Started on: 04-25-2017 02:55 PM
Replies: 8 (159 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 04-26-2017 08:38 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2017 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seem to have a life-long habbit of collecting licences, only to let them lapse when the usefullness is over.

Anyway, the owner of the place I am working right now was tossing around ideas and one of them was sending me to get a DZ so I can take his trucks on the road. Ive driven D and A trucks, but that was federal jusisdiction so a provincial licence wasnt needed, hence I never bothered getting one.

I can easily see the bonus to having it... But what are the potential downsides? If any.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I can easily see the bonus to having it... But what are the potential downsides? If any.

Lot lizards.

And, lot lizards.

I can see you explaining to the OP one day how you used to fly planes, and that the guy ordering at the drive thru did not ask for a French Vanilla & English Toffee Coffee. "He specifically asked for "it" Officer, and I rang him up accordingly."
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
Lot lizards.

And, lot lizards.

Im not seeing the downside there.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Im not seeing the downside there.

Well now, there ya go! You have a new career.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeh, right. I KNOW EXACTLY what this guy is thinking. He is too cheap to pull his line drivers off the road for maintance runs, so figures he can pull me off the admin work and send me out a lot cheaper.

WHICH, in time and going by past experience, means they want you available 24-7-365 on 3 minute notice.

THAT b.s. Is exactly what put me into contract work in the 1st place.

Nix the career idea. It stays contract.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Downsides? First, it's not cheap. It's great if your boss is paying the initial fee but someone will have to pay to renew it. Second, if you don't have skills, don't bother. You have to take a driving test. It's not difficult but you won't pass it if you haven't practiced. Third, you'll have to take a DOT (or whatever Canada has) physical EVERY year. It's not your standard 10 minute physical so it's a bit more money. Finally, with a CDL, you are held to a higher motoring standard. Get caught with drugs and it won't affect your regular drivers license (assuming the drugs had nothing to do with your driving). Get caught with drugs (even at home) whilst holding a CDL and you could lose it (meaning you won't be able to drive at all).

Basically, if you're not going to use it (and use it seriously), don't bother with it.
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A huge amount of liability. As previously stated. If you get in a wreck in your personal vehicle, you are still held to a higher standard.
phreakboy4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phreakboy4Send a Private Message to phreakboy4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You pay higher fines if you have a cdl even if you are in a personal car. Also in the states, having a cdl automatically cuts you BAC in half to .04 for DUI. Higher renewal fees and basically just another thing to be held over your head. However on the other side of things, it opens up a lot of job opportunities.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2017 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

This gig is only sheduled for 200 hours as of right now, so I think Ill tell him I wont be around long enough to make use of it.

I know from past experience once companies have you on the road, they wont back off until you are pretty much living in the damn vehicle and I aint going there again.

Maybe ill reconsider in 12 weeks if the contract works out and it turns into something else, but for now I am perfectly happy driving a keyboard.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock