Started on: 06-04-2016 04:09 PM
Replies: 30 (507 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 06-07-2016 11:57 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there is HUD for vehicle systems out there (though I've never owned one) but, does anyone make a HUD for a navigation unit like a Tom Tom or Garmin that will put the map on the windscreen? Had a gent ask me that today, told him I didn't think so but, there's always something new out there and as I've said before. I don't get out much...............

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Definition of a home owner, "see the door threshold, without my permission, there and no futher.......

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-04-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Garmin has one but it's very basic.

Navdy is launching this month actually.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Garmin has one but it's very basic.

Navdy is launching this month actually.

That's pretty cool. It may be very basic to some but, it's way out there for someone like me and, probably the gent that asked me about it.

Almost afraid to click the link and see what it costs. Go ahead, you do it for me.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Definition of a home owner, "see the door threshold, without my permission, there and no futher.......

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of smartphone nav apps have HUD options. You just set the phone on the dash and start HUDdin'.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

A lot of smartphone nav apps have HUD options. You just set the phone on the dash and start HUDdin'.

Wasn't aware of that either. (as I've said before, I don't get out much) I'm running an I Phone 5S. It's old by today's standards and I don't have very many apps on it, I can barely operate the few I do use so, I'm thinking I should probably just stay home.

------------------
Ron

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

That's pretty cool. It may be very basic to some but, it's way out there for someone like me and, probably the gent that asked me about it.

Almost afraid to click the link and see what it costs. Go ahead, you do it for me.

$500 buys a lot of maps !

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-04-2016).]

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can pre-order a Exploride for $299 and hope it isn't vaporware.

(Comments warning: This is a scam. Don't order it. They will take your money and run.)
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2016 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I'm a big HUD fan. You are correct, but what all the smart phone apps lack (so far) is the optics to project the display focused at (or near) infinity ... which is an important requirement for any true HUD system. The second big problem is multiple reflections off an ordinary windshield. That said, the GPS map displays we've grown accustomed to are very complex and detailed, and they will have to be simplified immensely to be more useful than distracting in a HUD environment. A huge amount of human-factors work goes into the design, development, and optimization of commercial and military HUD systems. Too much information in a HUD display can be far worse than not enough information.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-04-2016).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Too much information in a HUD display can be far worse than not enough information.

So true, and holds true for any map as well. I brought up Texas Dept of Transportation's road condition map a couple days ago trying to plan a little trip and avoid flooded roads, and it had every road problem imaginable cluttered all over it. Fortunately, there was a way to turn off icons for accidents, construction, traffic, damage (bent guard rails, signs down, poor shoulders etc) and future planned closures leaving only flood closures and current construction closures, and it became much clearer.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2016 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'd rather a double tall rearview mirror replacement..as there is more than enough room above most mirrors to double the height and not get into the front view, and put the nav screen on it, and it b able to toggle through nav screen and rear view camera/mirror screen..
as most are used to looking at that spot as they drive..
putting a holograph on the window seems like a bad idea, for most drivers, That don't see earth tone painted vehicles or motorbikes, now put a holograph in the view..

Reason oem's pushed earth tone paints... shown to get in wrecks 75% more than bright colors.. THe more sent to the scrap heap, the more they sell.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 06-05-2016).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

$500 buys a lot of maps !

Very true. Makes me wonder why GPS was ever invented in the first place since a paper map is so cheap. You'd think nobody would pay hundreds of dollars for a GPS when they can get a map for $5.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Very true. Makes me wonder why GPS was ever invented in the first place since a paper map is so cheap. You'd think nobody would pay hundreds of dollars for a GPS when they can get a map for $5.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, if you were,

Anywhere I have lived I have just bought a state atlas and never gotten lost with one of those, well unless I missed an exit or something. Try using GPS up here in Maine, it just doesn't work very well. Even the Maine state game wardens have a Maine state atlas in all their vehicles, because they just don't work up here in the places they go.

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I think I'd rather a double tall rearview mirror replacement..as there is more than enough room above most mirrors to double the height and not get into the front view, and put the nav screen on it, and it b able to toggle through nav screen and rear view camera/mirror screen..
as most are used to looking at that spot as they drive..
putting a holograph on the window seems like a bad idea, for most drivers, That don't see earth tone painted vehicles or motorbikes, now put a holograph in the view..

Reason oem's pushed earth tone paints... shown to get in wrecks 75% more than bright colors.. THe more sent to the scrap heap, the more they sell.

You do know that you can see threw a HUD display right?

You really are not in touch with reality.

Steve
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You do know that you can see threw a HUD display right?

You really are not in touch with reality.

Steve

Can you read words in context..??

if people can't seam to see vehicles and bikes with no hologram, putting on between them and the view of the road isn't a good idea..

go smoke another..
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you read words in context..??

if people can't seam to see vehicles and bikes with no hologram, putting on between them and the view of the road isn't a good idea..

go smoke another..

Find someone else to follow around and try and degrade, all your BS just rolls right off of me. from the sounds of it you are nothing but a child, who thinks they know everything, yet hasn't got a clue.

And just to be sure you get the point, your idea of making the mirror even bigger and taking up extra windshield space, no body should be or can constantly be looking at the middle of windshield, you should be looking out the windshield all the time, the part right in front of the drivers seat, not the middle of the windshield. I also road bikes when I was younger, until some twit in Taxachusettes cut me off at a red light in a paneled van. So I know all about distracted driving by others who don't see Bikes. maybe she was looking in her rear view mirror.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-05-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2016 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Find someone else to follow around and try and degrade, all your BS just rolls right off of me. from the sounds of it you are nothing but a child, who thinks they know everything, yet hasn't got a clue.

And just to be sure you get the point, your idea of making the mirror even bigger and taking up extra windshield space, no body should be or can constantly be looking at the middle of windshield, you should be looking out the windshield all the time, the part right in front of the drivers seat, not the middle of the windshield. I also road bikes when I was younger, until some twit in Taxachusettes cut me off at a red light in a paneled van. So I know all about distracted driving by others who don't see Bikes. maybe she was looking in her rear view mirror.

Steve

You flipping stoner fool.
you quoted me..

kids this is why drugs are bad.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just put a pretty girls picture on the dash for "heads up display"
My GPS hangs right below the mirror so I have easy access and can keep my eyes on the road when I touch it. (The GPS get your minds out of the gutter)
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I just put a pretty girls picture on the dash for "heads up display"
My GPS hangs right below the mirror so I have easy access and can keep my eyes on the road when I touch it. (The GPS get your minds out of the gutter)

Interesting concept....... I hadn't considered hanging it from the rear view mirror. The GPS that is.......... But then, that damn cord hangs down and gets in the way of the shifting action doesn't it?

The Navy seems to have an idea that might be applicable to GPS motorcyclist use. Going to need some air vents though, can't see carrying a tank of compressed air.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-06-2016).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting concept....... I hadn't considered hanging it from the rear view mirror. The GPS that is.......... But then, that damn cord hangs down and gets in the way of the shifting action doesn't it?

Its not too bad. If I keep the truck going to put the power in the over head light so the cord mess wont be an issue.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You flipping stoner fool.
you quoted me..

kids this is why drugs are bad.

You know what, I am not stoned, I had a fkn stroke in 04, have short term memory loss, weakness in my left side, and more yet you being a Masshole know everything. I do smoke Medical Marijuana for constant muscle spasms and pain relief at times.

Medical Marijuana has low THC levels and high CBD levels. if I wanted to get stoned I wouldn't be smoking MM I would be smoking something with a high THC level.

But that is a good way to change the subject. A common Masshole mistake, MM is legal in Maine, MA, CA, and about 25 or maybe more states now all over the country, soon it will be legal for medical use all across the nation, as soon as our idiots in charge stop taking money from the pharmaceutical company's. Stroke was hereditary, everyone older than me in my family has had at least one. My pain doctor had me on 30 MG of opium twice a day before the MM, now I am down to 10MG twice a day and smoking the MM when I feel a muscle spasm coming on. Or have to much pain to stand so I don't have to take more opium. What would you rather see someone taking, Opium or MM?

And oh ya, I also have 6 herniated discs in my back. What is your problem other than you are a Masshole who thinks he knows everything?

But then don't let that stop you from spewing your stupid uninformed, incorrect statements.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-06-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so you are claiming that med weed has zero affect on people as far as them becoming high..

odd, I watched a family member that died from cancer, use it, and it was like night and day, you could tell when the person had smoked to help the pain and when they didn't need to .

I'll take my 1st hand info over your pro weed biased b/s
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so you are claiming that med weed has zero affect on people as far as them becoming high..

odd, I watched a family member that died from cancer, use it, and it was like night and day, you could tell when the person had smoked to help the pain and when they didn't need to .

I'll take my 1st hand info over your pro weed biased b/s

You really are an idiot.

There are all kinds of strains of MM out there, some work better than others but then I can't tell you anything you don't already know. How about you read something and learn something.

https://www.facebook.com/lovegrowncaregivers

https://www.cropkingseeds.c...oducts-page/strains/

click on any strain and it will give you CBD and THC levels of it, not all MM works for everyone, some use higher levels of THC, some need Higher levels of CBD. But then you knew that already. Certain ones work better for some people and others work better for others. But then you already know that.

And looking at the dispensary in Brockton they have only high THC level strains so I can believe that they got high, but then it is Taxachusettes, land of the tax you to death representatives. But then the state only licensed who they wanted to now didn't they.

Now instead of trashing this thread why don't you start one of your own about MM, there are a lot of members here who use it for pain relief and more. Matter of fact it has been debated here many times already, why don't you do a search and some reading and learn something.

Hey did the MM work for your friend? Because if it did I don't see what your problem is with it, other than you are just argumentative. As an alternative they had Morphine, OxyContin I know, my mother died of Pancreatic Cancer.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-06-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2016 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, I'm not an idiot..
I just have no use for those that take issue with people in my state, that had no problem with it, when it was the best option for them to make a good living, and are the ones YOUR AGE that voted in the clowns that made this state what it is..
Then leave and call others MASSHOLES...

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, I'm not an idiot..
I just have no use for those that take issue with people in my state, that had no problem with it, when it was the best option for them to make a good living, and are the ones YOUR AGE that voted in the clowns that made this state what it is..
Then leave and call others MASSHOLES...

Obviously answering more than one question at a time is over your head, so find some place else to spread your
"I am Better than you!"

Some place else hell start your own thread.

Did the medical marijuana help your friend?

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Obviously answering more than one question at a time is over your head, so find some place else to spread your
"I am Better than you!"

Some place else hell start your own thread.

Did the medical marijuana help your friend?

That says it all, no point at replying..

as for your last part.. no... died 3 months early

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That says it all, no point at replying..

as for your last part.. no... died 3 months early

Did it help with his pain, he was using it for pain wasn't he?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2016 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Navy seems to have an idea that might be applicable to GPS motorcyclist use. Going to need some air vents though, can't see carrying a tank of compressed air.

f you are going to use GPS on the bike.......why not just duct-tape it to your visor ? That way its ALWAYS in your line of sight ?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

f you are going to use GPS on the bike.......why not just duct-tape it to your visor ? That way its ALWAYS in your line of sight ?

One hell of an idea, you first...........

------------------
Ron

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting concept....... I hadn't considered hanging it from the rear view mirror. The GPS that is.......... But then, that damn cord hangs down and gets in the way of the shifting action doesn't it

You can be ticketed for obstructing your vision if you get an overzealous policeman. I hid my camera behind the mirror so it's out of my line of sight just for this reason. The cord can be routed between glass and headliner so it's invisible.

I would bet if you want a HUD type function in a GPS then someone is working on it right now. I'm thinking it's going to be pricey.

My old Garmin is no longer used as my iPhone does everything the Garmin does and doesn't require paid updates.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

You can be ticketed for obstructing your vision if you get an overzealous policeman. I hid my camera behind the mirror so it's out of my line of sight just for this reason. The cord can be routed between glass and headliner so it's invisible.

I would bet if you want a HUD type function in a GPS then someone is working on it right now. I'm thinking it's going to be pricey.

My old Garmin is no longer used as my iPhone does everything the Garmin does and doesn't require paid updates.

The goal was to determine if, there was such a thing as a independent GPS that would provide HUD, didn't know before this.
I like the idea of having a Go Pro type camera mounted but haven't gone that route, I don't go as much as I used to but hope to change that soon.
Everything seems to be pricey now. But, I don't see them getting any cheaper in the near future.
I not into using my IPhone for navigation, uses a whole bunch of data that still has to be paid for. I've been using an old Tom Tom for years and while it's not been updated since I purchased it, it still gets me where I want to go. Just purchased a new Tom Tom for my motorcycle, hope to get it mounted soon. It's user friendly and Blue Tooth capable, I'm just not too enthused about wearing ear buds while riding. That's my excuse and explanation for the interest in HUD for my bike.

------------------
Ron

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you've heard of the Sully helmet.

http://www.skully.com/

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2016 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I'm sure you've heard of the Sully helmet.

http://www.skully.com/

Yep, totally cool.

Currently an bit out of my reach price wise but definitely cool.

------------------
Ron

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock