Started on: 12-17-2014 06:20 PM
Replies: 12 (294 views)
Last post by: Fats on 12-31-2014 06:53 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh Crap, anyone got any recommendations for a new Laptop Screen. Normally when someone comes to me with a busted laptop screen and if its more than a year or 2 old, I tell them to strip it for parts and junk it. However when I bought this a few years ago, it was TOP of the Line Bleeding Edge, as I knew I wanted to keep it for a while. At the time I think I paid just over $2000 for it after taxes and warranty. This is still fast enough to warrant at least investigating repairs, its an I7, with 8gb dd3 ram, twin hard drives, (SSD primary drive and 500gb secondary storage) ATI Graphics, USB3 HDMI, Gig Network, and Wireless N. Bio-metric fingerprint login. (which I love) Only thing its missing is built in Bluetooth. However I have a micro usb bluetooth that plugs into one of the 4 USB ports. Its an HP DV7 6195us Pretty much an all in one desktop replacement. I use it when I am out on the road or more recently when I am at the hospital with the my daughters for extended periods. I don't know how it got broken, it was fine when we were at the hospital 2 days ago and I packed it up, and broken by the time I un-packed it at home. Possibly got tossed around in the Blazer. Pics are included. Can anyone get me a price on a replacement screen. I have done some digging on ebay for OEM stock replacements at around 100 bucks. They are stock 1600x900 res screens. Kinda curious if I can get a better 1920x1080 for it. It may not be worth it to try and upgrade the screen, but figured I might ask some of the people that do more work on laptops than I do. I build a lot of high end desktop rigs, but very rarely do anything more than Hard Drive swaps or ram upgrades in laptops. I think I changed out a screen inverter once 10+ years ago.

So can any recommend where to buy a replacement screen and how much it will cost me.

Next question, does anyone have any idea how much of a pain it will be to tear apart an HP Laptop.

Well pics are here,

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They wanted about 250 to replace the screen on my Isus touch-screen laptop a couple months ago....I said screw that (I didnt pay that much more than 250 for it) and run it via the HDMI or VGA onto a regular monitor or TV (depends where in the house). It works just fine with a keyboard and mouse that way (basically turned it into a desktop). I have a couple more laptops if I need portability.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What model number is it?

For example: 2570p

I doubt you can get a higher resolution screen for it.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever screen you have now is what you need to replace it with. Laptop parts don't inter-change. Check E-bay, that's where I have gotten all the screens I had to replace. Get it from a vendor with good ratings, I've never had a problem with them yet. One even gave me free return shipping on one that I made a mistake one.
PS, some HP's used different screens on the same models, one was an LCD and the other was a CFCC. You may need to pop the old screen out first and check the numbers on the back of the old one. Utube has videos that will show you how to get it out.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 12-17-2014).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last photo was of the model and serial number, model # DV7-6195us Product ID LW170UA#ABA

I have a 1/2 dozen spare LCD monitors kicking around, however its used for portability, it has the extra large battery so I can get 8hrs of High Performance Mode use, or 2-3 days of Power Saving mode and low use from a single charge. Battery pack is so big the hump in the pack acts like an elevated rest, creating a 1" air gap under the laptop at the back. Its got the Beats Audio and I think they routed the deeper pitched audio in that space as well.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen some laptops that could have several different part number LCD panels for the same model. They *may* interchange, but I'd recommend pulling the broken LCD panel and getting the actual part number off the part itself. Then hit up eBay.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've bought a few on ebay...$100 shipped. They were all great quality and easy to change.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I've bought a few on ebay...$100 shipped. They were all great quality and easy to change.

Ebay is where I've gotten replacement screens too.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so'll hit up the great online resource for taking $hit apart, aka YouTube, then hit up the largest flea market aka E-Bay and hopefully find one reasonably priced that will ship to the Great White North which oddly enough is warmer than most of the mid west United States. LOL, this is going to be loads of fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, once I get it all pulled apart, I'll post how the job goes, and ask questions before I break stuff.

------------------

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Local computer store (www.microcenter.com) sells the replacement 17.3 inch WXGA+ screen for 84 bucks.
It takes about twenty minutes to swap that LCD out on that laptop, and can be done by anyone with basic tool skills.

http://www.microcenter.com/...cement_Laptop_Screen

Find your HP Spare number on the back of the LCD after removing it, it should be one of the two numbers here: HP 612094-001, HP 641395-001
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And the Winner goes to The Man, My Friend, The One know knows his Ram from his Rom, The CPU Cumputer Geek Himself, Synthesis.......... CHEER CLAP CHEER

My actual number is 641629-001 but its interchangeable with the one you posted. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h..._nkw=641629&_sacat=0

I got it tore apart today to verify which one it was, I went ahead and put it back together still broken as I don't want to leave it laying around for the couple weeks it will take for a replacement to arrive and end up loosing parts on the bench. I did sent a note off to "The Hackery" http://www.thehackery.ca/ here in Vancouver as they do a lot of stripping for parts with laptops and might have a replacement sitting on the shelf. However they won't be open till the 6th of January. They have been good to me in the past with inverters for nearly antique P3 laptops. Hopefully they get back to me before then via email so I can either start the order process online or be ready when they open the doors to go and get what I need from them.

Its not like the laptop is vital its just an away from home desktop replacement and not my primary rig. However when I am away from home and don't have a laptop I start to go through computer withdrawal. My android tablet just does not cut it.
Well here are the days pics.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When repairing laptops I always goto ebay.. The best bet is try to find the entire lid assembly if you can, easier to replace sometimes.

------------------
86 Fiero GT: 3800sc/Manual, Cam/Mods.

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the laptop, I've found different types of screens available.

Brad

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock