Started on: 05-23-2017 11:25 AM
Replies: 16 (364 views)
Last post by: FriendGregory on 07-05-2017 04:09 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, more peaceful, loving .
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If that's the "best" that MEM can do, then he's having an "off" day. Or an "off hour". Or maybe just an "off minute".

Any excuse for a new (frowning emoticon) to put up here.

It's not news that there are Islamic insurgents in the Philippines, and that some either take their marching orders or get their ideas from ISIS.

Said the man.

Click to show

Who Dat say?

Click to show

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-23-2017).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah the nothing to see move along,
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yet another group, to add to the dozens of armed groups that have plagued the PI for many many decades.
Radical Muslim groups like the Moro are but the latest of a very long line of 'revolutionary' groups the PI has had to fight even before independence, even before the ouster of Ferdinand Marcos.

http://asiasociety.org/orig...movement-philippines
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update from Marawi, the predominantly Muslim city in the Philippines where the Philippines national army was called in to repel a significant incursion by ISIS-linked Islamic militants.

"They were fixin' to burn the entire city to the ground..."

http://www.nbcnews.com/stor...arawi-ablaze-n765971
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2017 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am reading ISIL not ISIS? Really, what is the difference?

The videos coming form there are horrific. Not good times. Allah is not being "peaceful". Not peaceful at all.

I often wonder how life would be if I saw it through a false sense? To be able to not see the things being done now and in the past. I often dream...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No difference between ISIS and ISIL..the "L" simply signifies "Levant" which is a geographical region in which former caliphates were located.
ISIS can be referring to several things, with the first 3 letters generally all the same..Islamic State In 'Syria" Islamic State In Iraq and Syria, and "Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham", with al-Sham being a reference back to the area of the former caliphates.
All of these are Western attempts to put a name on the Islamic State, which is neither a state or Islamic.
The closest Arabic names are "al-Dawla al-Islamiya fil Iraq wa al-Sham" from which another word is derived: "Daesh".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27994277
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

No difference between ISIS and ISIL..the "L" simply signifies "Levant" which is a geographical region in which former caliphates were located.
ISIS can be referring to several things, with the first 3 letters generally all the same..Islamic State In 'Syria" Islamic State In Iraq and Syria, and "Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham", with al-Sham being a reference back to the area of the former caliphates......

All of these are Western attempts to put a name on the Islamic State, which is neither a state or Islamic.

So,.... isis claim to be a muslum group, and the "West" is labeling them as such
So exactly who is it that is attempting to take islam out of isis?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ISIS/ISIL/Daesh et al.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

ISIS/ISIL/Daesh et al.

Sorry Don, if this was a reply to my question, I did not understand your answer. Could you please elaborate.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Philippines now under attack"
Wrong. They have a long history of problem w/ Maute etc, like 20+ years, but you don't here most in the US news.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

"Philippines now under attack"
Wrong. They have a long history of problem w/ Maute etc, like 20+ years, but you don't here most in the US news.

Is "w/ Maule etc" a jehadist group? Have the Philippines been fighting of jehadists for 20+ years? Or have they been fighting political groups?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update here. The battle to reclaim Marawi City from Islamic State-aligned militants has now continued for more than 40 days, already having claimed the lives of more than 80 from the Philippine's national security forces and at least 40 counted as civilians, plus an estimated 300+ Islamic extremists.

Fixed wing and rotary aircraft have been dropping bombs and firing rockets against militants lodged within high-rise structures in the city's commercial center. Marines and army rangers have been struggling to clear out the militants, engaging in house-to-house firefights in the operation to make the city a city again.

Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/arti...s-idUSKBN19Q0DS?il=0
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2017 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Fixed wing and rotary aircraft have been dropping bombs and firing rockets against militants lodged within high-rise structures in the city's commercial center. Marines and army rangers have been struggling to clear out the militants, engaging in house-to-house firefights in the operation to make the city a city again.

You posted this, but quoted this from Reuters...

"U.S. forces are providing Philippine troops with technical assistance for the battle while Australia has sent two surveillance planes."

No where did I read Marines and Army Rangers were struggling or some odd shat? So, which is it? I would honestly like the truth on this matter. Not an opinion.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello hello hello

This is something I did not expect. I went back to my post and followed my link, and I just saw that Reuters changed that report--updated it in a kind of major way. Let me call what they have online (same link) Battle_of_Marawi_City_Version_2.0

I don't have any more information than this latest update from Reuters. Just use that same link that I already posted.

This caught my attention because I didn't realize that this particular problem in the Philippines, in this same city, Malawi City, which MEM reported at the inception of this thread, was still going on, and in kind of a big way. It surprised me when I saw this on Reuters. I hope that this is going to be the exception for the Philippines, and not the "rule." Needless to say, there will be other episodes there, in the Philippines, but I think this Marawi City violence is the work of one particular group of Islamic militants that is more aggressive than most of the other such groups that are active in the Philippines.

How's that?

Now, if y'all don't mind (or even if you do), I return to my regularly scheduled Wednesday afternoon installment of losing my flippin mind !!!!
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems that they are ramping up the stupid. Way back some 20 years ago, there were several places that were considered a bad idea to go because of the Muslims. I was talking about going and my buddy asked me to let him send a security person to go with me, he was "connected" and knew that there was a Muslim problem in too many provinces.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock