Started on: 09-27-2017 02:39 PM
Replies: 23 (427 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 10-31-2017 03:01 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any of you recall your dreams?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From time to time. Not so much, in recent months.

I have (had) a recurring dream. It goes like this: In the dream, I want to have the college experience again--a "do over"--and I manage to get myself readmitted to the same college that I graduated from, by applying again but concealing the fact that I already went all the way through their undergraduate program. The tension in the dream is that I realize or start to fear that someone in authority is about to discover this masquerade. I had this same thematic dream recall a few different times, in a period of just a few years.

And now that I think about it, I have (had) another recurring dream. I'm in college again, and I am having a "crisis" because I know that there is a course that I signed up for, but have not been attending any of the course meetings. In some versions of this dream, I am not even clear about which course(s) I signed up for. I am thinking, what did I do (?) with the paperwork that has the list of courses that I am registered for. In some versions, it is a math course. Others--some kind of English literature course.

It's been awhile since I have awakened with the memory of having experienced either of those thematic dreams.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure, usually segments though. But how would I know if I recalled it all if I don't know what to recall anyway?

But also later in the day something might pop up in memory from a dream.

I have heard right when you get up try and rememeber, because if you wait your chance drops a lot.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by rinselberg:

And now that I think about it, I have (had) another recurring dream. I'm in college again, and I am having a "crisis" because I know that there is a course that I signed up for, but have not been attending any of the course meetings. In some versions of this dream, I am not even clear about which course(s) I signed up for. I am thinking, what did I do (?) with the paperwork that has the list of courses that I am registered for. In some versions, it is a math course. Others--some kind of English literature course.

It's been awhile since I have awakened with the memory of having experienced either of those thematic dreams.

This type is common from what I understand. I've heard it said that its your unconsious fretting, noticing that things in real life are not in your control. Time running out, a problem that needs addressing, etc. Beyond that simple description it could apply to pretty much anything specific.

I've had a similar one, but it was high school.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-27-2017).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When a person awakens and recalls a dream, and the recall is of a dream that seems (in recall) as if it went on for an appreciable period of time--a complicated dream with various scenes and plot twists or turns that followed one another in sequence--is that actually what happened in the person's mind as they were asleep and in the dream state?

Or is the recall more like something that is just created all at once, just before or as the person is awakening from sleep?

An intriguing question (IMO).

From time to time, my Fiero (or some other Fiero) has been part of my dream recalls. But not recently.
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't remember a single one. I know I do dream, but once awake, any memory is gone.

That's because I actually don't care about them. That is probably why I don't remember them.

I don't think there is any meaning or special messages in dreams.

Scientifically, the best explanation I have heard on why mammals dream is that it allows us to replay different scenarios in our mind in a sort of "safe mode" operation. That is why kids have nightmares or whatever. That is why they are assumed to be bizarre, scary and radically shifting. It is an evolutionary trait that allows us to enact and adjust our reaction or at least have one and practice, while we sleep, consume little energy and do it under a safe mode, so we actually don't die.

They said if we didn't dream, if we were faced with say a bear in front of us growling, we wouldn't know what to do but sit there and act curious. Dreams enact this and tell us to run away. So when we face the unknown, we have at least some survival instinct to do something. Without dreams, we would leave every scenario to chance.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 09-27-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When a person awakens and recalls a dream, and the recall is of a dream that seems (in recall) as if it went on for an appreciable period of time--a complicated dream with various scenes and plot twists or turns that followed one another in sequence--is that actually what happened in the person's mind as they were asleep and in the dream state?

Or is the recall more like something that is just created all at once, just before or as the person is awakening from sleep?

An intriguing question (IMO).

I think we really don't have a concept of time while we dream.
I do know I have gone to sleep, had a dream or two, got up to go to the bathroom, with maybe an hour left to sleep before I had to get up. In that hour I have had a dream that seemed much longer than the one before it, though I had many more hours of actual time sleeping for the earlier one.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-27-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went 24 years without dreaming as I only slept 2 hours between 2 fulltime jobs.. job, sleep 2 hous job sleep 2 maybe 3 hours, till sat. then crash all day..
I just started within a year starting to have dreams again.. So I'm finally hitting rem sleep. and my body clock is starting to loose the memory of you have to get up after a few hours..
Now, I am having odd dreams.. like they could be movie scripts.. I wake up and remember them, roll over and go back to sleep and then it is gone.. The rolling over and try'n to go back to sleep is to see how it ends, but they never return that night, but weeks later I'll get act 2.. and I can't remember the first part so it is odd, like starting to read a book from the middle to end..
Now I understand why bands, keep a recorder or note pad beside them, so when they wake they can write it down.. and not loose it..
I was in the 1850's last night.. that is all I remember.. and that is a guess based on what books and movies have shown that time to look and be like..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 09-27-2017).]

whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

For decades I was seldom even aware of dreaming, much less my dreams' content, but on vacation (especially at high altitude) I would tend to dream like crazy. In 1990 or 1991, in a hotel in Albuquerque (a La Quinta near the airport), I had a dream so vivid and profound that I actually woke up and scribbled a line verbatim on the notepad on my night stand:

I had dreamed that I was a frail, 80-something year old black man being installed as Professor Emeritus of Law at Tuskegee Institute. (N.B. I checked later, and Tuskegee doesn't have a law school.) Apparently, my CV included substantial involvement in the civil rights movement of the early to mid 1960s. I don't remember the rest, but I concluded my acceptance speech with the following line, presented here exactly as I wrote it on that hotel notepad: "... And all this came about because I spoke to defend an idea that I didn't particularly agree with in the first place."

What did it mean? I don't know, but that sentence is probably as succinct an expression of a core personal value as I will ever be able to duplicate: Ideas are important, even when you don't fully understand or agree with them.

Dreams can be funny things.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-28-2017).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Marvin McInnis

11599 posts
Member since Apr 2002

... I have (had) another recurring dream. I'm in college again, and I am having a "crisis" because I know that there is a course that I signed up for, but have not been attending any of the course meetings. ... I am not even clear about which course(s) I signed up for. I am thinking, what did I do (?) with the paperwork that has the list of courses that I am registered for.

BTDT.

Another variant: I am sitting in the lecture hall for what is clearly the wrong course, and I am befuddled by the lecture itself, but I can't remember where I'm supposed to be.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-28-2017).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I had dreamed that I was a frail, 80-something year old black man being installed as Professor Emeritus of Law at the Tuskegee Institute. ...

Interesting. I cant recall ever having dreamed a dream where I wasn't myself, no matter how weird it all got.
Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2017 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The weird ones are the ones where, Knowing what I know now, and going back 15-20 years to the time I had crushes on girls and was to shy, and the dream plays out as if I knew then what I know now..
I don't know if I'd call it weird or odd, or what. but If it is at all based on reality that could've happened ,man where is that time machine..

What brought these on, Not sure but I did run into a girl that I was friends with 22 years ago, that while talking about our lives now and the families we have, that she had as big of a crush on me as I did on her..
I think God built a part of our brain to just screw with us while we sleep.. One of the greatest gifts to the human race is a vivid imagination, And your brain uses this at full tilt while dreaming..
I've talked to many in music and they have said the draw of some of the drugs was not the high, but the way the imagination would take off and just go to places it normally would not go..

This Maiden song explains it better than I ever could

Infinite dreams I can't deny them
Infinity is hard to comprehend
I couldn't hear those screams
Even in my wildest dreams

Suffocation waking in a sweat
Scared to fall asleep again
In case the dream begins again
Someone chasing I cannot move
Standing rigid a nightmare's statue
What a dream when will it end
And will it transcend?

Restless sleep the minds in turmoil
One nightmare ends another fertile
It's getting to me so scared to sleep
But scared to wake now, in too deep.

Even though it's reached new heights
I'd rather like the restless nights
It makes me wonder it makes me think
There's more to this I'm on the brink
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
I have an interest almost craving
But would I like to get too far in?

Can't all be coincidence
Too many things are evident
You tell me you're an unbeliever
Spiritualists? Well me I'm neither
Wouldn't you like to know
The truth?
Oh what's out there to have the proof
And find out just which side
You're on
Where would you end in Heaven or
In Hell?

Help me. Help me to find my true
Self without seeing the future
Save me, save me from torturing
Myself even within my dreams

There's got to be just more to it than this
Or tell me why do we exist
I'd like to think that when I die
I'd get a chance another time
And to return and live again
Reincarnate, play the game
Again and again and again.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was newly enlisted in the Navy and too young to buy alcohol but I could go to a pharmacy and buy terpin hydrate that was mostly alcohol and codeine if I remember right. I chugged the whole bottle and when I slept I had a dream about my highschool girlfriend. I was so disappointed when I awoke in the middle of the dream but when I went back to sleep the dream resumed just as though I had an intermission. It was fantastic. Never before or after. I rarely remember my dreams these days but I have a hard time remembering anything else either
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately. They're typically unpleasant or very abstract. I can count the number of good ones on one hand. Usually forget them shortly after waking up.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

Why am I the only person that has that dream?

https://www.youtube.com/wat...=CfL8N_bDo1E&t=0m25s
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. I rarely dream, unless I'm completely forgetting about them by the time I wake up. I don't think I get in to REM sleep; that might have something to do with it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the past couple of years, I have started having really vivid - and sometimes really strange - dreams. Usually several times per week. They aren't particularly bad dreams, though.
Frequently, they revolve around my work, but usually my previous job (which was more hands-on than my current one, that I've had for ~12 years.)
Sometimes, even my old coworkers are in those dreams. This morning one of my current coworkers (who I really don't like) was there.

Strangely enough, I found that when I started drinking real coffee again (only one cup per day, though) I actually sleep better and seem to have fewer dreams.
I'm confused.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-28-2017).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2017 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Scientists test three different techniques for developing the capacity for lucid dreaming"

While in a lucid dream, a person is not only aware they are dreaming but also actively controls the experience. According to a popular German study, researchers found that about 51% of people have experienced a lucid dream at least once. Some, however, are so proficient at lucid dreaming that they can enter the state almost every night.

We now have a breakthrough. Australian researchers at the University of Adelaide led by Dr Denholm Aspy tested three popular lucid dreaming techniques and found all of them improve the chance of success. One technique had an impressive 46% success rate.

. . .

https://www.zmescience.com/...lucid-dreaming-4324/

OK, not going to try any of these ideas myself.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2017 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a period of time when I was having lucid dreams on a very regular basis. When it started to scare the hell out of me, I had to stop.
I could do fantastic things in my dreams. When I was awake, I knew I was awake, but when I was dreaming, I was often not quite sure.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-30-2017).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Far too often and more often than not, I'm in the dream as myself, but as 2 people, doing 2 different but related things.
1. I'm doing whatever the dream dictates and where it carries me, often to any one of several long past real life events.
2. At the same time, I'm dreaming I am observing myself as I dream the dream, which is almost always an unpleasant if not downright terrifying dream, and always ends up with me seeing myself in bed, all but paralyzed and screaming for my wife to wake me up..all of this while I'm asleep and have several times, woke up in a sweat, and berated my wife for not waking me up so the dream would end.
"I know you had to have heard me screaming...why wouldn't you wake me up?"

The above hardly ever happens in pleasant dreams tho..and I do often remember the pleasant ones as well.
You have no or very little control over what you dream of course, and they can get really 'out there' and even comical., and sometimes, for me, the comical dreams are dreams about dreams or something of that sort. Hard to explain.

One from several years I remember quite well..
[It is somewhat confusing, but All of the following was a dream] :
I was at work, running the CNC saw in the plant where I used to work. It was monotonous, and in the dream, I dozed off at the control station. When I did, I dreamed (a dream within a dream) that I could fly, and just levitated up from the saw, and slowly floated around looking down at all the other people in the plant. I could go in any direction I wanted, just by turning my head. Instead of being astonished at my newfound ability, they all just pointed up at me and laughed. I returned to my work station, finished the day out and went home and told Jane "You'll never guess what happened at work today!"
She replied with a roll of her eyes (still all part of my dream) :
"I've already heard..your buddy Joe just called me. You fell asleep at the saw and dreamed you could fly".

[end of dream.]

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-31-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

I love that movie real genius
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, some of them. Also sometimes only parts and missing some detail. Ive also had recurring dreams. I do know that sometimes I have a dream about whatever I was thinking about before going to bed. I think some dreams may come out of your own subconscious thoughts.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2017 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Far too often and more often than not, I'm in the dream as myself, but as 2 people, doing 2 different but related things.
1. I'm doing whatever the dream dictates and where it carries me, often to any one of several long past real life events.
2. At the same time, I'm dreaming I am observing myself as I dream the dream, which is almost always an unpleasant if not downright terrifying dream, and always ends up with me seeing myself in bed, all but paralyzed and screaming for my wife to wake me up..all of this while I'm asleep and have several times, woke up in a sweat, and berated my wife for not waking me up so the dream would end.
"I know you had to have heard me screaming...why wouldn't you wake me up?"

The above hardly ever happens in pleasant dreams tho..and I do often remember the pleasant ones as well.
You have no or very little control over what you dream of course, and they can get really 'out there' and even comical., and sometimes, for me, the comical dreams are dreams about dreams or something of that sort. Hard to explain.

One from several years I remember quite well..
[It is somewhat confusing, but All of the following was a dream] :
I was at work, running the CNC saw in the plant where I used to work. It was monotonous, and in the dream, I dozed off at the control station. When I did, I dreamed (a dream within a dream) that I could fly, and just levitated up from the saw, and slowly floated around looking down at all the other people in the plant. I could go in any direction I wanted, just by turning my head. Instead of being astonished at my newfound ability, they all just pointed up at me and laughed. I returned to my work station, finished the day out and went home and told Jane "You'll never guess what happened at work today!"
She replied with a roll of her eyes (still all part of my dream) :
"I've already heard..your buddy Joe just called me. You fell asleep at the saw and dreamed you could fly".

[end of dream.]

I've had the paralyzing dreams before. Feels like you are being held down by something while laying in bed and can't move. One I had kept repeating cryptic numbers over and over in a rather disturbing sounding voice. I remembered what was being said and tried to make sense of it and came to a conclusion it was some kind of date. That date came and went with nothing in particular happening.

In most my dreams I can fly. It's like it's no big deal. I just fly when I think I need to. It's actually quite fun. Got to watch for powerlines though. They can sneek up on you. And there is really no limit how high I can go.

Most of my dreams are very lucid. I remember almost everything.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock