Started on: 06-15-2014 02:55 AM
Replies: 11 (128 views)
Last post by: User00013170 on 06-15-2014 02:26 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I got board and due to some recent discussions within our local Fiero club I got curious (which always seems to get me in trouble) I wanted to see how hard it would be to setup a forum. Something without ads, something with internal image hosting and the ability to host videos as well as even host files. All without any 3rd party email selling, or ads on the site or spam. I already pay for a server and have unlimited bandwidth with my package. I don't have the intention of it being any type of Fiero or even really a public forum. Its just going to be a place for my friends to hang out and chat. Someplace AWAY FROM FACEBOOK. Someplace away from Drama, and if I see 2 of my friends fighting its my choice to click SUSPEND until I have had a chance to chat in person or on the phone with them.

So off I went looking for forum stuff, all the "free forums" out there are ad based, most of the Pay forums don't offer anything fancy. PHPBB software seems to make its money from selling server / hosting packages to people that want to run their software, so I started there. I downloaded the software checked out to see what the install was like, uploaded it to my server and started the install, I had to contact my Server Host to get some of the configuration information, but everything went fairly smoothly.

Now here is where you guys come in, I need some people to create accounts, and start uploading things, posting things and let me know how it is working. I have one issue right now that I can't seem to figure out with another user, every time he posts, I have to authorize it. I can see that being required for a first time post, but I thought that would go away once I approved his first post. Can anyone else offer any suggestions on why it keeps blocking him from making more posts.

I would also like people to let me know how "snappy" it feels. I had an issue early on with it being slow, but have since gotten that issue fixed, or at least I think its fixed.

So please give it a shot and see how it works. Be aware this is very early on, I have not even decided on a colour scheme or even created a logo for the site yet.

So here it is, http://captfiero.com/forum

Let me know how it works for you.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Brucepts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been using PHPBB for a few years now to host my forum, averages about 10,000 hits a day and has worked flawlessly other than when my host goes down. Easy to maintain, lots of free support via forums, I keep mine simple with only one Paypal Donate button and no ads. My host has it loaded so all I had to do was set it up.

Check the user group setting in the admin for privileges for the new user group. Probably set to authorize/moderate before posting till they meet a certain post count.

Only problem I have is BOTS attacking the registration. I keep mine setup so I have to approve new users before they have full access to my forum. I changed my registration so they have to answer a question about something on the forum page and it has all but stopped the BOTS now but I still manually approve new users. It's pretty easy to weed-out the BOTS for real users.

www.flowbenchtech.com/forum

------------------
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
http://www.flowbenchtech.com

[This message has been edited by Brucepts (edited 06-15-2014).]

Brucepts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brucepts

314 posts
Member since May 2001
Did you load a PHPBB style for your forum? I get a pretty generic page when I click your link?

Not even bringing up the default style for me, I'm using Pale Moon browser

------------------
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
http://www.flowbenchtech.com

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-15-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Formatting looks like poo in chrome on *nix.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff doesn't take too kind to people having other Fiero forums and promoting them here. Be careful.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Cliff doesn't take too kind to people having other Fiero forums and promoting them here. Be careful.

I don't have the intention of it being any type of Fiero or even really a public forum. Its just going to be a place for my friends to hang out and chat.

And for some reason some of my extra txt from the above post vanished ( im sure i hit something and erased it... ) but i did something like this years ago and used citadel. Even supports jabber clients if you want to support real time chats.

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 06-15-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I don't have the intention of it being any type of Fiero or even really a public forum.

Woops.
Already mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 06-15-2014).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brucepts:

I have been using PHPBB for a few years now to host my forum, averages about 10,000 hits a day and has worked flawlessly other than when my host goes down. Easy to maintain, lots of free support via forums, I keep mine simple with only one Paypal Donate button and no ads. My host has it loaded so all I had to do was set it up.

Check the user group setting in the admin for privileges for the new user group. Probably set to authorize/moderate before posting till they meet a certain post count.

Only problem I have is BOTS attacking the registration. I keep mine setup so I have to approve new users before they have full access to my forum. I changed my registration so they have to answer a question about something on the forum page and it has all but stopped the BOTS now but I still manually approve new users. It's pretty easy to weed-out the BOTS for real users.

www.flowbenchtech.com/forum

I will double check the bots stuff, as I actually made the registration section really loose to try and get past the moderated post thing. So I will tighten that back up.
Maybe I'll make registration have to answer a question about me, that way only my real friends will be able to answer it, LOL. Something like who is the forum owners wifes name or what is my favorite car...

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by Brucepts:

Did you load a PHPBB style for your forum? I get a pretty generic page when I click your link?

Not even bringing up the default style for me, I'm using Pale Moon browser

I did load a non default style sheet. Acid something or other. I'll try loading the page on a different PC to see what it looks like.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by User00013170:

Formatting looks like poo in chrome on *nix.

Hmm I'll download chrome and see whats going on. If the current style sheet is causing this many issues, maybe I'll revert to the original or change it to something else. However I don't like the original one it comes with. Too bland for me.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by User00013170:

And for some reason some of my extra txt from the above post vanished ( im sure i hit something and erased it... ) but i did something like this years ago and used citadel. Even supports jabber clients if you want to support real time chats.

Thank you avengador for pointing that out, I am well aware of this, however this forum is not in any way going to be a competition to the great and mighty pff. Hence why there is only one small section for generic Fiero Stuff. I could not have a personal Forum without at least mentioning Fiero's which is a great section of my life. As I said its going to be for a small group of personal friends.

Hmm citadel I'll have to look into that.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nm. wrong link.

looks the same with iceweasel too

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 06-15-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock