Sweet 70s paint jobs by 2.5
Started on: 11-23-2015 12:28 PM
Replies: 13 (1182 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-26-2015 06:06 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I just like them because they are different, a big throwback, that and the colors and designs jump out at ya.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And the talent and patience it must take to create them.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Vette has the Q series Centerline wheels that everyone wants.

Back in the mid 70's my brother had a late 60's Malibu with a black vinyl top and some doily pattern airbrushed in a stripe down the sides. My cousin did airbrushed murals on vans back then, too.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like to hear Rogers take on this, I do know knowing auto body people and having a couple of cars custom painted is it ain't cheep and it ain't easy or quick.

I know there are tricks the guys use to make certain patterns in the paint but for the life of me can't remember them except when my buddy did my Cobra II he painted all the stripes and letters that were originally decals and then sprayed clear coat over those and sanded and painted more clear coat and sanded and painted more clear coat and sanded. Just so you couldn't feel the strips, the entire car was like a sheet of glass, smooth and that took him almost a week in the paint booth.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres a fully restored Pinto just like that one in my town, the guy is a Ford nut, also has a mint Mustang II.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I know there are tricks the guys use to make certain patterns in the paint but for the life of me can't remember them ...

I know you can overlay with lace or net and use it to mask the paint.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Ive done a lot of jobs like those. Ive forgotten more types of paint jobs than I can remember. The last one is still done a lot in Calif on low riders. Ive painted literally thousands of custom one off vans when I did them for a local custom van builder here. I did 1-3 a day for almost 12 years, no two alike. Murals were big on those. There was Candy color you rolled with crumpled aluminum foil, metalflake, lace, actual fish scales powdered and mixed into clear, fluorescent colors that glowed in the dark, real mother of pearl, lace, Vrebble, ribbons, spaghetti stripes, endless lines, fades, flames, ghost stripes/flames, scrubbrushed, fake wood, hammertone, even a way to transfer photos directly into the paint (not a decal or transfer). Any kind of graphics was my specialty. About all I havent done are 'true flames'.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-24-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I didnt see a Corvette in any of those ?

There are a few that are in IMG icon because of their size, need to click 'em.

Have any pics of custom ones you did?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-24-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I caught that afterward, sorry.

I had a set of the Keystones (first Cuda pic) on my 66 Dodge, and a set of those ETs on my 69 Cuda (that are on the Daytona).

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-24-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id really have to dig into boxes. In those days, i wasnt much of a picture taker.
PFF
System Bot
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the lace effect as well. I've got some pictures from car shows that I'll have to dig up that fin in with these pics..
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Id really have to dig into boxes. In those days, i wasnt much of a picture taker.

Painting 1 - 3 vans a day wouldn't leave much time for photography!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2015 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really hard, I just did graphics on brand new vans. I just laid out stripes, had a girl that masked them for me, then scuffed with scotchbrites. All I had to do was spray after I laid them out. Everything then was all lacquer, so I could paint them right beside each other and they were dry in 30mins. She was already unmasking the first one while I finished clearing the last one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock