Started on: 01-14-2015 08:43 PM
Replies: 13 (315 views)
Last post by: heybjorn on 01-15-2015 10:46 AM
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I finally broke down and bought a few 3D printed items from Shapeways. Each of the items was printed in "WSF" (White, Strong & Flexible - and yes Mike, I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere.)

When the package arrived, I noticed that the items had a rough texture which I was expecting based on the images I'd seen online. What came more as a surprise to me however was just how much powder comes off at the slightest touch. Which leads me to a few questions for those in the 3D printing know:

1) Is this dusting an aftereffect of the printing process? I realize the pieces are formed via that very same dust plus some sort of glue, but are these items going to exfoliate printer powder the entire time I have them, or is it more of a coating from the process which once cleaned off, won't return?

2) Is this dusting harmful in anyway? I can't imagine that breathing any kind of plastic/petroleum-based dust could be good for you, but will we be reading in the news 30 years from now about how 3D printer dust was the "asbestos of the 21st century?" I know I'm overreacting, but I'm trying to decide if all of the superfine sanding I plan to do and painting should be done in my garage instead of the office in my home. Overall the detail is pretty impressive, the pieces are delicate (I ordered some aircraft miniatures) but strong for their thin size, and can be handled without breaking.

I can't wait for 3 or 4 generations of 3D printers from now where they can print in color, the "resolution" of the print job is so fine as to be almost invisible to the naked eye, etc etc.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"3D Printer Dust"
That is the very first time I have ever heard or read that term.
Welcome to the future!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-14-2015).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

"3D Printer Dust"
That is the very first time I have ever heard or read that term.
Welcome to the future!

Merely a layman's attempt to describe what he sees in ways he can understand. But yeah, 2015 is wicked awesome.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The items I have from 3D printer don't have any dust, and some of them are very smooth and shiny--smooth like plexiglas, except not clear. One, is very reflective to light.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're not supposed to breath that, you are supposed to snort it.

Come on Boonie, I don't believe you didn't catch that one !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There shouldn't be any dust, really... are the parts PLA or ABS?

The leftover filament is akin to sawdust(not to physical properties, just that's what you end up with...)

If you use ABS, open a window! And I don't suggest you stick around, either!

I suggest using PLA unless you are printing something you will use a LOT.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12468 posts
Member since Jan 2012
ABS = lego plastic. That stuff smells when you meltify it

Probably about as good as sniffin' glue and spray paint...

We use PLA mostly.. it smalls like maple syrup when ya melt it.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12468 posts
Member since Jan 2012
BTW, I keep posting this because it drives me crazy- the extruder on the newer makerbots are NOT user-servicable!!!!
That's disgustingly cposed-source(and expensive!) 175 a pop!
I heard about it awhile ago, it turned my stomach.

I just got an email about it this morning , they made it sound like that's a good thing...

Booooo

Watch "print the legend" on netflix

xoxo

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12468 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Some of the newer ones have amazing print resolutions, almost mirror-finish. Mine can go down to .1 mm, it's nice. I think the ones MJ has are .2 or .4 ...
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

... 3D printer dust was the "asbestos of the 21st century?"

If it was printed in China, it probably IS asbestos (but the profit margin was good)
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Z-Corp makes a line of machines that employ an "inkjet" style head that shoots a liquid binder into a powder media.
It sounds from your description that this is how your parts were produced.
I've had a number of these parts made for me in the past. They looked like they were made from children's Play-Doh clay.
Compared to SLA or fused deposition machines, the resolution is poor and the surface finish is usually grainy.
They do have a powder that rubs off for awhile unless they were covered with a finish coating. (I've even seen some use cyanoacrylate, a/k/a "super glue" to finish coat the entire part.)
As far as toxicity, I don't know, but I don't recommend inhaling it.

Video of the process.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-15-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

If it was printed in China, it probably IS asbestos (but the profit margin was good)

It was printed in New York.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flamberge

4268 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by randye:

Z-Corp makes a line of machines that employ an "inkjet" style head that shoots a liquid binder into a powder media.
It sounds from your description that this is how your parts were produced.
I've had a number of these parts made for me in the past. They looked like they were made from children's Play-Doh clay.
Compared to SLA or fused deposition machines, the resolution is poor and the surface finish is usually grainy.
They do have a powder that rubs off for awhile unless they were covered with a finish coating. (I've even seen some use cyanoacrylate, a/k/a "super glue" to finish coat the entire part.)
As far as toxicity, I don't know, but I don't recommend inhaling it.

Video of the process.

I agree that thus is probably what I've got. I wiped the excess dust from the table and will sand and paint in the garage with the door open and a mask.

Thanks for the info everyone!
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I finally broke down and bought a few 3D printed items from Shapeways. Each of the items was printed in "WSF"

We Stuck Flamberge

but are these items going to exfoliate printer powder the entire time I have them

No, because something can exfoliate only if has if has cells, ie, is living tissue.

I can't imagine that breathing any kind of plastic/petroleum-based dust could be good for you,

Good thinking

I know I'm overreacting, but I'm trying to decide if all of the superfine sanding I plan to do and painting should be done in my garage instead of the office in my home.

I would. Maybe even wearing a surgical mask and with a fan blowing the dust away from me.

Originally posted by PaulJK:

It was printed in New York.

Probably is asbestos, then.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock