Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Whole house generator questions (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Whole house generator questions by Hudini
Started on: 04-18-2016 08:11 AM
Replies: 50 (809 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 05-22-2018 04:22 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Don't you see it? A friggin Fiero engine with intake and all powering my house!

It may fail spectacularly but you never know until you try.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-18-2018).]

IP: Logged
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, so much has happened in 2 years. I ended up buying a 17.5K portable Generac unit. I installed a manual lockout switch into my 200 amp service panel. I also wired an outdoor certified plug and cable to hook the generator to the house. I then added a Motor Snorkel LP gas conversion kit to run off LP gas or CNG. Currently I run it off the small portable LP gas tank you have in your gas grill (I have two including my grill). This works for the short periods power is off during storms. Any long term outage I will fill the generator up with gasoline as I keep several 5 gallon jugs filled at all times. The only issue is this setup is totally manual.

So no Fiero engine, no imported gen head, no hack and slash. My eyes were bigger than my appetite for a DIY gen set.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, so much has happened in 2 years. I ended up buying a 17.5K portable Generac unit. I installed a manual lockout switch into my 200 amp service panel. I also wired an outdoor certified plug and cable to hook the generator to the house. I then added a Motor Snorkel LP gas conversion kit to run off LP gas or CNG. Currently I run it off the small portable LP gas tank you have in your gas grill (I have two including my grill). This works for the short periods power is off during storms. Any long term outage I will fill the generator up with gasoline as I keep several 5 gallon jugs filled at all times. The only issue is this setup is totally manual.

So no Fiero engine, no imported gen head, no hack and slash. My eyes were bigger than my appetite for a DIY gen set.

Glad you didn't go that route, sounded awful.

Can you link the genny? Cost? I've got plenty of those tanks, how long do they last? Why not natural gas? Am I understanding that takes 3 fuels?

I have a 2500sqft home. Only 3 of us, but would that size likely be enough? I've been wanting to add this, but we're buying propertyto build currently and maybe it'd be better to wait, but inquiring minds...

Finally, how often are you losing power? I have a house that the power goes out with the wind, but my residence has never lost it and I'm in the tornado zone.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Gene...0+portable+generator

The kicker here is the 50 amp plug is rated for 12kw, not 17.5kw. You may pop the breaker if you pull more power. I haven't had that issue even when running the central air. Nowhere in the description do they specify that the 17.5kw running power supply is through a single point because it's not. You add up all the 110/220 supply sockets and you could run 17.5kw worth of devices. This one point really surprised me but ultimately did not affect me as I don't plan on running the A/C, the stove on high, and the hot water heater at the same time.

The generator is made to run on gasoline only from Generac. I added a Motor Snorkel CNG / LP gas conversion kit. I've never had to run a full tank through it yet so I really don't have an answer on how long it runs. I chose the small tank over the larger 100 gallon because I always have a spare for / from my grill. If the outage lasts longer than a few hours I will just switch back to gasoline as the Motor Snorkel kit does not affect the carbs. You can use CNG but you get less power and must have a large hard line installed to guarantee enough flow from the low pressure city supply. I did not want to add to my expenses with this work.

To find your needs you go though the house and add up the wattage from the various appliances. The biggies are central A/C (fan plus compressor unit), heat pump, hot water heater, stove, fridge, etc. Plus all the little ones like the TV, lights, fans, dish washer, cable boxes, etc. Then you decide what is best for you given what you would likely power during an outage. For me I can shut off the hot water tank and stove and use the microwave for meals. I always power the fridge and freezer. When it's time for showers you can shut off the A/C or heat to power up the hot water tank and take a shower then switch it back when done. Of course for more money you can go permanent whole house 20kw unit and pay 10k-20k $$ to have someone else install it. It's all automatic and you should not worry about anything, ever.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Gene...0+portable+generator

The kicker here is the 50 amp plug is rated for 12kw, not 17.5kw. You may pop the breaker if you pull more power. I haven't had that issue even when running the central air. Nowhere in the description do they specify that the 17.5kw running power supply is through a single point because it's not. You add up all the 110/220 supply sockets and you could run 17.5kw worth of devices. This one point really surprised me but ultimately did not affect me as I don't plan on running the A/C, the stove on high, and the hot water heater at the same time.

The generator is made to run on gasoline only from Generac. I added a Motor Snorkel CNG / LP gas conversion kit. I've never had to run a full tank through it yet so I really don't have an answer on how long it runs. I chose the small tank over the larger 100 gallon because I always have a spare for / from my grill. If the outage lasts longer than a few hours I will just switch back to gasoline as the Motor Snorkel kit does not affect the carbs. You can use CNG but you get less power and must have a large hard line installed to guarantee enough flow from the low pressure city supply. I did not want to add to my expenses with this work.

To find your needs you go though the house and add up the wattage from the various appliances. The biggies are central A/C (fan plus compressor unit), heat pump, hot water heater, stove, fridge, etc. Plus all the little ones like the TV, lights, fans, dish washer, cable boxes, etc. Then you decide what is best for you given what you would likely power during an outage. For me I can shut off the hot water tank and stove and use the microwave for meals. I always power the fridge and freezer. When it's time for showers you can shut off the A/C or heat to power up the hot water tank and take a shower then switch it back when done. Of course for more money you can go permanent whole house 20kw unit and pay 10k-20k $$ to have someone else install it. It's all automatic and you should not worry about anything, ever.

Looking at that, it is definitely not the route for me. At $3000 plus install fees, I'll just make sure I can power everything. It being manual or automatic isn't a super concern, but I do have 5 fridge/freezers in the house. I had a storm shelter installed. Same deal. At about $3000 I could get a "6 man" which equates to maybe 3.5' deep and elbows and assholes. For about $5000 total I got a close to 50sqft that is 6.5' deep and now I have a few hundred gallons of water and plenty of food and supplies in it. It is supposed to be for 26 people, which I think is a joke, but I've got 300lbs worth of animals plus my wife and daughter. I think our bid is going through on a property so a generator and a new storm shelter are high on my list.

Anyone buried a conex for a shelter?

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 05-20-2018).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't bury one but investigated obtaining one for a storm shelter. The plan was to use 4 or 5 power line cables over the top, screwed into the ground with the same type augers that power companies use for their guy wires. That was to hold it down during extremely high winds. The problem with burying them is that they have wood floors and in time, they will rot if underground.

There are storm shelters available now that can be installed after a house is built. Some videos I've seen had the shelter still standing and unharmed when the house was completely gone. Don't remember the manufacturer, though.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Didn't bury one but investigated obtaining one for a storm shelter. The plan was to use 4 or 5 power line cables over the top, screwed into the ground with the same type augers that power companies use for their guy wires. That was to hold it down during extremely high winds. The problem with burying them is that they have wood floors and in time, they will rot if underground.

There are storm shelters available now that can be installed after a house is built. Some videos I've seen had the shelter still standing and unharmed when the house was completely gone. Don't remember the manufacturer, though.

I didn't realize it had wood floor. Thought it was all metal. Oklahoma, while storms don't bother me, my girls are crybabies. The one I have now was in the range of 5k. Installed in my garage after the fact. 6.5'x5.5'x9.5' It was fine when it was my labby, but the next place will have a serious set of stairs. I was thinking buried and one on top. Below the wood is metal, right?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what's below the wood. I have never seen underneath one. If you catch one at a truck stop, you might look underneath, but I would expect that it's metal on the bottom. I don't think that just wood would give it the strength it needs to carry the loads that some carry.

I couldn't place one out near my existing storage building because city ordinances require out buildings in a subdivision to have a contemporary finish similar in nature to the primary residence. I had actually planned to cover the sides with Hardy Plank lap siding, but had admitted that I couldn't do it within the 3 month time span they required.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I don't know what's below the wood. I have never seen underneath one. If you catch one at a truck stop, you might look underneath, but I would expect that it's metal on the bottom. I don't think that just wood would give it the strength it needs to carry the loads that some carry.

I couldn't place one out near my existing storage building because city ordinances require out buildings in a subdivision to have a contemporary finish similar in nature to the primary residence. I had actually planned to cover the sides with Hardy Plank lap siding, but had admitted that I couldn't do it within the 3 month time span they required.

I won't be in a residence After looking into, metal under. I deal with freight regularly, but never even considered the wood.. 40x8 delivered is around $3000. Figure a skid steer can get me the hole needed. I'd rent a scoop, but to go 8' would be a really large one and no one I know owns one. I guess at my new spot I should document everything I do. Posterity.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2018 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You probably know this already. All of the storm shelters that were affected by the F5 tornado that hit Moore, OK were looked at after the fact. Every single one survived intact, both above ground and under ground. The only fatality involved an underground shelter which filled with water after the door was blocked. That’s why I built mine above ground with a door that opens inward.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2018 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You probably know this already. All of the storm shelters that were affected by the F5 tornado that hit Moore, OK were looked at after the fact. Every single one survived intact, both above ground and under ground. The only fatality involved an underground shelter which filled with water after the door was blocked. That’s why I built mine above ground with a door that opens inward.

I am unfortunately very familiar with all of the shelters and their respective issues. A few years back a fistful of kids died in a shelter incident like you are describing. Elementary age kids. Ours went to a different one, but it was within a mile of her school too.

https://nypost.com/2013/05/...ue-recovery-efforts/

During that particular storm my shelter was underground and outdoors. We attempted to seek refuge, but after about 30 minutes my doggy was stressed out and the door had started to take on water and was flooding. It was all I could do to open the dang thing.

My new house didn't have one at all. I came home from the hospital where my great great uncle had just passed. On the way home flooding was extremely bad. My mother stalled. My uncle flooded his wife's Honda Odyssey and fouled out O2 sensors. Both were lucky to make it home. I found the kid in my closet doing homework with a bicycle helmet on. They don't scare me a bit, but with all the specials and cost I went ahead and ordered one. We looked at plenty, but if I was going to be out the money I didn't want to be cramped. Which was an issue for my uncle during the Plaza Towers storm (less than a mile from his house). A neighbor had one of the small ones that are 3.5' or so. It was hot and crowded. Mine actually stays super cool due to sitting on water. Here are a couple photos to give an idea of the size.

We haven't ever really used it, but it will help resale and is kind of like a gun as far as I'm concerned.
The 2nd photo has 7 layers of bottled water stacked if that maybe tells you the size. Obviously I keep toiletries and a couple buckets. Coloring books. Flashlights for all. Basic supplies. Radio. Food. It all stores around the sides under the bench seat so doesn't take up any room from occupants. This house does not take on water not even in the strongest storms with the garage door wide open.

As I said I am moving. I am going to bury a conex and stack another on top for my shelter there. Weld them together. We had looked at the indoor ones too, but the place where I wanted it was also where I am building a closet. My aunt had one for my now dead uncle. He was in a chair and they had it put in the garage. I don't think it's been used once. I need my garage space, so that has never been something I'd do. Her house would fit in my living room though, so not exactly a fair comparison.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay