Definition of Steel Toe Boot by Blitz54
Started on: 09-12-2017 09:15 PM
Replies: 15 (330 views)
Last post by: RayOtton on 09-13-2017 06:42 PM
Blitz54

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blitz54Send a Private Message to Blitz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend is an idiot and thinks a steel toe boot is defined by the steel plate in the sole. He thinks the cap that goes above your toe isn't relevant.

You can't even buy boots with a steel sole and no steel toe. But you can buy boots with a steel toe and no steel sole. Yet he doesn't understand.

I'd like as many people to comment on here what part of the boot defines a steel toe boot. Pretty fricken obvious...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blitz54:

I'd like as many people to comment on here what part of the boot defines a steel toe boot. Pretty fricken obvious...

The steel.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I know is

-Doc Martin's haven't been the same since the early late 80's - early 90's

Cheap pieces of crap fall apart like CRAZY.

-My leg was broken by a steel-toed boot during a football game

And

-that steel toed boots can chop off toes if enough weight is applied to the top of the boot(maybe?)

What's your favorite cookie?

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 09-12-2017).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2017 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

-that steel toed boots can chop off toes if enough weight is applied to the top of the boot(maybe?)

What's your favorite cookie?

Meh, chopped off if the steel is there, crushed beyond repair if it isnt. End result is the same.

Oreo.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the ASTM standard is incorporated by reference in the OSHA regs, so search for the ASTM definitions. I would wager that it is the same up there, in the frozen north.
By the way, many "steel toe boots" are no longer steel. Some are a composite material, but is is most certainly the toe.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right, and your friend is an idiot.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2017 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Up here its a CSA standard. Steel toe/plate is indicated with a green triangle. Shock-proof (electrical protection) is an orange triangle. I wont buy a pair if they don't have both.

My current pair were $300 and have both ratings, plus a new-age insulation that holds heat in winter but wicks moisture in the summer so its really like 2 pairs in one. I don't have to have an insulated and uninsulated pair for the seasons.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blitz54:

You can't even buy boots with a steel sole and no steel toe.

Actually, you can. Most jump boots (paratrooper boots) have a steel shank through the sole to keep the foot from folding/breaking during a landing. None have a steel toe cap although the toe caps are a thicker, harder leather.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From Wiki:

A steel-toe boot (also known as a safety boot, steel-capped boot or safety shoe) is a durable boot or shoe that has a protective reinforcement in the toe which protects the foot from falling objects or compression, usually combined with a mid sole plate to protect against punctures from below.

Although traditionally made of steel, the reinforcement can also be made of a composite material, a plastic such as thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) or even aluminum.
Blitz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blitz54Send a Private Message to Blitz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Actually, you can. Most jump boots (paratrooper boots) have a steel shank through the sole to keep the foot from folding/breaking during a landing. None have a steel toe cap although the toe caps are a thicker, harder leather.

Well I learned something. But those still wouldn't be considered steel toe boots, so he's still a complete idiot.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A magnet should settle the argument once and for all.

FWIW ... The only broken bone I have ever sustained was partly caused by the steel-toed safety boots I was wearing at the time. The steel toe inserts made them larger than the shoes/boots I usually wore, and I stubbed a toe stepping over a slack rope. Entirely my fault, but it wouldn't have happened except for the boots.

N.B. I have a pair of Lucchese western dress boots with a steel shank (but no steel toe). Great fun going through airport security with them!

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-13-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Per ASTM F2413-11 the requirement for steel soles is disticnt and separate from the requirement for steel toes.

https://www.grainger.com/co...otwear-standards-252
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boots/shoes can have either or both but two things do different jobs.
"Steel sole" is for Puncture Resistant like stepping on nails etc.
Steer and other reinforce toes are for protection from loads crushing the feet.

Many are Confused Steel Sole w/ Steel Shank and is not in the shoe/boot for safety.
Is to spread the load to more area on bottom of feet like for Lineman and others who use spikes and ladders for hours each day.

Steel Toe will save the toe and feet a lot more then any standard footwear but does have limits same as hard hats and other safety items. Way before you reach those limits, the foot was gone w/o steel toe.
MythBusters Episode 42: Steel Toe-Cap Amputation results: Busted.

I had Steel Toe boots shoes and even sneakers for doing IT work for Sun Oil and other sites required steel toe or you can't get into the site.
ST shoes got stopped by Airport Security long before 9/11 because tripped metal detectors. Most times, If you worn them in the past then tell them so can quickly hand scan including your feet and not hold up the line.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Em, what part of steel TOED boot does he not understand?

BTW, does he have a sign around his neck that says "breath"?
Blitz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blitz54Send a Private Message to Blitz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Em, what part of steel TOED boot does he not understand?

BTW, does he have a sign around his neck that says "breath"?

Weirdly he doesn't have one. I'm not sure how he's survived this long being this stupid. It's a two word definition for the object you are buying. I can't make it any simpler.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He's lucky to have you for a friend.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock