Started on: 09-11-2017 05:04 AM
Replies: 10 (229 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-13-2017 12:54 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2017 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running 2 computers right now.

#1 is an hp laptop, Centrino Duo processor and 2 gigs of ram.

#2 is a Dell desktop, Celeron dual-core and 4 gigs of ram.

everything else is about identical (MS office, anti-virus, VPN, software cable network not wifi on both, ---one is just a mobile clone of the other)

When watching you-tube, #2 has all kinds of buffering delays and #1 has zero--yet the desktop has twice the ram

I'm not even going to try to figure it out, just work on the desktop, and stream on the laptop.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-11-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2017 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are they both 64 bit systems.. and what are the mother board bus speeds
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One is possessed by the devil......oh, wait......never mind, I guess they both belong to you.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of network are they running on? Wired? wireless?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

What kind of network are they running on? Wired? wireless?

I think "software cable network not wifi on both" = wired.

I'd check OS versions and browser versions. And the settings on the browser(s). Also see if the YouTube is a different URL (m.youtube.com or such).

Also, make sure the unhappy machine's Network card isn't set at 100 instead of gigabit.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2017 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think I got it...I.P. conflict on the network caused by Avast Antivirus.

It pooped up by accident when I tried to do an uninstall-reinstall to try a speed comparison without it.

Now, on to my no-autorun W10 DVD drive....AND, I will let MS support fix that in tomorrow. I'm pushing 30 hours with no sleep and am getting punchy. The only thing left is a dinner meeting at 4:30 then I can crash...

Any of you college guys that read the forum STILL want that business degree and entrepreneurship so bad ? Entrepreneur or Contractor are just fancy words for ****ing idiot....actually make that broke ****ing idiot. My last 2 years make me the poster boy.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-11-2017).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

It pooped up...

It did WHAT?!?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most media won't autorun in Windows to protect the system including CD, DVD, and Flash types.
that feature was disable by Win Update years ago.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine all auto run, whether theyre DVD, CD or flashdrive. I have Win 7, and 8.2 on 3 cmptrs. I also run Avast.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2017 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got it solved today...spent an hour with MS online support with them in control of the machine.

Turns out CD drivers for this particular machine have never been created above W7..and 10 wont accept the 7 drivers (8 and 8.1 would). The solution is install W7....but now its up to me to go fight with the refurbisher (its a MS-certified company) I bought it from for a valid W7 key. Whats on my side is MS support is backing me up with transcripts of their diagnoses if the guy tries to argue.

I dont mind the back-grade in O/S since 10 is frustrating, but lesson is even reputable companies can pull a fast one. I have the service report where everything was signed off as working. B-S it was.

I grabbed this one because it has the size and features I wanted in a used machine, and IS in brand-new condition. Even the keyboard shows no wear.

And off all the dumb ways to discover a problem....I tried to install "Borderlands" and windows wanted to treat the CD as a new one to be formatted and burned.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-12-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Mine all auto run, whether theyre DVD, CD or flashdrive. I have Win 7, and 8.2 on 3 cmptrs. I also run Avast.
Not likely... More likely you auto play music/movies but not auto run programs when load whatever media. Auto Play is on but Auto Run is disabled for most systems. (Many Business have group policy to disable auto play and other things...)

Auto Play is different from Auto Run but many confuse them.
Autoplay Menu popup window does not = Auto Run as well.

CD etc w/ music/movies can Auto Play but programs on removable media won't Auto Run via autorun.inf.
Many Thumb Drive have U3 control chips and Flash in them have 2 "Partitions" and 2nd partition shows as CD w/ autorun programs now won't autorun from either partitions. (If you have these, can remove CD section allowing access to all Flash space.)

MS change autorun to disable to prevent root kits and other malware getting auto installed. Why? 2 examples: Sony and others also used auto run to auto install DRM programs and some contain a root kit. Some "spear fishing" is done by "loosing" a thumb drive in a business parking lot hoping morons will load it on business computers and auto run malware.

Running Avast and other anti virus etc often means little to no protection dealing w/ auto running malware. You can enable Auto Run in several ways but is a very bad idea.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock