Started on: 11-14-2014 12:35 AM
Replies: 18 (545 views)
Last post by: gldkarma on 11-16-2014 01:17 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently got a promotion at work that required relocating to Silicon Valley. The company was willing to pay for the move, BUT were only willing to ship ONE CAR. I asked how much it would cost to ship an additional car, and got quotes of anywhere from $2000-3000.

So, drive the Fiero, or the less than a year old car with 5000 miles on it?

Hmm... I've been burned on the Fiero breaking down on a 10 hour drive from New Jersey to Traverse City, so...

I planned the trip to California out on the family computer

35 hours, split into 4 days: Canton MI to Omaha, NE: Omaha to Rock Springs, Wyoming: Wyoming to Reno, Nevada: And finally, Reno to Fremont, California. 10 hours a day for 3 days, and an easy 4 hours the final day. (Or so I thought)

I've driven I-80 from Maumee, Ohio to the east coast in New Jersey, so I felt it would be appropriate to take I-80 the other way. So the journey started.

-Day 1-

Canton Michigan to Omaha, Nebraska

Drove two miles to work

Reset the trip odometer to zero to record my mileage for the expense report, and to see what kind of fuel mileage the car would get. Left Canton MI at 10:30 AM EST

Drove down to Maumee, and got onto I-80, and I thought you could just keep going straight, you know, just follow the signs. Took a wrong turn somewhere around Chicago...

That only added several hours to an already long day. Pulled into the Candlewood Suites hotel in Omaha at 11:30 PM CST.

-Day 2-

Next day, the most boring, god awful drive ever. For those who've never been, Nebraska has two things: dirt, and wind. And that's all you ever see.

FUN FACT: nobody in Nebraska outside of Omaha seems to carry high octane gasoline. So I had to run the car on non-premium fuel for the first time ever, and turn off the boost, which made merging onto the freeway with the short on-ramps real fun.

Once you hit Wyoming, you start to feel like you're actually out west, and there are some nice sights, and interesting rock formations.

Finally got to the next hotel, the Holiday Inn Express in Rock Springs, Wyoming, at roughly 8:30 PM mountain time (MT).

-Day 3-

The next day, Rock Springs, Wyoming to Reno, Nevada. THIS was the interesting part of the drive. Salt Lake City, Utah, is basically next to a cliff face, and you spend a great deal of time driving down some massive hills and steep winding roads. All the time you spend driving uphill across several states, you spend plummeting down in this area. At the bottom, once you get out of town, is the great salt lake. This is quite a sight. Even more impressive, is one of the longest straight roads in the world, across the Bonneville Salt Flats. 50 miles long, across absolutely nothing.

At the end, just before the Nevada border, is a sign pointing to the right, to Bonneville Speedway. It wasn't what I expected. You turn down the road, drive for about 3 miles, and it just suddenly ends

The salt is an interesting surface to drive on, not what I expected. It's like soft cement

This time of the year, much of the surface is flooded, but there are still some dry areas you can drive on.

Crossed the Nevada border, and drove to Reno, and the world's worst Holiday Inn.

-Day 4-

Started out fine, got in the car, started driving, and suddenly the TPMS light came on. Pulled over into a gas station, checked the tire pressures, and they were all 2 psi down at worst. Figured it was possibly the spare, or just a fluke, and kept driving.

It kept getting colder and colder. Eventually there was snow. And more snow. And it was snowing. There was obviously several fresh inches of snow. Driving through the snow covered mountains, on more 5% grades, over black ice, with semi trucks doing 20mph with the hazards on, many pulling over to put chains on.

I pulled over to fill up on gas. At what turned out to be 'Donner Pass'. Not a good sign... Checked the tire pressures again, no change after half an hour. So I decided to go for it.

Passed snowplows, people who pulled over, a two-car wreck, and made it out. As quickly as it appeared, as you descend in elevation the snow vanishes, and the temperature rises quickly. Before I knew it, it was 66 F and sunny. What a weird climate...

Drove to the end of I-80 in San Francisco, and south to the finish line in Fremont.

Total distance: 2500.6 miles. Spent just under $400 in gasoline, and $100 in food.

Once the Fiero was delivered, I drove it over there for a photo-op. I've been driving it every few days. There are quite a few car guys there, and they like the car

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the move and promotion! Looks like you've been hard at work
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! That's a really nice area of the country. I hope you got a good raise to pay for the housing.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I plan on doing a fiero road trip with my son once we get our sh!t together and get our projects finished.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you made it to sunny California all right. I can understand the little mishap going towards Wisconsin. The I-80 route through that area is really messed up even for someone who goes through there a few times a year. It is funny though.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also live in San Jose but I work just one exit up from Tesla on Automall Parkway.
What part of San Jose do you live in now ?I am near San Jose City College.
Kit
heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I planned the trip to California out on the family computer

You know you look just like Chevy Chase? Bet you hear that a lot, right?

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

You know you look just like Chevy Chase? Bet you hear that a lot, right?

Chevy who?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I also live in San Jose but I work just one exit up from Tesla on Automall Parkway.
What part of San Jose do you live in now ?I am near San Jose City College.
Kit

North San Jose, by Cisco Systems.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a fun trip to take.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a long journey... I remember back when you where having trouble finding a job and look where you are now!
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

It has been a long journey... I remember back when you where having trouble finding a job and look where you are now!

I got lucky, someone finally gave me a chance. I used the opportunity to work my ass off, and am now doing well. All the guys I graduated with are still looking for work, or underemployed.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome story.

You took the best route for the trip most of the year, but from early fall to late spring I would have went south to 40 for at least part of it and avoided Donner.

Brad
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I had known you were stopping in Omaha, we could have gotten together and had a beer or dinner...of course, as late as you got in, you probably weren't interested in anything but hitting the rack! There IS high octane outside of Omaha...you just have to know where to look. I-80 across Nebraska IS one boring drive...but you're following the Platte River the whole way across, so you're right in the bottom of the river valley. If you'd gone North of the Interstate, there are some interesting highways to drive, and it isn't as flat as the Interstate would make you believe. Anyway, congrats on the new job...I see it's in Fremont. I also live in Fremont...but in Nebraska, not California....
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chicago wants to put you on a toll road to anywhere if possible.

I still don't know how to get to I-80 from O'Hare without using a toll road.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
welcome to northern California. there is a good fiero group called golden gate fieros they dont post here much mainly on a yahoo group.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got to ask, who gets to park their cars under the tents?

Congrats on the move and new job !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I asked how much it would cost to ship an additional car, and got quotes of anywhere from $2000-3000.

$2-3k to ship a car from MI to PRC? What have they been smoking? I can ship a broken down bus (mid '80s MCI) on a double drop trailer (exclusive...no other cargo) from San Diego to northern Indiana for under a grand. You can have a car shipped overseas for that kind of money.

gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome to NorCal! Enjoyed your travel post! That's about right for this time of year. Lucky you beat the blizzard going through Wyoming!

We have some Golden Gate Fiero events coming up and would love to have you join us! Kitskaboodle is our club president, so you already have a friend from the Forum here. This afternoon we are going to meet for dinner at 4:30 at an Italian place called Bocce at 478 Green St. in North Beach, San Francisco. Ask for 'Fiero Club.' Tuesday night is our monthly meeting at 7:00 at Coco's restaurant, 1206 Oakmead Parkway, in Sunnyvale, just south of 101 and Lawrence Expressway. We're usually in the meeting room in the back. We are planning our annual Christmas Party at fierobear's in Hollister for Sunday, December 14.

And yes, not many read and post regular here, but we have a Yahoo! Group page for Golden Gate Fieros. You can go to the page link and read the posts and sign up to get messages and/or post back at: Golden Gate Fieros Yahoo! page

Look forward to hearing more from you and seeing you soon!

Jeannie

[This message has been edited by gldkarma (edited 11-16-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock