The San Francisco Bay area is in a panic by FriendGregory
Started on: 10-13-2016 12:49 PM
Replies: 34 (657 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-13-2017 06:00 PM
FriendGregory

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There has been warning for days about the likelihood of aerosolized Dihydrogen monoxide settling in on the area.
Yep, the panic and commentary, fears of auto accidents because Californians do not know how to respond to rain. They say there is going to be a lot, they think it might even be measurable.
Last year, I did float my 4x4 in 4 foot deep water under a underpass. Got to use the paddles on the mudder tires.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, been thru that myself earlier in the year when adverse atmospheric conditions plagued this area--I hear the Carolinas are having to endure it as well on the opposite coast right now.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the floods we had in the late 80's I had a freighter sitting 2 blocks from my house.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Yep, been thru that myself earlier in the year when adverse atmospheric conditions plagued this area--I hear the Carolinas are having to endure it as well on the opposite coast right now.

It's no longer aerosolized here. We have localized retention reservoirs connected by a number of migratory conduits. People are just complaining about where they were installed.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember driving around there when it rained, the two or three times it happened. Everyone suddenly forgot how to drive, and would actually come to a stop on the freeways. People wouldn't last 10 minutes in a snowstorm.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I remember driving around there when it rained, the two or three times it happened. Everyone suddenly forgot how to drive, and would actually come to a stop on the freeways. People wouldn't last 10 minutes in a snowstorm.

Nothing is funnier than being from the snow belt when your down south and it snows. People are in a panic, and we just shrug it of and drive.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:Yep, been thru that myself earlier in the year when adverse atmospheric conditions plagued this area--I hear the Carolinas are having to endure it as well on the opposite coast right now.

They are making a big deal out of it and they think it might be "measurable". Yea, that is how bad people drive in the rain here.
In the Carolinas, they are expecting 19 inches.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FriendGregory

4833 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:I remember driving around there when it rained, the two or three times it happened. Everyone suddenly forgot how to drive, and would actually come to a stop on the freeways. People wouldn't last 10 minutes in a snowstorm.

One time I passed 7 different accidents on a ten mile drive.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:
Nothing is funnier than being from the snow belt when your down south and it snows. People are in a panic, and we just shrug it of and drive.

We had a "freak snowstorm" in Atlanta a few years ago. I think it was when the Green Bay Packers were here for a playoff game.
The city was essentially shut down, and many of us were sequestered in hotels, near to work, because they didn't want us to have to venture downtown from the burbs. (Our center is 24x7x365. Weather is not an excuse to miss work.)
One morning, as we were getting ready to get on our shuttle (essentially an E350 van with snow chains) to venture to work, we spotted a lone pickup truck in the parking lot. Its owner had set up a grill in the snow, behind the truck. He was a Packers fan, in town for the game, tailgating before the game!
We all got a good laugh. He was probably at least as amused as we were.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is this "snow" of which you speak ?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

What is this "snow" of which you speak ?

I'm pretty sure snow and rain are just stories that old folks use to scare the youngsters around the campfire.
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know, it's pretty funny in the South when somebody from the snow belt scoffs at our 1" of frozen precip and takes off into a ditch because it was ice, not snow.
I expect people who don't know what to do to panic. It's those who are supremely confident in their skills as they slide into a tree that make me laugh.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2016 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I don't know, it's pretty funny in the South when somebody from the snow belt scoffs at our 1" of frozen precip and takes off into a ditch because it was ice, not snow.
I expect people who don't know what to do to panic. It's those who are supremely confident in their skills as they slide into a tree that make me laugh.

One of the only good things about driving through snowstorms, is passing all the 4WD trucks in ditches, in a Fiero.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's no longer aerosolized here. We have localized retention reservoirs connected by a number of migratory conduits. People are just complaining about where they were installed.

Do they have any restrictions on how they can disperse it to try to alleviate the concentration?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-14-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
One of the only good things about driving through snowstorms, is passing all the 4WD trucks in ditches, in a Fiero.

No prob if they are in the ditch, its if they are doing 5mph blocking the road that is perturbing.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

There has been warning for days about the likelihood of aerosolized Dihydrogen monoxide settling in on the area.
Yep, the panic and commentary, fears of auto accidents because Californians do not know how to respond to rain. They say there is going to be a lot, they think it might even be measurable.
Last year, I did float my 4x4 in 4 foot deep water under a underpass. Got to use the paddles on the mudder tires.

So are they worried about the rain water or that it is "acid" rain?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We have our share of those idiots up here too. The ones that think just because they have 4 wheel drive they can do 80 on the ice. Had one of them pass me once on my way to work doing 70-80, laughed as he went by thinking OK, I'll pass you in the ditch. Sure enough a mile down the road there he was stuck in a field. I waved as I went by.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:So are they worried about the rain water or that it is "acid" rain?

With the very long dry season, very heavy traffic year long, 20 hours a day, lack of maintenance of cars that drip oil, the roads become like a James Bond escape trip. First rain of the season can bring up a lot of oil. My exit to home, I have to turn left and go over the over pass. A couple times, I have actually slid backwards on the overpass. There are plenty of chips and paint scrapes on the opposing sidewalk to commemorate this one particularly slippery spot.

Yea so, take this exit, left over the ramp, first right, follow the road for around a mile to the Mclaren dealer. Do not take your test drive and come back on this exit, you may have to buy it.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We have our share of those idiots up here too. The ones that think just because they have 4 wheel drive they can do 80 on the ice. Had one of them pass me once on my way to work doing 70-80, laughed as he went by thinking OK, I'll pass you in the ditch. Sure enough a mile down the road there he was stuck in a field. I waved as I went by.

Yup, that guy. It just makes it more funny when they do that while scoffing at how Southerners don't know how to drive in "a little snow."
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2016 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just an fyi sunshine, the snowbelt gets ice , it isn't a snowbelter in the ditch..
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

With the very long dry season, very heavy traffic year long, 20 hours a day, lack of maintenance of cars that drip oil, the roads become like a James Bond escape trip. First rain of the season can bring up a lot of oil. My exit to home, I have to turn left and go over the over pass. A couple times, I have actually slid backwards on the overpass. There are plenty of chips and paint scrapes on the opposing sidewalk to commemorate this one particularly slippery spot.

Yea so, take this exit, left over the ramp, first right, follow the road for around a mile to the Mclaren dealer. Do not take your test drive and come back on this exit, you may have to buy it.

I know that exit, I worked about a mile down the road from that McLaren dealer (next to the Tesla showroom), never took that one in the rain, but I can imagine.
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is hardly a storm. It is barely raining. More of sporadic drizzle to clumping of droplets

I wish I was on the road to the Coast Run. I bet the waves are wonderful right now.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Just an fyi sunshine, the snowbelt gets ice , it isn't a snowbelter in the ditch..

Spoken with the arrogance of a Yankee in the ditch.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spoken with the arrogance of a Yankee in the ditch.

This sure had the build up for at least a gentleman's bet for the next one found off the road.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Winter has begun in Michigan, really miss that Silicon Valley weather...
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I'm pretty sure snow and rain are just stories that old folks use to scare the youngsters around the campfire.

I was in Chandler last weekend with my grandson at Wild Horse Pass. All he wanted to do is swim and get to North Scottsdale to see the exotic cars dealerships. It rained a little on Saturday during the competition but was severe clear on Sunday morning when we went to see the cars.
Here he is taking some of many photos, this time of some used Lamborghinis.

Rain almost daily since we got back but it sure was nice there. Almost missed the place.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A few years ago I was driving across 94, through Battle Creek in a snowstorm. This yahoo in an old Toyota car passed me, and I was pushing a bit of snow, I look over and he's driving with his knees, rolling what I can only assume (because of the area) was a completely legal tobacco cigarette.

I wouldn't call what most of the people up here do driving, but whatever it's actually called they do keep doing it no matter the conditions.

Brad
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This should be an interesting winter for me. While I've driven in every kind of weather imaginable in all 49 land locked states + Canaduh (I used to be a truck driver), I've spent the past 15 years driving in north central Indiana. For those of you in the more southern states, most of us in northern Indiana (as well as northern IL, IA, MI, OH, etc) don't consider a "snow event" to be anything short of a storm where you can't see 2' in front of you with a couple feet of snow already on the ground covering another inch of ice. "Winter driving" just "is". It's something we've all learned to deal with (although some deal with it better than others) and we do deal with it. Recently, I've moved to North Carolina. Oh, man. Since I have about an hour commute each way, I asked my fellow workers what they consider to be a "snow event". Other than the lady who was also a displaced Hoosier, everyone said about the same thing along the lines of, "OH, S***! I remember last year when we had TWO INCHES of snow!! What a mess! We couldn't go anywhere!" or "I remember when the roads were a little icy [apparently from about 2am until 8am, when it got above freezing and it all melted]! Cars were in the ditches EVERYWHERE! We were driving TWO MILES PER HOUR!".

I'm more cautious in ice/snow but puleeze. I know there aren't many (any?) plows and/or salt trucks down here and I know nobody down here has ever considered pre-salting roads. Our call off policy (we're a call center and never/rarely close, at least during normal business hours) is very lenient, mostly because of the occasional "winter weather". I told my boss I wouldn't be using that call off policy due to "winter weather".

I honestly feel a little bad for those that have spent their entire lives in the South. Winter driving skills are something to be proud of. Southerners, take a drive up north in January this year just to experience what "real" driving is all about. (Don't actually drive on public roads, though, as you'll cause accidents just because you're driving 2 mph when everyone else is doing 30.)

Signed,

Displaced Hoosier Living in "OH NO. I SAW 2 SNOW FLAKES" Land.

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 11-12-2017).]

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

This should be an interesting winter for me. While I've driven in every kind of weather imaginable in all 49 land locked states + Canaduh (I used to be a truck driver), I've spent the past 15 years driving in north central Indiana. For those of you in the more southern states, most of us in northern Indiana (as well as northern IL, IA, MI, OH, etc) don't consider a "snow event" to be anything short of a storm where you can't see 2' in front of you with a couple feet of snow already on the ground covering another inch of ice. "Winter driving" just "is". It's something we've all learned to deal with (although some deal with it better than others) and we do deal with it. Recently, I've moved to North Carolina. Oh, man. Since I have about an hour commute each way, I asked my fellow workers what they consider to be a "snow event". Other than the lady who was also a displaced Hoosier, everyone said about the same thing along the lines of, "OH, S***! I remember last year when we had TWO INCHES of snow!! What a mess! We couldn't go anywhere!" or "I remember when the roads were a little icy [apparently from about 2am until 8am, when it got above freezing and it all melted]! Cars were in the ditches EVERYWHERE! We were driving TWO MILES PER HOUR!".

I'm more cautious in ice/snow but puleeze. I know there aren't many (any?) plows and/or salt trucks down here and I know nobody down here has ever considered pre-salting roads. Our call off policy (we're a call center and never/rarely close, at least during normal business hours) is very lenient, mostly because of the occasional "winter weather". I told my boss I wouldn't be using that call off policy due to "winter weather".

I honestly feel a little bad for those that have spent their entire lives in the South. Winter driving skills are something to be proud of. Southerners, take a drive up north in January this year just to experience what "real" driving is all about. (Don't actually drive on public roads, though, as you'll cause accidents just because you're driving 2 mph when everyone else is doing 30.)

Signed,

Displaced Hoosier Living in "OH NO. I SAW 2 SNOW FLAKES" Land.

I was raised in NC as you know. I’ve lived in snow country for more than half my adult life and can handle snow just fine. You don’t need to be worried about yourself when it snows in North Carolina, you need to be worried about all the other guys. They have no idea what snow tires are, how I defroster works, how to clear snow off the top of SUV before doing 70 MPH. If you ask most of them 4wd Means you can go better AND stop better. The first time it snows more than an inch and you get to commute you will understand exactly what I mean. Just because you can drive better doesn’t mean they’re going to get out of your way or not try to kill you.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should see how Dallas reacts to an inch of snow. City goes into complete lockdown according to my sister. I know here in ohio the last few years, they cancel school and school buses for a heavy frost. Last winter I remember them cancelling school in the morning at 6am because an inch of snow was predicted to fall that evening...
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2017 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Living in the snow belt, you learn how to drive a vehicle in the snow and ice and be in control while doing 4 wheel drifting to turn a corner.. you know how much the front will slide and know how to much to bring the ass end around, to keep it on track and in your lane.. You also learn that if you are sliding sideways, slaming it in "r" and gassing it will straight'n the vehicle out,, that is if you drive a vehicle that doesn't nanny you and stop you from driving and thinks it knows more than you.. if you do you are phucked..
part of why I hate abs, traction control and electronicly controlled transmissions, that won't let you put in in "r" unless stopped or going under 3mph..
same with traction control, that when stuck fights you while you try to get the vehicle rocking to get out of the parking spot were the snow is 3-4" higher than the pavement the car was parked on, and it won't let you get over that icey speed bump caused by the snow..

oh, and when try'n to stop and sliding on snow or ice, stabbing it in "r" along with braking stops the car/truck (rear wheel drive). faster..
ABS is pissa on snow and ice as there is no real traction and it fights you to stop, as it take the brakes completely off to stop the lock up of a wheel, and you just roll through, while your foot gets a vib job..
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the most fun driving is after a bunch of snow, at about 2am when there is no traffic
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RWD cars are not that bad in snow with a little knowledge. Id NEVER put a car in reverse while moving forward. The simple thing to do works with any higher hp rwd to stop. Simply slip it into neutral THEN brake and it will stop a lot better. My Corvettes were all a pita with ABS. If the setup allows it, I always disable them completely. Some its as simple as pulling out a fuse. The Corvettes had to physically have one of the wheel sensors removed. Starting out on snow or ice is much easier if you start out in second gear. Most automatics, at least in older days would do that just by putting it into 2. A stick works just ok starting in second gear too.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2017 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

RWD cars are not that bad in snow with a little knowledge. Id NEVER put a car in reverse while moving forward. .

not like it is going to harm anything when on snow and ice as the tires have zero traction, you stab the brakes , hit "r" and gass it, the car that is sideways will straightn out, and slow to a stop with it try'n to go backwards as you are also braking.. You can be 90* out
from straight in a slide and your not recovering with steering, but you will dropping it in "r" and gassing it, the rear tires try'n to go the other direction does it every time.. once straight you can add more throttle and brakes to stop. or slow.. I'll take being a little ruff on the transmission than wading the vehicle up and having to fix all the dents and the insurance headache if you slide into someone else..
Learnt this trick in my 80 sunbird with that weak sause turbo 200 automatic or whatever it was behind the duke, and if it didn't hurt it.. then I don't think it does much harm, as you stab the brakes , that stops the drivetrain then put in r, in one fast as hell movement,

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 11-13-2017).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
true as long as you know its slick under the tires. If it hits a dry spot or melts it, you can blow the trans when it bites. Most newer cars it wont go into reverse at all if there is any forward motion. going to neutral will never hurt anything at all ever.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock