Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  DOJ Admits IRS Criminality with Tea Party Groups (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
DOJ Admits IRS Criminality with Tea Party Groups by Doug85GT
Started on: 10-28-2017 01:16 PM
Replies: 51 (1024 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 11-01-2017 09:27 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Free is not free. Not going to go into how many dilute the truths, but you must understand this simple truth. Please stop.

If you are being comical, then I apologize.

I know that other stories have likely pushed this IRS-related discussion to the back of everyone's mind. What just happened on the streets of New York City. The "reveals" from the Mueller investigation.

But I do want to clarify.

When I saw people here messaging about college and college tuition, and about student loans and the possibilities (or impossibilities) for some people to be able to have a college education, I had the thought that the people here who were messaging about that, might also be interested in this:

"Free Money at the Edge of the Tech Boom"
  • A 27-year-old mayor is implementing a $1 million experiment in guaranteed income for residents of a poor city [not far from California's Silicon Valley]

The latest experiment in a universal basic income will be coming to Stockton, California, in the next year.

With $1 million in funding from the tech industry–affiliated Economic-Security Project, the Stockton Economic-Empowerment Demonstration (SEED) will be the country’s first municipal pilot program. As currently envisioned, some number of people in Stockton will receive $500 per month. That’s not enough to cover all their expenses, but it could help people with rising housing costs, paying student loans, or simply saving for life’s inevitable problems.

CONTINUED ONLINE

Alexis C. Madrigal for The Atlantic; 19-Oct-2017.
https://www.theatlantic.com...basic_income/543036/

Let me clarify: I do not regard the idea of a UBI (Universal Basic Income) as a purely comical idea. Neither do I endorse it. I just thought that the people who were having these college and college tuition-related messaging might welcome the opportunity to read or browse this new magazine-length article online, from The Atlantic.

That very brief YouTube video featuring Matthew Lesko that I also posted: comedy.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-01-2017).]

IP: Logged
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"With $1 million in funding..."

In other words, not free.

Universal income is also not free. It is a bill that needs to be paid. One receives free money, but another or others still need to foot the bill.

Am I missing something here rinselberg?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Yes, working while going to pay for your schooling is an option as is student loans. However as I said, there is no other option I am aware of for those of us who are physically or mentally disqualified from military service that allows us to earn a GI Bill type funded schooling allotment by serving our country in some other way. We who are disable in that way are denied an equal opportunity. No “maybe” about it. I/we could not receive a government funded dorm while being paid to learn and execute a probable marketable skill and earn a bill. A bill that pays for further education once my/our 4 years of paid service is over. Where is/was that option for me? I thought we were not supposed to discriminate against those who are disabled? It’s not like I chose to be such? My genetics caused a vein to be grown where one shouldn’t have been. That’s not like I went out smoking pot with my high school buddies and got in a car wreck shattering the bones in one leg. That at least would be a conscious choice. That person chose to get high with his buddies and get in a car with them. I had no choice. It’s not like God whispered to me in the womb asking if I wanted a vein where one shouldn’t have been?

I’m sorry Ron. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk or sound ungrateful for the country I live in. I don’t mean to belittle the service any member of the military has done for our country and in turn for me, you, my family and everyone else. It’s just when discussions like this come up they touch on a sore spot for me. A sore spot others may not ever see or understand because that opportunity was not denied to them. Just like things I see saying stuff like “share if you think all veterans should get free healthcare and housing for life”. I think they deserve a lot of respect and I give it to them. But on the same note, if they are given that, it would be just one more thing denied to me by my country because of something I had no control over.

Anyways, I hope that clears up my point of view on it. Again Ron, I apologize for being a bit sensitive about this specific thing.

Hope I didn’t get many typos in the above. Posted this from my phone.

*Fixed typos when I got home and could correct them easier than trying to do it on a phone.

Ah yes. The old "They had the benefit of "camo privilege" and I did not" argument.
Good luck even finding an attorney and liberal judge to even consider that.
Covet not.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Universal income is also not free. It is a bill that needs to be paid. One receives free money, but another or others still need to foot the bill.

Yes. An interesting read. In order to come to grips with your question "Am I missing something here?"--rhetorical though it may be--I decided to read the entire article myself. I hadn't done that. I had only read the first two paragraphs. That was enough to make me deem it as worthy of setting on the table here, as a possibility for the people that were discussing college and college tuition.

This new UBI (Universal Basic Income) experiment that is being orchestrated by the mayor of Stockton (he's just 27) is only part of what this article is about. It's kind of a "slice of life" style report or "snapshot" that focuses on a geographical swathe within California that I think has much in common with many other multi-county regions across the United States. The writer does not offer any conclusions or solid takeaways. There is no bottom line. He describes some of what's going on while the "jury is still out". So to speak.

The article isn't all that long. It's written in a simple, straightforward way. Here are some keywords:

Silicon Valley vs Central Valley
infrastructure
high-tech industries vs agriculture
Amazon
warehousing and shipping
automation vs manual labor
wages
supply and demand aspects of a "laborshed"
new roles for migrant and seasonal workers
seasonal fluctuations in Amazon's workforce requirements
FDR's New Deal vs "Black America"

A relevant, provocative, and not all that long of a "read" lives here, in the online pages of The Atlantic.
https://www.theatlantic.com...basic_income/543036/

Long live The Atlantic.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is an honest question. I am having a very difficult time trying to understand your position here. Perhaps I should not worry about it at all. Enjoy this day.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are a true friend of the Crown. Dilly Dilly..!

I, on the other hand, happen to be a human bibliography for the Internet. A one-person Page Link factory. To wit:

What Is Dilly Dilly? How A Viral Bud Light Catchphrase Created An Outrageously-Fun Social Media Movement
http://brobible.com/culture...what-is-dilly-dilly/

HOW BUD LIGHT MADE 'DILLY DILLY!' THE INTERNET'S MOST INESCAPABLE CATCHPHRASE
https://www.maxim.com/enter...t-commercial-2017-10

Thanks to Tony Kania for this new moment of (my) inspiration.

RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have no idea WHAT you're on about, as usual.

We'd really like to know so we could batter you about the virtual head with logic and data but we can't because what you take for superior writing skill is just turgid and barely intelligible.

Do yourself a favor and remove the parenthesis and quote keys from your keyboard.

You're welcome.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you read from me previously (Ray) was unofficial.

This is official:

Stockton's is not the first Universal Basic Income project in the Bay (other UBI-style projects are already underway in West Oakland and San Francisco), but this nascent UBI program in Stockton is set up to be one of the more transparently administered experiments of its kind. Unlike other, more closely-held UBI projects, both the city government of Stockton and the participants themselves will be reporting out on a periodic basis about how Stockton's pilot UBI program is (or is not) providing Value. Stockton's UBI experiment will be unfolding within the context of its publicly elected municipal government, with all of the across-the-boards community engagement that can be expected to arise from this distinctly "City Hall" management paradigm.

That is almost a direct quotation from The Atlantic contributor Alexis Madrigal. Almost, because I exercised some editing and revisions of my own to his original paragraph, where I thought Mr Madrigal's expository style had fallen short of the mark, in terms of clarity and completion. I think I understood what he was trying to say. I thought it needed to be said more clearly.

Source:
https://www.theatlantic.com...sic_income/543036/si

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:
Universal Basic Income

Maybe what we need is a UBI thread.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not have it in my mind to say any more here than I already have, about this writeup in The Atlantic, about Stockton's mayor and his Universal Basic Income experiment.

It seemed like an easy riff on the discussion that was already going on before I came in here, which had already morphed from the original subject of DOJ and IRS and Tea Party Groups into a back and forth about college and college tuition.

If anyone else happens to get pulled in by this writeup in The Atlantic, about Stockton's mayor and UBI (etc.) and starts messaging here about it, I will split it off and create a new Universal Basic Income thread. If that other person does not do it (split off a new thread).

That is my solemn promise to the online electorate of Pennock's.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Yes, working while going to pay for your schooling is an option as is student loans. However as I said, there is no other option I am aware of for those of us who are physically or mentally disqualified from military service that allows us to earn a GI Bill type funded schooling allotment by serving our country in some other way. We who are disable in that way are denied an equal opportunity. No “maybe” about it. I/we could not receive a government funded dorm while being paid to learn and execute a probable marketable skill and earn a bill. A bill that pays for further education once my/our 4 years of paid service is over. Where is/was that option for me? I thought we were not supposed to discriminate against those who are disabled? It’s not like I chose to be such? My genetics caused a vein to be grown where one shouldn’t have been. That’s not like I went out smoking pot with my high school buddies and got in a car wreck shattering the bones in one leg. That at least would be a conscious choice. That person chose to get high with his buddies and get in a car with them. I had no choice. It’s not like God whispered to me in the womb asking if I wanted a vein where one shouldn’t have been?

I’m sorry Ron. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk or sound ungrateful for the country I live in. I don’t mean to belittle the service any member of the military has done for our country and in turn for me, you, my family and everyone else. It’s just when discussions like this come up they touch on a sore spot for me. A sore spot others may not ever see or understand because that opportunity was not denied to them. Just like things I see saying stuff like “share if you think all veterans should get free healthcare and housing for life”. I think they deserve a lot of respect and I give it to them. But on the same note, if they are given that, it would be just one more thing denied to me by my country because of something I had no control over.

Anyways, I hope that clears up my point of view on it. Again Ron, I apologize for being a bit sensitive about this specific thing.

Hope I didn’t get many typos in the above. Posted this from my phone.

*Fixed typos when I got home and could correct them easier than trying to do it on a phone.

I guess I didn't explain my position well.

I only used the GI Bill as an option, I also used working while attending class as an option. Can't say that I know of any free options, heard there are grants out there but, couldn't prove it by me. All I'm saying is, there is always away to achieve such a goal if one perseveres. If life is a rose garden, it's full of thorns.

Nothing in my life has ever been easy. No one should expect an easy path if they are own their own.
I've traveled many paths in my life, very few of them were paved, most were against the wind, uphill, slippery slopes filled with spiders and snakes.
Watch out for those pests, they like to bite.

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2017 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony, you are missing something, the liberal logic of the money will just come off that money tree (printing press) . THEY ALL FAIL to understand for any government dept to give a dollar they had to take 5 dollars from someone else.. but because it is out of sight, they don't see it nor do they care. As many of them don't pay taxes to be part of the group that have the dollars taken from to give to others.. So to "them" it is free as they get it and didn't have to earn it nor ever pay it back..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 11-01-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock