Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Looking for help on mounting curtain rod.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking for help on mounting curtain rod. by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 07-17-2014 09:46 PM
Replies: 19 (278 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 07-19-2014 09:47 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for some idea's on mounting this curtain rod, the cement edges are not square, making it difficult to mount.

Rod is not long enough to mount on the flat wall edge, and curtain just wide enough for the inside window opening.

Thanks for any ideas.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since this is a garage I would thingk you are going form over function. With that said I would square the opening pieces of poly shim stock held in place with double faced tape. Maybe I am thinking of it too simply but that is where my mind goes.

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Looking for some idea's on mounting this curtain rod, the cement edges are not square, making it difficult to mount.

Rod is not long enough to mount on the flat wall edge, and curtain just wide enough for the inside window opening.

Thanks for any ideas.

WBailey1041

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Concrete hardware = super easy

http://youtu.be/djotP-sR4mU
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, you could always get a set of these, and epoxy them to the wall...or, you could actually just build something like this out of sheet metal. I've seen these in plastic...but both of them were half circles that had pressure sensitive adhesive pads on the back. You just pressed them in place, and set your curtain rod in them.

Closet Flanges
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X2 what litespd said. Home depot. 2 bucks.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 07-17-2014).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And in other news... Dave is now "mounting" things other than women!
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

Dave, you could always get a set of these, and epoxy them to the wall...or, you could actually just build something like this out of sheet metal. I've seen these in plastic...but both of them were half circles that had pressure sensitive adhesive pads on the back. You just pressed them in place, and set your curtain rod in them.

Closet Flanges

Also some are made from wood:

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the idea's posted. The closet flanges look good, I still need to address how to use those with the angled edges of the window sill.

Here's a little more infomation, the window is not square, the edges are angled. The lower example is what I have. ( not to scale )

The flange may work with the angle, will need to try it to see.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The closet flanges look good, I still need to address how to use those with the angled edges of the window sill.

"Bend to fit" regular curtain rod end hanger brackets.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curtains in the garage? Do they have a nice floral print?

For max light and max security with min cleaning, go for window film.

or get a border and embellish.

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 07-18-2014).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Build wood to level the bevel?
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
Curtains in the garage? Do they have a nice floral print?

If I don't quit messin' with my wife's home decorating, she is threatening to decorate my shop, .
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are talking about the same thing as everyone else, cliff? Not quite sure.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This kind, above the window on the wall dont need to be set wider than window:

Or you could go with a garage style

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-18-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shim it, WTF its not rocket science, shim the sides you need to, or you could get real creative and cut the wooden dowel at the angle you need so that it doesn't matter if the wall is flat.

If this is a garage who cares what it looks like, hell if it was me I wouldn't even put up curtains unless they were fiberglass because if they were in my shop I would surer than sh!t catch them on fire with my welding.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-18-2014).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well since this is O/T I guess this will be OK.

You could always ask this guy for curtain advice:

(Man, I knew I kept this picture for some reason)
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DUDE !!!

You are asking advice, on a car forum, about how to hang curtains in a GARAGE ????

YEH, OK......ok.....back slowly away from the window ....now go find your staple gun....now go steal your wifes favorite blankie....

10 or 12 shots and the blankie is pinned to the wall, that blinding annoying sunlight is stopped, and Dianne your wife will forgive you in about 2 months over taking her blankie....(yeh, not really she still hates me for it, but what the hell, it was an old blanket anyway)

<edit>

Nevermind, curtains may be the way to go....I've seen the angry red-head over my choice of window coverings---wont be doing THAT again in my lifetime.....

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 07-19-2014).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to those that supplied usefull information.

Because of cement walls, I asked for help.

Post has run it's course. Thanks.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to those that supplied usefull information.

Because of cement walls, I asked for help.

Post has run it's course. Thanks.

Glue wedges of wood cut at the right angle to the cement with "hard as nails" construction adhesive.
I have to ask, is it for your garage or was the poster who said that wrong?

Steve
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id just use cheap stamped sheet metal brackets. You can bend them any angle you need. $1.50 a pair at any store like KMart, Walmart, HomeDepot, even Walgreens Drug stores. You can mount them with concrete nails, or get a masonary bit and put inserts in the cement and use regular screws. Way too much overthinking here.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-19-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock