Started on: 12-18-2014 02:21 PM
Replies: 39 (579 views)
Last post by: yellowstone on 12-19-2014 05:04 PM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.theguardian.com/...ility-eu-court-rules

The estimates are two thirds of this country are obese. If they were to rule in this country that obesity was a disability, that would effectively mean that two thirds of the country would have a possibility of going on disability. One third of the country would be working to support the other two thirds.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 12-18-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And people wonder why they cant find "jobs" and companies only hire "contractors"
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"What difference does it make?" America China will just make the chairs that our drone pilots sit in wider.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

"What difference does it make?" America China will just make the chairs that our drone pilots sit in wider.

At some point we wont have any manned aircraft, and they will be autonomous..
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Oh you can tell a navigator by his ass. Oh you can tell a navigator by his ass. Cuz it's thirty meters wide and getting wider by the wide, oh you can tell a navigator by his ass." lol

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

http://www.theguardian.com/...ility-eu-court-rules

The estimates are two thirds of this country are obese. If they were to rule in this country that obesity was a disability, that would effectively mean that two thirds of the country would have a possibility of going on disability. One third of the country would be working to support the other two thirds.

Calm down, Whade. Right now about half the country is working to support the other half. So, going from 50% to 66% would only be a small increase. We can deal with that. At least, you can. I'm going to have a snack...
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes me wonder if that ratio is true here on PFF. I myself have been officially declared obese by my doctor.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, I have been too and I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. I've at least been declared overweight. Not necessarily obese. I think the federal standards say I should weight something like 150 lbs. No wonder they consider most of the country overweight. According to the federal standards, we should all be string beans.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, obesity is a disability. I think we all know that.
I dont think that is quite the issue. if you saw your own leg off, yes, you now have a disability. but - that doesnt really help you any, being a self inflected disability.
I will admit there are some who are obese and it is not self inflicted. but, I do beleive that is a small amount.
but - how can that be determined?

I am sure the insurance industry will work this out.

and, as it stands right now - we already pay a "healthy" amount in insulin and knee/hip repair for these folk
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering if, down the road, say fifteen or twenty years, the obese will somehow become a protected class. It seems like a ridiculous statement now, but you never know anymore.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm wondering if, down the road, say fifteen or twenty years, the obese will somehow become a protected class. It seems like a ridiculous statement now, but you never know anymore.

Well if you are fat at 6'3 and 185 I would be fat Albert at 5'9 185. Do they take in account for muscle mass are body fat. And if the government makes any more protected classes of people than they already have now good luck to the tax payers of the USA.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 12-18-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

Do they take in account for muscle mass are body fat.

When I was at my heaviest at 202 lbs, it was solid muscle as I had just tested for my black belt. This was in 1996. I remember my doctor being concerned about my weight then because, according to federal standards, I was overweight. So at least back then they didn't consider muscle mass. That must mean the Mr. and Mrs. Olympia are porkers. lol

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe they already are in the state of Michigan. You can't be fired just because you're fat. But this is only hearsay, I haven't researched it.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm, I have been too and I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. I've at least been declared overweight. Not necessarily obese. I think the federal standards say I should weight something like 150 lbs. No wonder they consider most of the country overweight. According to the federal standards, we should all be string beans.

Damn really? I'm 6' 1" and my weight varies between 160 to 175. My doctor says my weight is good. 32" waist and all. My weight is vastly muscle though with the work I do.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fat = disability check?
I see alot of folks eating alot of donuts and burgers soon upon hearing this.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Fat = disability check?
I see alot of folks eating alot of donuts and burgers soon upon hearing this.

Tried it... Still didn't gain weight. I've never been able to get over 176 with my shoes and clothes on.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. I've at least been declared overweight.

I find that incredibly difficult to believe. Who declared this, what figures are they following, and who put them out?

Seeing as I'm 6'3" as well, but a whopping 190 lbs, I'm afraid of being called "Porky" now.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Porky the Toad sounds like a good name for a movie. Or an action hero.

[This message has been edited by heybjorn (edited 12-18-2014).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Part of the problem is bmi. At 5'10" and 270 lbs I'm fat and need to loose about 50 lbs but I'm far from disabled. I have a large upper body that carries more muscle, if I was a healthy weight according to bmi I'd look very unhealthy. My bmi is 38.7

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 12-18-2014).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6' and 210...but not happy about it. Trying to get down to 185 but the meds I'm taking have all but shut my metabolism down. I have a BMI of about 28...so at least I'm only overweight.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/b...culator/itt-20084938

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 12-18-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Come on now, if we all get fat there wont be any screwing.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm obese, and I didn't need no doctor to tell me!
I like to think of it as a herald to my opulence!

"Yeah, I'm all that AND a phat heart!"
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At 5'10", my ideal weight is about 170. Too skinny, IMHO. I haven't weighed that little since I was about 14 or 15.
My "comfortable" weight is 175-180. I'm at 253 as of this morning. I've lost 10 lbs but gained a little bit of it back, over the past few days. (Ate dinner out, two nights in a row.)
At this point, my goal is 200. We shall see.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm, I have been too and I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. I've at least been declared overweight.

That's BS. Check out the CDC BMI calculator:

For the information you entered:
Height: 6 feet, 3 inches
Weight: 185 pounds
Your BMI is 23.1, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height.
For your height, a normal weight range would be from 148 to 199 pounds.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 5'11" and I weigh 140 lbs. I eat Subway every day evening (I work 5+ nights a week) and haven't gained anything, sadly. I'm 17.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

That's BS. Check out the CDC BMI calculator:

For the information you entered:
Height: 6 feet, 3 inches
Weight: 185 pounds
Your BMI is 23.1, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height.
For your height, a normal weight range would be from 148 to 199 pounds.

That's now. Back in 1996, the only thing I was shown was that, at my height, I needed to be a certain weight. Not sure when they started using BMI, but I do know that my doc still wants me to lose weight. I always look her in the eye and asked "Are you serious?" We laugh and I pay at the front desk.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes they have lowered the standards for 'overweight' over the years. its a conspiracy for funding ( kidding )
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I'm 5'11" and I weigh 140 lbs. I eat Subway every day evening (I work 5+ nights a week) and haven't gained anything, sadly. I'm 17.

You will. Dont worry.. you will.. And when you do you will look around and think 'wtf just happened'..

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Fat toads are on the endangered list in the US and Canada there for Patrick is entitled to disability, lol !
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... that would effectively mean that two thirds of the country would have a possibility of going on disability. One third of the country would be working to support the other two thirds.

No need to wait.

65 Percent of Children Live in Households on Federal Aid Programs

The Census Bureau reported in a study released this week that 65 percent of American children lived in households taking aid from one or more federal program as of the fall of 2011.

"Almost two-thirds (65 percent) of children," said the Census Bureau, "lived in households that participated in at least one or more of the following government aid programs: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), Medicaid, and the National School Lunch Program."

How to be dependent on government is now one of the earliest life lessons America is teaching nearly a supermajority of children.

http://www.cnsnews.com/comm...federal-aid-programs
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My old boss owned over 1million in land and lived in a 600k+ house. Medicare paid for all four of his children to be born because he never married the mother of his children despite living as husband and wife, his residence was listed separate from his "wife" so they could get around some legal stuff.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had some silly machine measure my body fat % this morning, just for the hell of it. It showed how much of my mass was without fat; i thought it pretty dang accurate, considering what I weighed in the past when I didn't have an ounce of fat on my body. Anyway, at ~20% body fat by weight, I'm supposedly in the "acceptable" range, yet according to the BMI chart, I am "overweight". I am over-weight. If I lost a good 20lbs, I'd have a reasonable level of fat on my body. For my long, lean build, the BMI chart seems reasonable. For someone who actually has wider shoudlers and more muscle, the thing it out to lunch.

At any rate, they need to get these two different measurements of "health" to line up better, and/or take other things in to consideration. We're not all designed to be bean poles.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Originally posted by davylong86:

Fat toads are on the endangered list in the US and Canada, therefore Patrick is entitled to disability, lol !

If I was built like my avatar, I'd be disabled for sure.

The original Toady image (that my avatar was made from)... taken while up the coast eight years ago.

Yeah, I can see him being an action hero.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-19-2014).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exodus chapter 8

Pharoah would have been thrilled to have the frogs back when the plague of flies came. Talk about your action movies! Of course, when the flies were gone, and the amphibians were big to move from eating them, and died where they were, well . . .

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Come on now, if we all get fat there wont be any screwing.

There will still be government and cell service companies.

[This message has been edited by heybjorn (edited 12-19-2014).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People don't realize that "fat" and "muscle" have different weight densities. Hence one can be skinny and overweight.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

My old boss owned over 1million in land and lived in a 600k+ house. Medicare paid for all four of his children to be born because he never married the mother of his children despite living as husband and wife, his residence was listed separate from his "wife" so they could get around some legal stuff.

Interesting how he got around child support laws.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

People don't realize that "fat" and "muscle" have different weight densities. Hence one can be skinny and overweight.

This.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, the current simple "BMI" is pretty much junk. I would hope by now there is a more accurate system.
if not, I would propose using buoyancy as part of the formula.
back in my late 20s & early 30s, when I was on my way to being a fatty, I was pretty buoyant.
now, I am still not down below 200 (6'3"), I am much less bouyant.

but, still not sure how this would actually be measured...so...wtf...
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

but, still not sure how this would actually be measured...so...wtf...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_weighing

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock