Started on: 12-25-2017 12:32 AM
Replies: 22 (812 views)
Last post by: LitebulbwithaFiero on 12-27-2017 05:34 PM
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys I'm looking at a Ram Jet 502 for my 1995 Chevy truck. Does anyone have experience with this engine in particular? How about swapping to a big block? A couple of issues that I'm concerned about initially are the front accessories and the electronic transmission. Does anyone know if the original 5.7L small block accessories will bolt onto the big block or do I need to budget for the GMPP set ($1143)? Also, any thoughts on controlling the 4L60E ? Keep the original ECM for the trans control feature and just run it parallel to the new ECM for the 502 or buy the expensive GMPP transmission controller and be done with the original ECM? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big block will kill a 4l60e
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would it even bolt up?
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. Chevy was pretty good with there bell housing patterns. Main thing would be getting the correct flex plate, which should be no biggie
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The alternative to the 4L60-E is another $3423 for a 4L85-E plus another $1423 for the electronic controller. That's quite a bit of cash to outlay on top of the $12,279 for the Ram jet 502. At some point you just have to ask if it's better to buy a newer truck with an LS engine.

Still, a brand new engine and trans would last quite a while. Probably live longer than me.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really matters what you want out of it.
Get a lq4/ lq9 and 4l80e combo out of a slightler newer truck and install that. You could get both built and making as much power as the 502 (with out the low end grunt though) for I believe lower then the cost of the 502 alone.

I am not to good with the computer control side, but with my nbs truck, I could replace the 5.3/ 4l60e with a bbc/ 4l80e and use the original ecm. Definitely would make it easier to integrate into the truck

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 12-25-2017).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

The alternative to the 4L60-E is another $3423 for a 4L85-E plus another $1423 for the electronic controller. That's quite a bit of cash to outlay on top of the $12,279 for the Ram jet 502. At some point you just have to ask if it's better to buy a newer truck with an LS engine.

Still, a brand new engine and trans would last quite a while. Probably live longer than me.

Buy a newer truck with an LS and be done with it.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guys I'm looking at a Ram Jet 502 for my 1995 Chevy truck. Does anyone have experience with this engine in particular? How about swapping to a big block? A couple of issues that I'm concerned about initially are the front accessories and the electronic transmission. Does anyone know if the original 5.7L small block accessories will bolt onto the big block or do I need to budget for the GMPP set ($1143)? Also, any thoughts on controlling the 4L60E ? Keep the original ECM for the trans control feature and just run it parallel to the new ECM for the 502 or buy the expensive GMPP transmission controller and be done with the original ECM? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Chevy Bell-Housings will match up. The other guys (Buick / Oldsmobile / Pontiac) have the BOP bell housing (separate standard). So no problems there for your Chevy motors.

Accessories between big blocks and small blocks generally do not match up. There IS a difference between the motors, and most of the stuff is not interchangeable.

The torque produced by a 502 Ram Jet is insane. It's like 550lbs of torque right off idle. It would totally destroy a stock 6L80E. It's as they say... the transmission will be on borrowed time.

They were designed for Th-400s. So, you really need a purpose built 6L80E with all the heavy-duty stuff, or an Allison truck transmission or something.

Even the driveshaft should be thicker / stronger if you are going to go with good tires. That motor will pretty much tear everything apart.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your truck has a 16197427 pcm, it will run Vortec injection, TBI, or multiport injection and a manual tranny, a 700r4, 4l60e or a 4l80e. It is versatile. It would keep you from having to run separate engine/tranny controllers, or resort to an aftermarket controller. Lots of info at the gearhead efi site- http://www.gearhead-efi.com...7-PCM-Information-0D
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No advice here but I think it's a cool project and wanted to bump the thread.

One of my longest lasting and still closest friends did a conversion a few years back on his Chevy pickup.

He dropped a 500 cube Caddy engine into his 3/4 ton two wheel drive pickup. I don't remember what transmission he used but, he had several things done within the engine, better intake, better heads, different cam and what not. This thing is a frigging monster. It's got so much torque that he is having to strengthen the frame. While a lot of folks talk about being able to break the tires loose at speed, I've been with him when he let this thing loose at 60+ mph and I thought we were going to go sideways on the street.

Yeah, I love projects like this!! Git R Dun!!!

Rams
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2017 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

If your truck has a 16197427 pcm, it will run Vortec injection, TBI, or multiport injection and a manual tranny, a 700r4, 4l60e or a 4l80e. It is versatile. It would keep you from having to run separate engine/tranny controllers, or resort to an aftermarket controller. Lots of info at the gearhead efi site- http://www.gearhead-efi.com...7-PCM-Information-0D

Now that is something to consider. Thank you for the link.

And thanks to everyone for the comments. Things to ponder as I move forward.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 12-25-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do make a project out of it, we want a thread to follow
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're dropping 13k on an engine for a $1000 vehicle do it all right.

I'm in the buy something else category.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by blackrams:

No advice here but I think it's a cool project and wanted to bump the thread.

One of my longest lasting and still closest friends did a conversion a few years back on his Chevy pickup.

He dropped a 500 cube Caddy engine into his 3/4 ton two wheel drive pickup. I don't remember what transmission he used but, he had several things done within the engine, better intake, better heads, different cam and what not. This thing is a frigging monster. It's got so much torque that he is having to strengthen the frame. While a lot of folks talk about being able to break the tires loose at speed, I've been with him when he let this thing loose at 60+ mph and I thought we were going to go sideways on the street.

Yeah, I love projects like this!! Git R Dun!!!

Rams

Went to school with a kid who had a caddy 500 truck. Wonder if that was his dad or maybe his old truck. I think his name was Ryan Steele?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this a show truck?

If it were me, I'd be tempted to build up an LQ4 (truck version of the LS series V8). They're available in salvage yards, or as crate engines.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Went to school with a kid who had a caddy 500 truck. Wonder if that was his dad or maybe his old truck. I think his name was Ryan Steele?

Nope, my friend is from SE KS. First name is Creigh. The truck originally sported a 327 I think. He's had a tough time getting it to hook up. He still gets wheel hop at speeds of 60 mph +. I don't know what all he had done to the engine but, it's got every trick he could get done. He has never not taken top prize at any show he's taken it to. Mostly, it just sits in his barn now. He lives just off a gravel road and won't take it on those such roads. Has a lot of money wrapped up in paint. So, when he takes it anywhere, he trailers it to his sister's place and drives it from there. He put a Gear Vendors Overdrive on it for better fuel mileage. I told him that folks that can afford a truck like that don't really care how far it'll go on a gallon of gas.

Another BUMP for this thread.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 12-26-2017).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input guys. I’m still torn on what I want to do. For now I’m going to save my pennies and keep running ideas through my head. I really like the look of the ‘95 Silverado vs the newer trucks but I don’t want to close off any options. Maybe add a turbo to a newer LS motor will give me the kick I’m looking for?
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on what you want out of it.

This here would be a strong runner, but still realistic for a dd. Still would recommend a 4l80e behind it

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp93

Forgot the link, and if it doesn't work- go to Summit Racing and search hp93

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 12-27-2017).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the input guys. I’m still torn on what I want to do. For now I’m going to save my pennies and keep running ideas through my head. I really like the look of the ‘95 Silverado vs the newer trucks but I don’t want to close off any options. Maybe add a turbo to a newer LS motor will give me the kick I’m looking for?

Drop the big block or a 6.2 diesel in it, the hell with a new truck, that runs the pwr window switches through the ecm. New truck, new problems. 10 years ago, I did much the same research for a 91 Camaro RS, that I had, but life screwed that one. I would visit a chevy truck forum, or even thirdgen.org to get some info on the swap. There was a Silverado SS that had a 454 big block in it, you might be able to get mounts, radiator, exhaust and other odds ends from.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Depends on what you want out of it.

Precisely.

Doesn't matter to me which direction you go, most of what I'd do is not what other's would do. I like the old trucks also. While there's a lot of new technology that makes our rides more efficient, I can't work on a lot of it. I'd rather have my friends old Caddy powered Chevy than any of the other options out there. But, that's me. I've always believed that a person can't sit still, find a passion, pick a direction, set your sites on a goal and move toward it. I sincerely wish you the best in whatever direction you decide to go and would ask you to keep us in the loop as you move forward with this project. Remember, all advice is based on what the other guy would do. What you have to decide is, what do you want to do. What ever it is, we only go round once, make it a fun trip.

Rams

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked at getting an 8.1L dropout?

It is 496 cubic inches (330 hp @ 4200 RPM and 450 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm) and comes with accessory drive, matching transmission, fuel injection and ecm. It was used in the medium duty GM trucks.

They are fairly easy to come and not terribly expensive because they don't share many parts with the older BBC, so there isn't a line of hot rodders lining up to buy them and driving the prices up.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Have you looked at getting an 8.1L dropout?

It is 496 cubic inches (330 hp @ 4200 RPM and 450 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm) and comes with accessory drive, matching transmission, fuel injection and ecm. It was used in the medium duty GM trucks.

They are fairly easy to come and not terribly expensive because they don't share many parts with the older BBC, so there isn't a line of hot rodders lining up to buy them and driving the prices up.

This!!!!

I think this is an incredible idea. Most likely not a whole bunch of after market stuff available for this but, with that much torque, who cares. Unless you plan on racing, this is a very strong and reliable engine (I'm told). Paul, you da man!!!

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 12-27-2017).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raylar Engineering for 8.1l performance. They offer a 540 stroker kit among other parts. Be cheaper to build an older bbc

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock