Amazing inside story of the Buick GNX by RotrexFiero
Started on: 12-16-2017 08:38 PM
Replies: 20 (887 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-26-2017 01:25 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2017 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2017 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, nice read.

I knew a guy that got a GNX his grandmother bought him. Was a waste of a fine automobile. He totaled it within three months of getting it. It was a sad day when we learned about that GNX's demise. No one cared about how the driver made out. Shrug
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have to wonder if the Pontiac people were thinking the same thing. Demise of the Fiero, why not make one FIero GNX? Would have been cool.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I took my V8 Fiero to a state collector car sale, I had a guy offer to trade me an all original Regal version of the GSX, t-tops and all. He wanted an even trade, but the Buick had a definite bottom end knock so I passed. Ive thought maybe I should have, but after the Fiero misadventures, I didnt want to have to bother with another engine build...didnt even know if it would get home without blowing up. Sold the Fiero for $5000 cash instead, losing about $15,000 in the end, out of about $20,000 I had in it.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2017 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

When I took my V8 Fiero to a state collector car sale, I had a guy offer to trade me an all original Regal version of the GSX, t-tops and all. He wanted an even trade, but the Buick had a definite bottom end knock so I passed. Ive thought maybe I should have, but after the Fiero misadventures, I didnt want to have to bother with another engine build...didnt even know if it would get home without blowing up. Sold the Fiero for $5000 cash instead, losing about $15,000 in the end, out of about $20,000 I had in it.

Too bad.

The GNX was capable of 140 MPH so it could have found a spot in your stable.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only wish the Fiero could have reached the status of the GNs. Everything about it was unique, and I guess in its day it was popular and so because of that there are so many around. Diminished the value of them.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2017 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing Ive had slower than 140 in years, is my beater Caravan. The Tesla barely tops that.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only thing Ive had slower than 140 in years, is my beater Caravan. The Tesla barely tops that.

So glad to hear you have more than one car that will do 140 MPH.

Would you like to share the plate numbers with the crew here?

No particular reason, just for curiosity's sake.

Honest.

[This message has been edited by RayOtton (edited 12-19-2017).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I said HAD. I only have the Caravan, Tesla, diesel RV that does all of 80, other with 454 chevy does 100. Who remembers all the license plates of 50 years of cars. I can barely remember all of the 150+ cars ive owned at all ( I do have a written list to help). Only ones I can because they were personalised was AMG BENZ (AMG SL), F4D (Another AMG SL) , STING U (Superbee), and Ferarri (my kit/ intentionally misspelled). Your welcome to run all of them if you want to check and the DMV will allow you. The collector who bought the Superbee did keep it, so may be registered to him now.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-20-2017).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A fun hours watch.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-20-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your welcome to run all of them if you want to check and the DMV will allow you. The collector who bought the Superbee did keep it, so may be registered to him now.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do love GNs, sure I do want one, probably wont ever afford one. I find that most of the things said about the GN being revolutionary are deserved, however are mainly in reference to its being fast. Its interesting to me that he Fiero is far far more revolutionary than the GN or GNX, it just happened not to come out of the box beating Ferraris. Its even more unique, and more of an outcast. I love it even more.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Check out the vid I posted at 55:46, the GNX wasted the Callaway twin turbo Vette.

86fierose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 213
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroseSend a Private Message to 86fieroseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine has a minty fresh GNX with less than 6,000 miles on it. The thing is beautful.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2017 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierose:

A friend of mine has a minty fresh GNX with less than 6,000 miles on it. The thing is beautful.

Cool. Was it a low mile "barn find"? There was a video and article about a super low mile one but I couldn't find it.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2017 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a recent article about a barn-find, two Buicks, I believe they were just GNs. Nonetheless, pretty amazing.

Another, a video on YT, was with Jay Leno with him visiting a showroom where there was a mint GNX.

86fierose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 213
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroseSend a Private Message to 86fieroseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Cool. Was it a low mile "barn find"? There was a video and article about a super low mile one but I couldn't find it.

No. He was always a Grand National guy who had 3 or 4 of them previously and bought the GNX in from the original owner back in the mid 90s.. He originally intended to drive and modify it, but something told him to keep it stock and in the garage so he tucked it in and bought another Grand National to build.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watched Black Air.

Makes me want to go out and find, buy, a GN.

Why is there no video like this for the Fiero? No one here has any video production skills?

Gotta love the mystique that these cars created.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2017 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RotrexFiero

3692 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Anyone think the guy who kept his GN in a plastic bubble was a bit strange? Obsessed?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Anyone think the guy who kept his GN in a plastic bubble was a bit strange? Obsessed?

I kind of think the guy who only trailers it is also obsessed.
But, it takes all kinds. At least the car sees the light of day.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock