Started on: 09-05-2017 08:12 AM
Replies: 146 (2227 views)
Last post by: ray b on 09-18-2017 03:59 PM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're doing fine. The power is out, but we have a generator. There's no damage to the house. But there's a lot of debris in the yard. We also have a couple trees that look iffy, so we're gonna take them down.
IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

We're doing fine. The power is out, but we have a generator. There's no damage to the house. But there's a lot of debris in the yard. We also have a couple trees that look iffy, so we're gonna take them down.

NOW we're talkin progress!!
(that was my reasoning too..they all looked 'iffy' but I felt sorry for a few of em....well, not really. )

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been following this thread from the beginning. Now that Irma has pretty much cleared Florida, how about if all of our resident Floridians check in.

We're getting some pretty stout winds (50-60mph gusts) here in north west NC but I'm on top of a 3000' mountain so there's literally NOTHING to block the wind (no buildings, very few trees, zero earth/landscape/countryside) . At most, I figure I might be inconvenienced by a short power outage. No matter as it's not close to being life threatening, JUST an inconvenience. (It's possible...maybe even likely...that I won't even experience that.)
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sucked, really sucked, here for about 15 hours here in North Miami. My wife works for Miami-Dade County and was required to work in a shelter Friday night to Saturday morning. As we determined whether or not to go to a shelter, all the shelters who were taking pets filled up. We made the conscious decision to shelter in place. We slept in the bathroom Saturday night and had one hell of a Sunday. The winds gusted well over 120 mph here and we felt every bit of it. We also had about ten tornado warnings in a short amount of time. My wife pushed on the front door to keep the winds from pushing it open and I held onto the doors onto the patio so the storm wouldn't rip them off. It really tried. Our neighbors weren't so lucky. The winds ripped their doors right out of the frame and sliced up their screens. I'm sure their apartment is good and wet now. Other than that though, we were very lucky. We have cable and Internet back finally and never lost power. A lot of trees down and other smaller things. Debris all over the roads and flooding. A LOT of people still without power. It was an adventure that left us battered and exhausted, but we're alive. My prayers are with the people in the Keys and in Southwest Florida. They got hit hard and a lot more storm surge than we got. Hope everyone is and will be okay.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our power just came back on after 53 1/2 hours. Wow did I miss the air conditioning! The generator was a godsend but I am happy to have normal power again! We had some minor damage to our backyard screening thanks to the 90+ mph winds, but over all we made out better than expected. Trees are down all over the place with a lot of debris but that was to be expected.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2017 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHEW!
This was fun.
Let's not do this again for awhile though.
Power came back on here at 5pm EST today.
We didn't lose electric service until 7:40am yesterday *after* the worst part of the hurricane had passed us.
Generators were great but fueling them both up every 7-8 hours was a minor chore. I had 40 gallons on hand though.
Fuel is just now starting to reappear at gas stations but many here are still closed.
Cell service was text only until about 2pm today, Internet was down until the power came back at 5pm.
I was able to run the refrigerator freezer in the kitchen and another chest freezer in the garage, I also had 50lbs. of bagged ice stocked in.
Also able to run several fans, lamps, cell phone chargers and other comforts.

Young black couple down the street with a diabetic child had virtually nothing prepared. They came to our door when they heard our generators running and asked to put the child's meds and milk in our refrigerator. We found out that they had very little food or water on hand and no batteries or flashlights so we took them into our home for the duration. Nice kids and we feel blessed to be able be here for them

We had reports of armed looters, but no problems in my immediate area. Stayed on guard and prepped though.

From what we now hear, the Keys are pretty much gone along with Marco Island, but we are just now catching up on news so folks here on the forum may know more about the rest of FL than we do.
We had radio on the entire time but kept getting the same garbled and contradictory "news" over and over again.
It was worthless.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-12-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

WHEW!
This was fun.
Let's not do this again for awhile though.
Power came back on here at 5pm EST today.
We didn't lose electric service until 7:40am yesterday *after* the worst part of the hurricane had passed us.
Generators were great but fueling them both up every 7-8 hours was a minor chore. I had 40 gallons on hand though.
Fuel is just now starting to reappear at gas stations but many here are still closed.
Cell service was text only until about 2pm today, Internet was down until the power came back at 5pm.
I was able to run the refrigerator freezer in the kitchen and another chest freezer in the garage, I also had 50lbs. of bagged ice stocked in.
Also able to run several fans, lamps, cell phone chargers and other comforts.

Young black couple down the street with a diabetic child had virtually nothing prepared. They came to our door when they heard our generators running and asked to put the child's meds and milk in our refrigerator. We found out that they had very little food or water on hand and no batteries or flashlights so we took them into our home for the duration. Nice kids and we feel blessed to be able be here for them

We had reports of armed looters, but no problems in my immediate area. Stayed on guard and prepped though.

From what we now hear, the Keys are pretty much gone along with Marco Island, but we are just now catching up on news so folks here on the forum may know more about the rest of FL than we do.
We had radio on the entire time but kept getting the same garbled and contradictory "news" over and over again.
It was worthless.

Did you have extension cords run all over creation or do you have the lockout panel installed on the main distribution panel for your gensets?

Blacktree..you still with us?

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Did you have extension cords run all over creation or do you have the lockout panel installed on the main distribution panel for your gensets?

Blacktree..you still with us?

Yup. I was one of those guys with extension cords all over the place.

I have 3 100 foot heavy duty ones and a few shorter ones. A couple outlet strips and I was in business.

We are looking at building a new home in the next county north and I plan to have a big pad mounted Generac LPG whole house unit like my brother has installed there, so I won't be trying to connect the small Honda gens to the distribution panel here.

Went out for awhile in the truck and saw that there are still a lot places with no power and a lot of traffic lights out. Very dangerous on the streets.

Idiots just blowing through those intersections without slowing down..

Did they stop teaching people to treat an intersection like that as a 4-way stop?

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-13-2017).]

RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Idiots just blowing through those intersections without slowing down..

Did they stop teaching people to treat an intersection like that as a 4-way stop?

You didn't see a black Caddy with racing decals all over it, did you?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup. I was one of those guys with extension cords all over the place.

I have 3 100 foot heavy duty ones and a few shorter ones. A couple outlet strips and I was in business.

Same here.

Bad thing is, it isn't all that expensive to have the box and gen breaker wired in to my main panel.
Kill all the branch circuits...Kill the main......slide the lockout...start the gen.....flip the gen breaker On...start flipping on branch circuits one at a time.
Would be so easy.....(on my to-do list...still)
(Dunno how many times I walked into a room when we were on a generator and flipped the light switch and...................blackness remained.)

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69647 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Gimmeabreak.
cracking down on looters is white supremacy

"Her online bio lists her as "an independent journalist covering labor, economic justice, social movements, politics, gender, and pop culture."

Later Monday, Jaffe tweeted that "every now and then I check replies on my tweets and confirm why I have the quality filter on: that s---'s full of nazis."
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69647 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Gimmeabreak.
cracking down on looters is white supremacy

"Her online bio lists her as "an independent journalist covering labor, economic justice, social movements, politics, gender, and pop culture."

Later Monday, Jaffe tweeted that "every now and then I check replies on my tweets and confirm why I have the quality filter on: that s---'s full of nazis."

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bad thing is, it isn't all that expensive to have the box and gen breaker wired in to my main panel.
Kill all the branch circuits...Kill the main......slide the lockout...start the gen.....flip the gen breaker On...start flipping on branch circuits one at a time.
Would be so easy.....(on my to-do list...still)

It is well worth it! It was so easy for me to power everything in the house (sans extension cords) with the exception of the Central Air Conditioning unit. I had a stand alone unit on hand but never wound up using it. We just toughed it out for the 53 1/2 hours.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can add another name to the storms Fiero owners are watching: Talim. It's a typhoon near Shanghai. It was making a bee line at Shanghai but is supposed to turn north toward Japan today. I sure hope it does as I fly to Xiamen this evening and would have had to deal with the winds. There is another about to pound Vietnam but luckily I'm not headed anywhere near there in the next few days.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I left Florida 2 weeks ago
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

There is another about to pound Vietnam but luckily I'm not headed anywhere near there in the next few days.

Gee, Lets hope it doesn't adversely affect Hanoi Disney.

Or Sea World- Ho Chi Minh City....... Where all of the exhibits are also on the menu!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-13-2017).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane: Blacktree..you still with us?

Yep. Power is back on. Debris is cleared. Iffy trees chopped up. And I'm pretty exhausted. Time for a good night's sleep in an air-conditioned house.

How are you guys faring?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing good here..still lots of debris to pick up..telephone poles, cross ties, barrels, a 200 gal propane tank that floated in the pasture by the house, but almost back to normal now.
Glad all you guys didn't have it too bad, but no electricity even for a day always sucks.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gee, Lets hope it doesn't adversely affect Hanoi Disney.

Or Sea World- Ho Chi Minh City....... Where all of the exhibits are also on the menu!

That's funny and true.

My crew ordered rabbit's head for lunch the other day. Well my food phobia was justified as the staff brought out cooked rabbit skulls, teeth and all. "Would you like some, Captain?". (me: turning green) "Um, no thanks, I'm not hungry."
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never lost power , direct TV never went out. My pool had 5+" more water. The wind was strong, like shaking the house. I had pit plywood up on 3 sides. N,S &E. The front faces West and never gets wind. The fiero was fine in the garage with the door bar up. All the things in the backyard went in the garage are now on the stone pad because now it is time to power wash the pool deck and patio. Please no more storm's. Things to fix, 2 screen pannels and one fence post. It could have been worse. Be safe everyone.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really hope you Floridians don't get the after storm problems I'm having now....SKEETERS!
They are vicious, bloodthristy and in huge black swarms.
Flood of almost biblical proportions, a plague of biting insects,..what's next..boils, locusts and fiery hail?
PFF
System Bot
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really hope you Floridians don't get the after storm problems I'm having now....SKEETERS!
They are vicious, bloodthristy and in huge black swarms.
Flood of almost biblical proportions, a plague of biting insects,..what's next..boils, locusts and fiery hail?

Well after all, they are telling President Trump to let the "Dreamers" go.

[This message has been edited by GTGeff (edited 09-15-2017).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, just got internet back today, we did go to a shelter in nearby North Port Jr high school, as the news started saying the surge could reach 12 - 16 feet. I'd say there were about 2000+ people there. This was the lunch room - before it got busy.

We were assigned to various classrooms, It was two of the hardest days to endure, we got about an hours worth of sleep the first night. The second night we got about 3 hours sleep due to a group of four people that kept talking all night/morning. At 2:30 am I asked them to quite down, as my 91 year old mother needed to sleep and I was fed up with them. At 3:30 am they were yacking again. I got up and told them I need to get some sleep or I was going to knock them out. The other 30+ people in the room also spoke up and said they would help if they didn't shut the f up. So we had peace and quite from 3:30 am to 6:30 am. The shelter lost power at 3:30.

The shelter served meals, nothing to brag about, but it kept us fed.

The shelter said it was "pet friendly" , we found out they wanted to house the pets in the gym, and give the owners time to visit, then lock down the school when the storm went over. Well all the owners said the hell with that and stayed with the pets in the gym over the time we were there. The pets were freaked out enough, if we left them alone it would have been worse for them. We took our two cats, they were scared to death, my sister stayed with them. The many dogs that were there wouldn't stop barking at each other, it was a long two nights. - should had pasted out tranquilizers to the pets - or the owners. Here's our cats, their sisters, they huddled together the whole time.

We heard the storm got weaker as it went over Punta Gorda, turned out we would have been okay if we stayed, but we just couldn't take the risk with the information we had at the time. My mother and sister and myself are fine now. When we got home on the 11th around 10 am, power was out, hooked up our generator to two fridge's and chest freezer. We were able to save all the food. Ran cords to each bedroom so we all could have lights and a fan.

Power was restored on the 12th at 1:30 am. Today, the 15th the cable/internet was restored.

The house and cars were undamaged. I was able to remotely access our security cameras. I could see the level of the water in the canal came about a foot from the top of the seawall.

It's good to be home again. Thankful that we didn't have the same damage as when Charley hit us.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 09-16-2017).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Hi guys, just got internet back today,

Happy to finally hear from you down there.

Last I heard from JimmyS in Ft. Meyers he was still without power or internet other than via his cell phone.

Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2017 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Power still out.. using back up laptop that isn't dead yet..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CoolBlue, good to hear you're back home. Sounds like quite the ordeal. You made the right call taking the precaution of going to the shelter, tho it may not seem so in retrospect. You just never know, and always better to err on the side of caution than to regret not making the move after things get worse. btdt myself.
Homes are important, but they're just houses and it's the family that makes a home.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2017 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
survived

not the storm
the prep for a cat 5
that dammm near killed us
power on then off
still no net or cable tv or phone damm ATT

[This message has been edited by ray b (edited 09-18-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)