Started on: 11-06-2017 07:16 PM
Replies: 13 (728 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-07-2017 01:35 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2017 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked one up today, the small $20/ 3xAAA battery size and all I can say is HOLEY CRAP !

(Remember, this is just a AAA penlight).

From 10 floors up on flood setting it still lights up the parking lot.

On focused beam, it shoots a clear beam 4 blocks away....and that only because the street is 4 blocks long before it hits a building.

The "strobe"/ defense function brings on disorientation and slight nausea in seconds, never mind it is so bright you have no CHOICE but to turn your head and look away. I have no doubt this thing can stop an attack..

and this is the smallest one !!!---YES, I am getting the biggest one next time I get near that store. It is TWICE as bright as this one !!

<COOL !!--After all these years, I FINALLY have my death-ray weapon. BBBWWWAHAHAHAHAHA ....well, not quite a death-ray. But close. >

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-06-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luckily you probably didn't pay a ridiculous amount but these flashlights are just rebranded Chinese lights. With a sleeve you should be able to run a rechargeable 18650.

I've got a collection of these going, I can get them for around $5 so I order them every so often, I've got them stashed around the house.

I've given many of them away, like you said, it's a crowd pleaser and at only $5, I'mhappy to let someone broken down on the side of the road keep it.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 11-06-2017).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFViT0PAx0I
About 1/2 of the Amazon reviews are pretty bad too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell...ewerType=all_reviews

I have a different one,green, that came with a universal under-barrel rifle mount too. 3xAAA batteries--800 lumens. Has the strobe and a remote switch to connect near rifle trigger. At 100 yards, it'll light a beaver's head up pretty clearly.

They make much better ones, 1000 lumens or more, but they resale for closer to $100.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Allot of the lumen ratings are false.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, and even if accurate, they need to be converted to lux in reference to the area (sq ft) they illuminate at any given distance for the known illumination to be of any use too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bell+Howell is crap w/ an old name to fool people to think old Bell & Howell is still around and making good products.
Worse B+H is a licensing brand to sell to almost anyone to market under that name. In this case buyer for Taclight and some others is EMSON that make many "Seen on TV" junk products.

So when you see this name then expect whatever won't last long.

Polaroid and others are in same class now.
Sharper Image have sunk to very low levels and most they sold was crap before bankruptcy.
Even Clorox have license other companies to make things like EMSON.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-06-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not that they make junk, it's that they don't make anything, it's just laser engraved with their logo before its shipped from the same place in China where I buy mine. Some products under their label absolutely can be junk. In the case of these lights, I had some DOA about 5 years ago when I started buying them but since then, no problems. I have seen problems with people using 2 lithium cells instead one 1x 18650, the voltage is doubled and they run much hotter, many fail.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://amzn.to/2zoudC4

https://www.banggood.com/ME...06H&cur_warehouse=CN

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 11-07-2017).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2017 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

This it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFViT0PAx0I
About 1/2 of the Amazon reviews are pretty bad too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell...ewerType=all_reviews

I have a different one,green, that came with a universal under-barrel rifle mount too. 3xAAA batteries--800 lumens. Has the strobe and a remote switch to connect near rifle trigger. At 100 yards, it'll light a beaver's head up pretty clearly.

They make much better ones, 1000 lumens or more, but they resale for closer to $100.

Oh, GEEZE, man--gimme a break, here. I'm trying--not all of us have access to helicopter boar hunting with 7.62---we are doing the best we can !!!

<can you guys invade already ? Please ? like yesterday would be good....Bring guns, ammo and Marlboros, we dont need beer, THAT we got covered. >

Oh, yeh--I fergot....up here sining a light on a beaver----that means ya gotta cook her breakfast.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-07-2017).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long do the batteries last, when in use and when stored? That's usually the downfall.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How long do the batteries last, when in use and when stored? That's usually the downfall.

Depends which of the 3 settings is used. On the brightest setting, I can get about 4-5 hours of continuous use out of mine while looking for water rats. Almost 8 hrs alternating back and forth between high and a lower setting. I've had it since early 2016, replaced the batteries once.

My biggest complaint about my setup, is the rifle mount. It clamps on to the light fine, but on smaller barrels like a .22, it doesn't go down to a small enough size. Works great on the .270 and 20ga and pretty good on the sks tho. I don't have a picaninny or weaver style rail on any of my long guns so my mounting options are limited.
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://amzn.to/2yeq54k
If this mount is to large, it could easily be modified. Most variants of these flashlights fit in a 1" scope ring.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I have this mount for a infrared illuminator to go with a night vision setup.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2017 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Lithium batteries (one time and rechargeable) can last 8-10 years or more when stored. (stored between ~ 50° to 80°F. Too hot/cold can cause problems.)
But
Some Battery LED lights and other devices are off when switch is off but not all.
Problem is many devices have "standby" power etc and drain all batteries very low to dead. (all means all including alkaline, lead acid, NiCd, NiMH, etc.)
Example: Many Laptop and Tool LiIon batteries have battery monitoring circuits that can drain the batteries to low to charge even when batteries are pulled out of the device. Storing them for months can kill them. (YT is full of tricks to recharge when batteries are too low but you take a risk for fires etc doing this.)

You now think leave chargers on to store but having 100% battery charge all the time is often not good. Many will remember NiCd "memory problem?" Other types do not have exact problem but can have a short life w/ charger attach full time. Is part of why Laptop and other batteries die even for people that use a charger/powerpac every day. Batteries can "wear out" for charging whether or not the battery is low. Little known spec is # of charge cycles. Every time you charge, it counts as 1 cycle regardless battery is 99% to 0% of battery's operation range. So a Laptop going to/from work every day can see 250-365 or more charging cycles a year. Many use a powerpac at work and at home but not often use the battery and still have dead battery. This is why.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock