Started on: 08-31-2017 02:08 AM
Replies: 7 (144 views)
Last post by: rice.1 on 08-31-2017 11:17 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2017 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30+ years ago I blew out my knees doing concertina training, and sicne then they go out on me again every so often. Last time was 2011 and I was on crutches for 3 weeks.

I somehow managed to take out the right one again last week, and have been being a stubborn ass since. Finally gave in and bought a cane today, and have been doing the usual Voltarin/A535 rub, Tylenol and tensor bandage to hobble around.

Last time I was working for a major corporation, and had the luxury of sitting on my azz at work while it healed, this time I dont have that. I NEED to be able to get around and crutches help a little but arent exactly a great solution in all places (although they do get ya great sympathy from the wyminz )

Anybody up-to-date on medical stuff and can recommend some type of new-fangled modern knee brace ? Mt knowledge of that kind of device stops at tensor bandages and elastic braces and is stuck in around 1983. I'm not planning on running a marathon with it but I DO need to walk, for example tomorrow is going to be about 12 blocks total between the different trips and stops pain or no pain.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They have some that are for folks that wore away the cartilage or have arthritis or are awaiting surgery, they kinda separate the joint a little,

they aren't too bulky, but they are kinda expensive.

They are called "Unloader", hinged, or ones used for folks that have torn ligaments , I think the ones that actually work are over 400 bucks.

I'd find the best one(s) and then look for them on eBay.
Talk to doctors(most will scoff and tell you to get some kinda surgery), physical therapy folks, etc.

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obviously only an x-ray or better, a MRI, will tell the exact damage and be able to tell you exactly what treatment you will need.

In medicine, thanks to sports like football, we are well versed in joint treatments. This much we know --- once the joint is damaged, regardless of age, it will never be that same again. (Though you probably already knew this.)

Often if there is physical damage (meniscus, cartilage) you will need some kind of surgery to repair it. Joints are prone to swelling and that is often the source of pain. NSAID help along with cold and warm compresses.

Most of all don't make it worse. Yes, a brace helps and a cane if needed. Stairs can be the worst and you are loading a single leg with lots of weight. But, it's not all bad. Movement will help to rehabilitate it also. You just want to do it slowly. Often people try too soon to do too much. Joints, including the back, take time.

I hope this helps.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sure this isn't just fluid build up in the knee?? My dad had to have one of his drained a year ago and the pain went away..
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know your pain mem, after 12 years of being a catcher my knees are gone also, I use a neoprene support with metal bracing stitched into the sides, it is comfortable enough that I can walk 18 holes of golf and not even notice it.
looks something like this but I bought both of mine at walmart 10-15 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/McDa...&keywords=knee+brace

dan
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recommend the type of knee brace that Bonaduce has because they are relatively inexpensive and do help reduce pain. I also have a couple of them but after six knee surgeries and two replacements, my knees area bit unique. BTW, I also have three of the unloader types and what they really do is shift weight from one of the two knee compartments to the other. That can reduce wear/pain on one side but it is really not a permanent solution. BTW, the average cost of a custom unloader brace here in the States is between $1200 - $1500 per brace. That is based on the three of them that are on my closet shelf.

Nelson
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2017 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use braces like bonaduce posted for sports where I have to cut and be on uneven ground. My knee caps pop out if I don't come straight down perfect on my ankles. I buy 2 every year for playing softball. They are tough and hold up. At the end of softball season, I do a mud run/obstacle course (got one this weekend, actually). I tape them on with duct tape, and usually toss them afterwards.

I get the ones that CVS offers. They are, I believe, in the upper $20 price range, but are worth it for me. I've tried the ones Walmart sells for a little cheaper, and I was never comfortable in them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock