Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Well it ain't got a thang, if it ain't got that twang!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Well it ain't got a thang, if it ain't got that twang! by williegoat
Started on: 03-25-2017 04:51 PM
Replies: 16 (257 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 03-27-2017 01:52 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my goals in retirement is to really suck at as many musical instruments as possible.

Any banjo players out there? I would love any advice.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2017 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got you beat on that fiddle.

There aint NOBODY on this planet who can make one sound like 2 screeching cats stuck in a fence the way I can.

Hell, I can get paid to NOT play one!!!!
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

One of my goals in retirement is to really suck at as many musical instruments as possible.

Question, are you taking lessons or learning to kill cats all on your own?
Two of my favorite instruments I enjoy listening to when played by someone who knows how.
If, I'm reading your post correctly, I should most likely not plan on listening very long................

But, if you'll record and post your play, I'd give it a shot.
------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

The next thing you know, they'll be using motorized vehicles to mow down pedestrians. Wait, that's already happening. OK, ban vehicles......

If you wish to upset a Conservative, lie to him.
If you wish to upset a Liberal, tell him the truth.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-25-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up the banjo today, but here is a brief clip of something I am working on: http://freemp3hosting.com/5LV
That is me on fiddle, acoustic guitar and electric base.

I am not taking lessons, I am learning on my own. I have had the fiddle since last June.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-25-2017).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just picked up the banjo today, but here is a brief clip of something I am working on: http://freemp3hosting.com/5LV

I am not taking lessons, I am learning on my own. I have had the fiddle since last June.

Take it away Leon!! Oh wait--wrong guitar..

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-25-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like to hear nontraditional things done with traditional instruments. Here is a brief clip of something I am working on with fiddle, electric guitar, steel guitar and bass: http://freemp3hosting.com/5LW
The drums are synthesized, everything else is me. It is my composition.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19450 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by maryjane:

Take it away Leon!!

I am still working on Leon's part.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Much better than I could do. I liked it...
I was never into instrumental music until I heard myself sing. That was when I started pointing out good fiddle players.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …

The next thing you know, they'll be using motorized vehicles to mow down pedestrians. Wait, that's already happening. OK, ban vehicles......

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Take it away Leon!!

I am still working on Leon's part.

Leon Rhodes plays intro on this one, a 1961 reprise of a 1944 hit for Tubb: Drivin' Nails in my Coffin

Leon replaced Billy Byrd in 1959 so for the ten previous years it was ''Aw, Billy Byrd now'' or ''Take it away, Billy Byrd.''

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-25-2017).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Leon Rhodes plays intro on this one, a 1961 reprise of a 1944 hit for Tubb: Drivin' Nails in my Coffin

Leon replaced Billy Byrd in 1959 so for the ten previous years it was ''Aw, Billy Byrd now'' or ''Take it away, Billy Byrd.''

The 'Leons' I referred to was Leon McAuliffe and Leon Rousch. Both played with Bob Wills (made San Antonio Rose famous).
Bob would say "Take it away Leon" or "Come in here Leon" and many think he was referring to Leon Rousch, who did vocals, bass and lead guitar, but most of the time, he was talking to one of the earlier members, Leon McAuliffe who played steel guitar as well as vocals.

Speaking of drums Willie.....
Bob Wills was invited for the first time to play at the Grand Ol Opry in 1945, and the Opry had never had an act with drums; country music at that time didn't have a beat other than what might be played on a washboard or some other very basic instrument.
When Wills and the band were setting up, the Opry first said no to the drums, then when Bob threatened to pull out, the Opry relented--sorta.. the drums had to stay hidden behind the curtain, and Bob agreed to the deal... That is, until time to play, when he hollered, 'Move those things out on stage!' In that moment, Bob Wills had left a permanent mark: there would forever be a beat in country music. (He and the Texas Playboys, by the way, were not invited back.)

My favorite fiddle music is Faded Love, a tune made up by Bob Wills' father John Wills. It was played only as an instrumental for years before Bob Wills and his brother Billy added the lyrics to the music in 1950.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 'Leons' I referred to was Leon McAuliffe and Leon Rousch. Both played with Bob Wills (made San Antonio Rose famous).
Bob would say "Take it away Leon" or "Come in here Leon" and many think he was referring to Leon Rousch, who did vocals, bass and lead guitar, but most of the time, he was talking to one of the earlier members, Leon McAuliffe who played steel guitar as well as vocals.

Speaking of drums Willie.....
Bob Wills was invited for the first time to play at the Grand Ol Opry in 1945, and the Opry had never had an act with drums; country music at that time didn't have a beat other than what might be played on a washboard or some other very basic instrument.
When Wills and the band were setting up, the Opry first said no to the drums, then when Bob threatened to pull out, the Opry relented--sorta.. the drums had to stay hidden behind the curtain, and Bob agreed to the deal... That is, until time to play, when he hollered, 'Move those things out on stage!' In that moment, Bob Wills had left a permanent mark: there would forever be a beat in country music. (He and the Texas Playboys, by the way, were not invited back.)

Thanks, I never heard that story before.

My favorite fiddle music is Faded Love, a tune made up by Bob Wills' father John Wills. It was played only as an instrumental for years before Bob Wills and his brother Billy added the lyrics to the music in 1950.

I have heard a very similar story regarding "San Antonio Rose"

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-26-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
San Antonio Rose came from needing something to go with Spanish Two Step.

The Playboys would record hundreds of songs over the many years, but two songs would be associated with the band in all its incarnations. They would become standards in the world of popular music.

'Spanish Two-Step' was a simple melody that Bob had made up in the early '30s. He'd written the fun little instrumental piece for the primarily Mexican audiences of Roy, New Mexico, where he'd lived and played for a while. He recorded it in 1935, but it was a Dallas recording session in 1938 that brought out a new burst of creativity. 'After we had cut several tunes, Uncle Art Satherley, who was the A&R man on this session asked me if I had another tune like 'Spanish Two-Step,'' Bob recalled some years later. 'I said, 'No, I don't, but if you give me a few minutes, maybe I can come up with something.' In a few minutes, I had written and recorded the tune. Uncle Art asked me what I wanted to name the tune. I told him I didn't know. So he said, 'Let's name it 'San Antonio Rose.'' The instrumental sold very well, and later, Columbia would ask Bob to record it again with lyrics.

It was 1940 before 'New San Antonio Rose' came out, with lyrics as poetic as the melody itself ('Moon in all your splendor, know only my heart/Call back my rose, rose of San Antone/Lips so sweet and tender, like petals fallen apart/Speak once again of my love, my own.'). Bob's hypnotic hollers of 'San Antone!' could be heard in all the versions that he would eventually record, each time with a different Playboy vocalist. It would literally be heard all over the world by 1969, as the Apollo 12 astronauts sang it, looking back at the earth from a lunar orbit.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been playing the violin for a couple of decades... was in a youth orchestra also. Bass guitar... I can play "OK," I mean... I know how to slap it and play a bass beat / tune, but not a "riff" if you will.

Banjo? I learned only enough to play the first few parts of Dueling Banjos... and that's all I got!

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought you might enjoy this, I did.

An amazing bluegrass cover of "Rocket Man".

https://www.youtube.com/wat...YuY&feature=youtu.be

Or this: Enter Sandman // Iron Horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c7bISLhVl8

------------------
Ron

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ very nice! ^^

Bela Fleck and Victor Wooten are two of my favorite musicians. They are unique and innovative and as such, are not for everybody's taste.

Banjo, Tabla and Bass....how's that for eclectic?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-26-2017).]

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I've got you beat on that fiddle.

There aint NOBODY on this planet who can make one sound like 2 screeching cats stuck in a fence the way I can.

Hell, I can get paid to NOT play one!!!!

Nice trio you have there

I don't play banjo at all but have considered buying one of the six strings banjos. I can rip on a 6 string guitar and rif blues on a piano pretty dam well. I have two dozen plus guitars a few bass and two grand pianos, a smattering of other instruments I thought I would make time to learn but have not
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Nice trio you have there

I don't play banjo at all but have considered buying one of the six strings banjos. I can rip on a 6 string guitar and rif blues on a piano pretty dam well. I have two dozen plus guitars a few bass and two grand pianos, a smattering of other instruments I thought I would make time to learn but have not

I guess a six string banjo is tuned just like a guitar. On my 5 string, strings #2, 3 and 4 are just like a guitar but #1 is D and #5 (the short one) is a high G. It takes some getting used to.

I am working on what they call "Banjo Rolls". It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but not imposable.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-27-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock