Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Serious question about trucking, supply and demand and capitalism... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Serious question about trucking, supply and demand and capitalism... by dennis_6
Started on: 05-21-2017 11:57 PM
Replies: 63 (605 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-24-2017 05:56 PM
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2017 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If trucking's low wages is due to supply and demand, and the government limits the amount a driver can make a week for the "good" of the public through hour of service rules, unlike 99 percent of other jobs. The remaining 1 percent such as airline pilot pays very well, shouldn't the people benefiting the governments actions pay greater to the driver that suffers for the greater good? I mean the government involvement here is not capitalism. It is state interference.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Keel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2017 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

If trucking's low wages is due to supply and demand, and the government limits the amount a driver can make a week for the "good" of the public through hour of service rules, unlike 99 percent of other jobs. The remaining 1 percent such as airline pilot pays very well, shouldn't the people benefiting the governments actions pay greater to the driver that suffers for the greater good? I mean the government involvement here is not capitalism. It is state interference.

What is 100k plus and bennies a year not good enough. for driving someone else's rig, And they are paying the upkeep and fuel bills..

Just be glad they are not paid like the service crew on air lines.. they don't get paid while the plane sits idle.. only when it is moving..

Don't worry, soon you'll be replaced by a robot.. and be in the unemployment line.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2017 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welp. they have hour logs and limits for a reason..
Sure some can stay focused for longer hours than others,, but they set it for the avg Joe..
Just like texting is banned because some can't drive and chew at the same time, nevermind type ..
Just like some can drive safely at a higher than posted speed limit.. they set them for the lowest common dope..

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2017 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pilot pay well???

Why wasnt I informed of this? I guarantee you I mad a whole lot more doing ground service than I ever did in the air.

A very small percentage of guys that get to the major carriers can do OK at it, but the rest of us flying regionals, or charter, or medical, or ag, or survey or the rest of the work barely made an average living.

Ya probably didnt realize either that most places, flight hours (IOW, the experinece gained) are considered part of the compensation package.

Its a racket. For drainage surveys I used to make $10/hr plus $10 per roll of film, and if there was ONE bad picture the operator would discount that entire roll. There is a reason for those "Will fly for food" t-shirts. . Conversley, I never made less that $18/hr doing ground service, and if I took stat holidays I could be hitting $100/hr.

Another good one... In about 98 I went to apply for a job at a parachute school, flying an Islander. They wanted me to pay for my own type rating, pay membership to the club/school, AND only get payed minimum wage for hobbs time (the actual time the motors are running, or about 50-60% of the workload)... Keep looking for a sucker, I can make more flipping burgers.

**** 'em, LET the drones do the work.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 05-22-2017).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I'm going to say is that as a former Army RW Test Pilot qualified in three different A/C is this.

When I got out of the Army, I had a lot of hours in RW and the experience of a Test Pilot. As is the norm, I would have preferred to fly for some commercial outfit. The best offer I got was not as good as what truck drivers start out at.

The big airlines pay decent money to Commercial Airline Captains, anyone below that grade scrapes by waiting on the opportunity to get in the Captain's seat. One needs to recognize that flying almost anything and getting paid to do it is something most pilots want to do. All of the military services are constantly training more new candidates to be their stick jockeys because, they are always losing pilots. All those pilots getting out of the military have the desire to sit in another cockpit. But there are only so many cockpit seats to be filled so, they don't have to pay much to get someone in that seat.

Truck driving is somewhat similar in that there are a lot of people willing to do it so, filling those seats behind the driver's wheels isn't all that difficult. It's all about supply and demand. Lots of folks will do it so, the pay is lower. The rules were put in for safety reasons that we all recognize. I "Hot Shot" on a part time basis. I only take loads that are worth taking. I do transport Fieros once in a while and will do so for slightly less money but, the truth is, my time, effort and equipment are worth something and I won't do it for free again. Have done so in the past and that has proven to be a losing cause.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

Open your frigg'n minds, think about all the other tools that can be made into WMDs.

If you wish to upset a Conservative, lie to him.
If you wish to upset a Liberal, tell him the truth.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 05-22-2017).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Keel:

What is 100k plus and bennies a year not good enough. for driving someone else's rig, And they are paying the upkeep and fuel bills..

Just be glad they are not paid like the service crew on air lines.. they don't get paid while the plane sits idle.. only when it is moving..

Don't worry, soon you'll be replaced by a robot.. and be in the unemployment line.

100k? lmao. Maybe 40k.

Robot trucks are never coming, they may do well in perfect conditions... However, tire blowout, ice on a mountain grade, near zero visibility down pour, sensor failure, etc. Your job may be replaced first.

I have in my life,
gained a degree in electronics engineering, did that for a number of years, never made more than 13 dollars a hour, while writing code for microprocessors.
drover otr, made 32k a year.
played corrections officers to the tune of 12-13 dollars a hour, supervising monsters for four years.
I started off pushing carts, while in school. Moved into real jobs, like factories while going to college full time, and driving 4 hours round trip.
You can drop the you are talking to a snowflake attitude.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 05-22-2017).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Trucking Companies Prepare for Possible Driver Union Battle

Union or non-union?
That is the question many truck drivers across America have debated for years. Truck drivers face long hours, low pay, disrespect and continual abuse by trucking companies which come in the form of taking advantage of CDL students and new drivers as a means of cheap labor. Couple this with the on-going abuse of the truck driver DAC Report and the illegal lease agreements between driver and the trucking company lease-purchase programs, professional truckers seem to take it from all sides.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2017 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of what is described in that article is exactly the kind of staff abuse I've talked about here and fought against in the food industry for 7 years.

Problem is, sure you can unionize but the way the companies are set up, the one you are working for owns NOTHING, everything is leased via a chain of holding companies, all based in different legal jurisdictions so if you do unionize (or they loose a liability suit) all they do is shut down company #1 today and re-open company #2 tomorrow, and it costs them no more than a few thousand in legal and filing fees.

If a corporation is determined to ignore the law, it is very easy for them to set themselves up to be virtually untouchable about it. PLUS, the people (employees) they are screwing over are low on the totem pole (NOT celebrates, or lawyers kids, or politions, basically nobody's) so it is damn near impossible to get anybody in a position to do something to actually care enough to do it.

Seems to be one of those things where some of us paid attention in ethics class, and some didnt.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2017 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

100k? lmao. Maybe 40k.

Robot trucks are never coming, they may do well in perfect conditions... However, tire blowout, ice on a mountain grade, near zero visibility down pour, sensor failure, etc. Your job may be replaced first.

I have in my life,
gained a degree in electronics engineering, did that for a number of years, never made more than 13 dollars a hour, while writing code for microprocessors.
drover otr, made 32k a year.
played corrections officers to the tune of 12-13 dollars a hour, supervising monsters for four years.
I started off pushing carts, while in school. Moved into real jobs, like factories while going to college full time, and driving 4 hours round trip.
You can drop the you are talking to a snowflake attitude.

IDK but the truck drivers here are making 100k +
Heck the ups drivers pull 75-90k

40k that loosers at swift

FYI our own employed drivers get 10.00 a pallet that they bring back, I.E. When they unload at the store and pick up the empty pallets ..
It's an easy 100-250.00 a stop extra... And most are 2 stops per load.. and 2-3 loads a day..
That is over and above the teamsters pay.. holiday pay, ot, bennies, Might be looking for a new company to drive for if you are making 40k..
or is that a lie.. and it's 40k + insurance,etc.. and before the o/t and holiday pay and back loads..

Heck most of the overnight crew stocking the shelves are making 60k+

I'm willing to bet much of the bitching is from drivers that didn't have the money to take the training classes to get a CDL and the trucking company paid your sorry asses way through it.. And now the driver is stuck driving for the company and a lower pay to pay back the money for the classes and fees/test/etc.. and the risk that not all that they take in, make the test..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 05-22-2017).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.glassdoor.com/S...lary-SRCH_KO0,12.htm

and:
https://www.indeed.com/sala...ruck-Driver-Salaries
US Dept of Labor however the US Dept of Labor pegs the median annual salary for all truck drivers at around $40,000--as of May 2016.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/tra...er-truck-drivers.htm
Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

https://www.glassdoor.com/S...lary-SRCH_KO0,12.htm

and:
https://www.indeed.com/sala...ruck-Driver-Salaries
US Dept of Labor however the US Dept of Labor pegs the median annual salary for all truck drivers at around $40,000--as of May 2016.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/tra...er-truck-drivers.htm

Is that just big rigs or all truck drivers.. including ups/fed-x/other corriers, contracted us mail and other small box truck company drivers..

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DoL data is from all truck drivers who report their occupation on federal tax returns as 'truck driver'.

I didn't look very close at the independent websites.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

... some of us paid attention in ethics class, and some didnt.

Oh, the irony!
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Oh, the irony!

Only an "engineer" would judge from post on a forum..
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

UPS (OTR) drivers make big bucks because they had to work for decades with a basically perfect record before Buster Brown would hire them. Same with any driver making that kind of money.

The "loosers" [sic]@ SWIFT, Schneider, etc are generally drivers just starting out. For their $40k pay, they're gone as much as 3 months at a time (with a few days at most back home), they pay for food (it's NOT cheap like going to the grocery at home), they pay for showers, they have the inconvenience of driving to places they know nothing about dealing with things most normal people never have to deal with. They also have to unload their own freight which cuts into their sleep time and wears them out. Sure, they can pay a lumper but then they get put in the back of the line and the company doesn't always pay the full lumper amount. Would you like me to go on?

Before you tell me I'm talking out of my butt, Mr. Furgal, I was probably behind the wheel of a big truck when you were still in nappies so I DO know what I'm talking about. When I started (with Schneider!), I was making .19/LOADED mile (.10/MT mile and we were paid BOOK miles, NOT actual miles) and was gone AT LEAST 3 months at a time. My first truck was SO bad, I STILL remember my truck number AFTER 30+ YEARS (11511).

Please don't talk about things you know nothing about, my friend.

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 05-23-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

UPS (OTR) drivers make big bucks because they had to work for decades with a basically perfect record before Buster Brown would hire them. Same with any driver making that kind of money.

The "loosers" [sic]@ SWIFT, Schneider, etc are generally drivers just starting out. For their $40k pay, they're gone as much as 3 months at a time (with a few days at most back home), they pay for food (it's NOT cheap like going to the grocery at home), they pay for showers, they have the inconvenience of driving to places they know nothing about dealing with things most normal people never have to deal with. They also have to unload their own freight which cuts into their sleep time and wears them out. Sure, they can pay a lumper but then they get put in the back of the line and the company doesn't always pay the full lumper amount. Would you like me to go on?

Before you tell me I'm talking out of my butt, Mr. Furgal, I was probably behind the wheel of a big truck when you were still in nappies so I DO know what I'm talking about. When I started (with Schneider!), I was making .19/LOADED mile (.10/MT mile and we were paid BOOK miles, NOT actual miles) and was gone AT LEAST 3 months at a time. My first truck was SO bad, I STILL remember my truck number AFTER 30+ YEARS (11511).

Please don't talk about things you know nothing about, my friend.

I talk to truckers every day all day as I check in the loads, and b.o.l. and all that fun that goes with shipping and receiving ..

So you might want to get off that high horse.. just because your area doesn't pay **** .. doesn't mean it is that way nation wide..
I also don't feel for those that are locked into driving for swift and the like.. They expect the company to have foot the training bill and testing cost and risk, and stupid high insurance that comes with new CDL drivers, then cry like bitches that they are only making x dollars.. Where else do we see this, oh ya college kids that don't think they need to pay the student loans..
I know 3 ups drivers out side of the 5 that come to my dock.. and they all are over 75k + bennies like insurance/etc and all drive the small brown box trucks. not the rigs..
Most truckers making crap money come in 3 flavors..
1) new drivers that had a company pay for their training/testing and risk cost of insurance
2)The new driver that foot the bill of training him/her self but the good trucking companies don't want that high risk driver (new) on their insurance
3) the @$$clown that treats the recievers/docks like they own it. hint, When a trucker sends out resumes.. The companies send out a rep. to the known area, and ask if we've heard of so and so.. and ask how they are.. The old employer can't give much of a bad ref. but us shipper /recievers can and do.

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FYI our own employed drivers get 10.00 a pallet that they bring back, I.E. When they unload at the store and pick up the empty pallets ..
It's an easy 100-250.00 a stop extra... And most are 2 stops per load.. and 2-3 loads a day..
That is over and above the teamsters pay.. holiday pay, ot, bennies, Might be looking for a new company to drive for if you are making 40k..
or is that a lie.. and it's 40k + insurance,etc.. and before the o/t and holiday pay and back loads..

I'm willing to bet much of the bitching is from drivers that didn't have the money to take the training classes to get a CDL and the trucking company paid your sorry asses way through it.. And now the driver is stuck driving for the company and a lower pay to pay back the money for the classes and fees/test/etc.. and the risk that not all that they take in, make the test..

I drove 7 years Otr before working in corrections for 4 years.

I am doing a dedicated run right now. Doesn't pay great, but i see my kids a little more. I run most of my 11, 5 days a week.

I have drove for in the past...
Cr england
JB Hunt (dedicated services)
FFE
DART
FFE and DART were not beginner companies. JB hunt was the automotive dedicated. It also required experience.

100k is the exception, not the rule.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
100k is the norm.. Sure if you don't work w-eds and holidays.. or any holiday o/t.. you are not going to..
but most here do.. 6 days, holidays, o/t.. and clear 100k before you add in the bennies..

JB hunt.. lol.. You drive for a dueypyle also..
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you might want to get off that high horse.. just because your area doesn't pay **** .. doesn't mean it is that way nation wide..

I believe I'll stay on my "high horse" as long as I know what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about local jobs. I was talking about nation wide (and, for the most part, international counting Canada) companies. Schneider, JB Hunt, SWIFT, etc are HUGE conglomerates, not local companies.

It's true, without trucks, America stops. Trucking is one of the most UNappreciated occupations anywhere.

Watch how you talk about truckers, friend. You're getting dangerously close to losing the '+' I gave you.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

100k is the norm.. Sure if you don't work w-eds and holidays.. or any holiday o/t.. you are not going to..
but most here do.. 6 days, holidays, o/t.. and clear 100k before you add in the bennies..

A $100k annual salary is definitely NOT the norm, regardless of how many days/week you work. Don't let someone blow smoke up yer butt. Like I said before, even being out 3 months at a time, you're not going to see $100k. Even if you've put in decades of accident free service, it's unlikely you'll see that kind of green. There are obviously exceptions but those ARE exceptions.

I've never driven for JB Hunt but they've come a LONG way from the way they were 30+ years ago.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe I'll stay on my "high horse" as long as I know what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about local jobs. I was talking about nation wide (and, for the most part, international counting Canada) companies. Schneider, JB Hunt, SWIFT, etc are HUGE conglomerates, not local companies.

It's true, without trucks, America stops. Trucking is one of the most UNappreciated occupations anywhere.

Watch how you talk about truckers, friend. You're getting dangerously close to losing the '+' I gave you.

rate me as you feel the need..
I rate truckers as they act.. Some are great some are a holes just like in any field..
Some are helpful and some complain if you check the load/delivery.. as you are holding them up.. Some are understanding when a seal # is incorrect and needs to be called in before we unload, others complain like it's my fault they put on the wrong seal after the last stop..
Some back into the dock nice and smooth, some hammer it like they want to move the dock 10 feet..
Sorry, if these facts you see as a problem.. rate me as you feel you need to..

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I rate truckers as they act..

The problem is that you're "rating" truckers as a whole, not as individuals. Just like any profession, there are a few bads ones and a bunch of good ones. For the most part, if the trucks wheels are spinning, the driver isn't making any money. Try to see things from their point of view. They only get so many hours to drive and a minimum to stop. Most of the time, drivers count loading/unloading as part of their rest period. The longer the shipper/receiver takes to load/unload the truck, the less time they actually have to sleep. You ever try to nap when the truck moves like King Kong is shaking it every time the forklift enters the trailer? Try it some time. They're doing well just to keep their coffee from spilling. You've heard that saying about walking in anothers shoes? Try it. Please.

You'll keep your '+' from me for the moment. I honestly don't want to see you get banned and you have a heck of a lot more red than green.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The problem is that you're "rating" truckers as a whole, not as individuals. Just like any profession, there are a few bads ones and a bunch of good ones. For the most part, if the trucks wheels are spinning, the driver isn't making any money. Try to see things from their point of view. They only get so many hours to drive and a minimum to stop. Most of the time, drivers count loading/unloading as part of their rest period. The longer the shipper/receiver takes to load/unload the truck, the less time they actually have to sleep. You ever try to nap when the truck moves like King Kong is shaking it every time the forklift enters the trailer? Try it some time. They're doing well just to keep their coffee from spilling. You've heard that saying about walking in anothers shoes? Try it. Please.

You'll keep your '+' from me for the moment. I honestly don't want to see you get banned and you have a heck of a lot more red than green.

I'm rating them as a whole.. really did you even read my last post??

As for the pay..
only drivers that make nothing if the wheels are not spinning are those paid by the load.. They tend to be much nicer as they want to be in and out, the drivers paid by the hour don't really care as much as they get paid either way.. but would rather get home on time..

As for the time at a dock.. Have the correct seal, have the b.o.l. correct, have the load correct i.e. if it should be 3 pieces or 3 pallets make sure it is there before you get to that stop.
Don't have damaged goods.. and then complain when the receiver has to look it over.. or call it in..
Don't knock pallet of product over from a shifting load from not adjusting it after the last stop..
Trust me, we want you gone as fast as you, as we get a little time to breathe also.. between deliveries instead of a line of trucks waiting..

Most that have issues at docks, are from their own making..
last week one driver complained that I checked in other trucks first.. he slammed the dock hard.. and without opening the door of the truck knew the load was all over the floor..
Do you think he opened the truck door and started restacking the pallets he knocked over slamming into the dock??
Nope, he expected us to do it.. Sorry.. Now if he didn't slam into the dock and we opened the door then yes he'd get help.. but to stand there complaining instead of restacking the mess you made, nope..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 05-23-2017).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is over and above the teamsters pay.. holiday pay, ot, bennies,

Where is that?
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supermarket chain

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a good one to work for.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-23-2017).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for the pay..
only drivers that make nothing if the wheels are not spinning are those paid by the load..

The drivers I'm talking about are OTR drivers who (mostly) get paid by the mile. So, if their wheels aren't spinning (meaning they aren't turning miles), they aren't getting paid.

It doesn't matter. I'm out of this thread. I've been there and done that. I hope, one day, you can experience trucker-dom from the drivers seat only so you can see things the way they really are. In the meantime, I wish you a great day!
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Sounds like a good one to work for.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

The drivers I'm talking about are OTR drivers who (mostly) get paid by the mile. So, if their wheels aren't spinning (meaning they aren't turning miles), they aren't getting paid.

It doesn't matter. I'm out of this thread. I've been there and done that. I hope, one day, you can experience trucker-dom from the drivers seat only so you can see things the way they really are. In the meantime, I wish you a great day!

And that time stopped is factored into the $ per mile..
It is really simple, don't be a jackwagon and I'll do my best to get you in and out as fast as I humanly can..
Show up with a load all over your trailer, or damaged load , or incorrect paperwork and act like it's my fault. you can sit..
The part you are missing, is I want you in and out fast also.. As I get a rest between the deliveries this way.. instead of looking at a line of rig waiting to pull up to the docks.. But I got work to do, and picking up the load you splattered all over your trailer isn't part of it..
Funny When I ask if they had noticed the box/piece was damaged, and they say yes, and I ask have you already called it in, I get the dear in the headlights.. like What.. Not understanding if they already have called dispatch, it go twice as fast when I have to call it in.. as they already know about it.. I know I'm asking a lot for a driver to call it in as they are waiting on the delivery to be off loaded.. and it be a bother and all..
Yesterday the driver of one load, came in and said , hay I had to turn fast to miss another vehicle and I think I lost a pallet onto the floor.. He got help as he was honest about it, and didn't complain and make the pallet being on the trailer floor my fault.. I understand crap happens.. but it isn't my fault the driver is short one or more pallets because he didn't watch at the last stop . or it shifted and is all over the floor, or damaged, etc..
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, out of the 8+ years of cdl driving. I spent 3 months ona dedicated that Ford kept cancelling loads and causing me to lose money. It paid 42 cpm about ten years ago. Once again stop fixating on assumptions.

Btw a owner op with own authority brings in a gross of 180k. Fuel is about 70 k a year out of that and we haven't covered 600-800 a week truck payments or even insurance yet.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, out of the 8+ years of cdl driving. I spent 3 months ona dedicated that Ford kept cancelling loads and causing me to lose money. It paid 42 cpm about ten years ago. Once again stop fixating on assumptions.

Btw a owner op with own authority brings in a gross of 180k. Fuel is about 70 k a year out of that and we haven't covered 600-800 a week truck payments or even insurance yet.

And owner/op are business owners all those cost are write offs.. nice try..
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Write offs?
In what context?

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Write offs lower tax liability, they do not get you extra money. My point is, owner ops with authority are not bringing 100k home. So if you know a company paying drivers that much, get off the dock and drive for them.

Very few drivers make 100k and most are very specialized.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Write offs lower tax liability, they do not get you extra money. My point is, owner ops with authority are not bringing 100k home. So if you know a company paying drivers that much, get off the dock and drive for them.

Very few drivers make 100k and most are very specialized.

Why would I get off the dock and drive..
I get steady hours.. and make 80k + (before holidays/ot/etc) +bennies like health insurance.. temp disblitiy insurance, 5w vaca 9 sick days 3 personal holiday's)and 29 years in and a pension..
And it's the company I work for that pay that much.. and others also as they come to the dock and leave job openings for the drivers to see when they walk through the human door..

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Write offs lower tax liability, they do not get you extra money.

Outside of tax related issues, they are more aptly called write downs and are simply subtracted from the gross revenue of the owner operator. The cost of doing business.

Within the tax structure, all the writeoff means is the owner operator may not have to pay taxes on that portion of his operation, and that qualified deduction = a small fraction compared to being reimbursed for the full expense involved in repairs, fuel, maintenance etc.

I have known a lot of owner operators here that haul logs. If they have a flat or lose a drive line, or twist an axle, turbo goes out etc-- it's on them.
Same with the independent owner operator hotshot drivers in the oil field. Their client doesn't reimburse them for downtime or repairs--it's all a cost of doing business, and detracts from their gross income.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-23-2017).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why would I get off the dock and drive..
I get steady hours.. and make 80k + (before holidays/ot/etc) +bennies like health insurance.. temp disblitiy insurance, 5w vaca 9 sick days 3 personal holiday's)and 29 years in and a pension..
And it's the company I work for that pay that much.. and others also as they come to the dock and leave job openings for the drivers to see when they walk through the human door..

Must be one hell of a company or you are living in a area of extreme cost of living.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2017 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Must be one hell of a company or you are living in a area of extreme cost of living.

Hell of a company.. we are a slower store and do 1.5 million in sales a WEEK..
Merto Boston.. 2.0 to 2.5 a week and 3+ around the holiday's..

We hump to earn it.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hell of a company.. we are a slower store and do 1.5 million in sales a WEEK..
Merto Boston.. 2.0 to 2.5 a week and 3+ around the holiday's..

We hump to earn it.

Boston is a higher cost of living area, but still sounds like a good employer. It's nice to know a few are around today.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Respectfully... you're missing the point about supply and demand. Wages are low, because there is a huge supply of drivers. Whether they are good or not is not the discussion here... the fact that there are enough eager to enter the work-force in that industry, that it's driven wages down.

A separate aspect of the discussion (the two are NOT related), is the regulation that the Federal government has imposed on the trucking industry. Clearly, the regulation that has been imposed on the industry has not really had any impact on the cost of the driver. Since driver pay has gone down (I'm assuming, since this is what you're telling me), they can afford to hire more drivers for cheaper, to carry more loads, more often, which negates any concerns they may have had by the regulation.

However, if this regulation hadn't gone into place, you... as a trucker, would have been able to go longer distances in less time, make more money, and therefore have more money.

Again, I'm being respectful here... but if I understand correctly, you're upset that trucker pay has gone down (I'm just taking you at your word for this). That is supply and demand.
15 years ago, a Network Security Engineer was a relatively useless thing to have in a company... and anyone that had those skills really weren't worth all that much, if that was their focus. Now... they are in incredible demand, as are research analysts, pen testers, etc. They can almost name their price. Meanwhile... Java programmers are a dime a dozen, and no one cares about them anymore. ... but in the early 2000s... watch out.

With Behavioral Analytics and Machine Learning... those Network Security Engineers are going to be totally worthless... as the technology they were experts on, are now totally obsolete.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Respectfully... you're missing the point about supply and demand. Wages are low, because there is a huge supply of drivers. Whether they are good or not is not the discussion here... the fact that there are enough eager to enter the work-force in that industry, that it's driven wages down.

A separate aspect of the discussion (the two are NOT related), is the regulation that the Federal government has imposed on the trucking industry. Clearly, the regulation that has been imposed on the industry has not really had any impact on the cost of the driver. Since driver pay has gone down (I'm assuming, since this is what you're telling me), they can afford to hire more drivers for cheaper, to carry more loads, more often, which negates any concerns they may have had by the regulation.

However, if this regulation hadn't gone into place, you... as a trucker, would have been able to go longer distances in less time, make more money, and therefore have more money.

Again, I'm being respectful here... but if I understand correctly, you're upset that trucker pay has gone down (I'm just taking you at your word for this). That is supply and demand.
15 years ago, a Network Security Engineer was a relatively useless thing to have in a company... and anyone that had those skills really weren't worth all that much, if that was their focus. Now... they are in incredible demand, as are research analysts, pen testers, etc. They can almost name their price. Meanwhile... Java programmers are a dime a dozen, and no one cares about them anymore. ... but in the early 2000s... watch out.

With Behavioral Analytics and Machine Learning... those Network Security Engineers are going to be totally worthless... as the technology they were experts on, are now totally obsolete.

Pay in trucking has increased, since the last time i drove. It is however still below 1980s levels of income. Trucking companies have slightly raised pay because of the "shortage".

It would be more accurately described as a shortage of qualified drivers.

There is no end of people who jump in the drivers seat to quit the industry 3 months later, after they find its real work.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock