Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  2 Things You Never Heard About McDonald's Monopoly...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
2 Things You Never Heard About McDonald's Monopoly... by Boondawg
Started on: 10-07-2014 02:25 PM
Replies: 17 (492 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-09-2014 12:41 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1. In 2000, the US promotion was halted after fraud was uncovered. A subcontracting company called Simon Marketing (a then-subsidiary of Cyrk), which had been hired by McDonald's to organize and promote the game, failed to recognize a flaw in its procedures.

Chief of security Jerome P. Jacobson was able to remove the most expensive game pieces, which he then passed to associates who would redeem them and share the proceeds. The associates won almost all of the top prizes between 1995 and 2000, including McDonald's giveaways that did not have the Monopoly theme. The associates netted over $24 million.

While the fraud appeared to have been perpetrated by only one key employee of the promotion company, and not by the company's management, eight people were originally arrested, leading to a total of 21 indicted individuals. The relationship between McDonald's and Simon Marketing broke down in a pair of lawsuits over breach of contract, eventually settled out of court, with McDonald's' claim being thrown out and Simon receiving $16.6 million. Due to a constitutional violation, four of those convicted of the fraud were later released as they were not initially charged with the offense.

2. In 1995, St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee received an anonymous letter postmarked Dallas, Texas, containing a $1 million winning game piece. Although game rules prohibited the transfer of prizes, McDonald's waived the rule and made its last $50,000 annual payment in 2014. Investigations later indicated that Jacobson had admitted to sending the winning piece to the hospital.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...d%27s_Monopoly#Fraud

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-07-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute: Simon (the company managing the promotion) defrauded their client and stole almost all of the top prizes...and STILL made 16.6 MILLION dollars- from the same company they ripped off?

How???

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 10-07-2014).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another reason (besides their nasty tasting burgers) not to go to McDonalds.
(Yes, I realize it was the marketing company's employee(s) that did the dastardly deed, but since I don't like McDonald's anyway, I'm stickin' with my rationalization and reasoning--or lack thereof)
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Wait a minute: Simon (the company managing the promotion) defrauded their client and stole almost all of the top prizes...and STILL made 16.6 MILLION dollars- from the same company they ripped off?

How???

Breach of Contract.
I don't have the particulars of what that breach was, though.
Probably wrongfully ending the contract which within this breach was described.
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Another reason (besides their nasty tasting burgers) not to go to McDonalds.
(Yes, I realize it was the marketing company's employee(s) that did the dastardly deed, but since I don't like McDonald's anyway, I'm stickin' with my rationalization and reasoning--or lack thereof)

Whataburger!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lawyers.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
McDonald's, the best laxative on the planet.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No fries for them.
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That article makes me sick. Oh, wait... no, it was the Big Mac.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now we can sue McDonalds for false advertising.
I'll settle for Large coke and a pie once a week for life.
$2.17 large coke and an apple pie.

Don't need nuthin else.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That story is worse that Wiki blurb. Many in the press didn't cover the give away after.

McD spend millions to solve this PR nightmare.
Including Millions in 1 day give away. One winner got 1 million for being at a store when prize patrol drive thru.
Suppose to be anywhere in 48 states... Reality? Not even close.
Was a Big Scam on top of McD's games problems.

Two groups, both started around Chicago I think.
1 drove south and not very far.
1 drove to Boston area. Stopped mostly at stores in east PA, NJ, NY, and Boston area.

McD posted the store's location and time. You could see they drove interstate and stopped stores near by. East was a road trip to Boston. South went down X miles then return on same interstate and visit a few more stores.

Simon Marketing fraud was bad but I very rarely visit McD even now because of this. McD was saying Please forgive us but really a bigger scam By McDonald's. Worse, McD likely made up for the give away for sales bump that day.

Another w/ big history of problems is Publishers Clearing House.
For a start, You May Already Be a Winner! The Story of Publishers Clearing House (Mental Floss)
Google: publishers clearing house lawsuit

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lied to by a marketer. Imagine my surprise.

Edit - Is this dumbass game still going on?
I bought some nuggets and a coke at McDonalds yesterday. The coke had Monopoly pieces attached. (No. I didn't look at them. Couldn't care less.)

BTW... the nuggets were training treats for the dogs. We do Nosework (I call it "find it" class) with them.
The coke was 'cause I was there.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-08-2014).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought you were gonna say you bought coke in the McD parking lot to train the k9 in their nosework and the nuggets were their reward when they found it............

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-08-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get McDs frequently myself. I dont intend to win anything big. Its not a bad deal to get a free sandwich or meal every other stop though. I like Big Macs, 1/4 pndr with cheeze and the Fish sandwich. Their fries do suck...best are Rallys.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And this is a surprise to anyone? Come on they are all rigged by someone in the firm that started the giveaway or the company that promotes it, if you think any of them are on the up and up you are all dumber than a bag of hammers !

There is no place in the business world for character or honesty !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-08-2014).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar asks if the Mc D's game is still going on...

Actually, yes. I just got some game peices on my lunch. (No I didnt buy it, I never turn away free food)

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

How???

McDonald's had one of the kids at the counter handle the transaction ...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Publishers Clearing House is the biggest rip off of all time. They been pulling that scam for 50 years. I played their game one time for the hell of it. I turned in every stamp and envelope they sent me and kept records of everything. You have to do everything by the rules (that are near impossible to follow). I got stuff from them for nearly a year, and even on the final award day, I never heard if anyone won anything. I never spent a dime, but im sure enough did to easily let them give a million dollars to someone...also prob in the promotions company.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock