Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  How to treat interior wood for using it outdoors?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to treat interior wood for using it outdoors? by Cheever3000
Started on: 08-19-2017 10:15 PM
Replies: 22 (328 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 08-26-2017 11:39 AM
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We bought our house last October.
In the master bedroom, we didn't like the 2 sliding doors in front of the closet, so I removed them.
I want to set up an outside shower, but I need a small amount of privacy "shielding", and I can't afford to BUY anything right now.
So... I'm wondering if it's possible to re-purpose the sliding doors from the closet for outside shower privacy panels.
They are wooden, currently painted off-white, and are each 2' 6" wide, 6' 6" high, and 1.5" thick.

Is there some coating or sealer or something that I could put on them, that would weatherproof them?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2017 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any exterior grade home paint will do. No fuss.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Any exterior grade home paint will do. No fuss.

Fantastic! I didn't know it would be that simple!
Kinda sounds like a no-brainer now that I think about it. But then I've never been a wood-working guy. Or any other kind of working for that matter, heheh.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2017 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you mean when you say wood, are they chip board, partical board or truly real wood..
I'd use paint or varnish made for use on boats..
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

What do you mean when you say wood, are they chip board, partical board or truly real wood..
I'd use paint or varnish made for use on boats..

Real wood. The house was built in 72 and they are original to the house. They have louvres (fixed, non-moving).
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2017 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A trick I've used is to just spray it (garden pump-sprayer) with a deck preservative. Its gotta be redone every few years but gets into every nook, cranny and corner and is a LOT easier than painting....I hat painting, I'm at a point if it cant be sprayed it dont get done !
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interior doors are normally hollow. While you can do as suggested above, I would not expect them to last a very long time. Coat them well past the point you think they have sufficient covering , allow to dry and repeat. Let us known how it works out.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2017 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Interior doors are normally hollow. While you can do as suggested above, I would not expect them to last a very long time. Coat them well past the point you think they have sufficient covering , allow to dry and repeat. Let us known how it works out.

I think the type doors he is talking about at bi-fold closet doors.. with louvers , they most times are pine , many are cedar but with him say'n they are white/painted I'm going with pine..

I don't know when they started using hollow doors for interior.. but my house everything is solid oak but this was built in 1934 door knobs are glass..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-20-2017).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know when they started using hollow doors for interior.. but my house everything is solid oak but this was built in 1934 door knobs are glass..

That's so awesome.

I do the same thing. This is the second house I've completely renovated, and as I go through it, all the doors that need replacing (or that can be improved) I only buy solid core doors. The quality / feel is just dramatically different than a hollow-core press-board door.

This home was built in 1983, and it was made by a custom home builder that only builds luxury homes. There's a LOT of large wood beams... I mean, it was over-engineered. But unless the door was a louvered door (not bi-folds, but louvered), the door was still hollow-core. So I'm replacing those... but I'm donating everything to Habitat for Humanity.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2017 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should elaborate...

Use a paint and primer brand. Any mid to high quality will do. Like stated, over paint them. With a roller each coat will take minutes. Screw two sticks of 1x2 to the bottom of doors to keep upright while painting and until dry. After removing screws, fill and paint small holes to keep elements out. Walk away happy.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

But unless the door was a louvered door (not bi-folds, but louvered)

You can have a louvered, bi-fold door. The doors in the pic E.Furgal posted are both louvered (the slats) and bi-fold (they swing AND they bend in the middle).
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

You can have a louvered, bi-fold door. The doors in the pic E.Furgal posted are both louvered (the slats) and bi-fold (they swing AND they bend in the middle).

Yeah, I wasn't being clear in what I was saying. I meant doors that are louvered, that are not bi-fold.

I like the Masonite ones by Home Depot. I've installed three of them in my house in Florida, and bought three of them here in Texas. There were already two sets of doors that were louvered... one that separates the rest of the house from the laundry room / butler's pantry, and then one that was the pantry door.

I replaced my daughter's walk-in closet door with the pantry door (nice stained wood), and then framed in a smaller door for the pantry with a pre-hung that I ordered from Home Depot.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for not replying sooner... I was busy all day yesterday.
Here are the doors (no longer at the closet... just leaned up against the wall).
Of course, I'll take off the hardware at the top.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 08-21-2017).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Sorry for not replying sooner... I was busy all day yesterday.
Here are the doors (no longer at the closet... just leaned up against the wall).
Of course, I'll take off the hardware at the top.

If this is going to be used for an outside shower, where water will get on it regularly, they're not going to last. It's not pressure treated, and more than likely it's either cedar or poplar. If you do want to use it, you'll want to use outdoor Latex paint. I mean, really... you'd need to completely seal it, because any water intrusion (through where the louvers join), and you're going to almost immediately get rot. Unless the shower is in the sun.

As for orientation... like I told my wife...

"Do you want little kids to see you naked, or do you want adults to see you naked?" Once you've made your choice, that determines which side of the door / orientation of the louvers face you... hahah.
Is that ceiling Artex? What year is the house? If you scrape that off... check to make sure it's not asbestos...
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...water intrusion (through where the louvers join)

Yeah, you're probably right about that. Maybe I should just make a frame out of pvc and stretch some material in it.

"Do you want little kids to see you naked, or do you want adults to see you naked?"

This would be off the back patio, and the neighbors behind me are distant enough to not see thru the louvers. Neighbor on one side is blocked by part of the house; neighbor on the other side is blocked by shrubs, trees, and grapevines. As for kids, well... "How much for the little girl?"

Is that ceiling Artex? What year is the house? If you scrape that off... check to make sure it's not asbestos.

House is from 1972. Don't know what it is, but surely inspections check for asbestos, don't they? I need to read the inspection report again. Still, we aren't planning to remove it any time soon. We don't mind the ceiling texture too much, although we certainly would not have asked for it.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 08-21-2017).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a set of louvered doors half that size sit outside painted as a partition for ten years. I still have the louvered doors. They were used for several years as an inside partition in the basement. They now sit waiting for future use.

Just over paint them.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I had a set of louvered doors half that size sit outside painted as a partition for ten years. I still have the louvered doors. They were used for several years as an inside partition in the basement. They now sit waiting for future use.

Just over paint them.

Cool. Good to hear that.
Painting is something I definitely can do.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could hang shower curtain in there so water doesn't soak the doors.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, you're probably right about that. Maybe I should just make a frame out of pvc and stretch some material in it.

It shouldn't be bad if it's in direct sunlight... that'll cause the wood to dry out more quickly, and reduce the chances of rot.

Either way, you've got these doors and don't have any other use for them, so might as well use them for that!

House is from 1972. Don't know what it is, but surely inspections check for asbestos, don't they? I need to read the inspection report again. Still, we aren't planning to remove it any time soon. We don't mind the ceiling texture too much, although we certainly would not have asked for it.

I would say with 80% confidence, that what you have on your ceiling is asbestos-enforced. It's not a problem when it's left alone, but if you decided at some point you wanted to scrap it off and have a solid-flat ceiling, then you would definitely need to get asbestos abatement. They used asbestos in the architectural mortar that was used to make designs and stuff for ceilings. Early "popcorn" also used asbestos in it. Asbestos was banned in multiple steps through annual legislation that started in 1973 and continued through 1978, basically phasing it out of almost everything. Since your home was built in 1972, I can realistically assure you that it has asbestos in the ceiling design.

Again though, as long as you don't do anything with it, you don't have to worry about it. Asbestos realistically is only dangerous if you're exposed to it in airborne form on a regular basis (IE: people who work with it). With it on your ceiling, it'll cause you no harm.

Should you decide to replace a ceiling fan or light, can't hurt to just wear a particulate / dust mask, and then vacuum the area afterwards.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the type doors he is talking about at bi-fold closet doors.. with louvers , they most times are pine , many are cedar but with him say'n they are white/painted I'm going with pine..

Thats what I was thinking too. I have some in my house. I just sprayed them with a couple of coats of auto urethane. Theyre not hollow, I think theyre solid pine.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2017 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would say with 80% confidence, that what you have on your ceiling is asbestos-enforced. It's not a problem when it's left alone, but if you decided at some point you wanted to scrap it off and have a solid-flat ceiling, then you would definitely need to get asbestos abatement.

Kind of like about 100 4x8 corrugated sheets I have of something called Johns Manville Transite. It's fine as a wall or even a roof, but the're all heavy because they are made from cement reinforced with asbestos. Came from a refinery out of an old boiler room where they were roof and walls. Not harmful as long as you don't go cutting or drilling on them, but once you do, you expose yourself to the asbestos fibers and risk mesothelioma. I don't have a use for them only because each sheet weighs about 100lbs but they would make walls for a cow shed or even a hay barn if I was a lot younger and could handle them easily. I'll just have to bite the bullet, open my wallet and pay to have it all disposed of properly.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2017 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would say with 80% confidence, that what you have on your ceiling is asbestos-enforced.

Thank you very much Todd. I learned a valuable lesson.

Heh, we just sold our home in part because of peeling paint on the ceilings and I wanted to scrape them all smooth and change textures. I dodged a bullet.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Thank you very much Todd. I learned a valuable lesson.

Heh, we just sold our home in part because of peeling paint on the ceilings and I wanted to scrape them all smooth and change textures. I dodged a bullet.

No problem... I did some research AFTER scraping popcorn off the ceilings of two homes. 1983 and 1987... pretty sure neither had asbestos... but I know better now to make sure I check.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock