Started on: 08-31-2017 02:40 PM
Replies: 12 (211 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 09-05-2017 02:20 AM
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I am looking at being able to disable the output from a computer to a monitor to prevent unauthorized people from viewing/using the computer.

Can I just disable the +5V feed (or ground) on the DVI cable and re-enable as required.

The computer is in a remote location so not easy to get to. The plan is to use a relay system (to disable the DVI) tied via bluetooth to the "control pad" (password/RFID swip/etc).

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2017 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just turn on the password for loading the o/s bios
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

just turn on the password for loading the o/s bios

Thanks - probably should have made it clear that it needs to be controlled/monitored by an outside source by central software ("control pad") - no the software can not be installed on this computer as there is not a Linux version of it, plus said computer is not on the same network.

Basically it needs to be using a "controlled by web" interface so to have the ability to log use.
https://www.controlbyweb.com/products.html

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-31-2017).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Thanks - probably should have made it clear that it needs to be controlled/monitored by an outside source by central software ("control pad") - no the software can not be installed on this computer as there is not a Linux version of it, plus said computer is not on the same network.

Basically it needs to be using a "controlled by web" interface so to have the ability to log use.
https://www.controlbyweb.com/products.html

Short answer, none that I'm aware of.

On the other hand, what you can do is install a "tamper evident" plug that is strategically numbered. They can still easily break the plug out, but you would at least know that they did this. Do a search for "tamper evident" and computer port.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Linux! Why didn't you say so?

Simple!

Install vbetool on the machine you need to lock down.

If you are on a Debian based distro:
code:
apt-get install vbetool

SSH into the machine and:
code:
vbetool dpms off

Of course, if someone knows, can type blindly and has root access, they can do:
code:
vbetool dpms on

locally.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-31-2017).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a remote power strip and just turn off the monitor when its not needed. Don't have to mess with the computer or hack any cables just turn off the monitor.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, but let me try to explain this again:

1) the computer is isolated from the operators room, so they will not be able to bypass/tamper with any of the connections.

2) The monitors, keyboard and mouse are located in the operator room.

3) access needs to be limited to those authorized to used it - AND - their time used needs to be logged that they use it for.

4) The system that keeps track of the data logging is a stand alone system - SO -
- stand alone computer needs to talk to the isolated computer to say xx is ok to use it.
- stand alone computer needs to log usage time for xx.

5) remote power strip will work, except the monitors are plugged into the power inside the same room they are in, so easy to bypass unless it can be locked down some how.

There is software that will do this, but will not work as there is no Linux version.

The stand alone computer's software has the ability to operate a remote relay box (which will be located in the isolated room) which can be used to disable something. I was thinking of disabling the monitor output so they can't see anything on the screen until the stand alone computer says they can and starts recording their usage. I could also just tap into the keyboard or mouse plug for the same effect - it is just easier to to open the DVI connector (as it is not molded). So it is nothing to open the DVI connector, cut one of the wires and install a remote controlled relay.

Anyways - maybe I will just try it (cutting the 5v or ground wire) and see what happens.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-01-2017).]

williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just eliminate the monitor, kb and mouse on the isolated machine (or leave them in the isolated environment) and just forward control through something like XDMCP?
Does "controlbyweb" handle user authentication and can it execute a script upon login?
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2017 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I''m not even going to offer a solution. No clue which DVI variant you are busting open. Bring your soldering iron and a bench setup, those wires are 22-26 gauge. Fire 1 or 2 of the offenders. IF they know they shouldn't do whatever the hell it is you have issue with, termination is the simplest fix. This whole thread is riddled with solutions you don't like, go to the root.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2017 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I''m not even going to offer a solution. No clue which DVI variant you are busting open. Bring your soldering iron and a bench setup, those wires are 22-26 gauge. Fire 1 or 2 of the offenders. IF they know they shouldn't do whatever the hell it is you have issue with, termination is the simplest fix. This whole thread is riddled with solutions you don't like, go to the root.

Hard to fire people if you don't know who they are - besides the situation is unique (government building, research lab, Phd's (do I have to say more about that last one?).

The point here is that the data is being used for billing purposes - if they are not logging the use, how the hell can you bill them? No cameras are not an option as much as we would like to there is the whole privacy issue - so don't go there (you will hurt someone feelings). lol

Anyways - forget I asked...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-03-2017).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hard to fire people if you don't know who they are - besides the situation is unique (government building, research lab, Phd's (do I have to say more about that last one?).

The point here is that the data is being used for billing purposes - if they are not logging the use, how the hell can you bill them? No cameras are not an option as much as we would like to there is the whole privacy issue - so don't go there (you will hurt someone feelings). lol

I understand termination is a bit of an extreme for something that sounds so trivial and needed. Put a fused line in and take the fuse with you when you go. This really sounds more like a teaching opportunity than anything else though.
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2017 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my god if my employer can have a user name and password for every employee and can trac whom and when and how long they are signed in, on that unit.to get into the h.r. system, they a government dept sure as hell can..
You want to lock up the unit and have a remote turn on that requires them to be able to reach you or anyone else with the remote switch..
if this is that big of an issue,, wire the power outlet to a switch away from the unit to keep the info on the screen out of view of a camera, but there can be a camera recording the switch and whom threw it and when..
This sounds more like you just want to $%# with someone than anything reasonable.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 09-04-2017).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2017 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

my god if my employer can have a user name and password for every employee and can trac whom and when and how long they are signed in, on that unit.to get into the h.r. system, they a government dept sure as hell can..
You want to lock up the unit and have a remote turn on that requires them to be able to reach you or anyone else with the remote switch..
if this is that big of an issue,, wire the power outlet to a switch away from the unit to keep the info on the screen out of view of a camera, but there can be a camera recording the switch and whom threw it and when..
This sounds more like you just want to $%# with someone than anything reasonable.

I got a similar take out of this. Plenty of options were presented. I feel like this is a problem that is being created. A fused plug would sold it. Get a blade style then pop it in and out. Regardless, I hope he gets something to his satisfaction.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock