A ? about gas grill. by johnt671
Started on: 05-24-2017 01:46 PM
Replies: 12 (198 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 05-26-2017 08:22 PM
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did they stop using brickquettes in gas grills? I've been looking for two days for a new grill and can't find one that uses them. That"s not grilling. I might as well turn the stove on and cook a hot dog over the flame.

[This message has been edited by johnt671 (edited 05-24-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2017 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIrc charbroil still does..
Most stopped as the upkeep, cleaning was a pain and customers didn't do it..
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2017 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always used lava rock and there are also ceramic plates and briquettes you can get for the same job.

https://www.amazon.com/Gril...a-Rock/dp/B002Q7EGVY

Home depot ect should have them. You might have to find them packaged for landscape use, but its the same rock.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the reasons you don't see the artificial briquettes any more is because environmental/health groups say even the phony briquettes cause 'known carcinogens' to be released into the air. Not nearly as much as charcoal or wood, but the dripping fat on the hot rocks still produces some 'cancer causing smoke'. Some, (maybe many) manufacturers did not want to have to include a 'cancer warning' label on their grills.

"Grilling is a naturally low-fat cooking method that produces a lot of flavor. However, to reduce potential exposure to harmful carcinogens that result from charring and smoke exposure, regular occurrences in grilled foods, keep your lava rocks fresh. As the fat from your food drips down onto the rocks, the excess is stored in the rock’s pores, leading to extra smoking as time goes by. The smoking fat not only changes the flavor of your food, it contains harmful carcinogens. However, lava rocks can also be used to reduce the exposure to carcinogens from grilling because of their high heat-holding capacity. The longer the heat is held in the grill, the shorter the cooking times, which means less exposure to smoke and carcinogens. The high heat-holding ability also means you can turn off the flame, close the lid and keep your food on the grill to finish slowly cooking or warming, without needing to expose it to a continuous flame or smoke.

http://www.livestrong.com/a...a-rock-for-grilling/

Not all landscaping lava rocks are the genuine article. I've seen some at Lowes that stated they were made from industrial slag of some kind.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2017 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking the briquettes just evened out the heat, maybe the grill design helped that not be needed.
johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:
Did they stop using brickquettes in gas grills? I've been looking for two days for a new grill and can't find one that uses them. That"s not grilling.

I don't think it is grilling when one uses brickquettes in gas grills. To each their own.

That said, I have some from like forever. I have used my old ones in the new gas 'pit'. I prefer wood though.
What happened to your old brickquettes ?
johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had a real gas grill for years. It just fell apart after using it so long. Every few years I'd do a rebuild on it but the main parts were going bad. My wife got me a nice gas grill a few years ago but to me not the same. It;s really neat, as it is on wheels and has a cooler under it and the grill part drops down for storage and pulls up to cook or the grill part can be removed to cook on a table top. It is large enough to cook for four people at a time. To me the big downside is the top is solid so it's like cooking on a frying pan. It's great for doing bacon and eggs in the morning.

We use to separate the two pieces, load the cooler up and throw the thing in the back of my Cherokee and go somewhere with it, but to me frying isn't grilling.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:
We use to separate the two pieces, load the cooler up and throw the thing in the back of my Cherokee and go somewhere with it, but to me frying isn't grilling.

Frying is not grilling, you are right.
What grilling is, is the question. Think about it. It depends on what the definition of is is (sorry, couldn't help myself).

I get it. You prefer three pieces including the propane bottle. Do you like smoked bacon, BBQ ? When I go somewhere, there is usually a 'pit', wood fired. If not, I take a piece of expanded metal and make my own.
Yeah, hunting fire wood on an ocean beach is a biatch. I carry my own with me in a ruck sack or duffle bag. Pre-cut.

I am not knocking your flavor of taste.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

What grilling is, is the question. Think about it. It depends on what the definition of is is (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Grilling is what Trey Gowdy does so well.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I get it. You prefer three pieces including the propane bottle. Do you like smoked bacon, BBQ ? When I go somewhere, there is usually a 'pit', wood fired. If not, I take a piece of expanded metal and make my own.
Yeah, hunting fire wood on an ocean beach is a biatch. I carry my own with me in a ruck sack or duffle bag. Pre-cut.

I am not knocking your flavor of taste.

That, is BIG money. I could carry a truckload of cut firewood down to Bolivar Peninsula, tied up in little bundles, priced high...on a holiday weekend and make a killin..

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-26-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
Grilling is what Trey Gowdy does so well.

How old are you ? Do you remember dime store novels ? From back in the old west days, circa 1800's.

I saw a young Trey Gowdy on the Forensics Files.

Yes, Trey Gowdy is good. He is the one who told the House Investigative panel that Lois Lerner of the IRS forfeited her 5th Amendment right.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35962 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by maryjane:
That, is BIG money. I could carry a truckload of cut firewood down to Bolivar Peninsula, tied up in little bundles, priced high...on a holiday weekend and make a killin..

At one time, I had thought about trucking a butt load of mesquite to Arizona.

Heck Don, you could even take trash wood (not good for grilling). Everybody wants a small bonfire at night. A three day weekend, better yet Spring Break, you could go back everyday and have repeat customers. Tell the wife you are working, and go look at bikinis. Don't turn down free beer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock