Started on: 03-12-2015 03:45 AM
Replies: 14 (341 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-12-2015 10:29 AM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WTF ?! A doll that uses speech recognition to "talk" to your child, transmit the child's response to the internet where Mattel analyzes the response and uses it "to improve speech recognition (yeh, right !) (and undoubtedly for WHATever else Mattel wants, WHENever Mattel wants). What kind of sick SOB would even THINK about doing something like this. Man, somebody in the government needs to protect kids and stop this $hit NOW.

"Once fully charged and connected to WiFi, Hello Barbie will be able to play interactive games, tell jokes and stories, and collect information about a child’s conversation for future use.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/ne...YaC?ocid=mailsignout

What kind of jokes and stories ?!

What "future use" ?!

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-12-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Man, somebody in the government needs to protect kids and stop this **** NOW.

The parents need to protect the kids, the government has too much control already.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-12-2015).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

The parents need to protect the kids, the government has too much control already.

If it wan't tech stuff, i'd probably agree with you .

What happens when Barbie tells the kid, " I need a car. Tell mommy we need to go to the store and buy a Barbie-mobile. Tell mommy we need to go to the store and buy clothes." The manufacturer decides kids will nag you to death until they get it, so they sell Barbie at cost and mark up the accessories 10 times.

Or Barbie tells the kid "Muslims are bad. They kill people. We should hate them."

Or some hacker makes Barbie say " let's go to the park and meet my friend Ted Bundy; mommy won't mind. or "Unlock the door and let my friends come into the house so we can play."

Now they're gonna use kids as a psychology experiment - exploit innocent children ?!!

The problem is that these are the same kind of unscrupulous friggin' compu-weenies that will make and develop products with "background" technologies to gather and analyze info to treat the rest of us like friggin' animals for their own profit and benefit.

This is done, of course, behind your back and under an innocent pretext. The capabilities of these seemingly innocent toys and appliances aren't fully spelled out or disclosed - even if it is, it's in fine print somewhere. I wouldn't expect parents or anyone else to be able to make sense of manufacturers deliberately disguising their products or to do all the homework that might let them find out.

Like the friggin' TVs that can be operated using speech recognition but connect to the internet, and send your commands and other info about you and your family to the manufacturer for analysis so the results can be sold.

http://www.techlicious.com/...dels-raise-concerns/

"Samsung’s 2012 top-of-the-line plasma and LED HDTVs offer new features never before available within a television including a built-in, internally-wired HD camera, twin microphones, face tracking and speech recognition."

"And unlike other TVs, which have cameras and microphones as add-on accessories connected by a single, easily removable USB cable, you can't just unplug these sensors."

"During our demo, unless the face recognition learning feature was activated, there was no indication as to whether the camera (such as a red light) and audio mics are on. And as far as the microphone is concerned, there is no way to physically disconnect it or be assured it is not picking up your voice when you don’t intend it to do so."

"While these features give you unprecedented control over an HDTV, HD Guru is reporting that the devices themselves, more similar than ever to a personal computer, may allow hackers or even Samsung to see and hear you and your family, and collect extremely personal data. And I would add "without your Knowledge OR Consent ! "

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You think that is bad, all you facebook people hear this.
http://www.webpronews.com/f...listens-2015-02#more

This prob needs it own post

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 03-12-2015).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

You think that is bad, all you facebook people hear this.
http://www.webpronews.com/f...listens-2015-02#more

This prob needs it own post

Yep. (from your linked article):

"So I drew up a test to test my theory- Does Instagram actually listen to my conversation just while scrolling through photos?

I would turn on the mic, mentioning a list of random words that I had wrote down…. Bulldozer, cucumbers, the louvre, Maserati, hiking in the Yukon, African Safari vacation, and a few other random words/terms that had nothing to do with my Facebook interests.

Sure enough, two hours later I was getting ads for Gold Coast Maserati, and African Vacations, also ads for art museums, and climbing."

My thoughts:

So what happens when that info goes to the feds. Mike is planning to travel to Africa. TSA should be alerted for possible priority scan for ebola. Then facial scanning alerts them as soon as Mike walks into the airport. Also alert his health insurance carriers so they can consider raising his premiums due to these increased risks.

How about Mikes affection for Maserati being transmitted to the insurance database so ALL insurance carriers become aware of Mike's bad driving record and pre-screen him.

How about Mike's mention of the louvre and his prior arrest as a teen for petty theft being transmitted to INTERPOL as a possible threat for a buglary of the museum.

Mike mentions "crack" in his drywall to a friend, the phone picks it up and the info is transmitted to his employer and he gets "randomly" drug tested every few days for the next month. His US mail gets flooded with pamphlets from Rehab clinics and his wife or girlfriend wants to know what's up. He starts to get phone calls on cell, at home and at work from counsellors, clinics and non-profit agencies offering confidential services.

What happens when Mike Smith mentions "6-pack abs" over the phone to his trainer and another guy in the same or nearby city with the same name gets arrested for drunk and disorderly; Mike's potential employer finds out during a routine background check, assumes it's Mike 'cause the database says he was talking about 6-packs the night before and the employer immediately rejects him for a teaching job but merely tells him "we selected another candidate".

And these examples assume the speech recognition even TRANSLATES THE WORDS CORRECTLY. Who gets alerted and what happens when Mikes says "my momma" and the speech recognition transmits that Mike said "Obama" ?!

This $hit can get out of hand at light speed and "normal" people would never know how it happened or what to do about it.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
How about this:

Someone on Pennock's makes a post about buying an AK-47. They mention it in a phone conversation, which corroborates the post. Someone in the same city holds up a convenience store using an AK-47; they've got a description of the gun from the clerk and a picture from surveillence. Now the police are knocking or your door or coming to see you at work asking questions and wanting to see the AK you just bought. They can even pull you over while you travel 'cause they scan for your license plate, or find you on vacation, or at a friend's house.

OK. i just scared myself into not thinking about his anymore ......

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you said AK so much, the next AK shooting in LA, they will be knocking at your door, and being LA that should be in about 3 min.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since you said AK so much, the next AK shooting in LA, they will be knocking at your door, and being LA that should be in about 3 min.

Can i sleep on your couch ? Hide me from the choppers !

Actually your example might not be that far off. Mentioning "AK-47" six times in 15 minutes sends out the alert. Then what happens if some FBI Psychologist profiler says that mass murderers mention the name of their weapon to close friends and family before the crime. Now you've implicated your whole social network and everyone is getting tapped. Or even worse, one of your friends (or someone the feds THINK is your friend) does this and it gets YOU on the hot list .

All these databases being inter-linked, and high speed computers performing analyses using speech recognition, facial scanning and artificial intelligence (and NONE of it is infallible)..... now TVs, appliances and kids' toys are being used for data collection to feed the databases. What kind of stories is Barbie telling my kid ?! Man, this looks like a HUGE recipe for disaster to me.

See I told you, I need to stop thinking about this ......

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now what what happens if some FBI Psychologist profiler didn't think of that and now reads your post, and starts thinking about it, now that ak-47 and FBI and AKs and mass murders keeps coming up, since you made him think of it now you may be first on the list, if there was a list but now that the FBI reads this and thinks a list is a good idea...now at the top of a newly created list.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I bet if we keep this up, the ads on the top and bottom of PFF will be gun stores
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bet if we keep this up, the ads on the top and bottom of PFF will be gun stores

The ads are one thing. Not only are they everywhere you look, but they have no holds barred in terms of truth (ESPECIALLY on tech items) and even decency (exploiting kids with cancer and their families for donations, HD close-ups of acne and toe nail disease; do I need an example of the cleansing ability of toilet paper or told to "enjoy the go" !?). This is now an annoyance, but quickly becoming an offensive intrusion.

But what happens when all the government databases are combined and searchable at super high speed from any location (like a vehicle) ? What happens when it becomes cost effective to enforce EVERY law on the books ? No crime is too small, and no one gets away because it can generate HUGE dollars. License plate light out - technology makes an open and shut case, mails you the fine, and if you don't pay someone comes to get you wherever you are. Or you're locked out of everything you need to live a normal life until you pay - no checking, no ATM, no credit, no more anything. Littering, spit on the sidewalk, jay walking ... same thing. Parking tickets, speeding - almost already there.

Now what happens when the ad databases are expanded by collecting data from inside your home and car, your conversations, your appliances, your kids' toys and an internet you are increasingly being forced to use (try applying for a job), and combined with the government databases ?! Let's add speech recognition, facial scanning, body movement lie detection scanning, artificial intelligence, surplus military equipment in the hands of local law enforcement, public fear fed by opportunistic politicians using world affairs and instability as tools ....

This IS the fourth Reich and it's coming from the people who were SUPPOSED to be the good guys ..... Hitler, Himmler and Goebbels would be impressed.

PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder when Barbie will be able to feed and wipe the child....
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This IS the fourth Reich and it's coming from the people who were SUPPOSED to be the good guys ..... Hitler, Himmler and Goebbels would be impressed.

Impressed? I think they'd be more like

[This message has been edited by fierohobby (edited 03-12-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-12-2015 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTF ?! A doll that uses speech recognition to "talk" to your child, transmit the child's response to the internet where Mattel analyzes the response and uses it "to improve speech recognition (yeh, right !) (and undoubtedly for WHATever else Mattel wants, WHENever Mattel wants). What kind of sick SOB would even THINK about doing something like this. Man, somebody in the government needs to protect kids and stop this $hit NOW.

"Once fully charged and connected to WiFi, Hello Barbie will be able to play interactive games, tell jokes and stories, and collect information about a child’s conversation for future use.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/ne...YaC?ocid=mailsignout

What kind of jokes and stories ?!

What "future use" ?!

I'm torn on this,,
The doll keeps little sally, in her own little world while mommy cooks dinner.
And because it's more likely that the child will confide with their doll,and mattel would have to report any context of words that could be abuse. The police could let the doll do all the work to catch a person diddling a kid.. or one beating the living crap out of the child..
The problem with that is I can see a girl that gets a light tap on the butt for acting up, parents ending up on the police "radar"..
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yet everyone loves Siri etc... Siri, Cortana, Nuance/Dragon NaturallySpeaking and others all use "The Cloud" to "to improve speech recognition" etc and no-one knows exactly what data is send to the companies. Nuance NaturallySpeaking does give you the option to disable reporting to Nuance.

Very likely Barbie use Nuance embedded software... Many Feature and Smart phones and other things use Nuance software.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock