Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Here are 24 Senators that introduced a bill to let telecoms sell your private info

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Here are 24 Senators that introduced a bill to let telecoms sell your private info by Threedog
Started on: 03-11-2017 02:55 PM
Replies: 8 (172 views)
Last post by: randye on 03-11-2017 09:38 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Link

Specifically, the FCC had been able to prevent internet service providers (ISPs) from spying on your internet history, and selling what they gathered, without express permission. This legal protection on your internet history is currently under attack thanks to these 24 Senators and lots of ISP lobbying spend.

The list of 24 Senators cosponsoring this bill, including Senator Jeff Flake, is:

– John Barrasso (R-Wyo.)
– Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.)
– Roy Blunt (R-Mo.)
– John Boozman (R-Ark.)
– Shelly Moore Capito (R-W.Va.)
– Thad Cochran (R-Miss.)
– John Cornyn (R-Texas)
– Tom Cotton (R-Ark.)
– Ted Cruz (R-Texas)
– Deb Fischer (R-Neb.)
– Orrin Hatch (R-Utah)
– Dean Heller (R-Nev.)
– James Inhofe (R-Okla.)
– Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.)
– Mike Lee (R-Utah)
– Rand Paul (R-Ky.)
– Pat Roberts (R-Kan.)
– Marco Rubio (R-Fla.)
– Richard Shelby (R-Ala.)
– Dan Sullivan (R-Ark.)
– John Thune (R-S.D.)
– Roger Wicker (R-Miss.)
– Jerry Moran (R-Kan.)
One more step to invading our privacy!

[This message has been edited by Threedog (edited 03-11-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2017 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strange, but when I view an article here on Pennocks, I often get advertisements on my Amazon for such things. Monkeyman's air compressor thread that I responded in, linked to DeWalt compressors. Or when I spoke of tires the other day in General. Same situation. It bothers me, but I understand that I am not the one to solve this issue, and just have to carry on with life.

Now, I could not imagine that Senators of the same party voting similarly.

Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Strange, but when I view an article here on Pennocks, I often get advertisements on my Amazon for such things. Monkeyman's air compressor thread that I responded in, linked to DeWalt compressors. Or when I spoke of tires the other day in General. Same situation. It bothers me, but I understand that I am not the one to solve this issue, and just have to carry on with life.

Now, I could not imagine that Senators of the same party voting similarly.

Its not going to make THAT much of a difference, considering that companies can already view your cookies from browsing, but this prevents people from being able to circumvent it. Example: You should always look at airline tickets in incognito mode, so the airlines cant adjust the price based on how many times you have looked at them. If this law goes into effect, ISPs will be able to track the information regardless.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2017 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like I said, I know very little about the regulations involved here. Honestly, without being abrasive, I just do not have the storage space negated to things of this nature.

Have a great day Threedog.
gtjoe

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjoeSend a Private Message to gtjoeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a misleading article. all this bill does is disprove of a new rule enacted by the fcc in the last month or so. At worst the bill aims to keep the status quo. here is a link to the bill and a link to the fcc rule read them yourself and make up your own mind. While I agree with the premise of the rule Im not convinced its not just a continuation of the power grab that has been going on for a while now where the fcc desires to regulate as many things as they can about the internet.
https://www.congress.gov/bi...t-resolution/34/text
https://www.federalregister...munications-services
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtjoe:

This is a misleading article. all this bill does is disprove of a new rule enacted by the fcc in the last month or so. At worst the bill aims to keep the status quo. here is a link to the bill and a link to the fcc rule read them yourself and make up your own mind. While I agree with the premise of the rule Im not convinced its not just a continuation of the power grab that has been going on for a while now where the fcc desires to regulate as many things as they can about the internet.

Kind of puts a whole different spin on the situation, huh?

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

You can't do much about the length of your life, so focus on the width and depth. When Life throws you a curve, lean into it and roll that throttle!!

If, you wish to piss off a Conservative, lie to him.
If, you wish to piss off a Liberal, tell them the truth.

Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or maybe it is a bias against anyone with an "R" next the the name?
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Companies have been selling private information forever. I remember when you could buy lists of 20,000 names, addresses, phone numbers, etc for the sales call companies before the Do Not Call list era. I don't like it much either but it's not new.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The key to understanding what is really behind the smoke screen of that "article" is two simple words in the 2nd sentence: net neutrality

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock