Started on: 04-16-2014 09:01 AM
Replies: 23 (459 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 04-19-2014 11:22 AM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made a post about my Fiero being mistakenly thought to have been made by Toyota by some shmuck who pulled into my driveway here and in General Fiero Chat as well, because well it is about Fieros now isn't it. and of course I got into and argument. big surprise right, about it with some of the more anal no it all's in chat about how Toyota has more American content in it than say a GM, Ford, Chrysler vehicle, so I did a little research about the study he posted about American content in cars.

the study the guy in chat posted to try and derail my Fiero mistaken for a Toyota thread was so flawed because it doesn't include so many things that should be taken into account when figuring something like that out. but don't let that stop someone from finding the truth and I did.

Anyway I found this more comprehensive study about % of the cars made in the US that are actually US made.

New Auto Index Redefines "American Made" Cars

The Kogod Made in America Auto Index, shown in full below, was assembled by Associate Professor Frank DuBois, an expert in global supply chain management, at American University's Kogod School of Business. Among other sources, the data was compiled from publicly-disclosed American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) reports as of February 2013, and accounts for the following factors:
•Profit Margin: Where the automaker's global headquarters is located
•Labor: Where the car is assembled
•Research and Development
•Inventory, Capital, and Other Expenses: Location of assembly
•Engine and Transmission: Location of production
•Body, Interior, Chassis, Electrical, and Other: Location of production
•National Highway Traffic Safety Administration AALA "Domestic Content" Score

Note that some highly similar vehicle models that varied on the basis of trim lines or engine and transmission options were aggregated together for ease of comparison, resulting in 253 total vehicles indexed. As there were multiple tie scores, there are a total of 72 ranked positions.

Read more about the Kogod Made in America Auto Index in Kogod Now
For all media inquiries or questions about Frank DuBois's research

http://kogodnow.com/autoindex/

click the link for the list by % American made cars and it might just surprise you just how wrong all those studies that everyone says are right.

you can even search for just your vehicle, but of course it is a recent study and doesn't go back far enough to list our Fieros but it does prove my point, that GM cars are more American than Toyota, (Notice I spelled Toyota right, some anal retentive ass hole thought couldn't spell Toyota because I use my (Toilettota) Spelling)

Just thought I should inform the uninformed who believe all the propaganda put out in the media.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I know is my bike is assembled in the USA by a US company with 60% US made parts. I'd say that's about as close to "Made in the USA" as anyone can get. Even beats Harley (with 50% US made parts ). (NOTHING mass produced with electronics can be 100% "made in the USA". We just don't produce good AND cheap electronics.) I forget where my '04 Blazer was assembled and don't care. Wherever it was, they did a good job.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats been a huge arguement for years about Fender guitars and Peavey guitars. They are both made in the USA and PRIDE themselves on that fact, but Fender uses China made parts. Peavey SUPPOSEDLY does not. I'll never know the truth though.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-16-2014).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A large portion of the loads I haul go from Mexico to GM, and back. The plants in Mexico make all the parts, and China, then ship everything to another plant, north of the border where it's assembled, shipped around some more, and finally up to GM.

Good old "Made in the USA". (Out of parts from other countries)

Brad
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

All I know is my bike is assembled in the USA by a US company with 60% US made parts. I'd say that's about as close to "Made in the USA" as anyone can get. Even beats Harley (with 50% US made parts ). (NOTHING mass produced with electronics can be 100% "made in the USA". We just don't produce good AND cheap electronics.) I forget where my '04 Blazer was assembled and don't care. Wherever it was, they did a good job.

Henry Repeating Arms.
Made in the US, with receivers and barrels made of US sourced material in the US and American Walnut stocks.
Their corporate motto: “Made in America, or Not Made at All”

http://www.henryrifles.com/
http://www.henrywisconsin.com/aboutus.html
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look at newer peterbuilts... made in china pretty much
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find that list (and your entire premise) quite amusing.

Given... There are a bunch of GM cars at the top. But if you call 50% the "break even" point, we've got tons of Japanese cars way above that.
Most of the Japanese "bread and butter" cars.
Honda Odyssey at 78.5%
Toyota Camry at 78.5
Toyota Tundra at 78.5
Toyota Sienna at 78.5.
along with a metric crapload of other Japanese cars at 69% and above.
We have the Camaro, the darling of the "red blooded American boy" at 68.5, which is a scant 2% better than the Honda Accord, CRV and Civic.

Shall we go for "below 50%"?
Obviously you have a bunch of BMWs, VWs and Mercedes.

Below 50% we also have any number of Chrysler products. No surprise there, considering that Fiat is the parent company.
And a lot more Japanese and Korean cars.

Coming in with surprisingly low USA content, we have...
Lincoln MKZ at 36%
Ford Fusion at 34%
Cadillac SRX at 32%

Most of the popular Japanese cars have nearly as much domestic content as the "traditional US" brands.
And some of the popular "domestic" brands have surprisingly little. (The Fusion stands out. Ford is selling those things by the trainload, last I heard.)

What was your argument again?
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

look at newer peterbuilts... made in china pretty much

I drove a 2015 the other day, and I gotta say, I'm in LOVE. It rode smoother than the Freightliner, had considerably less sway (That top heavy feel you get from Volvo and Freightliner), and the automatic was excellent, and the interior was top notch (and real wood for the bunks)... Too bad I was taking it to a Peterbilt shop with only a few hundred miles on the clock. The Computer system was throwing fits,so it had to go back to get fixed.

Brad
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't care where a car is built, however I do care, what heart and soul the car has. I would take a 77 Trans Am over say a 77 Celica any day, however there are the "import guys" that drool over the older Celica's. I would almost sell a let testicle for a Lexas LFA.... oh wait, my left and right testicle would barley get me the down payment on one of those. The Ultima GTR which is my all out DREAM car, its designed by I think a British Company but powered by BLOOD SCREAMING CHEVY POWERTRAIN. American cars have always been Muscle Cars, compared to the Import cars, you show me a weak kneed American car, and its probably designed or built by or for the Import market.

When people think Made in America, they think Big Tough, Over the Top design. Something designed for a specific job and then double the strength. Sadly a lot of the tools that my father bought and handed down to me, like Craftsman tools, if I break it and want warranty replacement, half the time I don't even bother as the new Craftsman stuff is better labeled Crapsmen. I'll take my Husky tools almost any day of the week. (Do they even sell Husky in the USA?)

As to electronics, I honestly can't think of a Made in America electronic device.... Especially not anything we own, about the closest electronic thing we have that even has an American name on it is our new Maytag washer and dryer. (front loading / steam washer and steam dryer, does not have a single mechanical button on it, has more electronics than my first few VCR's and smarter than some smart phones) I'll bet that 99% of it is Made in another country.

So what I am trying to say is, when you buy something in todays day and age, look for over the top build quality, and things done to excess before you look to see where its made, you'll probably get better results.

WAIT I think I did think of something that is electronic and made in the USA that I own, my Mamba Monster 2 ESC for my RC Car. (Hey its a 22v 60mph Radio Control Car not really a toy, so don't judge me, LOL)

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the prime difference of this study and all the others is that it takes into account where the global head quarters is of the parent company.

Was made by someone who is familiar with the global supply chain of car manufacturers.

Took into account just how many cars were made and sold in America from the plants in America.

having just 2 or 3 plants in the US does not a US manufacturer make, when the majority of a companies assembly plants that build cars for the US are not in the US then that kind of puts a kink in the made in USA label.

And many other factors most of the other studies don't.

Steve
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I think the prime difference of this study and all the others is that it takes into account where the global head quarters is of the parent company.
Was made by someone who is familiar with the global supply chain of car manufacturers.
Took into account just how many cars were made and sold in America from the plants in America.

And taking that into consideration, a shitload of Hondas and Toyotas still came up as "American" cars.

Nice job!
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

what heart and soul the car has.

Cars have soul these days?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

And taking that into consideration, a shitload of Hondas and Toyotas still came up as "American" cars.

Nice job!

evidently not by this study, but then people believe what they want and the studies they want.

Steve
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(media) Propaganda by any other name (or source) is still propaganda.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just quit buying new cars.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I made a post about my Fiero being mistakenly thought to have been made by Toyota by some shmuck who pulled into my driveway here and in General Fiero Chat as well, because well it is about Fieros now isn't it. and of course I got into and argument. big surprise right, about it with some of the more anal no it all's in chat about how Toyota has more American content in it than say a GM, Ford, Chrysler vehicle, so I did a little research about the study he posted about American content in cars.

The implication he made was that the Fiero was a Toyota built car rebadged for Pontiac (like Toyota Matrix badged as Pontiac Vibe). IT IS NOT.
Of course parts likely came from everywhere, and even if some electrical parts came from Japan, that would not make the Fiero "Japanese built".

My 2000 Honda Goldwing is "Made in America" and was even recognized as "American Product" when I imported it into Canada.
I'm pretty sure almost everything was shipped from Japan and the bikes were just assembled here.

They were assembled at a plant in Ohio from 1979 to 2009. They're manufactured in Japan once again.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068561.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-18-2014).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just stirring the pot a bit....Up until a few years ago, the Honda Goldwing was assembled in Marysville, OH (USA) by HondaUSA (Honda America? something like that). HondaUSA (?) wasn't just the US branch of Honda but a subsidiary of it. It was run by US citizens, the majority of the stock was owned by US citizens, it was assembled by US citizens in a US facility (using US utilities, paying US taxes..............). It used US sourced steel (I used to haul quite a bit of it from the Gary, IN mills), too. I heard that 75% of the parts were sourced in the US. That would make it more "American made" than both Victory and Harley.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it... thanks for posting!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

evidently not by this study, but then people believe what they want and the studies they want.
Steve

How do you figure? This is the study that you posted.

Honda Odyssey at 78.5%
Toyota Camry at 78.5
Toyota Tundra at 78.5
Toyota Sienna at 78.5.
Honda Accord at 66.5
Hinda CRV at 66.5
Honda Civic at 66.5%

The Odyssey, Camry, Accord, and Civic are the "bread and butter" cars for their manufacturers.

According to your list, that makes them more American than not. And more American than many "American" vehicles.

Not the I would consider running out and buying one of them. (Although my wife owns an Odyssey. It's been freaking bulletproof.)
I just went out and bought a used 2010 G6, because I wanted a Pontiac.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-18-2014).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Honda Odyssey at 78.5%
Toyota Camry at 78.5
Toyota Tundra at 78.5
Toyota Sienna at 78.5.
Honda Accord at 66.5
Hinda CRV at 66.5
Honda Civic at 66.5%

The Odyssey, Camry, Accord, and Civic are the "bread and butter" cars for their manufacturers.

According to your list, that makes them more American than not. And more American than many "American" vehicles.

Not the I would consider running out and buying one of them. (Although my wife owns an Odyssey. It's been freaking bulletproof.)

As has plainly been pointed out before by myself and others:

If the headquarters and the CEO reside in Seoul or Tokyo, they aren't American car companies.
Their products may be made here, but even by a very generous stretch of the definition I just don't see how anyone can consider a Hyundai Or a Honda or a Toyota to be an American car.
I dunno what to think about Chrysler Corp these days......

------------------

I speak English. Sue me.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 04-18-2014).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Cars have soul these days?

Yep, your darn right they do, on many occasion I have asked my car, to baby please, Hold This Corner You Can Do It......... Just a few more miles please, I know there is a gas station ahead, or OH CRAP PLEASE STOP, PLEASE STOP........

Then thanked her when she performed great. I don't think there is a person on this forum that has not spoken to in a loving manor or cursed over a broken thing at one point or another. Not to get religious but, I believe most things in my life have a soul.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Honda Odyssey at 78.5%
Toyota Camry at 78.5
Toyota Tundra at 78.5
Toyota Sienna at 78.5.
Honda Accord at 66.5
Hinda CRV at 66.5
Honda Civic at 66.5%

the study I linked to in my OP said this

GM GMC Acadia 88.5 %
GM Buick Enclave 88.5 %
GM Chevrolet Traverse 88.5 %
Chrysler Dodge Avenger 87.5 %
Ford Ford F-Series Pickup 87.5 %
Chrysler Chrysler 200 87 %
Chrysler Jeep Wrangler 86 %
Chrysler Jeep Compass 86 %
Chrysler Jeep Patriot 86 %
Ford Ford Mustang 85 %
GM Chevrolet Corvette 85 %
GM Chevrolet Equinox 85 %
GM Chevrolet Terrain 85 %
Chrysler Dodge Durango 84 %
Chrysler Jeep Grand Cherokee 84 %
Chrysler Dodge Ram 83.5 %
GM GMC Sierra 83.5 %
GM Chevrolet Silverado 83.5 %
GM Chevrolet Avalanche 83.5 %
GM Cadillac Escalade 83.5 %
GM Chevrolet Suburban 83.5 %
GM Chevrolet Tahoe 83.5 %
GM Denali 83.5 %
GM GMC Yukon 83.5 %
GM Chevrolet Express 83 %
GM GMC Savana 83 %
GM ATS 82.5 %
GM Cadillac CTS 82.5 %
GM XTS 81 %
GM Chevrolet Malibu 81 %
GM Malibu Hybrid 81 %
GM Buick LaCrosse 31 81 %
GM Buick Regal 81 %
Toyota Avalon 81 %

http://kogodnow.com/autoindex/

Same link I posted in my first post. I don't know what study you were reading.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-18-2014).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Same link I posted in my first post. I don't know what study you were reading.

The same one! Look down the list a little bit.

The Odyssey is four lines below the Avalon. Then the Camry. Then the Tundra. Then the Sienna. All at 78.5% (Along with the Canyon and Colorado)
Twenty lines below them is the Camaro at 68.5%
Just under the Camaro are the Accord, CRV, and Civic, all at 66.5%

Maybe not as much "American" content as the top of the list, but still significantly more than 50%.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-19-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The same one! Look down the list a little bit.

The Odyssey is four lines below the Avalon. Then the Camry. Then the Tundra. Then the Sienna. All at 78.5% (Along with the Canyon and Colorado)
Twenty lines below them is the Camaro at 68.5%
Just under the Camaro are the Accord, CRV, and Civic, all at 66.5%

Maybe not as much "American" content as the top of the list, but still significantly more than 50%.

the higher the percentage the more American as far as I am concerned. As well as better for our countries economy. more of the companies profits and taxes help support US, GM has more plant in the US, more suppliers in the US, More workers in the US.

But as with any other study it is prone to being made to make a point by the originator of the study.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-19-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock