Started on: 09-11-2014 05:41 PM
Replies: 39 (588 views)
Last post by: Cheever3000 on 09-16-2014 07:30 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... my daughter seems to be obsessed with Texas.

Ever since she was about 3 years old, she talks about it all the time. I have no idea what it is about Texas that she seems to like so much, she's never been there. She keeps saying that that is where she wants us to go for vacation. She tells me at least once a week that when she becomes an adult, she wants to move to Texas (for reference, she's 5 right now). She was telling me the other day how one of her substitute teachers in kindergarten used to live in Texas and she has an accent, and that she used to be a cowgirl (she told me this very excitedly). I've been trying to get her interested in going to Maine to see Acadia National Park (and have some Lobster with Steve), but she just keeps telling me she wants Texas.

So, I'm thinking that just for fun, if I was to plan a trip to Texas, where would YOU go? The place is huge, obviously... I've been to Plano, Addison, Dallas, etc... but only for work, so I've never really spent much time doing anything there. If I was going to drive from Florida (and see some stuff on the way)... how far down and where in Texas would YOU go?

Thanks!

Todd
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been through Dallas and San Antonio. Have met a few people from the Dallas area that have told me its not a bad place. San Antonio would be where I'd go if I were going to vacation though. More tourist-y from what I gather, what with the River Walk, the Alamo, etc...

Its hot as blazes down there, even in the winter months (I was there from late January to early March and it was 80+ degrees outside, worse on the tarmac).

(btw, ygpm on an unrelated note)
Loki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Austin, Dallas or San Antonio.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just go to Texas. Anywhere in Texas! Have fun, enjoy it and see why Texas is Texas.

(not that im biased or anything. lol)
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends--when? Why? *
(It makes a huge difference)

Some of my kids and the grandkids came from Tenn to visit for 2 weeks at the height of the 2011 drought--mid July--temp averaged 103F every day. They haven't been back.
You want her to see the real Texas or the stereotype Texas? Break the bubble her "obsession"--or reinforce it?
If the latter--a visit to Kingsville in the early Spring or mid Fall is in order, or the legendary 6666 Ranch out near Lubbock.

http://www.6666ranch.com/ab...-ranch-visitors.html

http://www.king-ranch.com/visit/daily-ranch-tours/

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 09-11-2014).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just search for all the Roundups, Spring Flings and Ruckuseseses, and see all the cool places they've been to.
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
San Antonio for sure. Riverwalk, Alamo, Hill Country.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I lived in Amarillo for a few months and really enjoyed it. That's cattle country ! The people and the environment just make you feel good . I didn't worry too much when anyone told me something because I could tell they were honest and sincere. Everything was clean with plenty of fresh air, blue sky and sunshine. People were very neighborly and the music is easy to get used to.

Now contrast that with southern california which is an over-crowded, expensive, dirty 3rd world country where you either doubt EVERYTHING or get hurt or killed. Take Texas every time

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 09-11-2014).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hahah, thanks guys... I'm definitely looking to see the country / western aspect of it. Come to think of it though, I'd like to see the Alamo too.

Originally posted by maryjane:

You want her to see the real Texas or the stereotype Texas? Break the bubble her "obsession"--or reinforce it?
If the latter--a visit to Kingsville in the early Spring or mid Fall is in order, or the legendary 6666 Ranch out near Lubbock.

http://www.6666ranch.com/ab...-ranch-visitors.html

http://www.king-ranch.com/visit/daily-ranch-tours/

I definitely do not want to break her bubble... but she's almost excited about Texas as she is My Little Pony (and that's saying a lot). Her favorite pony is Apple Jack (the country one that farms apples and talks with an accent). That King Ranch one looks awesome... I swear I've seen that on the side of a Ford F-250 Pickup!

Thanks for the links!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amarillo is nice--Palo Duro Canyon is a must see in that area.

I like Corpus Christi as well--lots to see and do for both adults and children.

When I have out of state isitors, I learned many years ago not to take them to any metropolitan area--especially if they have kids along. I've been around the world, and as far as big cities go--You see one city, you've pretty much seen them all. I take them to see and DO things they DON'T have in their own backyards.

You can make points with your wife with the sunset horseback ride on Padre Island. There were plenty of young kids along that evening as well as us old folks.
http://www.horsesonthebeachcorpus.com/

Yes, there is a King Ranch edition pickup--runnin w brand as the logo.
They ain't cheap tho.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 09-11-2014).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Texas, meh.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not exactly on the way to Texas but I would take her to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. We took both our daughters when they were kids and we all had a good time and prices are reasonable.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always liked Western Texas, but I've always liked hot and dry myself.

If I was to go on vacation there with a kid it would be the Corpus Christie area.

Brad
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Born and raised in Texas. Love it there and I've been everywhere in Texas. You name it and I've been there.

And I'll be in Houston all next week. I love Houston. Dallas/Ft.Worth is great, Austin is beautiful, San Antone is sweet, Pan Handle, West Texas desert, the Gulf, the Valley or where ever. It's a great place. It may not be very scenic in a lot of places, but the people and places feel very comfortable to me.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I lived in El Paso for three years when I was a kid, it was OK, the western part of the state is definitely more the stereotypical 'Texas' she wants to see.

I went back to El Paso on business in January for the first time in 20 years, and it hasn't changed much.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I lived in El Paso for three years when I was a kid, it was OK, the western part of the state is definitely more the stereotypical 'Texas' she wants to see.

I went back to El Paso on business in January for the first time in 20 years, and it hasn't changed much.

For those who haven't been there, Southern Texas is not all that different from the West part of the state--except there aren't as many hills in the south.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, growing up (I was born in 1960), I never wanted to be a Cowboy, & we never played Cowboys & Indians.
We always played War.

Maybe it was the times?
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also vote for San Antonio. Can't go wrong with the Alamo (it's smaller than you think)

Amarillo is neat too. I like Cadillac Ranch. Bottom line there is lots of interesting places to go and things to do in all the big parts of Texas. Houston is probably the least tourist friendly, IMO.

The coast is fun, but it's not "pretty" beaches until you get closer to Mexico. Galveston has lots of neat touristy things, it the beaches suck, especially during seaweed season
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flew down and drove a car back for a friend in the mid 70s, only thing I liked was the drive threw package stores. Hell I couldn't understand a dam word most of the locals said when I talked to them. Still have a hard time when Cliff or others from there have called me at different times, hell most times I just handed the phone to my interpreter, they talk funny down there.

But as far as what to see I got nothing, I got the hell out of there as fast as I could, being a Yankee and driving a TA of a friends, and a black one at that without a cowboy hat all I wanted to do was get the hell out of there. I figured they would hang me if I ever got stopped in a black trans am with Texas plates and a Massachusetts drivers license.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 09-11-2014).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
So... my daughter seems to be obsessed with Texas.

Ever since she was about 3 years old, she talks about it all the time. I have no idea what it is about Texas that she seems to like so much, she's never been there. She keeps saying that that is where she wants us to go for vacation. She tells me at least once a week that when she becomes an adult, she wants to move to Texas (for reference, she's 5 right now). She was telling me the other day how one of her substitute teachers in kindergarten used to live in Texas and she has an accent, and that she used to be a cowgirl (she told me this very excitedly).

Is this her ...

Five years old. Okay, my thoughts. She wants to go to Texas. I don't think you can interest her in Maine. Perhaps so, but I don't think she would fully appreciate it. She wants to go to Texas. This is your chance to rock her world.
I don't think she would appreciate Houston or the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex either. In Houston, NASA would be the coolest thing perhaps for her. The best thing is the San Jacinto monument on the battle ground where Texas defeated Santa Anna and won independence. A sacred site. The battleship Texas is also there. Dallas/Ft Worth ? Six Flags (of Texas) amusement park and Cowboy football stadium. As maryjane mentioned, both big cities like elsewhere.
San Antonio is also a big city but it is a tourist meca, ripe with history. Again, I think she may be to young to appreciate the history. The Alamo is very worth seeing but is just one of five missions, all restored, all American National Historic entities. There is a road, Mission Road, which takes you to all of them. San Antonio also has a Six Flags and also a Sea World.
A reason you might choose to visit San Antonio is that it is also in close proximity to many 'dude ranches'. Your daughter could experience "being a cowgirl". You would rock her world.
I also have to say that ... as maryjane says, even though west Texas and south Texas are the same scenic wise, scrub brush mesquite bushes (with the exception of a more hilly area in west Texas), the Big Bend area is something to behold. It is also an American National Park. A site to behold. I would expect 'dude ranches' to be there also but I don't think so.
Let me leave you with this ...
I could tell you what like about Texas but we would be here all night long.

Let me know when you will get here. We can go out cattle rustling together.

Originally posted by Boondawg:
You know, growing up (I was born in 1960), I never wanted to be a Cowboy, & we never played Cowboys & Indians.
We always played War.

I always am saddened when I hear the plight of deprived souls. You never had a set of 'rootin' tootin' Roy Roger six shooters with holsters, ?
Just so you know, while growing up, in Texas (born in '59), I never played Cowboys and Indians either. It was the times.
We always played Cowboys and Cowgirls, . I kid but a true story ...
Once, a few of us went on a triple date. To a Cowboy (country and western bar) watering hole, live music, etc. I went in but came back out and sat in the car listening to rock-n-roll. The other guys soon also came out and we went cruising, coming back later to pick up the gals. It started as a short trip to get high, but we got stoned/lost.
I am a dummy. It took me a long time to realize that cowgirls are hot, . We also were probably lucky we didn't lose our girlfriends, .
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for South Padre Island. Forget North and West Texas.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT TO ADD

The Big Bend area is also home to the Ft McDonald observatory. I think the second best observatory in the US, perhaps the first. Your daughter would love that.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stay in downtown Ft Worth and go to the stockyards. You will get a real "feel" for stereotypical Texas in a touristy package.

http://www.stockyardsstation.com/attractions
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll just add that having driven through 40 or so states on a few cross country trips, Texans are the only ones who will pull over to let you go by.

Shocked me the first time it happened and I figured it was a freak incident but then it happened again, and again.

Oh and real Texans apparently think that the cities aren't so much IN Texas as SURROUNDED by Texas.
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alamo is cool, Johnson space center, South Padre Island, Austin was neat. Not hard to find a rodeo going on somewhere.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think if you drove from Florida you could hit a lot of what Texas has to offer.
You could see East and then down by the coast and then head for the hill country.
I wouldn`t go much further than San Antonio as West of that gets pretty barren, dry and kind of scrubby.
There is a lot around Austin but these days the city is somewhat of a nightmare to drive in, even during the middle of the day.
Even though it`s a main artery avoid IH35 if at all possible through Austin.
There is a toll loop that goes all the way around it.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take her to maryjane's and have him put her to work and break her of this craziness right away. I know nothing about the real Texas other than some industry. I think San Antonio is almost as gay as San Francisco and I think a river runs threw it.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I married a girl from texas once.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You gotta do this with your daughter. It will be too much fun with a five year old.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I married a girl from texas once.

Do all your ex's live in Texas?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

Take her to maryjane's and have him put her to work and break her of this craziness right away. I know nothing about the real Texas other than some industry. I think San Antonio is almost as gay as San Francisco and I think a river runs threw it.

Nah, I don't even put the 4h/FFA kids to work around here, but I could take her and Todd about 24 miles down the road and let her meet this lady:

Her bull (Mick E. Mouse) is 17-0 in PBR--never been ridden. Ranked #7 in the world.

Here's her story and she's a true Texas cowgirl.

http://www.pbr.com/en/news/...2/11/mouse-tale.aspx
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I miss texas every day
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its just a kid thing...

I remember when I was in elementary school I used to wanna move to NYC (never had been there) and play football for the Jets (werent even my favorite team , lol)

either that or move to NYC and fight crime like my spiderman comics.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:
Take her to maryjane's and ...

Originally posted by cliffw:
Let me know when you will get here. We can go out cattle rustling together.

We can rustle maryjanes cattle. Even though illegal, and a hanging offense, we won't have to worry about it. He has guns !
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

its just a kid thing...

I remember when I was in elementary school I used to wanna move to NYC (never had been there) and play football for the Jets (werent even my favorite team , lol)

either that or move to NYC and fight crime like my spiderman comics.

Not missing much.. NYC is a decaying s*** hole.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My only experiences of Texas was San Antonio (Air Force basic training), Wichita Falls (Sheppard AFB training), driving across Texas in 1972 returning from my AF career and the first Red River ruckus and crossing the OK border into Texas.. It is a big state for driving.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Do all your ex's live in Texas?

They do in fact.

I ran into one about a year ago at Sam's club, I was talking to my realtor on the phone about buying my first home, she was working a sample booth! Felt good since she said I was going nowhere and I was dragging her down.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 09-16-2014).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A nice thing about Austin is the low mosquito count. On my first visit there, I noticed it, and then later we learned why.
It's a definite plus.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:
A nice thing about Austin is the low mosquito count. On my first visit there, I noticed it, and then later we learned why.

Couldn't compete with the infestation of Dumbocrats, ?
Why ?
Saying Austin does not have mosquitoes is like saying they don't have fire ants.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Why ?
Saying Austin does not have mosquitoes is like saying they don't have fire ants.

I only lived in Texas for 9 years, but I thought it was widely known that the large population of bats kept the mosquitos tolerable. My own observation was my first hotel stay there when I went to a concert. I stood out on the balcony looking at the lake and noticed there were almost no bugs at all. A few weeks later I saw something on TV that said all the bats in Austin keeps the mosquitos and other bug populations reduced.
I said "low" numbers of mosquitos, not "none".

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock