Started on: 03-25-2017 06:46 PM
Replies: 15 (217 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 03-27-2017 11:31 AM
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for suggestions/experiences about who to hire to ship a car long distance.

I'm talking from CA to OH...approximately 2,400 miles +- 100 miles or so.

Looking for the least expensive, but somebody that can be counted on to deliver undamaged goods.

A project car, that at present, does not run, but is mostly "intact" and can be pushed/pulled. Will also have parts that are not on the car. Chances are that everything could be loaded inside the car, but could involve additional box/es or small containers...still working out the "details", and it's not a done deal yet. Just trying to get things lined up if/when it does happen.

I know there are a couple people here who do this sort of hauling, but don't recall seeing any mention of cross country jaunts.

I've done a couple "searches" and needless to say, there are more returns than I could look at in a day's time, but they all want my contact info, which I really don't want to give out too freely. If they'd just give you a quote based on the info you input, I'd have it narrowed down a little, but they all want to "send" you the quotes.

Anybody?

HAGO!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure blackrams does that.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's something I might be into, but I'd need zip codes abs when. Only way it'd be worth it for Ron or I would be loads to CA and from OH.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I'm pretty sure blackrams does that.

Appreciate you remembering. Thanks.

Yes, I do Hot Shot. In fact, I just got done with a seven state tour (if you count KY twice) 1130 miles this weekend.

Just delivered a 69 Chevy to a lustful man in WV, dropped it and headed to N. Carolina to pick and transport a Limo, 12 foot stretch on it. Damn thing hung over on both ends of my trailer. I've transported this one before and brought it back to it's original owner. Don't ask..........

Regardless, I do Hot Shot. That doesn't mean I'm your best option. Just being honest. I expedite and take a lot of "Special" loads. Like the Limo.
If price is your leading factor, definitely use a broker. They'll find you the cheapest price normally. There is also the option of UShip. I don't participate in it for a number of reasons but, it has the potential to get a vehicle shipped cheaply.

Here's the down side, I get about half my "hauls" from people who have used a broker or the UShip site and are still waiting on someone to come pick up their vehicle. Shipping brokers are better liars than even used car salesmen. They promise you the world but, they can't make a Hot Shotter take a load or, accept a price they've quoted. Spoke to a gent last night who had been waiting on his new F450 for two and a half weeks. It still hadn't been picked up. The reason is, no one is headed that way with an open spot and that's how the broker's get the cheaper pricing. I can't compete with that. I don't even try. I'll tell you up front that you can get a cheaper price if, you're willing to wait. Eventually, the car will get picked up.

Many, or I should say most, of the afore mentioned Hot Shotters won't even consider a non-running car. I personally don't care unless I'm told it's a driver and come prepared for that and it ends up being something on three wheels, I have to put it back together just to load it and then pack all the stuff so it gets where ever it's supposed to go.

While I do have an area that I concentrate my efforts within, CA is not somewhere I go often. But, I would not be opposed to a trip out west. Kind of depends on what you have in mind. Does this transport have to go into an enclosed trailer? If so, I'm already out. Sold my enclosed trailer long ago. It simply was not cost effective for what I do. I use an open flat bed gooseneck car hauler. I can and frequently do transport two at a time. Well, the exception being Limos.

Contact me through email or PM if you would like to discuss. I'll give you the best advice I know, all the while fully realizing that you most likely won't use me. Edited: Or, you can check your PM and see where I sent you my phone number. Follow through is up to you.
------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

The next thing you know, they'll be using motorized vehicles to mow down pedestrians. Wait, that's already happening. OK, ban vehicles......

If you wish to upset a Conservative, lie to him.
If you wish to upset a Liberal, tell him the truth.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-25-2017).]

Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

Really do appreciate the speedy, to the point replies!

As I said, not even sure at the this juncture if it's going to happen at all, and IF it does, when it'll be, just "investigating" options at present.

I completely understand NOT wanting to traipse all the way to CA, for one vehicle...that's why I'm looking at options. I have a truck and trailer that would make the trip and haul the load, but I did the math on what it would cost if I did it myself....is why I'm investigating paying somebody to do it....I've got too many other "obligations" and I ain't no spring chicken! Maps say it can be done in less than a week without pushing anything too hard, but I don't think I'd survive the 24 hours straight driving I used to do in stride. these days.

The car in question ran "when it was parked", the owner suspects the injectors. He says he replaced the cold start injector and it will start, but die out immediately, which leads him to believe it might the injectors. I'm just treating it as a non-running car so there are no surprises like Ron mentions.

Ron, I appreciate the contact info, and I may give you a call if things develop beyond this "pre" happening stage. Right now, I'm waiting on a friend that lives about an hour away from the car to get back from his anniversary celebration in Vegas. He has volunteered to go inspect the car on my behalf, which will help me to make up my mind on where to cap my offer.

ls3mach and anybody interested...the zip codes for both locations are: 91344 in CA and 45750 in OH. Nothing going that way from OH, that I know of. Might line something up from another source that would avoid the dry run half of the trip.

I looked at UShip, and wondered about just what you mention Ron. The timing, as well as the cost, and the experience of the haulers as well.

This car does not need an enclosed trailer, but if somebody had an open spot in one, it would certainly fill the bill to haul this car. I just wouldn't specifically request an enclosed space, due to the usually increased cost.

From your advice, I'm also guessing a broker is probably the best way to go, outside of a private individual that I knew personally.

Again, thanks everybody for taking the time to shed more light on the subject, I appreciate it very much! Open to any and all suggestions, one of the things that's STILL good about this forum, and as many complaints as there seem to be, there are still quite a few "positives" here.

Ron...if things develop further in the future, don't be surprised to get a call from me. It'll be a 740 area code if/when I call.

Thanks all!

HAGO!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Avoid Reindeer Auto Relocation. Company used them to ship my Fiero from California to Michigan (95134 to 48187) and their lowest bidder showed up with a trailer with bad hydraulics, scraped the bottom of the car on the trailer, AND one of the hooks grabbed a transmission cooler line and yanked it off the car, immediately spilling a quart of fluid on the trailer and road. If I hadn't been there watching, I'm sure the car would have been delivered with a fried automatic transmission. I re-routed the hose into the transmission bypassing the cooler so it could still drive under its own power.

Oh, and they showed up to the original delivery location a week after I told them to drop it off at 49690, they forgot to tell the second driver. Leading to a third driver. Incompetence abounds.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure it's an option, I didn't dig into the zip code locations, but if train tracks are near both locations, it's a very overlooked and cheap option. Also the least concern for damage occuring mid-transit. Worst case scenario, two tows, to and fro (chuckle) the railroad. I caught the idea from a small family who moved from coast to coast and simply took it all via rail. Much cheaper than any other option.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever happened to our resident car-hauler? Pretty lady with a big white truck and a big flat-bed trailer, irrc. That was years ago, mind you.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

What ever happened to our resident car-hauler? Pretty lady with a big white truck and a big flat-bed trailer, irrc. That was years ago, mind you.

You talking about bmwguru's better half? anonymity - Joey
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-074893.html

I don't remember seeing her post in quite a while
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all for the pertinent info.

RWDPLZ..I'll definitely avoid Santa's helpers! Thanks for the tip. Man, that's a hauler horror story if I ever heard one.

viperine..Never thought of that, but sounds like it's at least worth investigating further. After all, the RR is one of the things that helped make this country what it is.

Stubby79 & Jake...Haven't talked to her or Dave in a while, not sure if Joey's still haulin' or not. Last I knew (within the last year or so) she was, but mostly up and down the east coast. I had actually planned to try calling her/them if things progress with the car where I have to actually hire somebody. She has moved vehicles for me before, but as I said, mostly "close to home". Not sure if she ever went coast to coast, but it sure wouldn't surprise me. She picked up a Co-Part truck in PA for my son and brought it to PBurg WV, for a reasonable amount. Also came to my shop to pick up the "remnants" of a Fiero that Dave was going to use to mock up exhaust for swaps, but seems like he's laid off working on Fiero's, other than his own, these days. Just an observation.

Thanks again to all for the info. Still waiting to see what develops with the car. I know I'd really like to pull the trigger on it, but depends on more than a few "variables", which are still unfolding.

HAGO!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blackrams came to mind first. She came a close second.

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

You talking about bmwguru's better half? anonymity - Joey
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-074893.html

I don't remember seeing her post in quite a while

I'm in contact with bmwguru on FB if you want me to ask if she still transports.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Thanks guys.

Really do appreciate the speedy, to the point replies!

As I said, not even sure at the this juncture if it's going to happen at all, and IF it does, when it'll be, just "investigating" options at present.

I completely understand NOT wanting to traipse all the way to CA, for one vehicle...that's why I'm looking at options. I have a truck and trailer that would make the trip and haul the load, but I did the math on what it would cost if I did it myself....is why I'm investigating paying somebody to do it....I've got too many other "obligations" and I ain't no spring chicken! Maps say it can be done in less than a week without pushing anything too hard, but I don't think I'd survive the 24 hours straight driving I used to do in stride. these days.

The car in question ran "when it was parked", the owner suspects the injectors. He says he replaced the cold start injector and it will start, but die out immediately, which leads him to believe it might the injectors. I'm just treating it as a non-running car so there are no surprises like Ron mentions.

Ron, I appreciate the contact info, and I may give you a call if things develop beyond this "pre" happening stage. Right now, I'm waiting on a friend that lives about an hour away from the car to get back from his anniversary celebration in Vegas. He has volunteered to go inspect the car on my behalf, which will help me to make up my mind on where to cap my offer.

ls3mach and anybody interested...the zip codes for both locations are: 91344 in CA and 45750 in OH. Nothing going that way from OH, that I know of. Might line something up from another source that would avoid the dry run half of the trip.

I looked at UShip, and wondered about just what you mention Ron. The timing, as well as the cost, and the experience of the haulers as well.

This car does not need an enclosed trailer, but if somebody had an open spot in one, it would certainly fill the bill to haul this car. I just wouldn't specifically request an enclosed space, due to the usually increased cost.

From your advice, I'm also guessing a broker is probably the best way to go, outside of a private individual that I knew personally.

Again, thanks everybody for taking the time to shed more light on the subject, I appreciate it very much! Open to any and all suggestions, one of the things that's STILL good about this forum, and as many complaints as there seem to be, there are still quite a few "positives" here.

Ron...if things develop further in the future, don't be surprised to get a call from me. It'll be a 740 area code if/when I call.

Thanks all!

HAGO!

70 hours for me round trip. I'd for sure need to know dates and such. Do you take issue with using a tow dolly? Though this might be a decent way to justify a load of those ties for me and my dolly would be worthless for that.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

70 hours for me round trip. I'd for sure need to know dates and such. Do you take issue with using a tow dolly? Though this might be a decent way to justify a load of those ties for me and my dolly would be worthless for that.

If you brought enough ratchet straps, you might get 4 or 5 home (on the dolly). I did say might.

Just think, two hundred trips and you could own all of them.
------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

The next thing you know, they'll be using motorized vehicles to mow down pedestrians. Wait, that's already happening. OK, ban vehicles......

If you wish to upset a Conservative, lie to him.
If you wish to upset a Liberal, tell him the truth.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-26-2017).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

If you brought enough ratchet straps, you might get 4 or 5 home (on the dolly). I did say might.

Just think, two hundred trips and you could own all of them.

I could get some in the bed too.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of what an ex told me when I insisted on hauling all the groceries up the stairs in one trip.
"tis a lazy man that will only make one trip"

(Next trip I made down the stairs was my last one)
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:
Looking for suggestions/experiences about who to hire to ship a car long distance.

Originally posted by ls3mach:
Only way it'd be worth it for Ron or I would be loads to CA and from OH.

Ah, a front load.

Sage, I have an old girlfriend who is a ?dispatcher? for trucking companies. She hooks customers up with drivers, negotiating with both. They both make her money, so she wheels and deals on prices, schedules, heck, more than I can imagine.
She used to do it employed but struck out on her own. Ten years and she is still working for herself.

I called her, she was out of the office. Her help said that they do indeed ship from the Port of Houston to CA, but that car hauling is really not their gig.

Eh ... to make a long story short, call some shipping contractors. Many beg for back loads and give good prices for one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock