Started on: 11-01-2017 07:49 PM
Replies: 19 (467 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 11-06-2017 08:55 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do the underlined terms mean? Exactly what did the dealership do here? (the service manager wasn't there when we picked the car up..2013 Dodge Dart)

"Cause: radio stations not picking up, started a STAR case, after TGW wiring harness and antenna base were replaced DTC B142D-13-AUDIO ANTENNANOT CONNECTED-OPEN CIRCUIT is active and will not go away, verified with antenna special tool tester, opened STAR case #1733514 for assistance. performed test STAR requested, need to replace TGW per STAR

Correction: replaced main body harness with antenna harness, DTC still active, STAR requested a new radio/TGW be installed, work performed on RO 94403.

(2nd page)
Concern: cuatomer states mopar warranty ticket be made on vehicle. Radio still only picking up 2 stations on fm setting, check and advise.
Cause: STAR agent requested radio/TGW be relaced a 2nd time.
Correction: removed radio/TGW and installed new radio/tgw assy, cleared DTCs, tested operation of radio, all working properly, stations coming in clear and not dropping out.
"

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-01-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you want to know, the DTC (dealer warranty work order was started then when fixed closed (so the flat rate tech can get paid)
The STAR is a request for the work to be done under warranty and the dealer paid by fiat for it..
The rest is just parts replaced and tested, and reprogramed, the radio's have to be programed to work in the car and match the vin's with the main ecu

The star will stay open for a set time so incase it comes back with same issue, they have a ref # to star the next work order under the same warranty claim without having to file and get approval for again..
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
STAR is like tech support. Basically the mechanic replaced parts that didn't fix the problem, he was stumped, and called the hotline. The STAR agent sent him through some steps to try to resolve the issue. Looks like the actual problem was a defective radio, which was probably a lot more expensive for Dodge/Chrysler to replace under warranty that just some wiring.

TGW = Telematics Gateway (Radio)

DTC = Diagnostics Trouble Code (DTC Still Active = like check engine light still on)

Original radio probably had a bad connection on the PCB where the AM/FM antenna assembly plugged in, causing it to only pick up stations with good signals in the area. Instead of being able to take it apart and solder it, at a cost of practically nothing, they had to replace what was likely a $1000 radio assembly. It will probably be returned to the Tier 1 supplier as defective, and they'll get refunded.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RWD beat me to it. (I didn't know TGW, but it makes sense.)
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

RWD beat me to it. (I didn't know TGW, but it makes sense.)

Yeah, I looked for a while, came up with Trucks Go Wild.

Hmmm............... That may not help............

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things must have changed a lot since I worked at mopar dealer in the 80-90's..
85% of the work I did was warranty.. much of it turbo replacements..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found some/most of it.
TGW=TelematicsGateWay
(Telematics gateway 'module' is the new fancy name for the radio)

DTC=Diagnostic Trouble Code.

STAR=Service Technical Assistance Resource case.

It connects the service tech to all any other dealership and the plant itself's resources regarding any similar problem any of them have encountered and the best 'fix' any of them have found. In this case, replacing the TGW module (radio) and it's body harness--twice, as the diagnostic code showed an open somewhere in the harness or module itself.

There was more they did to it while it was in. Replaced the left headlight housing assy. It had been replaced last Jan by this dealership's sister GM dealership, (same name, but a GM dealer) but that new assy was defective, and was causing the left headlight relay fuse to blow. (there's a harness made inside the assy, and that's where the short was)

(edit--Well, RWDPLZ posted while I had to go outside for a minute--Thanks!!
They replaced what they called the antenna base 1st, and it didn't help the radio problem, so they ordered a radio for it. That didn't help either, so STAR 'told' them to change the whole harness and the radio--again)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-01-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69626 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Looks like the actual problem was a defective radio, which was probably a lot more expensive for Dodge/Chrysler to replace under warranty that just some wiring.

They changed the radio last week. Didn't solve the problem. They then changed the harness--didn't help. Then, they changed both a second time. Notice the "again" word in the invoice?

We've had a lot of trouble with this car, and it has less than 40k miles on it.
Replaced the transmission last year I think it was. Transmission module earlier this year. Now all this, but all under warranty so far.
When it's running right, it's a great car and we both like it.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69626 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Things must have changed a lot since I worked at mopar dealer in the 80-90's..
85% of the work I did was warranty.. much of it turbo replacements..

I replaced a turbo on one of those little Daytonas one time. It was a royal pita, twice as difficult as the one I changed on an early 80s trans am a couple years earlier.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I replaced a turbo on one of those little Daytonas one time. It was a royal pita, twice as difficult as the one I changed on an early 80s trans am a couple years earlier.

Meh, The mopr turbo's were not that bad, after you did 10 you got it down .. The t/a turbo was on top of the engine so much easier to get to.
The mopar turbo's it was the oil seals 99.% of the time.. I had a turbo with exhaust manifold under my bench ready to go all the time, we found that it was faster for the customers to have a set up already to go, so the swap went faster..
After the mopar warranty dept. came out and inspected the old parts and paperwork they either take them back for r&d or to go back to the supplier, or be marked to go to the dumpester.. We took many warrantied turbo's and resealed them .
I had one on my 80 sunbirds hatchbacks iron duke.. blown through.. worked ok, but cracked exhaust manifolds fast.. and lag was bad.. but it took my top sped from 85mph to 93mph. and it got there much faster.. I tost rods/cranks 3 times before I gave up on the duke and dumped a buick 3.8 in it.. and 2 mopar turbo's..
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

They changed the radio last week. Didn't solve the problem. They then changed the harness--didn't help. Then, they changed both a second time. Notice the "again" word in the invoice?

We've had a lot of trouble with this car, and it has less than 40k miles on it.
Replaced the transmission last year I think it was. Transmission module earlier this year. Now all this, but all under warranty so far.
When it's running right, it's a great car and we both like it.

The car was probably built on a Friday night. If you're not upside down on it, dump it ASAP. A transmission going under 40k and the radio being replaced TWICE are a sign of significant trouble ahead.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid cash for it.
We have considered trading it in for something from FoMoCo, or maybe a Jeep.
Regardless, this will be my last Dodge.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Ah the Mighty Dodge!

"NO BRAKES! NO BRAKES! *crash*"

From 'Requiem for a Chevyweight'

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plymouth..
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2017 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know Jeep is part of Chrysler-Fiat right ? Jeep=Dodge.

A LOT of cars with early turbos had problems. Mainly it was longevity and lag. I had a Turbo ES-600 4 cyl convertible. Other than the lag, it ran very well. Had as much (or seemed) power as the small V8 Mustangs and Camaros of the time. I sold it to buy a Mercedes 450 SL conv. Otherwise Id have kept it a lot longer. I love Mopar in general. I had a Sebring conv for 10 years and only had to spend money for a battery and a heater blower switch ($35) in 100,000 miles. My current mopar beater is a 2002 Dodge Caravan. Its got 125,000 had it for about 4 years and its needed a battery, wiper blades, heater blower resistor, and a turn signal switch. Most expense its needed was $150 for a muffler. Doesnt use a drop of oil annually between changes. It does have repaired usual rust around the rear wheel openings and rockers. Wish my smaller motorhome had a 440 Mopar engine and 727 trans instead of the 454 Chevy. Nothing but good luck with Mopar and have had dozens of them.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2017 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2017 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ol Sarge never had to drive or work on one of these things I bet. 3 wheeled Jeep CJ-3 powered APU. Still had a couple at Cherry Pt Marine Corps Air Station when I got there in '69. One ran, (kinda) and the other was for cannibalization. It was un-nerving for that little 28v generatpor to be sitting there whinning right beside ya.

Worse, was something called an NC-5 self propelled generator we had at both Ch Pt and in Vietnam. It was a little truck looking thing and I don't remember who made it--Consolidated rings a bell. Had a inline 6 in it, manual tranny with a transfer case to engage the generators and a knob of the dash you pushed a button on as you pulled out the knob to bring the throttle up and then twist to fine tune the cycles. Rough riding sob as there ever was and I always thought that 6 banger was going to fly apart before the maintenance crew got done with whatever they were doing on the aircraft.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2017 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
seems the dart is hit or miss,, either really good or full of issues.. Didn't take long for the fix it again tony to get online..

They should've never killed the neon, That was a basic cheap car that did well for what it was..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2017 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I know 2 other people here in my area that have the same year and model and they've been all but trouble free.
Doing a search, I did find that the 'radio' problem has been known for some time, with some people being able to get it fixed..some not.
One of several:
http://www.dodge-dart.org/f...-radio-problems.html

The problem was in the signal reception somewhere. All audio functions worked perfectly except the radio--it just wasn't picking up a signal or getting the signal TO the radio, or the radio couldn't process the signal. Nav aide (garman) worked fine, blue tooth connectivity (hands free option) to her smartphone and CD player worked fine, warning system worked fine.
If it had been my daily driver, I wouldn't have bothered with it...I never listen to the radio in my pickup anyway. Too many other options for hearing music nowadays..

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-06-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock