Started on: 10-12-2015 03:55 PM
Replies: 67 (1093 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 09-16-2020 02:55 PM
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

They're TRASHING our rights, man! They're TRASHING the flow of data! They're TRASHING! TRASHING! TRASHING! HACK THE PLANET! HACK THE PLANET!

Nice! I recognize that line. I'll raise you:

You see, feeling screwed up at a screwed up time in a screwed up place does not mean you are screwed up, if you catch my drift.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-14-2015).]

IP: Logged
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

25, or 6 to 4...

Actually, it was 7-2 Royals.

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops! I misread the thread title. I thought it said "Secret massages only". I was just about to offer my services to one lucky member.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 10-15-2015).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Oops! I misread the thread title. I thought it said "Secret massages only". I was just about to offer my services to one lucky member.

On My! We're starting to learn all kinds of things about our membership.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-15-2015).]

mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AM
I SEE
KAY EE
WHY
EM OH
YOU
ES
EE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This message is no longer secret.
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

who is that and what movie?

That's Jennifer Connelly, movie: Career Opportunities..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 10-15-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to... secret thread

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-15-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Location of Secret ninja
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fun with steganography ... hiding secret messages in plain sight. Here is a picture of a favorite end-of-the-trail watering hole for my wife and me:

Here is the same picture, but with a detailed map hidden in it, revealing where the picture was taken:

If you run an MD or SHA hash on the two images you can verify that their contents are indeed different, but even side-by-side it's hard to discern any difference visually. If I hadn't told you, you probably wouldn't even have noticed. FWIW, the hidden map data comprises more than 12% of the final composite image, which is a much higher payload ratio than usual.

For those who want to try to extract the map on your own, the software I used is simple, free for personal use, and legal: JPHS. JPHS was written more than 15 years ago, but you can still find copies for DOS/Windows posted around the Internet, and no installation is required. The pass phrase you will need to extract the map from the image above is "pennocks". For the less highly motivated, here is a "click to see" copy of the hidden map:

Click to show

Using other steganographic software you can similarly hide covert data in audio files files (MP3, etc.) and video files (e.g. MPEG, MP4, etc.) ... any encoded format with a lot of detail, rapid changes, and/or embedded noise will do. At its most basic level, this kind of steganography works by hiding messages in the low-level "background noise."

N.B. If any of you have ideas about using JPHS or steganography for illegal activities ... DON'T! The "bad guys" have been using it for years, and the U.S. Military, the NSA, the CIA, the FBI, and the computer forensics units of your state and local police agencies know all about steganography, how to detect it, and how to nail you for any contraband content.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-16-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

At its most basic level, steganography works by hiding messages in the low-level "background noise."

Can the human subconscious mind pick up on the message?
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Can the human subconscious mind pick up on the message?

I assume you're thinking of embedded subliminal messages, which are a totally different subject. Steganographic techniques usually encrypt messages multiple times ... both to thwart detection and to obscure the messages even if they are detected ... before embedding them in a carrier, so the answer is, "Not bloody likely." Our eyes and ears just perceive the hidden messages as background noise, e.g. film grain or barely-audible hiss. (Yes, John and George are dead, Paul was still alive the last time I checked, and Elvis has permanently left the building.)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-15-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assume you're thinking of embedded subliminal messages, which are a totally different subject. Steganographic techniques usually encrypt messages multiple times ... both to thwart detection and to obscure the messages even if they are detected ... before embedding them in a carrier, so the answer is, "Not bloody likely." Our eyes and ears just perceive the hidden messages as background noise, e.g. film grain or barely-audible hiss. (Yes, John and George are dead, Paul was still alive the last time I checked, and Elvis has permanently left the building.)

How about those deals where you stare at them, cross your eyes a little and you are supposed to be able to then see the 3d shape in the background? Popular about 15 years ago. Similar?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fun...

I so dig you.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jehoshaphat is a new word for the Urban Dictionary.

Jehoshaphat she registers on the Richter Scale when she walks.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-16-2015).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2015 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I so dig you.

In a manly way, I presume.

I'm glad that my post seems to have stimulated your imagination. Steganography is a really cool subject, IMO.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-16-2015).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2015 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In a manly way, I presume.

However you gotta' get through it...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bear does stuff in the woods
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The bear does stuff in the woods

Thanks to Renegade, the bear does whatever he wants, wherever he wants.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Secret message?
Whatever the Indy Colts coach sent in on the 4th down and 3 yards play in the 3rd qtr.

http://bleacherreport.com/a...m-indianapolis-colts

I'm pretty sure Roger Goodell is in secret meetings with Ted Wells this morning trying to figure out a way to blame this loss all on Bill Belichick and suspend Brady for it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet.../CRpf1qvUwAAl6eo.mp4

Morons abound.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Nice! I recognize that line. I'll raise you:

You see, feeling screwed up at a screwed up time in a screwed up place does not mean you are screwed up, if you catch my drift.

I'll admit, I had to look that one up. The movie it's from doesn't feel familiar. I'll have to look it up and watch it later.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2015 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

I'll admit, I had to look that one up. The movie it's from doesn't feel familiar. I'll have to look it up and watch it later.

If you liked Hackers you will probably like Pump Up the Volume also. It came out about 5 years prior to Hackers so expect a more end of the 80's feel to the movie. It's one of my favorites like Hackers.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sun is out
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I said, be careful, his bowtie is really a camera!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's good to see Marvin's posts again... even if they are five years old.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Through a glass darkly
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have the Courtroom Steganographer enter this message into the record of the Trial.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock