Fake food news by 2.5
Started on: 04-21-2017 09:01 AM
Replies: 28 (328 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-25-2017 11:39 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know how they say something is good for you... then it becomes popular to say its bad for you... then its good for you again...

I heard on the radio this morning that "the cholesterol in egg yolks doesn't "stick" to your arteries so its not bad for you to eat a bunch of yolks."

I would guess that we've been around this track before and they probably said that years ago, then the fad changed for a while in order to sell more of something else.

But anyway as usual the truth seems to be a fact that gets twisted into mis information.

-

Real news on it:

"Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, but the effect of egg consumption on blood cholesterol is minimal when compared with the effect of trans fats and saturated fats.

The risk of heart disease may be more closely tied to the foods that accompany the eggs in a traditional American breakfast — such as the sodium in the bacon, sausages and ham, and the saturated fat or oils with trans fats used to fry the eggs and the hash browns.

Most healthy people can eat up to seven eggs a week with no increase in their risk of heart disease. Some studies have shown that this level of egg consumption may actually prevent some types of strokes.

But the story is different for people who have diabetes. In this ever-growing population, eating seven eggs a week significantly increases the risk of heart disease.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, one large egg has about 186 mg milligrams (mg) of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:
•If you are healthy, consume no more than 300 mg of cholesterol a day.
•If you have diabetes, high cholesterol or heart disease, limit the daily cholesterol intake to no more than 200 mg a day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites."
http://www.mayoclinic.org/d...esterol/FAQ-20058468

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-21-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites which we only use to make mayonnaise here at the clinic.[quote]
http://www.mayoclinic.org/d...FAQ-20058468

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-21-2017).]

RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife went on a diet program a couple of months ago called Bright Lines.

Basically you cut out ALL sugar and flour and measure your servings. There's other stuff but it's geared toward women's psyche and has overtones of AA.

The interesting thing is that close to 100% of the people who do this see a significant reduction in cholesterol levels.

Seems there a definite link between high insulin levels and cholesterol.

BTW, she's doing fantastic, 12 pounds in 2 months. ( Although she was just fine before she started In case she stumbles across this. )

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

[QUOTE]If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites which we only use to make mayonnaise here at the clinic.[quote]
http://www.mayoclinic.org/d...FAQ-20058468

With lettuce and Salami on white bread?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-21-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

My wife went on a diet program a couple of months ago called Bright Lines.

Basically you cut out ALL sugar and flour and measure your servings. There's other stuff but it's geared toward women's psyche and has overtones of AA.

The interesting thing is that close to 100% of the people who do this see a significant reduction in cholesterol levels.

Seems there a definite link between high insulin levels and cholesterol.

BTW, she's doing fantastic, 12 pounds in 2 months. ( Although she was just fine before she started In case she stumbles across this. )

I lost 20 lbs since going on a low carb diabetic type regimen in January. I can eat all the lean meat I want, especially beef and fish. Rule of thumb is 'if it's white, you can't have it". Little or no sugar, minimum of milk, no bleached wheat flour, no white rice, no white bread or white potatoes--sweet potatoes are ok--keep all breads to a minimum. But too, one of the side effects of this weekly Bydureon (Exenatide) belly injection I take to help my body utilize insulin is weight loss. I dread every Thursday. It's painful and leaves big whelps/nodes under my skin at the injection site. When the 90 day supply I currently have is done, I'm not taking any more.
I do need to exercise more..have gotten pretty lazy lately, and have put off a ton of projects around here I need to get back on.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I heard on the radio this morning that "the cholesterol in egg yolks doesn't "stick" to your arteries so its not bad for you to eat a bunch of yolks."

I would guess that we've been around this track before and they probably said that years ago, then the fad changed for a while in order to sell more of something else.

It's been known for a long time that dietary cholesterol does not equal plasma cholesterol (i.e the two are not highly correlated).

On the other hand, dietary fat intake is fairly well correlated with triglyceride levels in the blood, and some of those triglycerides are, in turn, metabolized by the liver into cholesterols. (At least that's my limited understanding.)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-21-2017).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pay absolutely no attention to food news as to good or bad. I eat whatever I want in whatever quantities. Ive made it to 70 with very few medical issues. I routinely drink a 6 pack of Pepsi a day...more if its hot out. I can eat a complete frosted cake or pie at a single sitting. I normally eat a whole pizza by myself. Ill have 4 eggs several times a week, along with bacon and toast with tons of butter and jelly. I wont touch anything labeled 'diet'...just because it tastes nasty.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I pay absolutely no attention to food news as to good or bad. I eat whatever I want in whatever quantities. Ive made it to 70 with very few medical issues. I routinely drink a 6 pack of Pepsi a day...more if its hot out. I can eat a complete frosted cake or pie at a single sitting. I normally eat a whole pizza by myself. Ill have 4 eggs several times a week, along with bacon and toast with tons of butter and jelly. I wont touch anything labeled 'diet'...just because it tastes nasty.

You got me wondering where your tipping point on the scale is. That's quite an appetite you have. You'll know you went to far when your digital scales reads "TO BE CONTINUED"!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did as Roger did too...for 65 years. Invisible, bulletproof and able to jump tall buildings etc etc until I went to the ER one day feeling 'not right' and left there only after a quad bypass.

Came to the conclusion not long ago, that we think we'll age slowly, eventually getting there, but that's just an outward appearance..how others see us. Closer to the truth is, you see yourself as comparatively young but wake up one day, and suddenly over the course of a week or a month.......... ..you're old........or dead.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-23-2017).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2017 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EGGS are getting costly, because of animal rights, and all that free range,, stuff.
So, eggs production is down, way down.. So they need a reason for people to "pay" the new normal of egg prices..
Most stores are taking a loss on every dozen eggs, until you get into the "natural", cage free, organic eggs..
They loose money on the medium /large/ ex large /jumbo brown eggs..

They have said eggs good for you and then a few years later claim they are bad for you, then back to good, then only on part of it good for you..
Bla bla bla... They have no real clue..

But say it good for you.. and those that shop that way will spend the money on the higher cost eggs..
One store around here wants to drop all the eggs but the natural/cage free/ organic.. as it isn't worth selling the normal eggs.. .

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 04-23-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

EGGS are getting costly, because of animal rights, and all that free range,, stuff.
So, eggs production is down, way down.. So they need a reason for people to "pay" the new normal of egg prices..
Most stores are taking a loss on every dozen eggs, until you get into the "natural", cage free, organic eggs..
They loose money on the medium /large/ ex large /jumbo brown eggs..

They have said eggs good for you and then a few years later claim they are bad for you, then back to good, then only on part of it good for you..
Bla bla bla... They have no real clue..

But say it good for you.. and those that shop that way will spend the money on the higher cost eggs..
One store around here wants to drop all the eggs but the natural/cage free/ organic.. as it isn't worth selling the normal eggs.. .

Egg price is down, but production is up. High production #s is why price is down.
http://usda.mannlib.cornell...cEggs-04-21-2017.pdf

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2017 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Egg price is down, but production is up. High production #s is why price is down.
http://usda.mannlib.cornell...cEggs-04-21-2017.pdf

not here.. Easter, we could not get enough.. no matter how much we ordered, they didn't come.. if we ordered 15 racks of large brown we got 2..
You can have your link, I'll go by the farms surplying the stores..
And it was not just one store, or company all the food stores had the same issue.. We shopped all the other stores including wallmart . They all were in same boat, no eggs to sell..
only the 4.80+ cage free, natural,organic that most won't pay for.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maryland egg production totaled 70.3 million during January 2017, up 1 percent from last year. Production included 69.0 million table
eggs, and 1.3 million hatching eggs. The total number of layers during January 2017 averaged 2.80 million, up slightly from last year.
January egg production per 100 layers was 2,511 eggs, up 1 percent from January 2016.

New York egg production totaled 146.4 million during January 2017, up 6 percent from last year. The total number of layers during
January 2017 averaged 5.70 million, down 1 percent from last year. January egg production per 100 layers was 2,567 eggs, up
6 percent from January 2016.

Pennsylvania egg production totaled 693.4 million during January 2017, up 2 percent from last year. Production included 657.0 million
table eggs, and 36.4 million hatching eggs. The total number of layers during January 2017 averaged 27.7 million, up 2 percent from
last year. January egg production per 100 layers was 2,502 eggs, up slightly from January 2016.

[Totals may not add due to rounding. Data by type of flock not shown for some States to avoid disclosing individual operations, data included in
United States totals]

https://www.nass.usda.gov/S...0Egg%20Report%20.pdf
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2017 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you say. I guess the farms didn't want to sell them then.. right

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It must really suck to live in the city.

58¢/dozen for jumbo brown eggs here in rural Michigan.....

Maybe you should place your Easter order around Christmas to guarantee your supply.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2017 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whatever you say. I guess the farms didn't want to sell them then.. right

Please stop being completely obtuse. If you do not understand something, keep quiet, learn, and then interject. It is party etiquette 101 dog. I really like you. I do. It is just difficult when you are always at members throats. Basically, calm the **** down a bit, and have some laughter.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

It must really suck to live in the city.

58¢/dozen for jumbo brown eggs here in rural Michigan.....

Maybe you should place your Easter order around Christmas to guarantee your supply.

I don't raise any poultry here, but both my nearest neighbor and my sister keep me supplied with eggs untill the days grow shorter and they all but stop laying.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2017 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Please stop being completely obtuse. If you do not understand something, keep quiet, learn, and then interject. It is party etiquette 101 dog. I really like you. I do. It is just difficult when you are always at members throats. Basically, calm the **** down a bit, and have some laughter.

REALLY> he quotes government number..
yet I work in the food industry.. you know where you go buy your food.. only for 32 years. almost 29 at the same place..
I know that egg prices are up not down.. as I get to see the invoices as the product comes in the dock..
I also know what we order and what we receive .. And we even went to the other stores to see if it was b/s or was all stores having the same issue with lack of product.
But I'm sure I don't know shita..

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2017 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
I also know that even selling the large brown at over 2 bucks a dozen. we loose money..
This is real world.. not I got a buddy or neighbor that will give me eggs..
REAL RETAIL.. no one is buying a dozen large eggs for 58 cents.. in a store..
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did as Roger did too...for 65 years. Invisible, bulletproof and able to jump tall buildings etc etc until I went to the ER one day feeling 'not right' and left there only after a quad bypass.

Came to the conclusion not long ago, that we think we'll age slowly, eventually getting there, but that's just an outward appearance..how others see us. Closer to the truth is, you see yourself as comparatively young but wake up one day, and suddenly over the course of a week or a month.......... ..you're old........or dead.

I hate waking up dead!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My annual physical finds absolutely nothing wrong, physically he says im 45-50 years old. I dont even need glasses and have 95% of my own hair. I only weight around 15 pnds more than I did in high school...and perfect for my height according to him. I ride bikes with a gf usually a few times a week in warm weather, about 20 miles at a time. If I drop dead, its just my time...i die happy.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-23-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also know that even selling the large brown at over 2 bucks a dozen. we loose money..
This is real world.. not I got a buddy or neighbor that will give me eggs..
REAL RETAIL.. no one is buying a dozen large eggs for 58 cents.. in a store..

No one said they were. A doz eggs are $1.97-$2.83 at Walmart, and we bought eggs for Easter. The refrigerated egg case was full.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/...rge-12-Egg/145051970
https://www.walmart.com/ip/...count-24-oz/10324125

If your store can't get eggs it isn't the farmer--they will sell all they have at market price to your distributor(s).
If your distributor says he doesn't have any, then you have a distribution problem, not an egg production problem.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-23-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2017 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No one said they were. A doz eggs are $1.97-$2.83 at Walmart, and we bought eggs for Easter. The refrigerated egg case was full.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/...rge-12-Egg/145051970
https://www.walmart.com/ip/...count-24-oz/10324125

If your store can't get eggs it isn't the farmer--they will sell all they have at market price to your distributor(s).
If your distributor says he doesn't have any, then you have a distribution problem, not an egg production problem.

As seen as we straight from the farms..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, everyone else has eggs and you can't get any...
Here's what it is. The farmers are hoarding the eggs. They have it in for you and the farmers are then going to take a financial hit and just toss the eggs down a hole somewhere just so you won't have any..
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2017 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No prob with eggs here. They went down 50cents a dozen. I can buy as much as can fit in my van if I wanted. Last I bought was about $2, now at $1.49.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A doz eggs are $1.97-$2.83 at Walmart, and we bought eggs for Easter.

Around here, eggs were scarce and expensive for about six months following the bird flu outbreak in Indiana in January 2016 (or maybe summer 2015), but now there is, if anything, an oversupply. A couple of weeks ago I bought two dozen large eggs, on sale, for $.59 a dozen. The "regular" price seems to have stabilized at $.79 to $1.19 a dozen, and they are plentiful. I think most supermarket eggs around here come from large operations in Indiana, Iowa, or Arkansas.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-25-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Avian H5N2 Flu Marvin. That outbreak was bad, but as you stated, the commercial poultry houses have all long recovered from the birds that were lost. Mostly affected the poultry farms in the midwest.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Avian H5N2 Flu Marvin.

Thanks. I figured you'd remember the details. I just remember that eggs were in short supply and priced at $2 to $3 a dozen for a while.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-25-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Thanks. I figured you'd remember the details. I just remember that eggs were in short supply and priced at $2 to $3 a dozen for a while.

The worst of that was in 2015-early 2016, and some of the all-you-can-eat buffets around here stopped offering scrambled eggs---there were a lot of talks of no turkeys for Thanksgiving, but that was not the case, tho they were higher than previous years..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock