Started on: 11-07-2017 02:03 PM
Replies: 7 (215 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-08-2017 04:53 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the CTSV in for an oil change and make an extra key fob (for me). The dealers wouldnt do the oil change. It seems Cadillac will only change oil at over 7500 miles or 1 year and not anything less. Its only got 5.000. So dealers dont want anything to do with the 'every 3000 miles' myth. On the other, an extra key is $475.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must still be on the break in oil. Break in oil is supposed to be in for a certain amount of miles/time in order for it to do its job. If it's already had its break in oil changed, you need to find a new dealer. Break in oil change timing has nothing to do with the regular/normal intervals. My Victory Vision motorcycle (bought brand new) needed the break in oil changed after 600 miles than the new (regular) oil changed @ about 2500 miles. Normal intervals after that.

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 11-07-2017).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this the infamous CTS-V? If so, I would not trust a dealers opinion on how often oil should be changed
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2017 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I took the CTSV in for an oil change and make an extra key fob (for me). The dealers wouldnt do the oil change. It seems Cadillac will only change oil at over 7500 miles or 1 year and not anything less. Its only got 5.000. So dealers dont want anything to do with the 'every 3000 miles' myth. On the other, an extra key is $475.

Was this you paying for the change or was this the included free service ? Sounds like the latter.. As there is no way any dealership would turn away a bowl of gravy.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even in the 70's & 80's 3000mile/3mo interval for most cars was push by rip offs like Jiffy Lube.
Problem is people still believe this same crap.

Notice the highlight word... Mainly... Most vehicle are not "mainly" driven under the condition listed in Schedule 1 aka Severe Duty
Most people should use Schedule 2, 7,500mile/12mo interval.
Most cars and light trucks in 70's - 80's have same data in their owner book and FSM too but Jiffy Lube et al completely ignores this and use 3000mile BS.

Side note: First 2 conditions are because oil won't heat enough to drive out condensation from moisture in air as engine cools down and gas from running it. Oil can look like coolant leak problem but any gas/water buildup in the oil is bad for the engine. That Lady that drives to church etc a few block away as many Used Car jokes can actually hurt the car because of this.

Many Car makers now call for 5-15 thousands mile change intervals even for "Severe use" vehicles. Data can often will change by brand and model so Read the Owner Manual. Example: 07 Kia Sportage OM call for 5000mile/4mo for all driving and doesn't bother w/ charts like above.

Please ignore M1 "Annual Protection" and any others "extended" oil. May work but is best for another topic. Like M1 likely requires M1 best filter for M1 warranty etc. Stay w/ Dealer and owners book data.

Stop Changing Your Oil! Breaking the 3,000-Mile Habit edmunds
Stop Changing the Oil Every 3,000 Miles Already! Time

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-07-2017).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My father took his 2008 CTS4 to the dealer for a list of issues, among them a burned out Daytime Running Light, the Cadillac dealer in Plymouth claimed would cost $2000 to replace just one. He promptly left and traded the POS in on a 2016 Ford F150.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
My father took his 2008 CTS4 to the dealer for a list of issues, among them a burned out Daytime Running Light, the Cadillac dealer in Plymouth claimed would cost $2000 to replace just one. He promptly left and traded the POS in on a 2016 Ford F150.
Because Many are made as one piece light fixtures and can't just fix LEDs etc.
My Kia SUV got hit and cost to insurance was $500+ just for 1 HL assembly. That's just came w/ normal bulbs for park turn and 9003 HL. HID LED etc built in can easy double or more that cost. Worse many times you have little or no access to replace the whole fixture w/o taking other parts out/off the car. Example: Many 3rd brake lights you destroy to remove them and even that can be hard to impossible to replace. 3rd BL in a wing often means replacing the wing.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shop sends me all the Cadillacs they get for burned out front lights. Price is generally about $400. You have to remove the front facia/bumper, both front wheels and wheel liner, grill, and on some models you have to loosen/ remove a fender and detach the hood hinge on that side. Its a 2-3 hour job and the bulb has a built on computer chip...and costs $100.$200 each.

Yes this CTSV has its original oil in it. Its under the premium plan for free changes and service for 4 years..which meets warranty requirements. Its not a prefer or not...they WILL NOT change it at less than 7500 miles or 1 year...unless you want to pay the $90 pay oil change. All 3 local Cadillac dealers said the same thing.I do have a record of being there now though, so as long as the warranty stays in effect the owner will do what they say. Since it wont get the miles put on it, we will just go every July and get the required service. They would change the oil every week if you want...for the $90 service. Far as I know no manufacturer who installs synthetic oil uses any form of break in oil any more. I think that went away with flat tappets.

My own plan is on regular oil, I change it every 7500 miles or 1 year, and on synthetic I change it every 10,000 or 2 years. Followed that for decades with no engine problems on anything. Miles or times are just approximate and sometimes I exceed them.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-08-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock