Started on: 12-23-2017 01:46 PM
Replies: 22 (498 views)
Last post by: WBailey1041 on 12-28-2017 10:02 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-23-2017 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give this a try. It sounds strange at first, but DAMN it makes for a good lunch !

https://www.101cookingfortw...ubbed-sirloin-steak/

The only things I did different was use Himalayan pink salt, and fresh garlic rub instead of the powdered stuff.

(Damn, after this week the world is gonna think I am some sort of carnivore or something )
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
20-25 minute cook time? I can't take anything this guy says seriously.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+ 20 minutes prep time?
cook a sirloin 5 minutes per side...tops.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

+ 20 minutes prep time?
cook a sirloin 5 minutes per side...tops.

Yeah this guy has got an hour tied up in a $4 steak.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best steak I've ever had consistently. I try to go whenever I'm in town.

http://www.cattlemansranch.com/

I usually get 'The Cowboy' a 2 lb T-bone and a lobster tail.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

There is a Cattleman's in Oklahoma. I checked. No affiliation. They are often touted as a fantastic steak. My experience is MUCH different and it is quite hit and miss in my opinion. If I ever get in that area I'll check it out. Strange though. They have similar menu names and such.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never order a steak at a restaurant. They cannot beat a steak cooked at home.
I love a thick ribeye or porterhouse, with nothing but some crushed black pepper and salt. Get the grill HOT, throw in some chunks of mesquite and cook it RARE!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2017 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a restaurant steak, the only real place around here is The Keg.

Its not cheap, a meal for 2 with a beer and glass of wine runs just over $100, but for a treat once in a while its GOOD.

And they know how to cook a rare steak. Its still saying "moo" on the plate if you want it that way.

Kinda miss Ponderosa Steakhouse. Not in the top 5% but it was a decent teak and salad bar for a fair price.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any place that has good steaks probably also has good prime rib. I will order that because in order to cook at home, you have to have a lot of guests and spend too much time at the grill. To me, those two things do not work well together. I like to baste the prime rib with a strong red wine, and rub with with cracked pepper and garlic.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You wanna rub WHAT on my meat?!
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

For a restaurant steak, the only real place around here is The Keg.

Its not cheap, a meal for 2 with a beer and glass of wine runs just over $100, but for a treat once in a while its GOOD.

And they know how to cook a rare steak. Its still saying "moo" on the plate if you want it that way.

Kinda miss Ponderosa Steakhouse. Not in the top 5% but it was a decent teak and salad bar for a fair price.

Did you just go from touting this guy's desecration of meat to saying you like it super rare? Did you actually make and eat this abomination?
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Any place that has good steaks probably also has good prime rib. I will order that because in order to cook at home, you have to have a lot of guests and spend too much time at the grill. To me, those two things do not work well together. I like to baste the prime rib with a strong red wine, and rub with with cracked pepper and garlic.

I freapin love prime rib. I have made it a number of times. My wife and daughter like it too and the kid will eat the less rare portions which makes us happy. The biggest problem is, you cannot make a small batch and we really don't entertain anymore.I'm done with dropping $100-200 for a cut of meat and having to have people over so I can enjoy it. I used to manage a grocery store and the market manager sells me "select" ribeye rolls at about $4/lb, but it just isn't good enough for prime rib. I bought one yesterday that I am going to make as if I were serving prime rib, but then I am going to slice it thin and make roast beef sliders ala french dip. At $4/lb I don't mind buying this meat to make all kinds of things with and I have a KitchenAid mixer coming (Christmas gift for our family) and am considering grinding my own hamburger this time around. I want to see how it will turn out compared to the 80/20 "fine" I have been buying at $2/lb. Probably not worth the added expense, but would be great for chop steaks if that's your thing.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2017 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:
Did you just go from touting this guy's desecration of meat to saying you like it super rare? Did you actually make and eat this abomination?

Meh, I'm weird. How I like my meat done depends a lot on my mood, and what meal it is (Lunch, dinner, breakfast, mid-night snack).
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Meh, I'm weird. How I like my meat done depends a lot on my mood, and what meal it is (Lunch, dinner, breakfast, mid-night snack).

Curious.
Did you actually make it following his recipe?
Do you prepare/order your steaks well done?

If it is being served to me as a steak, I don't want it that way. Chop steak, sure. Burger, okay, but not preferred. I don't even want a well done sirloin. I'm not talking about eating it because that is what you have situations here.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm actually munching on one right now. They are great as a sandwich on a kaiser with some fried onions and mushrooms.

How I order a steak really depends on where I am. Some places its medium or medium rare, other cheaper places I dont trust it unless its a cinder with every possible thing inside roasted to oblivion. Dinner is usually medium-rare (usually) and lunch is a real crap-shoot depending on where we end up.

Remember, I've worked fixing appliances. I KNOW what restaurant kitchens can be like. There have been a few I've gone in to fix something and refused to even go back for a second service call, let alone eat there.

When I fry them up at home, its usually medium well. I just got in that habit simply because I'm not cooking 6 different steaks to suit 6 people. Ya get what I fry up and like it or lump it.

BTW, if you get a Tim Hortons steak sandwich, the choices are well done, well done, and well done.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 12-27-2017).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like my done, but not burnt. That is when it tastes the best to me
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm actually munching on one right now. They are great as a sandwich on a kaiser with some fried onions and mushrooms.

How I order a steak really depends on where I am. Some places its medium or medium rare, other cheaper places I dont trust it unless its a cinder with every possible thing inside roasted to oblivion. Dinner is usually medium-rare (usually) and lunch is a real crap-shoot depending on where we end up.

Remember, I've worked fixing appliances. I KNOW what restaurant kitchens can be like. There have been a few I've gone in to fix something and refused to even go back for a second service call, let alone eat there.

When I fry them up at home, its usually medium well. I just got in that habit simply because I'm not cooking 6 different steaks to suit 6 people. Ya get what I fry up and like it or lump it.

BTW, if you get a Tim Hortons steak sandwich, the choices are well done, well done, and well done.

Then you should know restaurants love when you order a steak well done. They get to use the older steaks.

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I like my done, but not burnt. That is when it tastes the best to me

... and that's fine. I'm just never going to make you a $20+ per pound of meat steak. You sir get sirloin or tri tip. Most decent places don't guarantee the quality of steak after it's cooked anything past medium.

Im not trying to force anyone to eat meat rare, but if you're putting $1 a bottle sauce on it for the flavor, we really didn't need to drop $20 or more dollars for you to eat A1 and ketchup. I don't let people touch my tyop shelf liquors with mixers either. No one without a blond taste test is going to convince me they can taste the different.... and if they can I'm betting their palette is refined enough to agree not to waste premium things with masks.

N9w go drink a gut rot and coke.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

My daughter in law is from El Paso and I am certain that this is the restaurant that we visited a couple of times. It is a ways out of town but I can personally attest that the rib eyes are quite nice.

Nelson

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2017 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

N9w go drink a gut rot and coke.

Well, since you insist....

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've said it before..learn how to pick out and prepare a Flat Iron steak and you'll never opt for a sirloin or poor quality rib eye again.
They're dirt cheap too.

It comes from a top blade roast. Normally, one side of the roast will have white fat and some silverskin on one side--remove that.

A top blade roast has a tough un-digestible membrane or connective tissue run down the middle of it, that needs to be filleted out, yielding two 1"flatirons. This is a flat iron steak, cut correctly. When the blade roast comes from the store, it would be these 2 halves flipped over joined together.

This, is a blade roast cut incorrectly IMO. They just crosscut the roast into little steaks and left the tough membrane in each one instead of cutting it out from the roast and making 2 big juicy steaks out of it.
You can see the membrane in both the already cut petite streaks and running lengthwise in the middle of the uncut portion of the roast.

This again, is a blade roast cut incorrectly and incorrectly called a flat iron, but you will often see it sold exactly like this in stores.. It was just cross cut, leaving that tough crap in there for the diner to have to deal with on his plate. This is a terrible way to serve a steak to yourslf, your family or guests.

If you must be lazy and ruin a good roast and steak, at least do this before you cook it:

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:
...$20+ per pound of meat steak
tyop shelf liquors

I am fine without either. It all turns to poop and pee the same
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I am fine without either. It all turns to poop and pee the same

There is a difference in the good stuff, but I agree that there are practical limits to the value of anything that goes in one end and out the other.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My significant other likes her steak medium well or well done. After a year of watching her desecrate fillet mignon, sirloins, and New York strips I finally found the ribeye cap steak at Costco. I can “cook” it to her liking and it stays tender. When prepared medium rare it’s like velvety butter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock