Started on: 03-21-2017 11:57 PM
Replies: 21 (465 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-22-2017 01:37 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Win10 VM running on VirtualBox on a Debian host. (Win10 Home ver. 1511 build 10586.839)

The only things I have installed are Quicken, TurboTax and PIP.

For quite a while, it has been trying to update to ver. 1607 (anniversary update?) with no luck. I have tried every trick in the book and read everything I can find and it still fails. I have even tried the "in place upgrade" from the ISO downloaded from Microsoft two different ways, from within Win and using Linux. I have verified the ISO with md5 and verified the disk after burning. I have tried it from the disk and from the ISO mounted locally and on a network drive.

Luckily, with a VM I regularly back up the machine because I have ended up with a completely hosed installation twice.

I have tried wiping out all the update files, killing everything that normally starts (clean boot), I have run all the built in troubleshooters and run sfc /scannow and found no problems.

error codes I have seen after failed upgrade include: 0x80240fff and 0xC1900101-0x2000C, but searches for these have proven to provide more tricks that do not help.

This seems to be a common problem. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Also, if I do a fresh install from the downloaded 1607 .iso can I test it without messing up my license for my original disk? How is licensing handled? Will my current installation still be licensed? Do I use the same product key for the new install? I am not going to pay twice because Bill Gates hires complete incompetents.

Did I mention that I HATE Windows?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2017 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it a legal copy. and has someone else reg that copy #..

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2017 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can install the ISO as many times as you want in new VMs if you want. Registration is still done after installing and has to be done in some number of days or Windows will just refuse to work or something like that, no?
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are you even bothering updating? I only mess with service packs.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Win10 Home does not ask my permission. It just keeps trying and failing until everything is completely screwed. Just like our government.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Win10 Home does not ask my permission. It just keeps trying and failing until everything is completely screwed. Just like our government.

I don't use the Home version and only have it installed on a VM on my Win7 machine at work. Not for me honestly. If Quickbooks wasn't the POS I'd likely run something with KDE.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't use the Home version and only have it installed on a VM on my Win7 machine at work. Not for me honestly. If Quickbooks wasn't the POS I'd likely run something with KDE.

Pro will at least allow you to defer updates for a little while, but not forever.

Yeah, Quicken is the only reason i run Windoze at all. I use it to do online banking.
I was using XP until last summer, when my bank required that I upgrade Quicken to the latest version and Quicken 2016 would not run on XP. It is a vicious circle.
XP and 2000 were the only decent, stable versions ever made.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by dobey:

You can install the ISO as many times as you want in new VMs if you want. Registration is still done after installing and has to be done in some number of days or Windows will just refuse to work or something like that, no?

If I can get 1607 installed and reliable, how do I transfer my license from 1511?
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pro will at least allow you to defer updates for a little while, but not forever.

Yeah, Quicken is the only reason i run Windoze at all. I use it to do online banking.
I was using XP until last summer, when my bank required that I upgrade Quicken to the latest version and Quicken 2016 would not run on XP. It is a vicious circle.
XP and 2000 were the only decent, stable versions ever made.

3.11, XP, NT, 7. I'm out on all others.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you plan on a reinstall with WIN8 and above you'll need the registration key. It's hidden in the computer. Install Belark advisor and it will tell you what your key is. If you have the original disk you won't need to do that, however if you install from an iso image it will change the key and not activate.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2017 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If I can get 1607 installed and reliable, how do I transfer my license from 1511?

I was just suggesting you can maybe test if you can install it without worrying about the license. If you can and it's a VM, you might just be able to use the same key, because technically the hardware is unchanged. I don't really know how that will play out. I haven't used Windows in a very long time.

But you said you wanted to test if you can install it in another VM, which you should at least be able to do as a starting point.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

If you plan on a reinstall with WIN8 and above you'll need the registration key. It's hidden in the computer. Install Belark advisor and it will tell you what your key is. If you have the original disk you won't need to do that, however if you install from an iso image it will change the key and not activate.

I have my original Win10 ver. 1511 disk and the key. The problem is that it keeps trying and failing to self upgrade to ver. 1607. I downloaded the ISO(1607) from Microsoft with the intention of doing an "in place" upgrade, which also failed.

Right now, the machine is downloading "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607" for the 2,147,863rd time.
later, it will waste a few hours installing, failing then (hopefully) restoring the previous version, AGAIN.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-23-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009

And now back to:

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My question still. Why the "upgrade"?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My question still. Why the "upgrade"?

Can you tell me how to prevent it?

--------

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-22-2017).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OH. I completely missed that part. I read it, just didn't click. Let me get to a terminal tonight and I will check it out. That is mad gay.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

That is mad gay.

That's the MS way.

My way:

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-23-2017).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2017 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oddly enough, my machine is no longer offering that particularly troublesome update. I wonder if Microsoft, in it's infinite wisdom has quietly dropped it, realizing that it is not working. Hopefully, they can fix it and offer it at a later date.

In the meantime, I also found a tool to allow me to prevent updates: wushowhide.diagcab

https://support.microsoft.c...alling-in-windows-10
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oddly enough, my machine is no longer offering that particularly troublesome update. I wonder if Microsoft, in it's infinite wisdom has quietly dropped it, realizing that it is not working. Hopefully, they can fix it and offer it at a later date.

In the meantime, I also found a tool to allow me to prevent updates: wushowhide.diagcab

https://support.microsoft.c...alling-in-windows-10

Found that also and was going to post it, hadn't been at an actual terminal in a few days though.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Suddenly, without warning or explanation, after nine months (the gestation period of some vile demon?), like gremlins that work in the still of the dark, foreboding night, my machine successfully upgraded itself. I guess Microbrain found the problem. I don't know whether to be happy or scared.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2017 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like windows. I enjoy taking old worthless windows and replacing them with new energy efficient windows.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive always heard Win Vista and 10 were junk to start with. I like Win 7 myself, only partly ok with Win 8. To be completely clear, I prefered XP over anything.

Computers are just like cell phones, they constantly 'improve' them only to screw it up. A cell phone should only be able to make and recieve phone calls. Now people commit suicide when they lose or break one because they run their whole life on their phone.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-22-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock