Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  A couple of us have published where we live so, my turn.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A couple of us have published where we live so, my turn. by FriendGregory
Started on: 02-11-2017 01:02 AM
Replies: 24 (405 views)
Last post by: FriendGregory on 08-25-2017 08:50 PM
FriendGregory

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2017 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prepping to move to a new home. Fun times a coming the floors need sanding and the wife says for me to remodel both bathrooms and the kitchen, and put in dual pane windows.
The first thing is to start moving my plants.
The one to sell:
http://www.zillow.com/homed...94303/19498815_zpid/

The New Home
http://www.zillow.com/homes...-San-Jose-95118-_rb/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2017 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
um.. poor baby..

Good luck
now looking at the price of both homes.. are YOU sanding /remodeling.. or you just writing the checks..
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2017 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with it Friend Gregory.
Am I correct in understanding that you will gain an extra bedroom with the new home but it has fewer total sq ft than the old home?
Difference is in the garages?

Your old home sure has some very nice landscaping done to it.

I hate moving, but will in all liklihood be doing it myself in the next year or 2. I want to return to West Texas (or at least a lot closer to it).
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2017 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After all the work and tree-hunting you put into the place youve got ?

You must enjoy pain.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2017 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
um.. poor baby..

Good luck
now looking at the price of both homes.. are YOU sanding /remodeling.. or you just writing the checks..

My butt will be wearing a respirator, ear protection, and start off with a rented drum sander. I have money at all because I do so much myself. My first house I remodeled the kitchen and bath. It was fun using a chain saw to isolate the sink arear while I prepped the area around it with a new window, insulation, and wiring. I will be briefly owning over a total of 2.5 million while I prep the new place, move, and prep the old place to sell. I have a few rental properties that each have a loan.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2017 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by maryjane:

Good luck with it Friend Gregory.
Am I correct in understanding that you will gain an extra bedroom with the new home but it has fewer total sq ft than the old home?
Difference is in the garages?

Your old home sure has some very nice landscaping done to it.

I hate moving, but will in all liklihood be doing it myself in the next year or 2. I want to return to West Texas (or at least a lot closer to it).

Thanks, and you are correct, more bedrooms(each are smaller) and less total living space. Thinking to use one bedroom as a closet / place to put my hang upside machine. The current place has some wasted space with a pass through fireplace right in the middle of what would have been a great room. The landscaping, will move most of the plants to San Jose because they will not fruit in Palo Alto but, will fruit in San Jose. Your hatred of trees may kick in once I get all my trees in the ground. Well, unless you like to eat fruit. the lot is bigger by 1000sqft so, the planting space is most likely better. The driveway for one garage is very short and would fit a mini cooper, it will be used for rental property supplies and longer term storage. My wife should be able to park in the garage and I keep the automotive tools there.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2017 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

After all the work and tree-hunting you put into the place youve got ?

You must enjoy pain.

Yes, yes I do for sure, married for 21 years.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2017 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

My butt will be wearing a respirator, ear protection, and start off with a rented drum sander. I have money at all because I do so much myself. My first house I remodeled the kitchen and bath. It was fun using a chain saw to isolate the sink arear while I prepped the area around it with a new window, insulation, and wiring. I will be briefly owning over a total of 2.5 million while I prep the new place, move, and prep the old place to sell. I have a few rental properties that each have a loan.

I kinda doubt that the new house needs any of this remodel, it's just a want.. I am amazed at what people will spend to take a working kitchen or bathroom and make it into a working bathroom or kitchen..
put to each their own..
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2017 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to be a dick, I'd hard pass on both. Can't believe people drop that kind of coin to live in California. My house and lot is bigger than both of those combined almost. $169k. Hell, those are the size of my bedroom and living room.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2017 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this a final home purchase? Early retirement?

I am not sure that I have seen any of your work, but I know that you do your own.

I do not find a move overwhelming. It is beginning the process of making it yours that racks my cranium.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2017 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Not to be a dick, I'd hard pass on both. Can't believe people drop that kind of coin to live in California. My house and lot is bigger than both of those combined almost. $169k. Hell, those are the size of my bedroom and living room.

800k + reno
I'd be in Hawaii first...
PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Definitely do not think that you are being a dick, in every action there is reason. When people do stuff, I ask what is the push or pull? The push from Palo Alto is that there is too much money sitting in one place. The pull is that there is high paying jobs, family, my other properties in the area. I almost moved to Sacramento CA area when moving from my parents house but, in the long run the people that bought in the 90s would be doing well to have double their original property values, and in San Jose, I am at almost 4X. My Dad had suggested that San Jose was a better choice because I would always be able to afford Sacramento coming from San Jose but, not the other way.
When my Mom passes and if my wife say she does not care, I would like to try Appalachia Tn. I think I would fit in....
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by Tony Kania:Is this a final home purchase? Early retirement?

I am not sure that I have seen any of your work, but I know that you do your own.

I do not find a move overwhelming. It is beginning the process of making it yours that racks my cranium.

My wife has taken away my turn to do the bathrooms and all the painting. She says I am too tired already. We have put the kitchen on hold for now.
She had the contractor replace the wood floor with termites in the dining room, living room, and a hallway near the bathroom where a leak rotted some subfloor and showed on top. I got to sand and refinish the other hallway and the one bedroom that will not get carpet. The guy did a good job, did not like that he put the soap / shampoo holder on the shower head side but, otherwise good.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
I kinda doubt that the new house needs any of this remodel, it's just a want.. I am amazed at what people will spend to take a working kitchen or bathroom and make it into a working bathroom or kitchen..
put to each their own..

You are so right. A hundred dollars of grout, sealer, and miscellaneous and it would have been fine. There is a woman involved in this....so..!
Her Dad came by right after it was ours and as she was explaining all her plans, he finally had enough and started yelling at her, "What, do you have too much money or something? There is nothing wrong with it as it is." After I got the Cantonese to English translation I busted up laughing. I agreed!
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

I would like to try Appalachia Tn. I think I would fit in....

Well come on over. We have space for a few more good folk. Now when you say Appalachia do you mean in the mountains proper? Because up in them thar hollers it's a wee bit poor and very rural. Like no running water rural. Now all around the actual mountains are the foothills where you could purchase a great deal of land for what you can buy a single home for in California. I'm in Knoxville and it's in the Tennessee Valley proper about 3 miles from the Tennessee river. I can see the mountains and visit when I want but my neighborhood is more like yours now but much cheaper. Much much cheaper. Like 2 acres and a swimming pool for $200k ish. I purchased 20 years ago for $115k. Come on over.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Biggest reason I left Silicon Valley, could never afford a house in the area, and just commuting from San Jose to Palo Alto took 35 minutes minimum.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:
Well come on over. We have space for a few more good folk. Now when you say Appalachia do you mean in the mountains proper? Because up in them thar hollers it's a wee bit poor and very rural. Like no running water rural. Now all around the actual mountains are the foothills where you could purchase a great deal of land for what you can buy a single home for in California. I'm in Knoxville and it's in the Tennessee Valley proper about 3 miles from the Tennessee river. I can see the mountains and visit when I want but my neighborhood is more like yours now but much cheaper. Much much cheaper. Like 2 acres and a swimming pool for $200k ish. I purchased 20 years ago for $115k. Come on over.

As of today, I would have to cut ties to be able to move but, the hills are in my visiting dreams. I watch and read a lot about the rural area and understand that the minimum wage means no job at all when people would like to have a helper and someone would love to work for even a low wage.

Good paying job drive the housing prices here in my part of CA, if you have some skills and are willing to compromise, even the jobs market is hot here. My boss was going to hire an assembler for $60K, then we slowed down. We now get the production floor people to assist us when we get busy.

When I travel alone, I find people will let you buy them a meal, I ask them to trade for a story, their story. I have a great time.

[This message has been edited by FriendGregory (edited 03-22-2017).]

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Biggest reason I left Silicon Valley, could never afford a house in the area, and just commuting from San Jose to Palo Alto took 35 minutes minimum.

For a no traffic 10 to 12 minute drive. You were driving the wrong direction. New house location means that I will joining the commute folks. - 1992 and again 2009 - 2010 are the last times that I considered the valley affordable considering wages. On the other hand, once you buy, there have only been short windows where you would not get all your money back and maybe some profit.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, you're able to sell the one for over $2 million? yowzers....

How does anyone afford to live out there.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2017 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

People are truly nuts..
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That "good jobs" comment from earlier. Google, Apple, Facebook, Linked in, are places that will get you $2M house buying money. One other thing is that there is big piles of foreign money coming in from overseas.
At school conferences and gatherings where there are other parents, I have met many scientist and other PHD, owners of multiple startups, guys that are "retired" at under 40. It is mostly an other than average place. There is a private school down the street that has high walls and security in suits. I am pretty sure I have seen a gun bulge on more than one of them. Not sure who goes there considering who I have met at the public school.
People have seen me moving my plants(fairly well know as a yard to watch, something always happening) and figured out that I am moving and asked if they could put an offer on the house now.

[This message has been edited by FriendGregory (edited 03-22-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wonder that same thing. Over the past two decades, I have been offered three different opportunities in CA. In each instance, I asked the same question. Will the salary you're willing to pay me allow me to own a similar home and property in CA that I have in KY? The obvious response was, Hell No. Although the last offer was several years ago before I retired, the HR person told me my 3400 Sq. Ft. home worth about $250,000 (at that time) would cost about $4,000,000.00 on similar acreage there. That is, if I could find anything similar. But, he did say that folks who wanted the CA life style must be willing to sacrifice to live there.

He didn't like my response to that statement. Needless to say, I'm still in KY. The spousal unit will retire in about a year, when that happens, she wants to move south. That may happen, not sure if she be doing it alone or take her dog with her. (I hope she takes the dog.)

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but …
after a shooting, the problem is the gun....

The next thing you know, they'll be using motorized vehicles to mow down pedestrians. Wait, that's already happening. OK, ban vehicles......

If you wish to upset a Conservative, lie to him.
If you wish to upset a Liberal, tell him the truth.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2017 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Inflated salaries IMO.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2017 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For a no traffic 10 to 12 minute drive. You were driving the wrong direction.

Location was fine when I was commuting to Fremont. Palo Alto, yes the wrong direction of traffic flow. Even when I was driving back late at night with no traffic, significantly exceeding the speed limit, and with all green lights, my best time was 32 minutes. 101 was always a parking lot, so I'd take 280 to 85 to 237 to 101 to Montague Expressway.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Inflated salaries IMO.

If you ever get an opportunity to transfer out there: Take the offer salary, divide it by two, and that's the equivalent of what you'd be making anywhere else in the country. I was making six figures, but it was a net pay cut.

I liked the area, but I wouldn't move back unless I was making over $300,000 a year, or had a net worth over $3,000,000.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2017 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May be an over share for the same post header but:
Well, the Palo Alto house is sold, the papers signed, the checks are being written. We went back in for a last visit and when we went in Ronalds room, my mind looked for him where his desk would be in front of the window. Then I turned to where his bed would have been, and I felt a fist wrapped around my heart as I looked at where he suffered, failed to sleep, where many times I had to give him shots, help him up and down so he could make it to the toilet, and cry with him because I could not bring him comfort. I am glad to be gone from the house, that mechanical need to look for him will not be so strong. It is what was needed to happen and we can hopefully look to some normality in our lives.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock