Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Got another laptop. Anybody know how to make a fingerprint reader work ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Got another laptop. Anybody know how to make a fingerprint reader work ? by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 09-06-2017 01:45 PM
Replies: 5 (99 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 09-07-2017 01:24 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2017 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its an HP 8510P running W10. The print reader is in the bottom right corner.

Windows 10 is taking some getting used to. I'm actually not really liking it that much.

If I go into "accounts" it gives me password, PIN, lock screen, and picture password. Fingerprint isnt there.

I'd like to able to just log in with a thumb instead of typing. I've got Cortina working and would like to be able to make this one as hands-free as possible. I already picked up Voice Dragon so I'm covered there.

And no, I dont know why I keep spending cash on electronics. I know I use them for work, but I really dont need more than a desktop. I already have a tablet for on-the-go internet. This is a just a learning experience for W10.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fingerprint or face photo option just showed up one day on my cmptr. I just have to click on it to activate. I block off my camera, and fingerprint wont work if you have paint or something on your fingertip when you try to use it. Im too hard on my hands to plan on using it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Download the HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite. It has the drivers. It is in the "Software-Security" subfolder.
https://support.hp.com/us-e...-notebook-pc/3355678

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-06-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
Download the HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite. It has the drivers. It is in the "Software-Security" subfolder.
https://support.hp.com/us-e...-notebook-pc/3355678
Might work but Laptop is ~10 or more years old and all drivers are old and "newest" versions for Win7.
Win10 have some problems w/ drivers and software for Win7 and 8.x. Worse, may work now but not in next big Win10 update.

You can try this too...
Device Man look for a device w/o driver... Yellow ! mark
Update driver and allow to search Win Update online.

Many times can find a valid driver this way. (Most old HP printers drivers can be found this way too even tho HP support doesn't them.)
Before you install drivers etc save a restore point. Then have a way to restore system if new driver is bad.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What finger are you using?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2017 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

What finger are you using?

Guess !!!

(I dont see why that wouldn't work as well as a thumb. It might get tired from over-use, though. )

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock