Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Corvette is coming out with mid-engine in 2017 Zora ZR1 (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Corvette is coming out with mid-engine in 2017 Zora ZR1 by Fiero Vice
Started on: 08-06-2015 01:29 AM
Replies: 55 (1732 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 10-11-2015 06:59 PM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2015 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 08-06-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mid engine 'Vette, yes...but..........it's no longer a Corvette. Now, it's a Ferrari.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2015 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's definitely a Corvette.

What it's definitely not though, is a Fiero.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, its finally a Corvette....

or a really upgraded Fiero....
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dobey, why haven't you freaked out claiming that this doesn't belong in General Fiero Chat yet?

Doesn't it belong in the off-topic lounge or something?
At least be consistent man.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like a Ferrari/C7 Photoshop hack job to me. I sure hope the ZR1 doesn't look like this.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

dobey, why haven't you freaked out claiming that this doesn't belong in General Fiero Chat yet?

Doesn't it belong in the off-topic lounge or something?
At least be consistent man.

I was waiting for you to do it. Thanks for jumping in and attacking me, instead of doing anything remotely useful.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not prejudiced against front engined cars, I like both. But I dont care for the parts of this car that differ from the existing Vette. It looks more plain. Well,even the current Vette, I like it all except the tail lights. This one went back to nice round tailights but the rear looks like its stretched out like this...

I hope it doesnt get produced like that.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-06-2015).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A motorcycle is mid engine. I guess I'll start a topic about those here too.
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first picture, the side profile reminds me of a station wagon, not cool.
I wonder if the transmission will be outsourced or a GM creation?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Corvettes already have a rear mounted transmission/drive. All they needed to do was shorten the tube to the bell housing. They been talking about this for 40 years. Id believe it when I see one in the showroom. I dont really know how well it would be recieved by die hard Corvette people. They practically revolted when the C6 didnt have hidden headlites.
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe Corvette will become a standalone brand, much like "RAM" trucks. The mid-engine Zora will be the top of the line, but they will still offer/sell a front-engine/rear drive Corvette like they do now (along with a host of other models).
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sick of Corvette topics showing up in General Fiero Chat. There I said it, it's been bugging me !
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I'm sick of Corvette topics showing up in General Fiero Chat. There I said it, it's been bugging me !

If someone from here posted a "hey guy's I have a Fiero" on a Corvette forum, the Corvette guy's would laugh their asses off yet here it seems cool to post crap about Corvettes and other cars just because of the term "mid engine".
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

If someone from here posted a "hey guy's I have a Fiero" on a Corvette forum, the Corvette guy's would laugh their asses off yet here it seems cool to post crap about Corvettes and other cars just because of the term "mid engine".

Couldn't agree more! However using that logic they seem to use, they might as well start threads that include all mid engine things:

Sure way of getting under people's skins !
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Couldn't agree more! However using that logic they seem to use, they might as well start threads that include all mid engine things:

Sure way of getting under people's skins !

NICE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love wood boats!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-06-2015).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it is pretty much what I would have wanted the Fiero to be at the very beginning. Kind of reminds me of a slightly bloated Ferrari in some ways.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Corvettes already have a rear mounted transmission/drive. All they needed to do was shorten the tube to the bell housing. They been talking about this for 40 years. Id believe it when I see one in the showroom. I dont really know how well it would be recieved by die hard Corvette people. They practically revolted when the C6 didnt have hidden headlites.

Thats the thing about doing multiple models. Calling it Zora and making it a special model, if they still keep the others they still please the others.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2015 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...!

I hate when people keep quoting pics over and over again.

Is that a Garwood? I too love that style of a boat. A Craftsman's era.

Edit: I see it must be a fiberglass boat made to look like a wooden. "Hemi Under Glass".

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 08-07-2015).]

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the boat more than the Zora. That is one beautiful mid engine ride.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Is that a Garwood? I too love that style of a boat. A Craftsman's era.

Edit: I see it must be a fiberglass boat made to look like a wooden. "Hemi Under Glass".

It's a 1955 Chris-Craft 21' Cobra, boat is running a 331 Chrysler Marine Hemi, the boat has won many awards over the years.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-d.../0/1955-Chris-Craft/

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 08-07-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the brain is the bodys engine, then technically THIS is mid engined.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL !!! that guys needs to be wearing spiked Track Shoe's on his feet.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 08-07-2015).]

Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, sorry if I upset some of you by posting corvette thread in "General Fiero Chat". As a new member, I didn't mean to do that. While Corvette is a cool car in its own way, but Fiero already won my heart back in the 80's with its mid-engine two seaters with perfect size that can take a sharp turn. Corvette seem like a long stick that is terrible at sharp turns. I was kinda pissed when Corvette decided to follow Fiero/Ferrari's path with mid-engine when they axed Fiero's existence. No fair at all!

I agree with Olejoedad, that it's a Fiero upgrade, never was a corvette with a mid-engine. LOL And I agree with Dratts, it is a bloated Ferrari in some ways. Haha

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 08-08-2015).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasnt being serious, just linking your post to Fieros.
GM has made at least two mid engine Corvette prototypes, and all of the racers C-4R and up have been mid engine.
If GM built a tricycle with wings and called it Corvette - it would be a Corvette.
They made it, they get to name it.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you guys like to complain.

A rear mid engine Vette is definitely stuff Fiero people chat about.

ANyway besides the drama, on topic I think this corvette is what a Fiero would be if it were built with higher quality parts.

It is just the ultimate Fiero with all mods already done in state of the art design.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 08-08-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
all of the racers C-4R and up have been mid engine.

Only in the same sense that street legal Corvettes are mid-engined (engine mounted behind the front axle, and forward of the rear axle) already as well. The C4/C5/C6/C7-R GT series cars are all the same driveline configuration as the OE street vehicles.

Only the IMSA Daytona prototype Corvettes have the engine behind the driver.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Only in the same sense that street legal Corvettes are mid-engined (engine mounted behind the front axle, and forward of the rear axle) already as well. The C4/C5/C6/C7-R GT series cars are all the same driveline configuration as the OE street vehicles.

When you're right, you're right.
Brain fart on my part, I meant the prototypes, not the C(x)-Rs.....

And to think I watch those series of racing...doh!

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its already been confirmed. Its going to be a Very limited per year Variant of the C8 that is going to run concurrent with the C7, They kind of had to do it. With these current corvettes reaching power of around 700HP+ there is not much they can do with your traditional RWD platform anymore. Yes I know someone is going to bring the Hellcat into the discussion But you are talking about a much heavier Straight line oriented Car there. The Corvette Despite Popular opinion Is not a straight line car. Even my old C5 is comparable to The fiero handling wise. I also read that when the C8 Goes to a production Base scale Even the base model run of the mill C8 is going to be a mid engine. I'll say this. I've driven the C4 and have owned a C5 for about a month now.. there is a world of difference Between the fiero and the corvette. Don't get me wrong The fiero still will always hold a special place in my heart But they no where near compare to the corvette on a Stock for Stock scale and even getting into swaps.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those pictures are of what Car and Driver thinks it will look like, correct? I've seen something different.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

THIS....

PFF
System Bot
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

Those pictures are of what Car and Driver thinks it will look like, correct? I've seen something different.

Correct. It probably will not look like that. Also, the latest rumor is that it may not be a Corvette at all now. They may make it the Cadillac flagship to compete against the Audi A8 and other very high end mid engine cars. Either way though, this car will be the anti-thesis of the Fiero. The only thing in common it will have with a Fiero is the engine being behind the driver. Where the Fiero was designed to be a low cost, fuel efficient commuter car the current car GM is working on is being designed as a really expensive, all conquering, ludicrous speed sports car no matter what they end up calling it or whether it's a Chevy or a Caddy...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are we talking about this car? because someone will develop a kit car that will make a Fiero look just like it called a Ziero. In all honesty how many people here will be able to afford a $100 K automobile. Face it folks, the frugal audience hangs out here.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

That is not it and a very old photo.

Word has leaked that GM has been testing a LT based engine over 1000 HP but has had trouble putting it to the ground. They will not put in more power than they can use like Chrysler.

There is a photo of a Holden Ute body over the car. The green house is clear but the rest of the car is covered.

I have heard Twin Turbo but nothing confirmed.

The car like Kid stated will be sold with the C7 and some expect at some point lower priced versions will take over later on. The C7 is at the limit and that is why they did not replace the ZR1 yet and just moved the Z06 up.

I can confirm the ZR1 LS based engine was tested to 725 HP with no issues in warranty or emissions but the car could not really run much faster lap times as it just could not use all the power.

The real deal will be here I expect in January at Detroit and will be in show rooms the fall of 2016.

There may be a more expensive and faster version coming for Cadillac but it will be a while. They would like to do like Audi and Lambo have done on the same platform and make two totally different cars. No XLR this time,

Note the plants is receiving a lot of new updates and investment for the new car that is coming.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6001 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Why are we talking about this car? because someone will develop a kit car that will make a Fiero look just like it called a Ziero. In all honesty how many people here will be able to afford a $100 K automobile. Face it folks, the frugal audience hangs out here.

That is just it Dennis. GM needs a car that people would like to make a kit car of. while these poster cars are not all about volume they do attract a lot of attention, excitement and in the end because of the high price they make a profit and build on image because you will not see some A hole at Walmart with one with florescent lights in the Fender wells.

FYI they will sell this car in the hundreds and it will be much more than $100K.

This will be GM's poster car and while few here will even own one used we all will look at it and wish we could just drive one once let alone own one. If you don't than you are not a real car guy or GM fan.

Lets face it most here will never even see a McLaren F1 in person even though it has been out for years but yet few of us would ever turn down a Drive or Ride and would be excited to even see one in person.

The Ford GT and the many Supercars VW has are all showcase cars that really reflect well on a company as a whole as long as you get it right.

GM wants to be seen as a company that can compete on the same level as Benz. VW, BMW and any other. The Malibu that is coming is going to show much of what they can do but few people will notice because it is just a Family sedan. Now Show case a car like the C8 It will represent the kind of abilities they can do.

We here know GM is one of the most advanced companies in the world and is just now again getting to appoint they can really show it. It has been decades since they have been able to do things like this right. The First ZR1 was a mess as it really was done on a budget and it showed it by the time it made it to market. They had to delay the LT engine because it had more power and was cheaper.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

. Face it folks, the frugal audience hangs out here.

I'm not frugal!

I'm economically realistic.

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Baller on a budget.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i can't seem to find pics, but i think that Archie and his gang did a MUCH better job with the help of Curly and TroyBoy . If I was gonna mortgage the house, I'd be writing checks to Archie, Not GM .
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the only way a mid engine corvette should happen, is if it's badged as a Cadilliac. Like the CIEN concept. It would market better, and make more sense I think.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock