Fiero and Family price...99 Ford Ranger by FriendGregory
Started on: 11-11-2017 11:01 PM
Replies: 19 (420 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 12-05-2017 03:38 AM
FriendGregory

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2017 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My new truck is mighty fancy but, does not have the nimble feel of my Ranger. Not sure if it is the weight difference, or the immediate response speeding and slowing of the manual shift, or maybe the fluffy tires but, I really prefer the Ranger. That said, the Colorado is here to stay. The wife keeps lying about how soon she is going to try driving it.
So, check my ad, tear me down personally, and if you want it for $4500, say that your other car is a Fiero.
https://sfbay.craigslist.or...1999/6377817186.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

My new truck is mighty fancy but, does not have the nimble feel of my Ranger. Not sure if it is the weight difference, or the immediate response speeding and slowing of the manual shift, or maybe the fluffy tires but, I really prefer the Ranger. That said, the Colorado is here to stay. The wife keeps lying about how soon she is going to try driving it.
So, check my ad, tear me down personally, and if you want it for $4500, say that your other car is a Fiero.
https://sfbay.craigslist.or...1999/6377817186.html

It's a really great truck, I've got a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport which is built off the same platform (but with a 4.0L) and I love it.

The fact that it has 215k miles on it gives me hope that my 150k+ mile car has many more miles on it.

But isn't $4,500 a bit much for a car with that many miles?

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-"Manuel shift"

What did he shift?

-Pricing it that far above KBB value is going to turn away a LOT of potential buyers, even if you priced it high knowing you'll 'come down' to make someone feel like they got a deal

-Time to clean the garage!
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2017 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad when people think a run of the mill, nothing special 19 year old used vehicle with 215k on the clock is worth 4500.00
good luck with it, but with the amount of choices out in cali, of vehicles with no rust.. a ranger would be a hard sell at 2k over the going rate ..
we have a 2004 sport trac with the 4.0 v6 and wife loves it, but used vehicle prices are nuts.. these things should be 500-1200 all day every day. for a ford ranger, maybe more for a really clean loaded one, and 4x4..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 11-12-2017).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Except for the 200K miles, he would probably get close to his asking price if it were here.
They make good farm/ranch trucks and well cared for used trucks of all ages are always in good demand, especially 4wd.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2017 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Except for the 200K miles, he would probably get close to his asking price if it were here.
They make good farm/ranch trucks and well cared for used trucks of all ages are always in good demand, especially 4wd.

Texas a ranch truck at half that price would be a full sized ford 150 73-92 or chevy.. 67-87
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wifey works on a farm as the horticultural adviser so we bought a '96 Ranger 4x4 for her to tool around in.

Found it on Craigslist. 170K miles, outside fair with no rust, inside incredibly clean, strong 4.0, good tranny - $2300
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My father's last farm truck was a '97 Ranger. Had a different (full sized F-250) for a farm to market cattle hauler) .
Lots of farm/ranch people nowadays buy a small used 4wd light truck for about 1/2 what a RTV would cost. Heavier trucks are just too big, weigh too much, and run around the place mostly empty to be doing nothing but checking on cattle and fences, which where a ranch truck spends most of it's time.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
It's a really great truck, I've got a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport which is built off the same platform (but with a 4.0L) and I love it.

The fact that it has 215k miles on it gives me hope that my 150k+ mile car has many more miles on it.

But isn't $4,500 a bit much for a car with that many miles?

It does have the 4.0, runs very strong. Changed the oil soon I hit the next 5K miles and has been very solid. The intake leaking is a well known code for left / right sensors. Yea, high. I have not enjoyed offering my real price and some a-hole comes back with a 20% offer.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

-"Manuel shift"

What did he shift?

-Pricing it that far above KBB value is going to turn away a LOT of potential buyers, even if you priced it high knowing you'll 'come down' to make someone feel like they got a deal

Yea, I should check KBB to offer it more near a realistic price. Manual shifted open cans of paint and cleanup water in the trash and that is the mess on the gate.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by E.Furgal:Sad when people think a run of the mill, nothing special 19 year old used vehicle with 215k on the clock is worth 4500.00
good luck with it, but with the amount of choices out in cali, of vehicles with no rust.. a ranger would be a hard sell at 2k over the going rate ..
we have a 2004 sport trac with the 4.0 v6 and wife loves it, but used vehicle prices are nuts.. these things should be 500-1200 all day every day. for a ford ranger, maybe more for a really clean loaded one, and 4x4..

There you go shoulding yourself again! The Ranger is very popular. The last year with low miles sells for more than they sold new. Fans of the truck are pissed that they stopped making it. I did shop for and automatic Ranger before I settled on the Chevy. It is like a Fiero except much more useful. The Ranger has paid for itself over and over with the work it has done for me. If I had a nephew with a truck fetish I would maybe toss that his bone in exchange for some labor. Funny, none seem to be interested in something to do work.
PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

-"Manuel shift"

What did he shift?

Yea, I will hit KBB and adjust. Thanks.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by maryjane:
My father's last farm truck was a '97 Ranger. Had a different (full sized F-250) for a farm to market cattle hauler) .
Lots of farm/ranch people nowadays buy a small used 4wd light truck for about 1/2 what a RTV would cost. Heavier trucks are just too big, weigh too much, and run around the place mostly empty to be doing nothing but checking on cattle and fences, which where a ranch truck spends most of it's time.

Yea, my buddy is still thinking about it. His gripe is that it is a Ford. He only does Chevys. He has been in the truck many times when the truck was asked to work. He like how it handled the muddy hills and soft grass better that his 454 Dually.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:Sad when people think a run of the mill, nothing special 19 year old used vehicle with 215k on the clock is worth 4500.00

Well, seems you are very much right. Was at 4,500 and very little interest. Just bumped it to $4000. The real sad thing is I have spent most of that in repair of the clutch by the dealer because I thought I would get the truck back faster(F'en wrong), and more than 4K in the last year with the new tires and battery. I am getting a little experience why I have seen so many cars in the auto wreckers that just "needed a little work" to be pretty good vehicles. Makes a big difference working on them myself.
The real price of a used car / truck is what a seller and buyer agree to. I would sort of like to keep it but, I just do not want to have so many things hanging around. My Dad died with about 14 cars, most were not of any value considering what the lack use and time did to them.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

most were not of any value considering what the lack use and time did to them.

Kind of like some people I know...
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing against that vehicle, I wouldn't spend mpre than 2k on it. What you have in it isn't my problem as a buyer. A lot of cars to be had in the $5000 or less category. Good luck with your sale.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach: Nothing against that vehicle, I wouldn't spend more than 2k on it. What you have in it isn't my problem as a buyer. A lot of cars to be had in the $5000 or less category. Good luck with your sale.

Wife says, get a new truck, an auto so I can drive it too. Yea, she has still not sat in the drivers seat yet and I have pleaded, "help me not feel stupid". The Ford feels much more sure footed than the Chevy Colorado, I still prefer the Ford but, I am just trying to move forward without a lot of random(ok, more random) stuff. I will just keep dropping my price until it sells. There has to be a lesson or two in this experience. Oh, and the Chevy is supposed to get better gas mileage but, so far only 1 MPG over the Ford. I hope it is a breakin thing.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rangers sell for good money around here, as long as they're not rust piles.

We have several at work, and have had several others over the years. All 3.0 V6s. When we finally retire them, they're pretty much used up, but the management sells them... Cheap, yeah, but they sell fast. I had an older S-10 as a personal vehicle for several years and I prefer it over the Rangers, but I do like the Rangers because they're nimble and do well on construction and mass-grading jobsites. We had some full-size Dodge pickups for awhile too and they wallowed around off-road and got stuck in the tiniest ruts where the Rangers never would.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems it was worth $3999. It went to the right person, a lady that inherited a property in Mendocino county CA and has a fair amount of dirt to cross to get to the house. Her dad, she describes as a hippie, had a lot of tools and guns. I think it is a good match. I told her I would be happy to help her move the guns when and if she decides she does not want them.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2017 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Sad when people think a run of the mill, nothing special 19 year old used vehicle with 215k on the clock is worth 4500.00

I was looking at a 1998 F-150 (2WD) on the weekend. Guy wants 8k for it.

NOT gonna be happening anytime in this lifetimes.

Last 90's truck I bought was a 1999 Sierra 4 years ago, and I only paid 2500 for that one. I love the utility of a pickup, but prices on them have gone just crazy-stupid. They have become the same sort of status symbol BMW's were in the 80's or Coopers in the 2000's. (Yes, I just had to have both. I'm smarter now)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock