Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  San Francisco, storefront church had the jazz beat, now it's a financial beatdown

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
San Francisco, storefront church had the jazz beat, now it's a financial beatdown by rinselberg
Started on: 02-27-2016 05:48 AM
Replies: 9 (135 views)
Last post by: pokeyfiero on 02-27-2016 02:09 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A long-standing and unconventional African American church in what was once the heart of San Francisco's thriving black population is just days from eviction, marking the latest example of the region's ongoing renting crisis and the city's decades-long black exodus.

The St. John Coltrane African Orthodox Church faces eviction next week from its home in the Fillmore District, a neighborhood best known for its jazz roots that in its heyday was dubbed "the Harlem of the West."

"It's the most urgent example of the push-out of the African American population right now during our housing crisis and our affordability crisis," said San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar, who is advocating for the church in its eviction fight.

The church, founded by Archbishop Franzo King and his wife Reverend Marina King in 1971, is well known throughout the city as a place where worshippers play instruments and sing along as well as a leader in social justice movements for decades.

The Kings were inspired after watching the legendary jazz musician John Coltrane perform. The church, effectively a one-room storefront, is adorned with paintings of Coltrane as well as images in which Jesus and Mary are black.

The West Bay Conference Center, which owns the property, said church leaders have failed to pay rent for the space for a year. . . .

The church's struggles are part of a broader exodus of African-Americans from San Francisco. The shift started amid 1960s-era urban renewal programs that targeted low-income, often minority neighborhoods for redevelopment, and continues in today's tech-boom.

The city's share of black residents has dropped by more than a half since the 1970s, according to census figures, to 6.1 percent in 2010 from 13.4 in 1970. . .

Read the small parts I didn't copy and paste and GROOVE on the PHOTO IMAGE
http://www.reuters.com/arti...church-idUSKCN0W003H
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Negotiations with the center about back rent abruptly ended in December, said King, who is going to court on Tuesday to try to stop the eviction. The church has the money to pay the outstanding rent, but the center will not accept it, he said.

That, is ...."troubling".
Why won't the center accept the payment?
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Not sure, but probably along the lines of whomever wants that property is offering more.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont usually watch the show "parts unknown" by anthony bordain. But, the show on SF was really interesting to see what the tech boom is doing to the city. If the major companies google, yahoo, apple, cisco, oracle...... left the bay area prices would plummet like worse than the stock market crash in the 20's. The crisis is so bad people are renting their garages for 1300 a month to people wanting to move there.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because they know if they kick them out and turn it into condos they can triple their income. Come on Don you know that,

Money, Money, Money !

It is the American way, take advantage of anyone you can.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Because they know if they kick them out and turn it into condos they can triple their income. Come on Don you know that,

Money, Money, Money !

It is the American way, take advantage of anyone you can.

Steve

Maybe--or something a little more sinister and convoluted.
I prefer it to be the $$ angle than "We don't want yore kind 'round heah!" and I've seen lots of the second thing in my lifetime.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-27-2016).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I prefer it to be the $$ angle than "We don't want yore kind 'round heah!" and I've seen lots of the second thing in my lifetime.

The answer will be hard to discern as the owners will spin it the one way and the occupants will spin it the other.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They call it 'gentrification'.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now they do. In my father and grandfather's day it was called something completely different...
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now they do. In my father and grandfather's day it was called something completely different...

It is completely possible but more likely it is the money.

The Bay area is incredibly diverse but one thing rules all. Money.
As a matter of personal appeal I really like it that way.
It is something I can count on and therefore be prepared for. As good as being able to predict the future and sometimes creating the future.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock