Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  California is at it again. Mileage Tax (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
California is at it again. Mileage Tax by blackrams
Started on: 12-13-2017 09:52 PM
Replies: 120 (1625 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 12-18-2017 07:41 AM
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Sure buddy sure.. flat tax only if it taxes everyone but ,
well,
you..!!!

Lol, everybody pays a flat tax. Even the people who would have proposed them. That's kind of the point.
IP: Logged
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

I'm dieing , doctors my ratings bar months, to maybe a year+ but whatever you say.

Lol, whatever you say... I have no way of verifying this unless you'd like to fill out some paperwork to make me your personal representative.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/f...entatives/index.html

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 12-14-2017).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Lol, everybody pays a flat tax. Even the people who would have proposed them. That's kind of the point.

Sure buddy sure , and everyone uses and pays into s.s. and uses Obama care.. oh wait those making the rules don't..
yet it'll be different THIS TIME
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sure buddy sure , and everyone uses and pays into s.s. and uses Obama care.. oh wait those making the rules don't..
yet it'll be different THIS TIME

Neither of those are an example of a "flat tax".

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Neither of those are an example of a "flat tax".

Nor is the one you are floating..
example a rental, that has thousands of users a year that flat tax on that one unit got divided buy thousands of drivers, unlike the single driver or person living in the state.. not so flat now is it. That tis only one example..
taxi/lyft/ubber/bus/etc would fall into that same divided by thousands of users on a single unit..
try again. but it tis me that sucks at math and formula's and doesn't understand how a flat tax works.. sure buddy sure..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A flat tax only works one way. Nothing you said makes any sense in the context of the argument.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A flat tax only works one way. Nothing you said makes any sense in the context of the argument.

Sure buddy sure..
if it was a fed flat road tax you'd be correct, but well, it isn't. so.. sure buddy whatever you say..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, it's obvious you're coming around now that you've finally googled it and discovered a flat tax isn't what you thought, it's considered to be a conservative idea. You should try figuring out what it is before you start arguing against it next time.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol, it's obvious you're coming around now that you've finally googled it and discovered a flat tax isn't what you thought, it's considered to be a conservative idea. You should try figuring out what it is before you start arguing against it next time.

Didn't google **** .. but keep assuming..

coming around, bawahahahaha..
keep dreaming buddy..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Didn't google ****

NO KIDDING!

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006
But seriously, now that you've figured it out, why continue to be contradictory?

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can see that.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll start with one word. Tourist, try to keep up, it is only one of the biggest tourist states in the union..
That fuel taxes catch every last one.. when they rent a car or ride a bus /taxi/lyft/uber as they are all added to the fee to use/ride.
or in a rental when you fill it up.

Again math/fomula input trash get trash #'s out..

IF, they do tax by the mile, they would keep the gas tax too. That way the alternative to gas, electric and hybrid cars will still have an economic incentive over gas "guzzlers". Gas is a sin tax in the eyes of current politicians.
Never give the Gov an opportunity to create a new tax.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Keel:

This has gone on long enough!
I was in talks with E.Furgal to buy his Indy and he brought up this forum for info and tech..
I will not be posting here anymore as to many assume way to much.. and are royal ___________ ______'s..
Even if I buy the Indy,
I will find other ways to get the info that dealing with this crowd..
No matter how good the info is..

I don't know who you are, and I never accused you of having two accounts, but this post is curious: how long does it take to buy a car? You joined in 2015, we are days away from 2018 and you say you were in talks before you joined this forum? But you don't own the car you started this forum for,......yet?

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 12-14-2017).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
California has absolutely crushed its middle class. These are the people who have fled the state.

All they have is a wealthy elite, who see no problem with higher taxes, because they can afford to pay them.

And, a lower class, who live on the streets or in burned out tenements, because they cant afford the housing or the cost of relocating.

The political party system is so jaded, there is no alternative point of view or , and so politicians run amok with a spending mentality as a solution to every social ill.

I really believe there is some sick ideology in the intellectual elite that have inhabited places like this. This is where most of the tech companies reside.

They look at a societal ill, say people throwing trash on the street, and then spend months, maybe years, developing an autonomous robot to pick it up trash.

They then boast, in the most ego-centric and narcissistic way similar to their celebrity friends in Hollywood, how they have labored so hard to help the common folk who are struggling to overcome some external oppression (whatever the flavor is this week).
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keel double posts E.Furgal's next quoted post.

If you are leaving this world, then you know we would care. But, you are a mess, and pushed us away. I will not chase you.

Keel is from Hawaii. Furgal is a Boston cat. I have a really great memory, and I do not recall an Indy for sale thread. Even if so, Keel is a hapless roofer. Not being a dick here, only using my life long construction experience and business owner intuition, but how many roofers do you know of that can afford to ship a car to Hawaii? It is possible, but not for most. Alcohol has a deciding factor in how much one is able to accomplish.

Now, back to your insane treatment of us here...
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I don't know who you are, and I never accused you of having two accounts, but this post is curious: how long does it take to buy a car? You joined in 2015, we are days away from 2018 and you say you were in talks before you joined this forum? But you don't own the car you started this forum for,......yet?

Yeah, if you had doubts before about his multiple profiles those doubts should be fleeting after this thread.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, if you had doubts before about his multiple profiles those doubts should be fleeting after this thread.

It would be so easy to prove us wrong, if we were wrong. We will never see that proof though, because we are not wrong.
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really don't understand the outrage here. They are replacing a gas tax with a mileage tax, because a mileage tax is far more efficient and identifying who uses the public resource.

This prevents people who don't use the roads from paying for them, and those who use the roads the most have to pay the most for them. That sounds incredibly fair. Am I missing something?
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

The hold up is me, I don't want to get rid of it until I'm 100% sure the doctors are correct. when the time comes, he'll get it..
He has been nice about it and was understanding about it.. Wife has everything needed if and when the time comes and the info is already for the title..
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We all benefit from the roads, regardless of whether, or how much we drive.
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

How much wear is the guy or gal that works from home doing to the roads compared to the one that has to commute ?
or the lyft/ubber/taxi drivers, pizza drivers, Do you think some cause much more than others, or do you think it's all the same?
I'm sure the old lady that goes to the market once every other week and to church on Sunday is causing all that wear, right, ? right..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 12-14-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much wear is the guy or gal that works from home doing to the roads compared to the one that has to commute ?
or the lyft/ubber/taxi drivers, pizza drivers, Do you think some cause much more than others, or do you think it's all the same?

It is all more or less equal, because of the goods and services we all use. As an example, someone who never drives must have everything brought to him, and that requires increased truck traffic.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure the old lady that goes to the market once every other week and to church on Sunday is causing all that wear, right, ? right..

If she never left her house she'd still be using the roads. The roads are public, if one pays more than the other for the existence of roads, shouldn't people who pay more get a higher priority on the road than anyone else? That would make sense in your fantasy land.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

It is all more or less equal, because of the goods and services we all use. As an example, someone who never drives must have everything brought to him, and that requires increased truck traffic.

I'm sure he'd like it if we just did away with public roads and went to all toll roads. Then everybody pays for their share of driving regardless of fuel.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damage to roads is caused primarily by two things: weather and heavy trucks. The damage done by light vehicles is negligible. We all benefit from the infrastructure in many ways that we don't think about on a daily basis.
When I was a kid in Florida in the '50s and '60s, the vehicle license tax was based on the weight of the vehicle. A Cadillac paid more than a VW.
We need simpler tax structures, not more complicated ones.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like hell it does.. Many only go to get what they need 2 times a month, Everything.. Some even less, My grandmother went once every 3 weeks, less in the garden weather months.. I learnt to cook and bake from her and also how to freeze food and can it, So you cooked more than you need and had 2-3 meals from one..
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

I'm sure he'd like it if we just did away with public roads and went to all toll roads. Then everybody pays for their share of driving regardless of fuel.

And what do you call this mileage tax, tolling for use of the roads..

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And what do you call this mileage tax, tolling for use of the roads..

That was my point.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Like hell it does.. Many only go to get what they need 2 times a month, Everything.. Some even less, My grandmother went once every 3 weeks, less in the garden weather months.. I learnt to cook and bake from her and also how to freeze food and can it, So you cooked more than you need and had 2-3 meals from one..

You're really struggling to grasp what we are saying today.

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was my point.

A flat tax on road use is also the same..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your insane ranting in the rest of this thread says otherwise.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd certainly agree with that. But some use it far more than others and there are other ways to pay for it in a more fair way. A tax for the mail delivered on them(into the cost of stamps), the public transit ridden on them(part of tickets) and goods and services(paid for by the truckers, which would raise the cost of transit).

There should be a tax for bikers as well, but seeing as they do next to no damage to roads they do not increase the cost of maintenance. Id rather let one small group of people get away with it than punish a larger group of people for buying cars that require more gas. However, as I type this, weight should certainly be a factor but measuring that is not practical.

Maybe there should be two funds, one for expansion projects including lane expansions and new roads(everyone pays this) and one for the maintenance/repaving of roads(paid for by the mileage tax).

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 12-14-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your insane ranting in the rest of this thread says otherwise.

The tax is the same a toll on use of roads, but who pays what and if everyone gets the same hit isn't..
You fail to understand a guy owns a car gets hit with your 130 a year, the ubber driver services thousands of people and they divide that 130 bucks by those served by that one unit(vehicle) that was taxed the same 130 but drove 100 times more on the road than the poor guy that was the only driver and wasn't driving for a living, putting much less wear on the roads, but paying the same as the ubber/lyft/taxi/etc unit(vehicle) that is on the road 6-8 hours or more a day.

Your flat tax isn't equal or fair,,
I get that you think if everyone pays the same it is fair, but the person using it 100 times more gets a mighty nice deal while the guy/gal that puts 5k a year gets the shaft. If the tax is really about the repair cost and wear.. not a ticket to ride(admission to the road system) tax.. we already have that you pay it to have tags on your vehicle..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 12-14-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The uber driver doesn't pay tax, the trucker doesn't pay tax, it always gets marked up and passed on to the consumer. This is what you don't understand, this is why you make a fool out of yourself.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2017 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The uber driver doesn't pay tax, the trucker doesn't pay tax, it always gets marked up and passed on to the consumer. This is what you don't understand, this is why you make a fool out of yourself.

You are missing the fact that , That that unit(vehicle) gets taxed once but that dollar amount got divided by every thing it serviced, Were the normal slob driving to work gets pay the full amount .. That isn't a flat tax..
That's a per unit tax..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The roads are public, the ownership is equal, that's why the laws in theory all apply the same to everyone. The usage and maintenance costs are an issue but the tax is for the ownership, not the usage.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would be great if governments actually used all the money from gas taxes and vehicle registrations to PAY FOR UPKEEP. They dont now, as government prefers putting everything they can in a general fund to spend on whatever. Theres a problem here with the local soccer sports team threatening to move out of state. For whatever reason I cant understand, people are fighting to keep them here. They say they will only stay if the city builds them a brand new stadium in the high priced immediate downtown area. They have a perfectly fine stadium right now they dont have to share with anyone thats only a mile from where they want their new one. Its been suggested that gasoline taxes be raised to build a new multimillion dollar one. WHY? I say call their bluff and let them move and find a new money making way to use the present one. In the meantime, 1/4 of the cities bridges are just above being condemed.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can tell ya if it happened in my state I'd have to quit my job.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock