Started on: 01-21-2016 02:40 PM
Replies: 176 (3300 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 09-14-2017 10:00 AM
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Modded to unlock virtually all movies and TVs shows. Also has live TV shows and sports.

Not sure if anyone has any interest, but I gave them to all my family members for Christmas and the love them and are cancelling their cable. Any questions ask.

Can also do the voice activated remote or the 4k models. Price is still $20 over the cost of the item from Amazon. I personally think the cheapest one is the best route. The features on the others just don't justify and increased cost in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 08-06-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silly question. What do you use for a remote with these?

How much work are they?

For instance, if I hooked one up at Don's house (Maryjane) could he operate it without too much trouble?

Brad
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Access to all movies/tv shows? hmmm.... sounds shady
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Fats:

How much work are they?

For instance, if I hooked one up at Don's house (Maryjane) could he operate it without too much trouble?

Brad

They have their own remote, if he isn't changing anything related to that. Look up Amazon Fire TV stick in google.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

How much work are they?

Brad

http://www.amazon.com/Amazo...8-2&keywords=fire+tv

I prefer to use my phone as a remote because you can use the keyboard. No work to use. Just the initial setup, then you just sign it into your wifi and good to go. Updates are automatic

Easy enough to use I sent one to my grandmother.

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Access to all movies/tv shows? hmmm.... sounds shady

I don't know if I'd call it shady, these are live streams that are all over the internet. The person hosting them would be the shady one. This OS build just puts them in a searchable format. I am not going to have the morality discussion, if it isn't something a person can keep a clear conscious over they shouldn't buy one.
On a separate note, I just found out Cox is going to require a cable box for every TV. I'm furious over this as I have 3 TVs in the pool area, 2 in the living room, 1 for my garage storm shelter, extra bedroom, kids room, and my room. Was considering one for the bath tub. This is going to get them cancelled by me as soon as this change goes into effect. Be glad to get rid of that extra $200 a month, with these sticks shouldn't be too much of a change.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I don't know if I'd call it shady, these are live streams that are all over the internet. The person hosting them would be the shady one. This OS build just puts them in a searchable format. I am not going to have the morality discussion, if it isn't something a person can keep a clear conscious over they shouldn't buy one.
On a separate note, I just found out Cox is going to require a cable box for every TV. I'm furious over this as I have 3 TVs in the pool area, 2 in the living room, 1 for my garage storm shelter, extra bedroom, kids room, and my room. Was considering one for the bath tub. This is going to get them cancelled by me as soon as this change goes into effect. Be glad to get rid of that extra $200 a month, with these sticks shouldn't be too much of a change.

You weren't clear on what you meant about movies and tv shows. It sounds like you were modding to allow access to paid content (directly), which is something I wouldn't think we would want to promote here on Cliff's forum.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but,
WTF is a modded fire TV stick ?

Hey you know I am technologically ignorant, I still haven't figured out how to work Amanda's Ipad.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-21-2016).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004

They have their own remote, if he isn't changing anything related to that. Look up Amazon Fire TV stick in google.

I looked on amazon, the are voice activated remotes, I have enough trouble just using my remote with numbers and what thing I am changing. Well I suppose as long as it doesn't talk back to me I could fk it up.

Steve
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If my research on this is correct, you would still need to have the Amazon service as well as all the others to get the content?

dan
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You weren't clear on what you meant about movies and tv shows. It sounds like you were modding to allow access to paid content (directly), which is something I wouldn't think we would want to promote here on Cliff's forum.

I don't honestly know the legalities of it. Someone for sure is hosting all this stuff. As far as I know streaming a link is not illegal in anyway. It does have paid and premium content that can be streamed for free. I haven't really found any movie or TV show that I can't watch. There are also some bootlegged cams posted for streaming.Having said that, if Cliff doesn't like this he can certainly remove it and I wouldn't post it again, I'd just take the hint.

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I looked on amazon, the are voice activated remotes, I have enough trouble just using my remote with numbers and what thing I am changing. Well I suppose as long as it doesn't talk back to me I could fk it up.

Steve

I don't use the voice operated ones. Maybe it is tin foil hat thing, but seems like it could be listening to you at all times. You can use voice activation from your phone as well, which I don't do either. Call me old fashion, but I like typing it in, less room for error.

If anyone is curious if something is available to watch I can let you know.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently using a Firestick. Nothing is unlocked. Everything is pay it seems. What is required for me to use your modded units? I am interested.

PM me if you wish. I trust you, but just want to know what is required other than plug in?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-21-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonaduce:

If my research on this is correct, you would still need to have the Amazon service as well as all the others to get the content?

dan

That is NOT correct.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't use the voice operated ones. Maybe it is tin foil hat thing, but seems like it could be listening to you at all times. You can use voice activation from your phone as well, which I don't do either. Call me old fashion, but I like typing it in, less room for error.

If anyone is curious if something is available to watch I can let you know.

As long as it doesn't talk to me I don't care what remote it is, but do you still have to pay for those services or are their "Feeds" out there for like Netflix, hulu and suck?
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is NOT correct.

sorry, that was a quick search, after further research I see it is quite the system "upgrade". Same a tony, pm me i may be interested depending on details.

dan

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

As long as it doesn't talk to me I don't care what remote it is, but do you still have to pay for those services or are their "Feeds" out there for like Netflix, hulu and suck?

Nah, nothing like that.

I guess I should have noted, this ONLY works if you have an HDMI port. It will not connect to the older TVs. Must also have an active WIFI for it to connect.

This thing also does music. Pandora, Youtube, XM, iHeart, TuneIn. You can also search for artist songs and videos.

Buddy watched a UFC fight on his the other day.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2016 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PayPal works. Thanks Mr. Orange.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

PayPal works. Thanks Mr. Orange.

Got Tony one out UPS today. Hopefully he can report back when he gets it and tell everyone how fantastical it really is. I have 3 at my house alone
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one that I modded. Its nothing more then uploading a third party app called "Kodi" to it. Kodi is a community media content app that utilizes XBMC. The content is all streaming, and is legal. There is nothing illegal about streaming the content to your home withe his app. Now, for the people hosting the content?....thats a different story.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which addons are you guys using with Kodi? I am finding a majority of them having dead links or really slow connection. Was fine a year ago, but seems like everyone is jumping on this band wagon and loading down the servers...
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

I have one that I modded. Its nothing more then uploading a third party app called "Kodi" to it. Kodi is a community media content app that utilizes XBMC. The content is all streaming, and is legal. There is nothing illegal about streaming the content to your home withe his app. Now, for the people hosting the content?....thats a different story.

That is kind of how I took it also. I miss when it was XBMC Kodi is effin stupid. I am running a custom build. I have tried out TONS some are garbage, some are acceptable. I see these things as the way of the future. Cable bill is outrageous. Now with needing a box for every TV that was the last straw.

Have you check out the Star Wars stream? It looks pretty decent.

Speaking of, what is the order to watch all these in if I have never seen them? Asking for a friend.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Which addons are you guys using with Kodi? I am finding a majority of them having dead links or really slow connection. Was fine a year ago, but seems like everyone is jumping on this band wagon and loading down the servers...

Genesis is my go to. SALTS, Phoenix, iVue TV, SportsDevil. I haven't really found anything I couldn't watch. Streams are strong for me. Have had a couple show not there, but there was dozens to chose from so this hasn't been an issue.
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Trying to drum up some extra coin and hunker down on my mortgage. $60 each plus shipping.

Modded to unlock virtually all movies and TVs shows. Also has live TV shows and sports.

Not sure if anyone has any interest, but I gave them to all my family members for Christmas and the love them and are cancelling their cable. Any questions ask.

Can also do the voice activated remote or the 4k models. Price is still $20 over the cost of the item from Amazon. I personally think the cheapest one is the best route. The features on the others just don't justify and increased cost in my opinion.

PM sent.

Brad
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This sounds interesting. Curious, is there a way to stream something from your computer to the firestick to play on the television?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 01-21-2016).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

This sounds interesting. Curious, is there a way to stream something from your computer to the firestick to play on the television?

Plex and Kodi Various other apps also.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Plex and Kodi Various other apps also.

Hmm, that might work then. My PC is a Plex media server for our Roku's but one Roku is from way back (so far back it says Netgear on it). We got a notification 6 or so months back that they would no longer be doing updates for those because of their age. So as services change, less and less of them continue to work. I need to replace it.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. The mod I do allows St (Samba) Also unPNP.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Hmm, that might work then. My PC is a Plex media server for our Roku's but one Roku is from way back (so far back it says Netgear on it). We got a notification 6 or so months back that they would no longer be doing updates for those because of their age. So as services change, less and less of them continue to work. I need to replace it.

This will do network share. Default will do screen mirror though, not pc, android devices.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use to run Mash up, but the creator took it down. I think he got a C&D letter. I liked it better as XBMC too. As more people sell modded sticks and mini pcs on amazon programmed, the more the community grows in mass. Its beginning to become over taxed.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you check out the Star Wars stream? It looks pretty decent.

Speaking of, what is the order to watch all these in if I have never seen them? Asking for a friend.

IMHO, the best way to watch them is in the order they were released which would be: IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7). The original trilogy is THE story. The second trilogy (1, 2 and 3) are the prequels or back stories. The Force Awakens (VII or 7) is set 30 years AFTER the end of VI (or 6).
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

IMHO, the best way to watch them is in the order they were released which would be: IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7). The original trilogy is THE story. The second trilogy (1, 2 and 3) are the prequels or back stories. The Force Awakens (VII or 7) is set 30 years AFTER the end of VI (or 6).

Thanks man. I am gonna give it a go. Not sure I can watch that much of the same thing in one sitting. Ah who am I kidding I have binge watched a TON of shows on Netflix. Pisses me off when they do the previously on part. Like I know what just happened I've been sitting here in my own filth for the last 12 hours watching this thing.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Genesis is my go to. SALTS, Phoenix, iVue TV, SportsDevil. I haven't really found anything I couldn't watch. Streams are strong for me. Have had a couple show not there, but there was dozens to chose from so this hasn't been an issue.

Thanks, Genesis is my usual go to as well, but as of late I run into a lot of "no feeds" error and when I do find something I get the dreaded "buffering". Are you using 15.2 for Kodi?
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, Genesis is my usual go to as well, but as of late I run into a lot of "no feeds" error and when I do find something I get the dreaded "buffering". Are you using 15.2 for Kodi?

I install Isengard, but the custom build I am working was based off Helix. I don't see a difference between any of the H,I, or J. It is a huge leap though from the XBMC I have installed on my original XBox. I wonder how far I can upgrade that thing. I have an RPT TV that is HD, but not HDMI left over that I just can't bear to throw away.

I have not had any issues with Genesis like you are saying. I don't have buffer issues either. What show were you trying to watch? I'll check it on my end.

To this point I have only had 1 thing I wasn't able to watch. The State (1993) series. I don't know what the heck it is exactly, it was for a buddy. It showed the correct things,but when I streamed it, it was a completely different show. Otherwise I have 0 problems.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats what I dont want, to be in the middle of a show and have it buffer or drop.
With 40 mbs internet it wont be my connection that is slow.
Some "providers" unreliable?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-22-2016).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Thats what I dont want, to be in the middle of a show and have it buffer or drop.
With 40 mbs internet it wont be my connection that is slow.

I have 50 at work and home. No problems for me. In my bedroom at home I can only get around 25-30 down due to distance of router. YMMV
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you get what you pay for
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you get what you pay for

Most accurate statement of the thread. I however have been more than satisfied with what I am paying for.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I install Isengard, but the custom build I am working was based off Helix. I don't see a difference between any of the H,I, or J. It is a huge leap though from the XBMC I have installed on my original XBox. I wonder how far I can upgrade that thing. I have an RPT TV that is HD, but not HDMI left over that I just can't bear to throw away.

I have not had any issues with Genesis like you are saying. I don't have buffer issues either. What show were you trying to watch? I'll check it on my end.

To this point I have only had 1 thing I wasn't able to watch. The State (1993) series. I don't know what the heck it is exactly, it was for a buddy. It showed the correct things,but when I streamed it, it was a completely different show. Otherwise I have 0 problems.

The wife was using it to watch Mad Men (not sure where she is season/ep) and was getting frustrated - I don't recall which movie I was trying to watch a week ago when it was doing it to me (but it might be ok now), I have too busy doing other things to watch tv much lately.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The wife was using it to watch Mad Men (not sure where she is season/ep) and was getting frustrated - I don't recall which movie I was trying to watch a week ago when it was doing it to me (but it might be ok now), I have too busy doing other things to watch tv much lately.

Whats your mbps internet speed?
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just watched an episode. No buffering for me. Great show.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whats your mbps internet speed?

It is about 30 mbps - the thing is it was fine about a year ago, but have been thinking of upgrading.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock