Started on: 09-10-2016 08:08 AM
Replies: 10 (264 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-12-2016 12:31 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WAR is HELL !

Anyone else see this as being just like what ISIS is doing, destroying any evidence of just how bad war is by cloving this guys account.

Facebook bans, then reinstates, iconic 'napalm girl' photo

The social network has a hard time differentiating between Pulitzer-winning photography and indecency.

Facebook's policy on what constitutes as nudity is in the news again. This time, though, there's a reversal involving a Pulitzer Prize-winning photo from the Vietnam war, The Guardian reports. The Terror of War is a photograph of children running from a napalm attack with armed soldiers behind them, taken by Associated Press photographer Nick Ut. One of the kids, Kim PhĂșc, is naked. When Norwegian writer Tom Egeland posted it along with six others as a status concerning photos that "changed the history of warfare," the author's account was suspended.

More than that, when the editor in chief of Norway's largest newspaper, Aftenposten, published an open letter to Mark Zuckerberg about the removal, the article used the same image as its lead photo. Facebook reached out and asked the publication to either remove or pixelate the photo. And then Facebook took action and deleted the post from the newspaper's profile page before EiC Espen Egil Hansen could respond, stripping the publication of its own editorial judgment.

"Even though I am editor-in-chief of Norway's largest newspaper, I have to realize that you are restricting my room for exercising my editorial responsibility," he writes. "I think you are abusing your power, and I find it hard to believe that you have thought it through thoroughly.

"The media have a responsibility to consider publication in every single case. This right and duty, which all editors in the world have, should not be undermined by algorithms encoded in your office in California. Editors cannot live with you, Mark [Zuckerberg], as a master editor."

As The BBC writes, Norway's prime minister posted the photo as well, only to have it removed in similar fashion.

Facebook has responded, both by reinstating the photo and offering reasoning for why the deletion occurred in the first place.

"While we recognize that this photo is iconic, it's difficult to create a distinction between allowing a photograph of a nude child in one instance and not others," the social network tells The Guardian. "We try to find the right balance between enabling people to express themselves while maintaining a safe and respectful experience for our global community. Our solutions won't always be perfect, but we will continue to try to improve our policies and the ways in which we apply them."

Facebook has repeatedly said that it's a tech company, not a media organization. But this, combined with its checkered past concerning how it portrays news on the site, is evidence that Zuckerberg and Co. don't quite realize how others view the site's role in modern life.

https://www.engadget.com/20...c-napalm-girl-photo/

Sorry if that offends people, but war is hell and in a war things happen that should never be forgotten, that might just make us stop starting wars for oil. for land, for whatever reason things like is going to happen.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Facebook has an automated system, similar to youtube.. If enough people tag a photo or video as inappropriate, it will automatically take the image down and "ban" it.. Which im willing to guess is what happened here. So it was probably more the facebook users who got the photo taken down, than facebook itself. Youtube does the same thing, if something gets banned by the system, they review it and if found to be "ok" they put it back.

Not defending facebook, just stating the reality of how it works.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 09-10-2016).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That girl lives in Canada now.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The take away I took from the photo was that politicians in far away location decide to conduct war and the effects of war are too often incent children. (Too often can be one.) I was told that we were there to help the south prevent the north communist from taking over. My brother in law says we were there to test our weapons against the Soviet weapons without being officially at way with them. When the VFW did not admit the Vietnam veterans for many years, it showed me that many of them are dicks. The soldiers served their country in violent exchange.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought this was going to be a different take... but basically, the picture could be considered <you know>. The "you know" is because I don't want to put text in here that might cause Cliff's forum to get flagged for inappropriate stuff and get trashed by Google search engine.

Anyway... it's technically that, even if it is an iconic picture.

It's one of those things... how hard-line of a stance do you take on something like that? Allow this picture, and what will be the next picture that someone says is just "art" or something like that.

Of course, I totally support allowing pictures like this to be represented because it truly shows how bad things can get. Although, I don't see what the big deal would have been to pixilate that area of the body... it wouldn't have been a big deal. Over-reaction or not... there are some sick bastards out there that probably look at this picture for reasons other than we have when looking at it.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2016 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
there are some sick bastards out there that probably look at this picture for reasons other than we have when looking at it.

I dont know about you, but I refuse to hide from realty...these VERY ugly things happen on a daily basis, and I am not going to stick my head in the sand, or put on rose-glasses and pretend it doesn't exist. Part of being human and capable of extreme violence when needed, is realizing the consequences OF that violence.

Life is NOT pretty.....and I wonder sometimes just how many "modern" humans would enjoy their steak as much as they do if they have ever worked in a slaughterhouse, even part-time ( hate to admit it, but I got to the point I could walk down the kill floor with a burger in my hand, and pat the next one in line and say "hello tomorrow's lunch" ). We are a killer species capable of cruelty unseen in the animal or insect world.

Face it, NOTHING else, besides humans, would even THINK of a chain-saw beheading...but the shock value is there so its been done.

For the snowflakes who cant handle reality and what kind of cruel place we live in.....there is always denial, drugs, or alcohol....or all 3.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 09-10-2016).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Facebook has repeatedly said that it's a tech company, not a media organization.

Then IMO, they need to pull their heads out of their sphincters. It's called social media for a reason.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's Facebook and his intellectual property
While no one likes censorship we are talking about a Social media site
You can put anything on Facebook nobody controls content or edits for factual information
If you want news you can trust I would suggest that you not expect to find it on Facebook
As for the picture I certainly understand why it would've been removed at first and quite honestly I do question them putting it back I hope that they don't open the doors for other creeps to start posting similar pictures stating they are iconic and protected

I'm sure are some blue lagoon screen grabs out there they would enjoy as well
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2016 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

It's Facebook and his intellectual property
While no one likes censorship we are talking about a Social media site
You can put anything on Facebook nobody controls content or edits for factual information
If you want news you can trust I would suggest that you not expect to find it on Facebook
As for the picture I certainly understand why it would've been removed at first and quite honestly I do question them putting it back I hope that they don't open the doors for other creeps to start posting similar pictures stating they are iconic and protected

I'm sure are some blue lagoon screen grabs out there they would enjoy as well

I'd think knowing the historic history of the photo, they just airbrush the photo, to make it pg.
But then again, those working at facebook, most likely didn't know what the photo was.. or the historic history of it.. and that is a problem all in it's self.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Facebook has a policy....

Don't like it? Don't use it. Feel free to start your own service
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you forget or ignore Cliff's ad problem a few months ago? A few pictures Google didn't like was a ban for PFF. Same problem here.

I don't like FB but Top Post above likely do not know and news outlets do not care about the whole story. Is worse because Most News Outlets tries to hide the fact they censors every story they have.

The Issue is partly caused by Facebook, Google, and most other big sites uses AI and other methods and in most cases, staff does not look at a post to ban the post and users. If/when they do, don't wast time to ban most items.
Why?
Simply. Hundreds of Millions of posts to check per second.
Plus in the US and Others, Facebook etc must deal with Child Protection Laws that label most to all nude kid pictures as Child P.

More Confusing... Above picture posted by News Outlet and a few others isn't CP in many places but by law in other states/counties or post by others can be labeled as CP. For this reason many News outlets in the US won't show the picture w/o editing.

So Facebook et al get some backlash when you have "problems" above but the Companies cannot afford any risk to allow any "CP" on their systems. If they do, they will quickly be called by Congress and other Govrmnts for answers why, get big fines, etc, and Big Media will roast them too.

One Nude Policy Side effect:
Censoring herself! Rose McGowan shares bizarre nippleless photo as she reveals her breasts on Instagram Daily Mail (UK new site)

She is never one to censor herself.
But Rose McGowan looked to be following the rules of Instagram as she decided to muzz her own nipples on Thursday.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay