Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  RC car for a child, anyone have any advice?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
RC car for a child, anyone have any advice? by Rodney
Started on: 04-20-2015 12:01 PM
Replies: 28 (429 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 04-28-2015 08:20 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to buy my wife's grandson an RC car. He is like 4ish. Looking for something as simple as can be, simple controls and as HD as possible. Even no suspension would be OK. Not too fast would probably be good.

Any RC guys out there that have any suggestions?

Thanks
Rodney

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They have a bunch of ones from CARS which are good. The controls are either 4 buttons, or you just turn the wheel, or pul a shift knob forward or backwards...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...rc+car+kids&_sacat=0
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get a cheap walmart car, cause you know it will get trashed.
Little kidos don't care enough about the "toy" or for a real RC.
Start small and work him up to the real RC cars so he can race "Grampa Rodney" !!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

get a cheap walmart car, cause you know it will get trashed.
Little kidos don't care enough about the "toy" or for a real RC.
Start small and work him up to the real RC cars so he can race "Grampa Rodney" !!

Also, make sure it's meant to be for 4 year olds - no small parts which can break off and suddenly look yummy...
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find that most stuff made for young kids unusable is junk, they are to large and have awful turning radius for indoor use.
The smallest car you think he can't choke on will be your best bet..

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 04-20-2015).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This would be for outside use only. I like the buggy design because it is for outdoors. Can they drive on grass?

Thanks
Rodneu
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

This would be for outside use only. I like the buggy design because it is for outdoors. Can they drive on grass?

Thanks
Rodneu

Most are very very low power (bare wood floor only) they don't want a kid to have their hand hurt by a spinning wheel...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12459 posts
Member since Jan 2012
The company "new bright" makes decent and relatively inexpensive RC stuff. I believe they were the ones that made the remote controlled Fiero back in the day...

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 04-20-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think 4 years old is too young to have one. It would be broke the first day. 4 Year olds would do dumb things like try to sit on it to ride, or drive it down the stairs. I wouldnt get anything like that till a kid was at least 9 or 10. Get him a hot wheels set with cars and a track. Pretty much indestructible and dont need batteries.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and we know what to use the hotwheels tracks for... right Roger???
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He only visits us a few times (at most) a week. We can let him use this RC car only when we are supervising him so it should last for a while.

Thanks
Rodney
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
I can say it is my toy and we can go play with it. I would drive it some to show him and then let him try it some. He would slowly get used to using the controller.

Rodney

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's going to be 100% supervised and outside you can definitely get something nicer. Just remember, he is 4 and you may be buying yourself a toy more than him. I have a 7 year old brother in law that I wasn't around until he was 4. He love the disney Cars movies, hotwheels and his dad is a car guy. I have not bought him a RC car yet that he enjoyed as much as the ones I had when I was a kid, he's just different. He was very much enjoyed the $25 chinook rc copter I bought(flown only with supervision and with me controlling elevation indoors) and more recently he really likes a FREE app called TinkerPlay. The app gives you a selection of action figure parts that you assemble, color and pose in the app. The figures can be printed out on a 3d printer or would could pay to have them printed.

https://play.google.com/sto...esk.tinkerplay&hl=en

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spr...&hash=item4d2f9a24e1

Cheap, awd, waterproof
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red...&hash=item4874e207b6

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mon...&hash=item27f5cbd9cc

3 AA batteries. Should not be too fast.

Rodney

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 04-20-2015).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be afraid that one wouldn't be capable outside or have a good run time.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006
This is probably the cheapest buggy I'd buy to use supervised with a child.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red...&hash=item4d0731148b

gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad has a newbright hummer. My 3 year old drives it around and does alright. Its been going for years now. Break all the mirrors off, but it's extra fun because:
1: the doors open and you can stuff people or things inside. possibly the best feature really.
2: It has a low and high range so you can set the speed.
3: it will drive on grass- kids don't steer all that well. it has to drive on grass.
4: it makes sounds and has a horn button so you can beep at grandpa and dad.

I'd stay away from any of the 1 button type kids r/c. they seem to frustrate kiddos even though they are supposed to be simpler.

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about this one. It is larger at 1:14 Come complete with charger battery and remote controller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New...&hash=item4194580283

1:24 might be somewhat small and not able to go in the grass?

Thanks
Rodney

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1/24 in the video goes through the grass but it slows it down, I would think that would be good the way to slow it down for a younger child.

The hummer you linked has size going for it and it might do ok in the grass but you getting close in price to the 1/24 scale and the 1/24 would probably be a better experience for both of you. Either one would be fun though.

here is a 1/24 redcat taking more abuse than the new bright stuff could handle.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 04-21-2015).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Cheap, awd, waterproof
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red...&hash=item4874e207b6

So looking into this. Thanks for posting.

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stopped at Toys R Us and bought a New Bright 1:15 Dodge truck for about $54 with tax. Somewhat large so it should go on the grass OK. Kinda disappointed it has no slower speed choice. I see that when to push the turn button it goes all the way left or right. But this is for outdoor use. Says battery life is 12 minutes so I ordered another battery. He will only use it when we one of us is supervising. Good enough for a starter RC toy.

Thanks
Rodney
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good deal
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that did not last very long. Going back for a refund. So little power. Would not go in the grass at all. We have a RC place in Milwaukee. I called them. They have (on the low end) a 1/10 scale (pretty large at 18" long) for $179 complete. Says it will go in the mowed grass lawn. Oil filled shocks. I think it is a truck body. Says it can be switched to go slower. Seems like there is no middle ground. The low grade stuff then the high grade stuff. I wanted a simple no suspension RC car that is slower and has plenty of torque/power. I find some on eBay that look good but if I buy it locally that will have parts available. I wanted like a Jeep. Forward and reverse and steering and lots of torque to go in the grass. Low speed. Simple controller. Maybe like 12-15" in length.

Rodney
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red...&hash=item3a9d85596a
slow with lots of torque, if you want a jeep body one can be found and added later.

Ask your local rc store about it and he will try to snub it and tell you some lies about availability of parts, its not true.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 04-28-2015).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

slow with lots of torque, if you want a jeep body one can be found and added later.

I do not need a jeep body. Just one that works like a Jeep in low range. I looked at these on eBay. Look very extreme for a little kid. Looking for something very simple and basic but lots of torque to go in the grass. Seems that does not exist.

Thanks
Rodney

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It used to exist, tyco RC made the best stuff. I still have some around that would run circles around the new bright stuff.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my nephew a truck once, it looked really cool, but was slow. It was a rock climber , and could carry some weight (toys piled on top) it did well on the grass. There are also cool rc critters, a shark, a centipede, etc...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12459 posts
Member since Jan 2012

It used to exist, tyco RC made the best stuff. I still have some around that would run circles around the new bright stuff.

tyco were rock-solid. Nikko were also good. Worth it to check eBay.

Look- 20 bucks
http://m.ebay.com/itm/191564270602?nav=SEARCH

Some of the Nikkos are fun because they have a "turbo" throttle- if you push up and then right and up again...

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 04-28-2015).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I do not need a jeep body. Just one that works like a Jeep in low range. I looked at these on eBay. Look very extreme for a little kid. Looking for something very simple and basic but lots of torque to go in the grass. Seems that does not exist.

Thanks
Rodney

I don't think there is much else other than the smaller scale redcat crawlers that will be low range like what you're looking for and he might be a little young for something that advanced but he will still enjoy it and will get older.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock