lets talk CPU's by bonaduce
Started on: 12-25-2017 05:17 PM
Replies: 6 (222 views)
Last post by: bonaduce on 12-27-2017 04:57 PM
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After being an AMD guy for 2 decades why should I return to intel. Looking between an I5 and a ryzen5

dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you doing you think needs either?

Get HWMonitor from CPUID and Watch CPU and GPU speeds and usage/utilization.
If Win7... All CPU Meter and GPU gadgets @ addgadget.com is good too.

I have FX8370 and only time I can peg speed and usage is running benchmark tests or run Santa Tracker last night.
Same for R7 GPU most times. Can hit top speed but only for a few sec then drops back. Even then doesn't reach top 1/3 of usage.

If using Win7, Note that MS dropped support for both. MS only support them w/ W10. search Cnet and other trade rags.
ETA--> Sorry, MS stop I7 support W7 not I5. Stopped support Some or all ryzen.

If Win7 has a problem w/ Windows Update cause high CPU usage.
HD/SSD tight on free space can slow down everything.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-26-2017).]

bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
apologies, should have been more clear. Currently running an fx-8150, 16 gb ram, and a 760 ti video card. I mainly use the computer for gaming and want to move into VR. With my current processor a new 1060/1070 will be bottlenecked by the CPU, if I upgrade the processor and not the gpu, then the gpu bottlenecks me. So looking at some combo bundles on newegg that do not include hardrives (pain in the butt transfering all data around). That is why I was asking about I5 vs Ryzen5

dan
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FX8___ beats I5 for most things.

FX8___ are 8 cores and big 8MB L3 cache.
But even act as 4 cores for somethings (You need to read how FX works.) I5 has 6 cores for only best CPUs, 8400 & 8600K, and most are clock locked. (xxxxK are unlocked).

Intel's Hyper Threading (xxxxU i think) is not same as real cores. I've been dealing w/ HT since Pentium 4 and Xeon first had the option. Helps a lot for many things but not much for most others. In some cases HT CPU are actually slower then non HT CPU even when both are same class Intel units. Even enable/disable using "BIOS" settings etc can see this on same CPU.

Note that "frame rate" in a game means little... What you really see are real frame for displays and many are ~60FPS or less. IOW Screen Refresh rates = ~60Hz in OS Control Panel is more like 20-30FPS at best.
Any faster then that is smoke in mirrors to make points w/ benchmarking folks etc and GPU/CPU gets hotter for little to no results. Worse Display(s) can look bad too because of frame tearing and other issues. Screen tears and other problem cause by high FR often get confuse w/ bottle neck whatever.
Toms hardware et al has covered this fact but very few read them and understand the Hype push by Nvidia EA etc. Many slam the stories are dump and have no clue, fan boys or worse Shills for Nvidia ATI(now own by AMD that loosing the ATI markings) etc.
Is why changing Video settings for most games matters a lot. Small setting changes can make a huge difference.

3D & VR are also related to screen refresh too. CPU/GPU pushing faster frame rates then Display can handle have same results but often way more obvious.
Or GPU is just dumping data to prevent tearing but CPU/GPU burning energy generating more heat making frames never shown.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-26-2017).]

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends which i5, if the new 8th Generation I'd go with that instead of a 1600x. Otherwise if looking at 7th gen's I'd go for the 1600x instead.

Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always been an AMD man myself. When doing research for my new system last week I decided to finally go with An intel I7 rather than a Ryzen. I looked at many factors and finally concluded that there is simply more support with Intel. BTW new system rocks!!
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info gents. After reading upteen articles on both processors, upgrading just isn't worth it to me at the moment. After pricing out all the components, it makes more sense for me to just purchase a whole new rig. Really don't want to go to windows 10, but swapping hard drives isn't an option either just to maintain win 7, and certain settings for programs that my advanced age has allowed to forget things about them. So I will hold off for a couple month's, change to a different email provider, get all my accounts updated, and then move into a new system. Will most likely be an I7.

thanks again

dan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock