Started on: 03-27-2017 02:36 AM
Replies: 8 (136 views)
Last post by: dobey on 03-28-2017 04:11 PM
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't tell much difference between the two but does Opera collect info like Chrome on your purchases and browsing history?

Both are based on Chromium. Opera has a built-in ad blocker and supposedly uses less computer resources than Chrome.

Opera (version 36) can still be used on XP while Chrome updates automatically so can't be used on older systems.

Noticed that Opera also doesn't have the Flash plug-in unless you want it while Chrome has it embedded and it can't be uninstalled.
(can be disabled I think until the next update)

Any other differences? I'm thinking of switching to Opera.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to use opera 10-15 years ago. Chrome kind of left it in the dust eventually. TOR for best security.
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-27-2017 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use opera mini on the tablet and phone.

Ad blocker works good, and its great on saving data over chrome.

Some things, though are awkward with it. If I want to quote a post rather than just reply, I jump over to chrome for that.

Opera also gives the choice to view videos, or download them as soonas you hit play.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I use opera mini on the tablet and phone.

Ad blocker works good, and its great on saving data over chrome.

Some things, though are awkward with it. If I want to quote a post rather than just reply, I jump over to chrome for that.

Opera also gives the choice to view videos, or download them as soonas you hit play.

I use "internet" on my phones and tablet. It is a Samsung app and allows you to copy photos from the internet to your clip board and share them via messaging services without ever actually downloading.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flash...
Most browsers are not installing Flash or soon will be.
You don't want old copies of Flash because Adobe updates the crap every few week to days because of so many "zero day" problems.

If you install... FF and some others block flash even then. Example: Today I get:

Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin Adobe
Flash from running on //www.fiero.nl.
The clock is a Flash item that only display local time and don't care.

Even installed, I tell people is best to always ask before running because many Flash items can have Malware thru Doubleclick and other Ad farms. Doubleclick and others are stop taking new Flash ads for this reason but is still a problem.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is one down side to using Opera:

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wired is another Condé Nast rag that wants to ring out money from the site.
Same problems @ sites run by Gannett owner of USA Today and many "local" news paper sites.

Fewer people read any "news" sites and owners know most are on "borrowed time" that will likely close many sites in next few years.
They have FB etc to feed a site but CN, Gannett and others main goal is to push subscriptions to whatever and/or to make money for ads run on their site.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd thing about that is Chrome with ad blocker is o.k. (or can't be detected).

So they are singling out the 1% that use Opera for a browser.

One difference I see is that the banner ads on PFF don't appear on Opera while they do on Chrome with ad blocker.
Maybe that's just a pop-up ad blocker?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2017 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:
Odd thing about that is Chrome with ad blocker is o.k. (or can't be detected).

So they are singling out the 1% that use Opera for a browser.

One difference I see is that the banner ads on PFF don't appear on Opera while they do on Chrome with ad blocker.
Maybe that's just a pop-up ad blocker?

I doubt it's singling out Opera. It's probably simply small differences in how the blockers are configured. Are you using the same blocker extension in both? Does Opera support installing the extensions from the Chrome store, or does it have its own internal blocker?

You can usually just block the ad-blocker-blocker stuff easily enough too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock