Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  If you've ever wanted to put an engine on a bicycle. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
If you've ever wanted to put an engine on a bicycle. by jmbishop
Started on: 11-01-2017 01:43 AM
Replies: 58 (1088 views)
Last post by: gen2muchwork on 12-15-2017 10:14 AM
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are on sale and warehoused in the US, $90 I'm trying to determine if I can order one without the wife murdering me.
https://www.banggood.com/80...R204001728477201506H
https://www.banggood.com/80...R204001728477201506H
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What she doesn't know....
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can neither confirm nor deny.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I regularly ride one for the last five years or so. and over 4500 miles My wife supports it (compared to a motorcycle)

What I can tell you about them...
They are chinese copy of a russian engine. The quality is a crap shoot with castings. Parts are really cheap just slow to ship. The kit will need "tweaking" to fit right, and it needs to fit right.
I've rebuilt the top end and piston 2x, and replaced the whole engine once. It's a wonderfully simple design
Per dollar, its the most fun machine I have. I love it!!
Put it on a steel frame bike if you can
Don't use fenders if you don't remount them extremely strong.
the gas tank is not made well. the bottom studs crack through the tank so easy. Plan on a better tank for piece of mind.
My bike made it fine, but I did upgrade the front brake. That is a worthwhile investment.
No car thinks you will be going 35mph and will turn in front of you
Spandex bike guys may react poorly as you smoke by in sandals and shorts
Wear a helmet.
be prepared to check torque on fasteners often.
Check the legality aspect. To be safe I made mine a moped. I did not want the harassment. I've surprised a few officers, nobody bugs me anymore.

There are forums for these motorbicycles too.

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 11-01-2017).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had one. Did the job, nothing impressive though. Not legal here, so only rode it a couple of times before taking it off.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently these are a grey area in texas.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Had one. Did the job, nothing impressive though. Not legal here, so only rode it a couple of times before taking it off.

Same here. I know a couple guys who have them and have ridden them.

So long as you stay off the main streets and stick to back roads and dont annoy anybody with it, most cops will pretend you dont exist.

Be an azzhole on one and, well...your gonna get appropriate attention

And your right, they can barely move my 215-pound carcass....downhill. (Man, whatever happened to the 185-pound, fit, trim MeM ? )
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A46volt weed whacker with a bank of 6 batteries..
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A good Stihl chainsaw comes straight from the factory with a sprocket and clutch........
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess these are for people that can't afford a moped? Personally, I don't see the point. If I want to ride my bicycle, I want to pedal too. If I want to get somewhere without using my muscles, I just drive.

I have seen park rangers writing tickets for people riding motorized bicycles, both gas and electric, on the bicycle path. I guess they didn't read the sign that said no motorized traffic.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seen above and other "kits" many times... Most are noisy to very noisy right from the start and get worse and often smokes a lot after cheap engines runs just a few hours.
Cheap Kits can do damage to the rider, bike and/or rear wheel because cheap brackets and hardware get loose or break.

Gas or electric motors on bikes varies by state, even by county or city in some cases.
So check local laws BEFORE buying. Examples:
In some cases you may not be allowed to use bike lanes in a city and/or trails in a park etc.
Your state may class them as Moped after conversion that need to register w/ and "tagged" by DMV and maybe insurance too. Many require to have a driver's license but not a MC License in most places. (Often goes by Engine CC and/or Max MPH. Most states limit Moped speed to 25-30mph Max. Quick overview see http://www.moped2.org/mstates.htm )

If you run w/o proper doc's etc and stopped then can have problems for driving w/o license, no reg/tag, or worse no insurance which get you a suspended license for 6mo to a Year in many states. If your stopped in Philly and others w/ Live Stop w/o current doc's then wave Bye Bye to the bike because they will impound it on the spot.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I (honestly) have no idea why an adult would want to put an engine on a bicycle...................
As a kid, I thought about it but, unfortunately, the Massey Ferguson engine I had access to was a bit too big or the bicycle.

There are so many cheap motorcycles out there, why would one bother?
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

I guess these are for people that can't afford a moped? Personally, I don't see the point. If I want to ride my bicycle, I want to pedal too. If I want to get somewhere without using my muscles, I just drive.

I have seen park rangers writing tickets for people riding motorized bicycles, both gas and electric, on the bicycle path. I guess they didn't read the sign that said no motorized traffic.

Mopeds are bulky , and heavy..
I'd like a motor on my bike That you could engauge . I've been known to put on my ipod and ride and forget how out of shape I am, get 25 miles down to the beach and then get off the bike to res some and then it hurts to try to pedal back that 25 miles, A motor would be ideal here..
My issue is once I stop, I could ride down to the beach and then back no issue but then you can't enjoy the beach or what is on it
I've done a 70 mile ride and was fine till I got off it for the day, Then even climbing stares sucked..
Can't pedal a moped 25 miles even if you wanted to in a day.. They are geared like a childs first bike,
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Carburetor included for better engine performance

Carb for "better" performance? Compared to what? A blender? A pair of dirty sweat socks?
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Carb for "better" performance? Compared to what? A blender? A pair of dirty sweat socks?

Hey, leave my sweat socks out of this........................
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These seem to be really popular with "preppers", they like the idea that you can ride it with and without fuel(because like you pointed out it's a moped for poor people) but also people just like them for what they are.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

me too and I do.
Not far, about 7 miles every day, but it keeps my heart working and my weight down. Wife rides her's along side me, and the 2 dogs follow behind. I drew the line at wearing that stupid helmet tho.
(we have both a high $ treadmill and an exercycle, but I much prefer the bike.)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-01-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are cheaper, easier to fix, and require less external supporting parts to work.. carb only needa air and a gravity feed fuel source. efi needs a hell of allot more to work.. nevermind a charging system and battery, o2 sensor /crank sensor,and fuel pump and wiring.. K.I.S.S.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Carb included for better performance"

I just took that to mean better.......... than just having a fuel line that was blanked off and an intake port with nothing bolted on to it........

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

They are cheaper, easier to fix, and require less external supporting parts to work.. carb only needa air and a gravity feed fuel source. efi needs a hell of allot more to work.. nevermind a charging system and battery, o2 sensor /crank sensor,and fuel pump and wiring.. K.I.S.S.

Lol, but efi was never a option. It claims an upgrade in performance, what's the alternative?

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 11-01-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I (honestly) have no idea why an adult would want to put an engine on a bicycle...................
As a kid, I thought about it but, unfortunately, the Massey Ferguson engine I had access to was a bit too big or the bicycle.

What do you Know, Ron....watched one of you guys at work today. guy took a helo with winds 20 gusting 40, set it down within inches of where its supposed to be...

Ya know how airplane pilots handle the same thing ?...line up with the runway, close your eyes, and pray "oh, **** , dont let me **** this up". Once a wheel is down, you can open your eyes again...

So there...
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I owned a couple of Whizzer motorbikes when I was a teenager. The engines were on heavy duty Schwin bicycles. At least they were four strokes, but no transmission so you were lugging the engine on start up and then over revving shortly later. I wish I had kept them. they're collectable now.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Schwins used to be the caddy of bicycles but are a cheaply made rustbucket nowadays. Wife has one and anything chromed is almost solid rust already and it's never spent a day or night without a roof over it's head and we bought it new in May this year. Needed 2 new tubes in the first week...I was sitting on the front porch early one morning and heard a "Pooooffffffftt' and the thing had just blew out while it was sitting on the front porch.

My brother has an old Rollfast bicycle I'd like to have..he doesn't ride it anymore and it's sitting in his shop with two flat tires.
They were pretty good bikes too.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
motor and 21 speeds, heck, build a light weight gocart with bike gear sets, and big rear bike wheels.. It be killer on those bike/trikes
Be the next best thing to the old Honda trikes they outlawed..
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

...I was sitting on the front porch early one morning and heard a "Pooooffffffftt' and the thing had just blew out while it was sitting on the front porch.

Something about the rubber they are using for tubes these days. I bought a brand new tube for a craftsman mower(meant to be tubeless but the sidewall refused to keep the air in). The tube didn't even expand, it just shredded instantly. Nothing poked it, it was just junk. I ordered one online, it inflated and as far as I know it's still holding air. Recently I gave up on the tubes, I when the tubeless tires refuse to hold air, I fill them with great stuff foam.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 11-02-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

motor and 21 speeds, heck, build a light weight gocart with bike gear sets, and big rear bike wheels.. It be killer on those bike/trikes
Be the next best thing to the old Honda trikes they outlawed..

These engines don't use the ratcheting sprocket so they are single speed on the motor. You clamp a new sprocket on the left side spokes for the motor.

It could be done though, you'd probably want to skip done sprockets.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2017 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Something about the rubber they are using for tubes these days. I bought a brand new tube for a craftsman mower(meant to be tubeless) but the sidewall refused to keep the air in. The tube didn't even expand, it just shredded instantly. Nothing poked it, it was just junk. I ordered one online, it inflated and as far as I know it's still holding air. Recently I gave up on the tubes, I when the tubeless tires refuse to hold air, I fill them with great stuff foam.

You get what you pay for.. but ya, foam is the way to go.. but I'd go to a heavy equipment fleet service and have them fill it with that foam it doesn't shrink from load like the home insulating type does.. When I had my case backhoe I had the tires filled, it was great.. The big rear tires were costly to fill but mower tires are tiny..
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Mopeds generally do not require a MC license, higher DMV fees, higher insurance, not even inspection in states that have them.
Many have them just to go to stores near by and can park bicycle types in any bike rack or even ride/carry/push electric ones inside many places. (Fire Codes and Building/Business Policies in many places won't allow gas engines inside most business etc.)

NY Class A mopeds are one of few require MC license because allow 30-40mph but class B & C doesn't.
Some like NY may class them "Motor-assisted Bicycle" depending on just how the that is done. These are often very limited power and/or speeds like many that uses a roller on a wheel to drive the bike to help user to get up a hill. Chain/Belt drive w/ gas engine often don't qualify in many states. E bike may or not count depending on max speed. E bike w/ max speed >19mph is a Motor Vehicle for Fed rules. https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...ycle#United_States_2

In DE: "Moped" shall mean a pedal or nonpedal bicycle having 2 tandem wheels, "Triped" shall mean a pedal or nonpedal cycle having 3 wheels, either of which is 10 inches or more in maximum diameter, and having an internal combustion motor characterized in that the maximum piston displacement is less than 55 cc, or an electric motor rated between 751 watts and 2,000 watts. (Based on http://delcode.delaware.gov...e21/c001/index.shtml 33 and 78 )
Under those limits don't need anything else that a normal bike/trike needs.
Top link above w/ 80cc engine any bike after install will class as Moped in most states.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-02-2017).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I owned a couple of Whizzer motorbikes when I was a teenager. The engines were on heavy duty Schwin bicycles. At least they were four strokes, but no transmission so you were lugging the engine on start up and then over revving shortly later. I wish I had kept them. they're collectable now.

I had one too, they were once very common but couldn't compete with the imports.
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New mopeds are not any better quality than one of these kits in my opinion. They are big, clunky heavy and made out of the same cheese metal, same quality control, and covered in plastic that has to be removed for any repair. A moped does not fit on my bike rack, I can take motorbike anywhere. If I kill it real good, a whole new engine bolts on quick for under $100. I've worked on many new chinese mopeds. I'll keep my motorbike. At least the frame I can trust. The only advantage to a moped is the ease of registration, and the aftermarket support of larger cc kits
I still say, for the price just buy the dang thing set it up right and go have some fun, I weigh 165 and my top speed has been 39mph on flat land. That feels like 138. Go have some fun, you could spend more on an overpriced restaurant dinner.
If you enjoy tinkering, 2 strokes, and bicycles it would be difficult not to smile on these.
IDK where you live, but there are a few racing events around too for these. When the detroit thunderdrome race finally opens a class for them i'll be all in.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pedal my bike on a designated bike/pedestrian/equestrian path every day between 12 and 20 miles. I do it for exercise, but I also enjoy it immensely. Whenever I see an adult on a motorized bike, I assume he is down and out.

I talked to a guy on an electric bike earlier this week who told me he rides back roads and the path to his regular meetings. Although I didn't ask, I figure he got a DUI and is attending required AA meetings.

Yeah, I know...judge not.... I wear the silly looking helmet to distinguish myself from the winos.

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
Yeah, I know...judge not.... I wear the silly looking helmet to distinguish myself from the winos.

Spandex warrior?

There's something in the freedom I get out of riding something with two wheels. I ride my electric bike (scooter) for amusement. I ride my bicycle for the additional challenge of moving under my own power. And I ride my motorcycle, as much for the thrill of moving at some speed as for the challenge of my riding skills.

Motorized bicycle didn't have what any of those have. It's not my own power, but it's not thrilling power/speed. It's not smooth and quiet, quite the opposite.

And, OTOH, if I had no better means, and it wasn't illegal, I'd probably use one to do most of the work for getting me places that I had to be. At least for the long stretches. (Not that you can just pedal freely when the engine isn't running...there's a lot of added drive friction from having that sprocket hard-mounted to the rear wheel, making the chain move, and spinning the gear box, even with the clutch disengaged)

BTW, I always wear a helmet(you'd be an idiot not to, in a city) when riding any of the above, and no, I'm not on my way to any meetings.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2017 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW, I always wear a helmet(you'd be an idiot not to, in a city) when riding any of the above, and no, I'm not on my way to any meetings.

LMAO, Stubby....I've GOT a helmet...it sits on the top shelf of my closet collecting dust.

I kinda figgure if I am going to get creamed by 2 tons or better of moving steel, then the only ting a helmet is going to do for me is make sure the top 1/2 of my mellon gets burried intact. The rest will be pretty much road-smear.

E-bikes, its required by law to wear one...for all the good that will do against 2-tons or better of moving steel.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spandex warrior?

Oh hell no! Nobody wants to see that. That would fall under the same rule as I instruct everyone, if you ever see me wearing anything that says "Harley-Davidson" on it, I am to be shot on sight.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2017 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few things to say:
Spandex = Gay, deny it all you want, but it sets off EVERYONES gay-dar
alot of states over 49cc is illegal, in NV over 20mph on a motorized bike is illegal.
And for the helmet, if I wore one as a kid I would have been beaten up for it. I wear one on my 3-wheelers, but not on a frickin' bicycle. (3-wheelers do 70mph+)

And they did come out with mopeds with pedals to try to get around the bad cali laws.

"Riding a moped is like doing a fat chick, it may be fun, but you don't want your friends seeing you doing it."
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2017 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Schwins used to be the caddy of bicycles but are a cheaply made rustbucket nowadays. Wife has one and anything chromed is almost solid rust already and it's never spent a day or night without a roof over it's head and we bought it new in May this year. Needed 2 new tubes in the first week...I was sitting on the front porch early one morning and heard a "Pooooffffffftt' and the thing had just blew out while it was sitting on the front porch.

My brother has an old Rollfast bicycle I'd like to have..he doesn't ride it anymore and it's sitting in his shop with two flat tires.
They were pretty good bikes too.

schwin went broke in the USA years ago
an offshore corprat bought the NAME
THE ONLY THING THE SAME BETWEEN OLD SCHWINS AND THE NEW CHINA MADE BIKES
IS THE NAME

THOSE MOTORS ARE MORE CHEAP CHINA JUNK
sorry but substandard steel does not make strong parts
kid two doors up has run thru [broken] 3 of them in the last 6 months

yes cheaper tyres will blow out from sun heat

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2017 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still debating on a new or used bike. Just for kicks I looked at 26" tire prices at Walmart, they were stupid expensive. If you're buying at Wal-Mart, after 2 tubes and tires you might as well have bought a new bike.
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2017 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Still debating on a new or used bike. Just for kicks I looked at 26" tire prices at Walmart, they were stupid expensive. If you're buying at Wal-Mart, after 2 tubes and tires you might as well have bought a new bike.

If you get a new bike, don't get it from walmart. Like the chinese engine, it's a crap shoot of quality.
If you must buy from walmart... Wait for a good sale, and inspect the bike and welds carefully, pick the good one in the bunch. Bring it home and make sure they assembled it correctly. But that goes for any assembled bike.
I've been getting almost all my parts tubes tires etc from amazon. My tires were a good deal, kevlar lined, and were priced similar to the value line stuff at the bike shops.

I suggest buying a used bike. craigslist is a good place to start. Really nice steel bikes last a really long time.
What is your current bike?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2017 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tubes that failed on the Schwinn both failed just outside the area where the stem attaches to the rest of the tube.
Replaced both with Goodyear tubes and have had no more flat tires.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-09-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock